User Reviews for Esketamine to treat Depression (Page 2)

Also known as: Spravato

Esketamine has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 39 ratings for the treatment of Depression. 28% of those users who reviewed Esketamine reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Esketamine Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 190 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Esketamine

Kjo · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2020

Spravato (esketamine): “An exciting experience that lifts you into a different way of looking at many things. Colors and objects appear more enhanced and even strikingly different than usually experienced but quite interesting and most surprisingly more in depth.”

Hope · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “I went through a series of 6 ketamine IV infusions. It was life changing. The drawback being that the effects and relief lasted days/weeks. But when it is working it is miraculous. Due to a good response to the Ketamine but not able to prolong the effects, Spravato was prescribed for me. I began week 1 with 2 treatments( required 2 treatments every week for first 4 weeks). It is much milder, less intense, and effective in my view based on my response. Both dosages were at 56mg, the required initial dose. I believe that I may have better results with the 84mg and will be trying that dosage next week for week 2.”

RFM · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 3, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “I've been on esketamine and rapid TMS for over a month now and I'm starting to see some small improvements. 84mg gives me some intense reactions. I found that putting your head between your legs after you inject until it soaks in really amplifies the effects. I'd use regular ketamine but my insurance won't cover it and at $400 a visit that's not going to happen. I got approved to use Spravato for a year when needed and Jannsen Pharmaceutical is picking up my copay for now. They have a plan to pay for your medication if needed and 80,000$ net a year or less qualifies. I'm plan on switching to rTMS by itself soon. It only takes 5 minutes and no restrictions on my day.”

Jake · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 1, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “I began treatments with 56 mg which is four sprays using two syringes. It did not help with my depression so after the fourth treatment (two weeks) the dosage was increased to 84 mg (6 sprays using three syringes). For a week, I thought it might be helping a little, but came to realize it was not. I did start having increased anxiety, often very anxious when waking in the morning. After the first month of twice a week treatments and two additional weekly treatments, I stopped since I was convinced it was not helping my depression and was making me very anxious. My depression now seems worse than ever and my anxiety is at a high level. Spavato's Savings Plan reduced the cost of the medicine to only a co-pay of $10 per treatment. However the doctor charged $300 per visit which was not covered by my insurance. If others try Spravato, I hope you have better results. The doctor and staff were great and supportive. It was disappointing for me.”

Anonymous August 27, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “I posted my experience earlier and now I have done a total of 10 treatments of the nasal spray Spravato. 2 at 56mg and the rest at 84mg. After sessions 6 I started to feel a little lighter and less depressed but this lasted very shortly. The treatments after that did nothing for me. They are very intense and you get awful disassociation, dizziness, numbness. Its a complete out of body experience. For me the feelings were very bothersome & after I would leave I was done for the day. I couldn’t do anything just lay around. I guess if it worked for me I would have sucked it up & continued even though the side effects were so bothersome. Unfortunately for me this didn’t work and it cost me a fortune. Personally I wouldn’t advise others to do this until there is more research about it. It is still very new and drs are still learning by experimenting on us! However the one done by IV is not as new. I will continue to fight the fight but will never do Spravato again.”

Ana · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2020

Spravato (esketamine): “I would like to know if anyone else currently being treated with Spravato has had insomnia/flashback/extremely weird and vivid dreams? I have only completed 2 treatments so far and am curious as to how it is affecting others.”

Kari August 8, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “I have had 3 sessions of 56 mg. First time had the most dramatic side effects, very strong dizziness and disassociation. Next day I felt great. Second session had the worst reaction. Side effects last through the evening, dizziness and nausea. Next day I felt like my head was full of mud, couldn't make any decisions, had a blank look on my face all day...didn't feel like I was in this world. And the third session seemed to be somewhere in the middle. The side effects during and the evening of weren't too bad. The next day I functioned and went to work like a typical day. I can't say I have seen relief from my depression. Dr. thinks I should still give it a few more times. But I am going through a difficult time in my life so maybe my depression would be way worse if I didn't have the spravato treatments?”

STOP · Taken for less than 1 month March 8, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “I am astonished that this made FDA approval. In Emergency Room I was unknowingly given Ketamine IV last Fall and as it was being dripped I screamed for the RN with "What is that!!!" When he said "Ketamine" I said:" Get it out of me! I was told it was to "reset my brain" and I was not at all interested in that.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 22, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “So far I am on my 3rd time of doing the Spravato Nasal spray. 2x I did 56mg and one time the 82mg I believe. I feel exactly the same. No change at all!! My Dr told me to at least give it to the one month mark. It makes me feel awful during it I get the disassociation and dizziness along with every other side effect and I will say it takes me more than 2 hours to wear off. Pretty much the whole day. I am hoping the next few treatments work otherwise I have. Wasted a lot of time and money:-(”

Eddie · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 22, 2020

“Have been in a esketamine trial for nearly two years. Has been quite helpful. I have experienced only one real bad downtime(when getting out of bed is difficult, etc..) and it was much shorter, a few weeks compared to my normal of months. While the drug hasn't brought me up to where I want to be, it has really limited the bottoming out. I was in a very low state when I first started taking it and am much more functional.”

Mick · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 22, 2020

“I started taking Spravato nearly two months ago. Started at the 56 mg loading dose. At four weeks it had done nothing positive. So the doc upped it to the 84. First off that first double dose treatment had me on one hell of a trip. I really felt that I wasn’t coming back! After that treatment I was hung over, then treatment 2. After that I was sick as dog. Severe headaches and terrible nausea. Took me 5 days to recoup and as of today still with the headaches and nausea. Called the doc and stopped treatment altogether. I just can spend day after day feeling sick, not able to work, etc. This was a last ditch effort and now I don’t know just what I am going to do.”

Aileen · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “I am scheduled to begin Spravado next week. I’m very nervous, but am desperate to lift this depression of seven years. It would be so helpful if more people would comment about their experiences with Spravado. I could use the input!”

Spunkygirl8 February 4, 2020

“9 treatments. first three weeks, I felt some improvement. laughing, having motivation. Once a week and feel less depressed for 3 days .Then depressed. Treatment feels amazing! Had IV infusions very intense! I couldn't feel my body. Crazy hallucinations nothing scary. Enjoyable. Spravato I feel relaxed like the Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb! No visual disturbances. Listen to Simon and Garfunkel mellow but upbeat. No rock! I can feel my body, hearing is more sensitive. Music sounds great! Definitely a nasty taste in throat. Candy helps. I stop feeling the effects after 1 hour, drowsy hour 2. Then normal but rest at home. Headphones and playlist, bring a soft blanket, and eye mask. the experience is becoming less pleasurable. Antidepressant effect has been minimal. I wish I more IV was less $. Pure Ketamine is very helpful. For Spravato they've taken away one of the molecules. Research it please”

elandem · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2021

Spravato (esketamine): “I did a full month of treatments - 8 total at the 84 mg dose. I enjoyed the experience, however it did absolutely nothing to help my depression. I am going to try IV Ketamine infusions at some point, as I understand they are more effective for many reasons. I started with Spravato because it only cost $520 total for all 8 visits ($55 copay and $10 for Spravato thru the J&J program).”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 27, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “Depressed NO MORE.. Thanks Spravato”

Bruno · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 24, 2020

Spravato (esketamine): “Really Helped. IV is better, but this bridges the gap”

Still depressed · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “Have been on spravato for over a month now and developing headaches. My anxiety level is through the roof. Still sad but not crying. Going in for assessment tomorrow.”

Santa clause · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 27, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “I'm on Spravato and the 56 mg dose is too much. Sick for 4 days after. Then 1 or 2 ok days. Where are all the other reviews? Drs know all that I know. They are no help at all”

777993 October 15, 2019

Spravato (esketamine): “Anybody have increased suicidal thought on spravato?”

Captivating · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 13, 2020

“I am now the poster child for this medication esketamine it absolutely saved my life! and it also helped with substance abuse which I've struggled with my entire life.”