User Reviews for Empagliflozin / metformin to treat Diabetes, Type 2

Also known as: Synjardy, Synjardy XR

Empagliflozin / metformin has an average rating of 6.1 out of 10 from a total of 31 ratings for the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2. 52% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 32% reported a negative experience.

Empagliflozin/metformin rating summary

6.1/10 average rating

Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Diabetes, Type 2.

Reviews for Empagliflozin / metformin

Kisha · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · September 19, 2019

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “40 year old female. After being diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2 I made some serious changes. Before starting the Metformin I fasted for 5 days which helped reduce my glucose tremendously. After I followed/continued with exercise and watching what I ate I saw some amazing results. After about 1 month of being on Metformin my A1C went from 14 to 9. My Doctor reduced the Metformin dosage and started me on the combination pill Synjardy. After about 2 more months my A1C dropped to 6.5. So far it has worked great and I have maintained below a 7.0 A1C now for approximately a year. I have also loss weight with the medication. I had no negative side effects for the past year until now. For the past few months I’ve continued to get yeast infections. It’s gets treated and it comes back every month after my menstrual cycle. I am making the decision to stop taking the Synjardy and start another medication. Loved it before this uncontrollable side effect.”

K2usvi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · May 4, 2019

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “I’ve used Synjardy for 8 months. Thankfully my insurance covers it and with the savers coupon I have zero out of pocket expense which is awesome. So you might be wondering does Synjardy cause weight loss - yes it certainly has helped me lose weight as it suppresses my appetite. I do pee more and am thirsty. I do take vitamin B12 as it’s helped with energy and couple other side effects. Also the Syndjardy has made my A1C go down from a 11.8 to 4.9 within 6 months. Every so often I have tummy issues but have never thrown up from it. All in all it’s done wonders.”

Peonni · Taken for less than 1 month · February 8, 2021

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “It's unreal how quickly and drastically my fasting blood glucose dropped. Within 1-2 days it dropped approximately 100 points and I was thrilled! Now I should be able to stay off insulin for a while. (Whew!) I was already on 2000 mg of Metformin ER, and Glimepiride. I tried using Farxiga and I don't think it made a significant difference. But man! This Synjardy! Try it if you can. Only side effect for me was it may have made me thirstier than usual. No big deal.”

Carl19464 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · October 4, 2016

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “Update to my other review. The Dr's office was able to get things straightened out and I was able to get Synjardy for free with the discount card after all. I have been on it for about 9 months now. I have lost around 30lbs, my A1C went from 11.5 at diagnosis to 6.2 at my last Dr's visit and could probably be better if I didn't forget my afternoon dosage all the time. Average fasting BS went from 280's to 110's. I wish I could stay on this forever as it has worked great for me, but I'm sure the discount card program will end at some point. Have noticed increased urination, but nothing too terrible. My dosage is the 5mg-500mg pill twice a day.”

Carl19464 · February 29, 2016

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “I received a sample of Synjardy and have only been taking it for 4 days. I started off taking 850mg of Metformin twice a day and 5mg of Glipizide twice a day. I had good numbers on this, but the Glipizide was causing too many hypo episodes, so my Dr gave me a sample of Synjardy. The Synjardy has made my numbers more consistently 80-105 and I no longer have any hypo events. I have also lost 4 pounds in 4 days. The only negative I have noticed is having to drink and pee more. It has made me more prone to waking up a little earlier to hit the bathroom, but it hasn't been that bad. They have a savings card, but my insurance will not cover it at all, so I can't use the card and without that it is $431 a month, which I can not afford.”

Ruben J · Taken for less than 1 month · December 1, 2016

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “Ive been on it for a week now, since switching from metformin I've noticed no more aches and pains and have been able to workout since the 2nd day of changed! love this Synjardy so far using samples so have no idea on price and insurance but ill deal w that when it comes to it.”

Maze G · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · July 25, 2019

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “This drug is magical! Lowered my A1C from 11.8 to 5.4 in 3 months. For 6 months I was on 1000 mg/12.5 mg twice daily. My doctor has now decreased it to once daily. I dropped about 22 Kg in 6 months. I suffered from tolerable side effects such as upset stomach and hypotension. I don’t fee thirsty and urination frequency is normal. Made me hate red meat :)”

Lbs3 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 15, 2018

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “I love this drug! I have lost 17 pounds in 11 weeks and I feel great. No low blood sugar episodes anymore and no stomach issues like when just taking Metformin. I do have to pee a lot more due to increased thirst but it’s manageable. I am using samples because my insurance won’t cover any diabetes care ( short term plan with denied pre-existing condition coverage) so I’m worried what I will do when my dr can no longer give me samples. Starting AC1 before Synjardy on Met/glyburide was 8.8. Now I’m below 6 and it’s only been 3 months. Waking numbers used to be 160-190, now they are average 118-120. No side effects for me. Weight loss for me comes from feeling like I have eaten a ton of food when I really haven’t. I push my plate away earlier too. I m very active though and do intense cardio/training classes so maybe the combination of feeling better and medicine has kicked my metabolism into full speed. Lol.”

Spanky · November 29, 2018

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “Since I have been taking Synjardy for the passed six days I have been throwing up with uncontrollable bowels. I have never experienced this kind of side effect from not even plain ole metformin. I thought I was literally dying from all the throwing up. I will never take this medication again ever.”

SR · Taken for 1 to 6 months · October 17, 2020

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “My Doc prescribed Synjardy with 12.5mg/500 mg Metformin twice a day. My daily numbers dropped from 145 to 120 in last 2 months . Also my weight reduced by 10 lbs (7% of my total weight). But my blood pressure dropped to 100/60. Earlier it was 117/75. Starting to feel dizzy. Planning to talk to my Doc on low BP.”

T.A · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 18, 2019

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “After one month this medicine Synjardy brought my a1c down from 8.3 to 7.1. My glucose from 288 to 116. The only problem is that it is giving me vaginal yeast infection and it is severe. It goes away a week with meds and comes right back so I will have to stop. Also a little nausea. I was getting good results.”

Carla · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 8, 2019

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “I've been on Synjardy for about 3 months. Sugar levels are more consistent. No more sugar crashes and I've lost 13 lbs. No other side effects. It's working great for me! Dr gave me a coupon so I get it free for 12 months.”

Big Al · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 14, 2020

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “Dr. put me on Synjardy and after 3 months, with no change in diet my A1c went from 5.7 to 8.9!! For the money you would think it would be a miracle drug. I think I will stick with the cheaper metforman that maintained a 5.7 A1C”

Homer · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 19, 2020

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “It really help me lower my sugar but it gave me difficulty breathing and because of that I also couldn't sleep well. I wish Synjardi didnt have such side effect on me cause it really works. But with strict diet and exercise i have been able to keep my sugar in normal range.”

KC · Taken for less than 1 month · September 9, 2020

Synjardy XR (empagliflozin / metformin): “I was taking a dose of 2000mg of Metformin a day for several years. About 6 months ago my A1C went from 6.7 to 9. I was having severe fatigue and constant stomach pain and diarrhea. After extensive blood and stool tests were negative, my doctor added Synjardy XR 12.5 /1000 once a day. Four days later I was rushed to the hospital with severe dehydration and keto acidosis from diarrhea and vomiting. I have never been so sick in my life! After two days and nights of fluid in the hospital I came home and threw those samples away. I did loose 20 lbs though.”

luv2sew56 · Taken for 2 to 5 years · April 27, 2019

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “I have been using the Synjardy for the past 3 years and have found it is better than straight Metformin. I could not leave the house when I was taking 2 - 1,000Mg tablets of the Metformin. I am taking the 12.5/1,000Mg tablet 2 times a day and I am having no problems with it. It has lowered my morning glucose readings closer to 100, and my after meal readings under 180 which is what I needed. Seems like the mix of the two drugs works better than Metformin alone.”

Fixenstuff · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 9, 2020

Synjardy XR (empagliflozin / metformin): “I was on metformin 1000mg 2 times a day and that was able to manage my A1c to between 5.8 to 6.2. I then had a cardiac event, 90% LAD blockage and a subsequent stent. Then was placed on Synjardy. I have lost 8 Lbs in 8 weeks without any real effort and BG control is really good. Haven't had new a1c Yet. No real side effects. The first work day I felt I had a low BG, I didn't have my meter however I had some oatmeal with brown sugar and felt fine in about 20 minutes I have my meter with me at work now and BG will get to low 80's, high 70's before lunch...Nothing wrong with that.”

Jules · Taken for less than 1 month · June 24, 2018

Synjardy XR (empagliflozin / metformin): “Been on Synjardy XR for 1 week & 2 Days The first week I was told to take 1 tab a day for 7 days & yesterday was the 1st time I increased to taking 2 pills per day. My AC1 is a little over 8 & the Dr is trying to get it down to @ least 6. Samples given along with a prescription card. Dr said it would lower the cost. My ins. doesn't cover Synjardy XR & it costs $500 a month. A few days later I remembered about the card my Dr gave me. I called the pharmacy with card info & it went through. Costing me now $20 a month & the card is good for 1 year. On the first week really no side effects, I maintained the same weight all week. When I had to take 2 pills day, that's a different story. I better stay close to the bathroom until my body adjusts. Aside from being thirsty & having to urinate a lot, I have felt a few lows to the point where I get dizzy. Magnesium helps dizziness. I advise anyone who can't afford the Prescription to go to the website & see if you can get 1 of those prescription cards from their site.”

MadMomma · November 20, 2020

Synjardy XR (empagliflozin / metformin): “Third day taking this Synjardy XR I was feeling short of breath, dizzy, pain in belly. Doctor said to skip the evening dose. The next morning I couldn't stop vomiting. Blood sugar was in the 110s, rose to 180s. My feet, hands, and lips turned purple. In the ER, the triage nurse, upon hearing the medication I'd recently started, yelled out to get me on the list for an ICU room. (During Covid-19 pandemic) I was hospitalized for 5 days. ER doctor stated I was the 3rd patient that week who went in to Euglycemic Ketoacidosis who was on SYNJARDY XR! He says prior to this medication, DKA was usually seen in patients with blood sugars in the 600s, not 100s. My body chemistry was "not compatible with life." I've had three doctors state it was 100% the medication that caused me to almost lose my life. Now I'm in physical therapy. Unable to work. Wish I had gotten a 2nd opinion before starting this medication! It turned my life upside down. Prior to this, HbA1c was 6.9”

GrandChampion · Taken for less than 1 month · January 5, 2022

Synjardy XR (empagliflozin / metformin): “After being on Metformin ER for a number of years, and my numbers creeping up, my doctor suggested Synjardy XR. I agreed to try it, but was very apprehensive, esp., after reading about the serious side effects. Fatal gangrene of the genitals and perineum anyone? OMG could anything be worse! My doctor assured me those side effects were quite rare. After only 2 weeks, I ended up with a serious UTI. No way, no how and no thanks! Tossed them straight in the bin!”

Kev · Taken for 2 to 5 years · August 22, 2021

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “I take it along with Metformin ER and Ozempic. My A1c is in the low 6's but I'm not 100% sure which one helps the most though Ozempic led to a 30lb weight loss which I'm sure was a big factor. Unfortunately, the Synjardy savings card went from paying $70 to only $40 this past month so my out of pocket with insurance went from $30 to $60 per month. I may stop taking it soon to see it's real impact since their "pays up to $175 per month" card only covers $40!”

Cindy · November 26, 2021

Synjardy XR (empagliflozin / metformin): “My doctor gave me a coupon for a 14 day free trial of Synjardy. Previously I had been on 1500 mg of metformin and he wanted to get my A1C down to 6 or 7 from 8. Well, the first day I took it, I felt horrible. So tired I slept on the couch. Felt weak, nauseous, had major abdominal pain. Took it for 3 more days, each day with the same horrible side effects. I thought I was getting sick with the flu or something, but then read the Synjardy product information Every side effect I had was listed. Stopped taking the drug and felt absolutely fine again. I wish I could take it, but it made me feel absolutely horrible.”

Ron · Taken for less than 1 month · September 12, 2021

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “Been taking this medicine for five days, can’t sleep, have heart palpitations, nauseous dizzy and I respect other people who are successful. It just doesn’t work for me at all I’m going back to metaformin, will exercise better. I think this stuff is awful And it was $500”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months · April 30, 2022

Synjardy XR (empagliflozin / metformin): “So far it has been amazing in helping reduce blood sugar levels. For me, no side effects (maybe a little more tired throughout the days, perhaps a b12 vitamin could help. Been on this new med from just metformin for 2 months now and down 15+ lbs too. Hope I get to where I'm off meds all together and maintain things...”

Twink · Taken for 2 to 5 years · July 20, 2021

Synjardy (empagliflozin / metformin): “This medication has really controlled my blood sugar dramatically compared to Metformin alone. My HBA1C levels are at 6.8 currently. I have had a few yeast infection over the couple of years that I've been on Synjardy. But Miconozole ovules seem to take care of it. Much happier being on Synjardy compared to before.”