User Reviews for Eletriptan to treat Migraine

Also known as: Relpax

Eletriptan has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 159 ratings for the treatment of Migraine. 81% of those users who reviewed Eletriptan reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Eletriptan Rating Summary

8.3/10 average rating

Compare all 128 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Eletriptan

Na · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 25, 2021

Relpax (eletriptan): “I’ve tried at least 8 medications for migraines and this has been the best one. Works fast with limited side effects. One thing is after taking, I feel very emotional and sometimes very tired.”

ErinB · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2021

“Have tried Rizatriptan and Sumatriptan and meh. Some improvement, some of the time but usually get a rebound that is worse than the first. New neurologist wrote me script for eletriptan and I filled it out without much hope, stuck it away with my enormous supply of my migraine meds and almost forgot about it. Lo-n-behold, a week later a severe migraine hits, and I took my first eletriptan. Knocked me out (and quick) but when I woke up a couple of hours later the pain was gone. Gone?!?! I was utterly shocked and wanted to cry with relief as I absolutely HAD to go to work the next morning. The only medications that have ever broken my migraines in the past have been IV or IM steroids---seriously SHOCKED at how wonderful this worked. Haven't gotten a rebound yet and hoping I won't because it only took one dose to get it completely gone. So very grateful and praying it continues to work.”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 6, 2021

Relpax (eletriptan): “I have had migraines since 9 years old and I am now 29, and have also had episodes of blindness when I get them. I have been going to neurologists since I was little and was prescribed more medications than I can count that never touched the migraines. I also did botox and nerve blocks which didn’t seem to do the trick either. My migraines were affecting my life and career. After many failed prescriptions I finally tried relpax and was in disbelief when my migraine went away. This drug has changed my life for the better. I get back days I would have lost to pain. I honestly thought I would never find a drug that worked for me. As for side effects, they are mild. Muscles sometimes feel relaxed and sometimes I have small spasms, it can also make me feel slightly tired. I can function like usual and it my day proceeds as normal once I take my medicine.”

Rick · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 2, 2019

Relpax (eletriptan): “I lived with migraines since childhood. The pain, as many know, is excruciating. My life and work was severely disrupted. I never thought to seek treatment...literally just lived with it thinking there was no other choice. It took a number of attempts but I finally found a dr who specialized in migraine, provided tremendous education...and gave me Relpax. For me, it was like a miracle. After 40 years of suffering with migraine and all the dread and misery that comes with them...I found help. I am so thankful and very grateful for this medicine. It stops migraines and I feel normal.”

D · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2019

Relpax (eletriptan): “I have gotten chronic headaches and migraines since I was 5. I’m 30 now, and 2 years ago I discovered relpax after my mother had it prescribed to her for her migraines. She’s been a chronic migraine sufferer for 50 years. Nothing has EVER worked for either of us in our entire lives until we tried relpax. I of course let my dr. know I found something that worked (I didn’t care if it wasn’t prescribed to me at first, if you get migraines, you know how desperate you are to try anything that will help) and my dr now prescribes it to me. This drug has been an absolute life changer for my mother and I. I no longer have to worry about not being able to work, take care of my son, and most of all, SUFFER! Because I know if I have one of these, I’ll be migraine free (or sometimes at least mostly migraine free) within less than 2 hours. I’ve never lived life this way before, every move I made prior was based on “if” I have a migraine or not. I am finally living free.”

MenstrualMigraine · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2019

Relpax (eletriptan): “This worked wonders for my migraines, which I get 1-2 times monthly. Unmedicated, they last 24 hrs, and I would spend about half of that time in bed in agony. With Relpax, the pain goes away within an hour. Sometimes it comes back and I take another Relpax tablet, and it goes away for good (until the next time around). There are no drowsy or nauseous side effects for me, and I no longer miss work or need to reschedule activities. This has SAVED ME!!”

Duchess · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 31, 2019

Relpax (eletriptan): “I've suffered with migraines for over 25 years and found nothing that could help. Since migraines were something my family had, I thought that it was an inherited issue so never spoke to my doctor about it. It was only when the migraines increased in intensity and frequency that I finally went to the doctor who immediately prescribed relpax. My life now is unbelievably different. I can actually plan to do things more knowing that I have a backup that works quickly. I'm a pensioner and am able to get the drug at the pension rebate.”

Pharmacist withmigraine · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 29, 2015

Relpax (eletriptan): “I am a pharmacist and due to the stress of my job, I get horrific migraines. Tried the other Triptans. All of them made my heart feel like it was going to pound right out of my chest. But not Relpax. What a life saver! Expensive, yes! Worth it, ABSOLUTELY! Just FYI, I think a generic will be coming out in 2016. The only weird side effect I get is it makes me have to pee, which is fine except when you have a migraine, you want to lay there u til it goes away. Having to get up to use the bathroom every hour is a bit annoying. But still a very very small price to pay compared to dealing with the pain of a migraine!”

CLBM February 9, 2014

Relpax (eletriptan): “I started suffering migraines about 10 years ago and was given several Relpax samples. They were true lifesavers, nearly always working in about 30min (45min max). As the years wore on, I realized how expensive Relpax was, and my insurance didn't cover it. I've also used sumatriptan and naratriptan, having better luck with the naratriptan - but neither is nearly as fast or reliable for complete relief as Relpax is. Last fall, I was able to sign up for Pfizer's assistance program and I now get the Relpax for free. Seriously, I actually bawled I was so happy - this stuff is a lifesaver for me. Try the Pfizer Connection to Care for free Relpax if you can, the income limits are pretty reasonable and the paperwork isn't a huge hassle!”

DWW September 6, 2008

Relpax (eletriptan): “This is not an inexpensive drug, but it has completely taken care of my headache problems. I take one 40 mg Relpax at the beginning of my migraine (which is usually accompanied by nasal congestion), and I'm typically back to normal within one hour. For a long time I didn't realize I had migraines; I thought they were side effects of some kind of sinus infection. Once I started looking for a migraine remedy I tried a couple of migraine prescription drugs. Relpax was the most effective for me. (Different drugs work best for different people. Try a few until you find the one that works for you.) I'm very pleased with, and grateful for, Relpax. Instead of being out of commission for two days, I'm back to normal within an hour.”

Snowy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 26, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): “Relpax 40 mg is the most effective migraine medicine I have ever used. The generic eletriptan works fine also. I take one 40-mg tablet at the first onset of migraine, then take one additional tablet if my migraine is not gone in 1 hour. Over the years, I tried Imitrex injection (which made my migraine MUCH worse), ibuprofen (Motrin), and acetaminophen (Tylenol). Relpax beats all of these hands down. Without Relpax, there are many days that I would not be able to get out of bed. I do not have any side effects from this medicine. Thankful for this medicine.”

Pat March 13, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): “The medication itself works well, however the packaging is absolutely impossible to open! you have to use scissors to cut through the backing and then try to peel it back. when your vision is impaired and you can't tolerate ANY light and your hands are shaking because you are in so much pain this is a Herculean effort. My husband even struggled to open it for me when I couldn't. I wrote to Teva and got the thank you for your input brush off after a lengthy email exchange providing the packaging info. grrrrr looking for an alternate med now. It does me no good if i can't take it.”

Jry · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 24, 2016

Relpax (eletriptan): “Suffered w migraine headaches my entire life of 42 years. As of Nov '15 i was prescribed relpax and if taken as soon as migraine starts w a glass of water and 30-40 minute nap i feel brand new, however as miraculous as this medicine is, i can no longer afford it. Medical mystery pain such as migraine headaches shouldn't be made unaffordable. It's a shame...”

Crismissy January 5, 2010

Relpax (eletriptan): “I have tried Amerge, Maxalt, Imitrex, Zomig, Frova and Axert. I liked Amerge but I tended to use 2 pills. Imitrex ALWAYS made me sicker before it helped me. Zomig and Frova took away some of the pain and left the nausea. Maxalt made me so loopy I could hardly think and Maxalt Mlt wasn't as bad but made me so tired I couldn't function at work. Axert was good but insurance wouldn't cover it but I liked Relpax better because one pill nearly always killed it. In 3 years I have taken 2 pills only twice. Cons of Relpax: Expensive and will not go generic soon. Pre-packaged 6 pills to box (ask Pharmacist to put Rx in bottle with label) Pros: Low Nausea One pill takes away episode Pfizer has $15 off Rx program Doctor will often give samples”

ally66 · Taken for 10 years or more February 24, 2020

Relpax (eletriptan): “I started getting migraine late around 47 yrs old. I thought it was sinus headache. Relpax is the only medicine I've ever taken going on 12 years now. I am able to function normally -side effects minimal for me. I have relpax at work, in the car-just in case. I can't imagine how I would be able to function without it. The drug company assists me with the cost-I am very thankful”

Mainah · Taken for 10 years or more August 6, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): “I have had migraines for about 50 years. Tried everything. Dr. called and said to try Relpax...WOW miracle drug. What I don't understand is WHY OVER $900 a month WITH INSURANCE? Walgreens pharmacy, Bangor Maine. 40 mg tab 16 tablets a month and I had to get special permission to be allowed the 16 tablets. Relpax is ALL that has ever worked. I worry about the long term side effects on the heart but I guess dying early is better than a migraine. I do get residual effects the entire NEXT day - weak and lethargic, I move slower and take my time - at least I am pain free within 2 hours of taking Relpax and can work, function 80%. It makes me VERY weak..so lifting, running are impossible. I would not trade it for anything. NOTHING else has EVER worked and I refuse the generic, especially after reading reviews..IT IS NOT THE SAME. But why over $900. a month? Its a MAJOR FINANCIAL BURDEN, but I would rather die than suffer a migraine and I guess they know that. Sad USA.”

CR · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 14, 2019

“Eletriptan generic does not work at all, you may as well take nothing. I've taken the Relpax brand name for 20 years and it works if my migraine is caught early - but the generic does not lessen pain at all.”

GraceG23 · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 29, 2014

Relpax (eletriptan): “God bless the inventor of Relpax. I've had chronic migraines for over 20 years and have tried every triptan. No one works as dependably and thoroughly as Relpax 40mg for me. I can't imagine my life without it. It does make me feel tired, but I'll happily take that over migraine pain.”

SXLLOVE · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 30, 2013

Relpax (eletriptan): “I suffer from chronic migraines and a lot of the time need an abort medicine. This medicine did get rid of my headache. BUT it will make you feel like you got hit by a bus. You will be incredibly achy and will wish you still had a headache/migraine. My whole body would hurt for hours after taking this. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I take naratriptan (amerge) and I don't get achy at all and it knocks out my migraine just the same.”

Pisceswithmigraine · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 4, 2020

Relpax (eletriptan): “Do the side effects (jaw pain, yawning, chest tightness that makes you feel like its hard to breathe, general out of it feeling/inability to focus) kinda suck? Yeah. Does it ALWAYS work? No. Can I drive or work after I take it? Not for a few hours. I work in healthcare though, if it was a job where patient's health/lives wasn't in my hands it would probably be fine. Is it worth taking when I have a migraine? 100% yes. I've tried a lot of different triptans and a couple non-triptan options. Currently this is the best for me. When it works, it works in about an hour and I'd much rather have the side effects than the nausea and pain from the migraine.”

AKauff · Taken for 10 years or more March 24, 2015

Relpax (eletriptan): “I had to pay full price for the Relpax, until I found the coupon for 3 pills a month for $10.00. Although it is so very expensive, going to the hospital is far more costly! Recently, I had surgery, and developed a migraine while in the hospital. The hospital didn't carry Relpax, so my husband had to bring it from home. When I get a migraine, Relpax is the only relief for me! Being a senior and on limited funds, I wish it were cheaper! I have had migraines all my life as well as my father did also. It has been a miracle treatment for me!”

Migraines are Migraines January 8, 2016

Relpax (eletriptan): “I've had migraines for many years and have seen several Dr.'s over the years for them. I've been advised to take 4 advil and Xanax and sleep it off. I've been advised to take Imitrex. I've taken Bupap. I used to go to the Dr. for shots to relieve the pain from migraines. My most recent Dr. referred me to a Neurologist. He prescribed Replax. It is a life saver. Of course, he made me get off of caffeine, and they make sure I get plenty of sleep. He also prescribed Phenergan as needed. I'm now on a preventive medicine: amitriptyline. This treatment seems to be working. I've have not missed any work days for over 6 months now. I give Relpax a "10".”

Anonymous June 27, 2008

Relpax (eletriptan): “I am a 15 year migraine patient, and have exhausted migraine preventatives and abortives. When I found Relpax, I was and still am completely thankful. There are zero side affects in my case, and when I'm sick to my stomach, it takes care of that too. This is the miracle drug for migraine patients.”

Melpax · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 2, 2019

Relpax (eletriptan): “I've had migraines for over 20 years now. Nothing works perfectly or on its own for me but Relpax works consistently and seems to truly get rid of the migraine unlike imitrex. Sometimes my stomach gets upset or I get weird flu- aches with both 'triptans' its a walk in the park compared to the lost time to migraine pain. Relpax is very expensive but I actually use one of those apps that give you discounts without insurance and it was CHEAPER than insurance. Also, pill count is not restricted the same way. My Dr just have me a script and I filled 30 pills for less than $200 at a major grocery chain on the east coast! Do some leg work. It shouldn't be this hard but it's possible! Running out of pills is a great fear we all have - you don't have to...”

Anonymous July 9, 2008

Relpax (eletriptan): “I'm 20, and I've had migraines since I was 6 years old. I had tried everything my doctor could think of before I went to a neurologist, and she suggested Relpax. I will never go back to any of the "home remedies" or any other medication as long as Relpax is on the market. I get visual blind spots when a migraine is setting in and I take it as soon as the spots appear, which is usually 10 minutes before the pain starts. Within 30 minutes, I'm back to feeling great.”

Katie418079 January 16, 2016

Relpax (eletriptan): “I was given this as a sample from my family doctor and was almost in tears the first time I took it because for the first time in 8 years, my migraine went away without me having to take a trip to the ER. In combination with Zofran, this was literally a miracle for me, I'm so happy with it. Best rescue drug ever.”

Jode September 6, 2014

Relpax (eletriptan): “I have suffered migraines since l was a baby and have been put on all sorts of medications with no success. My migraines have ruled my life as the pain is horrific and I have had to live each day in fear of the next attack. As nothing worked for me l would end up in hospital having pethadine and morphine injections that only helped sometimes. Just getting to a hospital whilst going through an attack is horrific as the pain and vomiting is like nothing I can describe. A new GP recommended Relpax and it has changed my life, I cannot recommend it more highly. I take the 80mg as the 40mg did not work for me. I can now take Relpax as soon as l feel a migraine coming on and within 40 mins l am pain free. Relpax is life changing.”

Hope at last February 19, 2013

Relpax (eletriptan): “My experience with Relpax mirrors those reported by many other users on this site: its a miracle. I've suffered from migraines since childhood through my adulthood and have been prescribed a number of medicines with no success. Relpax was most effective for me when taken upon onset, however a standard dose will vanquish a migraine within 45 minutes. I can't tell you how this medicine increased my quality of life and how relieved I felt to finally locate something that worked after 20 years of suffering. Again, this medication is expensive even with co-insurance. But for me it was worth having my life back.”

Learn more about Migraine