User Reviews for Eletriptan to treat Migraine

Also known as: Relpax

Eletriptan Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 126 medications used in the treatment of Migraine.

Reviews for Eletriptan

Donkeymigraine · Taken for 10 years or more July 11, 2019

Relpax (eletriptan): "Could not live without Relpax I would be in bed 1/2 the month. I take it 5-8 times a month. Cost a ton but well worth it to live my life."

MenstrualMigraine · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 6, 2019

Relpax (eletriptan): "This worked wonders for my migraines, which I get 1-2 times monthly. Unmedicated, they last 24 hrs, and I would spend about half of that time in bed in agony. With Relpax, the pain goes away within an hour. Sometimes it comes back and I take another Relpax tablet, and it goes away for good (until the next time around). There are no drowsy or nauseous side effects for me, and I no longer miss work or need to reschedule activities. This has SAVED ME!!"

Judi39 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 2, 2019

Relpax (eletriptan): "I took Relpax for migraines I did have to take an additional pain killer such as Tylenol with it. It did control my migraines. Some side effects were heart racing and a very rough sensation in my stomach almost like sand. It took the pain from my migraine away so I didn’t think twice about how my stomach felt. But with in a year I was in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer! All I’m saying is Relpax does work to take the excruciating migraine pain away but beware and consult your doctor about the side effects!"

Duchess · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 31, 2019

Relpax (eletriptan): "I've suffered with migraines for over 25 years and found nothing that could help. Since migraines were something my family had, I thought that it was an inherited issue so never spoke to my doctor about it. It was only when the migraines increased in intensity and frequency that I finally went to the doctor who immediately prescribed relpax. My life now is unbelievably different. I can actually plan to do things more knowing that I have a backup that works quickly. I'm a pensioner and am able to get the drug at the pension rebate."

CR · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 14, 2019

"Eletriptan generic does not work at all, you may as well take nothing. I've taken the Relpax brand name for 20 years and it works if my migraine is caught early - but the generic does not lessen pain at all."

D · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 1, 2019

Relpax (eletriptan): "I have gotten chronic headaches and migraines since I was 5. I’m 30 now, and 2 years ago I discovered relpax after my mother had it prescribed to her for her migraines. She’s been a chronic migraine sufferer for 50 years. Nothing has EVER worked for either of us in our entire lives until we tried relpax. I of course let my dr. know I found something that worked (I didn’t care if it wasn’t prescribed to me at first, if you get migraines, you know how desperate you are to try anything that will help) and my dr now prescribes it to me. This drug has been an absolute life changer for my mother and I. I no longer have to worry about not being able to work, take care of my son, and most of all, SUFFER! Because I know if I have one of these, I’ll be migraine free (or sometimes at least mostly migraine free) within less than 2 hours. I’ve never lived life this way before, every move I made prior was based on “if” I have a migraine or not. I am finally living free."

Abby · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 31, 2019

"Terrible substitution for the real thing. I'm sick of generics that don't work and insurance companies who only think of there pockets!"

Gakmom January 10, 2019

"I have suffered from migraines for 24 years and had a physician prescribe Relpax back in 2014 and it was the only medication to work for me with zero side effects. Fast forward to today. There's a generic prescription on the market now, and my insurance will no longer cover the Brand name one so I tried it. It's the one made by Teva. It had not worked at all. I have taken 2 pills in 4 hrs and not even the slightest relief. I'm also on Fioricet and phenergan. I would rather pay the exorbitant amount of money for the Brand name drug than the $24 for the generic form. Sumatriptan works for me too but I get horrible side effects that are nearly as debilitating as the migraine so I only take it as a last resort. So far the generic Relpax has made me more nauseous, sleepy, and uncontrollably anxious. I would NOT recommend switching from brand to generic form of this drug. Plus, the packaging is very difficult to open which is even MORE irritating even you're in so much pain."

Snowy · Taken for 5 to 10 years November 26, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): "Relpax 40 mg is the most effective migraine medicine I have ever used. The generic eletriptan works fine also. I take one 40-mg tablet at the first onset of migraine, then take one additional tablet if my migraine is not gone in 1 hour. Over the years, I tried Imitrex injection (which made my migraine MUCH worse), ibuprofen (Motrin), and acetaminophen (Tylenol). Relpax beats all of these hands down. Without Relpax, there are many days that I would not be able to get out of bed. I do not have any side effects from this medicine. Thankful for this medicine."

Anonymous November 14, 2018

"packaging is as important as the effect of eletriptan! I was stuck with the Generic brand of Relpax by GREENSTONE/NEVER AGAIN! Obviously they do NOT test there own packaging. WORST packaging on market. The blister card is made of HEAVY card stock impossible tear apart. Then the worst is thin foil backing you need "pick" to start to "peel" off to get to Pill. Out of THREE cards/18 blister packs ONE peeled off. Now try this with a full migraine/use your strength to tear apart. You pick of the foil only to have it glued down tight so it does not peel. You must carry a knife or scissors or an exacto tool to get the pill out. All the while you are blind, vomiting, exhausted and maybe bleeding from your nose! NOT GREENSTONE GENERIC RELPAX!"

Headacher · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2018

"After years of successfully using Relpax, the only med that stopped my migraines, my pharmacist suggested the generic made by Mylan.. It doesn't work as well as the real thing. And I've had hemorrhages in the white of my eye."

Carrie · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 4, 2018

"I took the name-brand Relpax for years and it was extremely effective. I switched to the generic when it became available and had the same result. Unfortunately, my CVS/Target pharmacy switched which generics they were carrying and the replacement generic was AWFUL. Migraines wouldn't go away, extreme nausea and bad depression. Moral of the story -- don't discount all generics since they're made by different companies. Generics have the same active ingredient as the name-brand but the non-active ingredients can be completely different. FWIW (for what it's worth), the generic that worked great for me was distributed by Zydus Pharma and the generic that was ineffective (and downright dangerous in my opinion) was made by Mylan Pharma. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor who the generic supplier is and give different ones a try."

Grammie · Taken for 10 years or more September 29, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): "I've taken Relpax for at least 10 years and it has been a lifesaver for me.. Without it I would not have been able to function in a professional job. My health insurance only allows me to have 6 pills a month, so at times I have to cut the pill in half to try and make a 1/2 dose work. If I take this pill and go back to bed for a couple of hours it will take the migraine away - it does make me fill a little sick and lightheaded after I take it, so I'm careful about that."

Hickorychic · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2018

"The generic brand of Relpax is trash! It does nothing for me. I still suffer as if I took nothing. It doesn't work the same for me"

Mainah · Taken for 10 years or more August 6, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): "I have had migraines for about 50 years. Tried everything. Dr. called and said to try Relpax...WOW miracle drug. What I don't understand is WHY OVER $900 a month WITH INSURANCE? Walgreens pharmacy, Bangor Maine. 40 mg tab 16 tablets a month and I had to get special permission to be allowed the 16 tablets. Relpax is ALL that has ever worked. I worry about the long term side effects on the heart but I guess dying early is better than a migraine. I do get residual effects the entire NEXT day - weak and lethargic, I move slower and take my time - at least I am pain free within 2 hours of taking Relpax and can work, function 80%. It makes me VERY weak..so lifting, running are impossible. I would not trade it for anything. NOTHING else has EVER worked and I refuse the generic, especially after reading reviews..IT IS NOT THE SAME. But why over $900. a month? Its a MAJOR FINANCIAL BURDEN, but I would rather die than suffer a migraine and I guess they know that. Sad USA."

CMH · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 17, 2018

"I have never had such a terrible experience trying to open a package. You need to have scissors at your disposal and then try and peel back the covering -all while having a horrible migraine! I travel and do not have access to scissors-Please urge the manufacturer to change the packaging knowing the patients have severe neurological impairments while experiencing a migraine and cannot open the medicine"

UK User June 8, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): "Replax (Eletriptan) is the best Triptan for Migraine I have used and I have used them all. It gets rid of a migraine with in about 1 - 2 hours especially if I eat after I have taken it. I do seem to get a lot of reoccurence with this drug but that is the same for all triptans and I get a lot of Migraines as a chronic sufferer. Great short term results with Replax but side effects are very strong sleepiness as in I must lie down and sleep off the medication to be able to function but often a short nap will suffice, it does effect my ability to work but not as much as a migraine. I get 12 tablets a month on the NHS for free which is great and use a VNS ( vagal nerve stimulation) device as a preventative which is slowly helping reduce my frequency. Eletriptan is not often used in the UK due to the side effects of sleepiness. My neurologists advises it tends only to be used and tolerated by more severe migraine sufferers. However regardless of those draw backs it is worth trying as it does shift a severe migraine."

laura April 30, 2018

"This med does not work for me nearly as well as RELPAX"

Sherri · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 5, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): "I've been taking Relpax 40mg name brand for about 8 years or so. I take them 3 to 4 times a month. Refilled my prescription in November 2017 and didnt realize they gave me Eletriptan, which is generic for Relpax. I paid $20.00 for 9 pills. When I got a migraine I kept wondering why my migraine didn't go completely away! My Pharmacy didn't even tell me. I've had a lingering migraine for 9 days today. I looked all over for a Relpax, and found one, I took it real fast! Omgeee! Within 1 hour the migraine completely gone! I called my doctor and told him to please write on my prescription DAW- Disperse As Written per my insurance so I can get Relpax name brand. So now I'll be paying $112.00 for 9 pills. Very expensive. But gotta love my RELPAX! No generic brand going on here."

Cherri · Taken for 10 years or more March 22, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): "This drug works! I started taking it about ten years ago. But recently I started having a vivid nightmares with it. It started when I started getting it for $10.00. I think the formula has changed!"

Pat March 13, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): "The medication itself works well, however the packaging is absolutely impossible to open! you have to use scissors to cut through the backing and then try to peel it back. when your vision is impaired and you can't tolerate ANY light and your hands are shaking because you are in so much pain this is a Herculean effort. My husband even struggled to open it for me when I couldn't. I wrote to Teva and got the thank you for your input brush off after a lengthy email exchange providing the packaging info. grrrrr looking for an alternate med now. It does me no good if i can't take it."

Duchess · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): "Amazingly fast results"

PaulsAEGal · Taken for 10 years or more January 22, 2018

Relpax (eletriptan): "I’ve been taking Relpax for about 10 years now and I can honestly say I cannot live without it! Takes away my migraine and all my symptoms within the hour. Tried other medications that didn’t work and made me worse. Generic brands also did not work for me. Would recommend it to anyone. The only side effect I get sometimes is it can make me a little tired but I can handle that over a migraine any day."

Mommy L · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 13, 2018

"Pharmacy started filling my Relpax with the new generic. I was optimistic as the brand name has been a wonder drug for me for years and seriously the only thing that brings me relief. Not only did it NOT work, it made me feel worse. And don't get me started on the ridiculous packaging - why would a company require people to need scissors to cut the medication out?! My doc and I are now having to do battle with my insurance company to start paying for the only thing that will work for me. It shouldn't be this hard."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2017

"My insurance now makes me take the generic, eletriptan with only 6 tablets a month. First time I have to use the generic I was sicker than I have ever been. It was like I was never on medicine. I vomited twice, lost all my equilibrium, couldn't eat. Had to call out of work. Now I have to be a guinea pig again to find something that works for my migraines. I get sinus, cluster and tension migraines. Not looking forward to this."

Learn more about Migraine

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)