User Reviews for Drospirenone to treat Birth Control

Also known as: Slynd

Drospirenone has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 108 ratings for the treatment of Birth Control. 37% of those users who reviewed Drospirenone reported a positive effect, while 43% reported a negative effect.

Drospirenone Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 277 medications used in the treatment of Birth Control.

Reviews for Drospirenone

Lexis · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 13, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I've been taking Slynd for 5 months. My gynaecologist switched my medications after noticing my BP was a little high. She wanted to stop prescribing birth control that contains estrogen. I thought this birth control was awesome for the first couple of months. My periods became very light and I did not bleed while on the placebos and my cramps were almost non existent. Now that it's been a few more months, the biggest issue I have is with sex drive. I feel nothing. I'm never in the mood, even when I really want to if that makes sense. If I'm having sex, I feel no pleasure. It's like it's nothing good is happening down there and I can't get it to work. I can not build up any sensation it's just like a switched turned it off. It's effective at controlling birth in more than one way, cause it takes all pleasure away from sex! My last period I bled for almost two weeks. It was spotting a lot on the beginning of the period before it really started. I also feel tired all the time, it's hard for me to keep my energy up.”

RH2011 · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I started Slynd on the first day of my menstrual period and bled continuously for 16 days! It would lighten up and I would think it was ending but then it would get heavy again with clots. I just could not take it anyone! The bleeding finally stopped 3 days after I stopped taking the pill making it a total of 19 days of bleeding! I have anemia and could not risk taking this pill for 3-6 months to see if my body would ever adjust to this. Maybe it works for some women l, but it’s definitely not for me!”

Rachael May 5, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I was prescribed Slynd due to an underlying heart condition. The first month I took it, 10/10 no complaints whatsoever. It even made my period nearly non existent. Unfortunately, my second month on it has been torture. I have had breakthrough bleeding every single day, nonstop. My skin was just about perfect before I switched to this pill, now it is absolutely horrible. Everyday I wake up with around 5 new breakouts and nothing is seeming to help it. It is turning into cystic acne I think. I cry at the drop of a pin. If someone looks at me the wrong way, or makes a joke that I didn't find funny, instant tears. I have noticed slight weight loss on this pill which I am not too angry about. I am hoping to switch off of this pill and go back to combination pills ASAP. Although, my gyno recommended that I wait to finish at least 3 months worth, which I am dreading. If you don't mind acne, constant spotting, and unexpected crying - this is the pill for you!”

Christa · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 13, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “I know there’s lots of ups and downs with Slynd reviews, mainly complaining of bleeding. I have finished my first pack and I have to say, I haven’t experienced anything truly bad at all. I wanted to try an estrogen free option and a different kind of progestin. Drosperinone is actually anti-androgenic and not derived from testosterone, so it has been counter acting my symptoms of my PCOS so far. My period is gone for now and my PMDD symptoms have cleared up noticeably, even after the first week. I have noticed headaches but that may just be my blood sugar as once I grab something to eat, I feel much better. Haven’t noticed any hair loss, weight gain, or pain. If anything, the number on the scale has suddenly started to go down after a year of no movement. My mood is absolutely more even and stable and my intrusive thoughts due to PMDD are so much more manageable. Will update after a couple of months!”

SB March 13, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I have tried almost every pill out there and have had side effects that I didn’t want to live with. My last hope was Slynd. While I had a lot of breakthrough bleeding in the beginning because I was switching from a combination pill, everything worked itself out by the third month. It’s important to give your body time to adjust! My mood is so much better on Slynd with a lot less anxiety and depression. I feel more energized and lost 8 pounds! I have some cramps but other than that I can’t complain. I also noticed less PMS symptoms. It’s a good option for those that don’t do well on the combined pill. I love that it is more forgiving than other POPs and I can be a little late and not have to panic. Also, my insurance didn’t cover it so I am using a coupon and am able to get three packs for $70.”

Jill · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 21, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I've been on Slynd for over a month and I already hate it. I'm 35 and have endometriosis with horrible cramps that put me in the hospital. I was in pain a lot so I wanted relief and a better quality of life. While this pill already relieved me of the terrible endo pain and 7 day periods, my moods are so bad! I cry ..A LOT.. and for no reason. I'm having more anxiety and I feel depressed. Also, I have a headache every day and am SO thirsty my eyes are dry. Sleep has been rough... I can't get a full night's sleep anymore. I get easily annoyed and angry, like I blurt out what I'm thinking because I'm so annoyed. Also, I didn't get my period the first month but I've been spotting every day since I started taking it.. Honestly, Idk what's worse the endo pain before Slynd or my mood on Slynd. I have a free 3 month supply but idk if I can take it anymore. I think it's doing me more bad than good.”

SanD May 16, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “I’m on month 4 of Slynd and was prescribed this due to extremely heavy/painful periods and anemia. I’m in my late 40s and have had these issues since I was a teenager. Over the years I have tried nearly every birth control pill available and stopped each due to varying side effects (migraines, mood swings, bloating/weight gain - you name it). I was hesitant to try yet another Bc pill and was actually going into my doctor to talk about getting a hysterectomy just to be able to get my quality-of-life back. I agreed to give this a try first since it doesn’t have any estrogen. First 2 months I had significant breakthrough bleeding (I think I bled for three weeks straight). That said, I am so glad that I stuck it out… Starting the third month all of the spotting and pleading went away and I have had virtually no side effects since then. Add to that, my period has pretty much disappeared over the past couple of months which is amazing. So glad I gave this a try. Life changing.”

Momof4 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 11, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I decided to get on birth control pills because my periods were so heavy I became very anemic. I can’t do IUDs as my body rejects them so I did some research and found Slynd. I’m so thankful I did! This pill has been amazing! I don’t have any major side effects what so ever and I haven’t had a period since the first month where I did have some breakthrough bleeding but wasn’t heavy but nothing since then. I take my inactive pills have had minor cramping and that’s it no period. This has made my life so much better, finally getting my iron back up feeling great! So happy I found something that works good for me.”

BW November 5, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “I'm currently on my third month of taking Slynd and I would NEVER recommend this drug to anyone. I have been on birth control for 15 years and I have tried at least 10 different ones in that amount of time. I have never experienced symptoms as bad as I have on this. I was put on it because my BP at the gyno was slightly high that day (not normally high) so she wouldn't give me a refill of Sprintec. The first month I didn't get a period at all, which was concerning for me since I prefer to have a period so I know I'm not pregnant. The second period was a few days late, however, I have now been heavily bleeding for 16 days and it doesn't appear as though it's going to stop anytime soon. I cramp all the time and my legs have started to cramp too (assuming that's from blood loss). I'm on the 2nd week of the third pack and I'm still bleeding from last month's period. The only reason this pill is effective at preventing pregnancy is because you can't have sex ever while you're taking it!”

Tay · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 13, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I just started month 3 of this pill, and I absolutely love it. I was taking norethindrone before and I was getting mild acne (never had acne before in my life), heavy irregular periods and slight weight gain. On Slynd, my face is back to normal with only the extremely rare single pimple, and my period is almost non-existent. It always comes on day 3 of the green placebo, lasts 3 days and is little more than spotting with mild cramps and tiredness. I haven't gotten pregnant yet, so it seems to be working on that front as well. I started to take birth control as an effort to control my migraines. They're not gone, but I have noticed any hormonal related ones I get after my period are much less severe. I haven't noticed any weight gain or loss with these, and my sex drive seems to be about the same as it was before as well. Obviously everyone's miles will vary but this pill has been absolute magic for me so far. I hope it continues as is.”

Ty · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 29, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I have now finished my first month on Slynd After not being on birth control for a long time (alway had severe side effects), I took my doctors recommendation for Slynd because my cramps were very painful, I had heavy clotting, and I found out I have an “extremely thick uterine wall”? So far I’m not happy with how I’ve been feeling since taking this pill. I am going to try it for one more month since I have the pills already. I have started breaking out, which is unusual for me. I’ve already experienced some weight gain, and my mood swings are worse than normal. I’m lethargic and I have no sex drive anymore. I constantly feel bloated and dehydrated. I also have not had a period, but have had cramps during the time of when my cycle regularly is”

Syd · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 28, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I have been on Slynd for a few months now, probably around 7 months. My previous birth control pill gave me crazy mood swings and made my depression and anxiety worse as well as making me extremely irritable. The first three months on Slynd was way better than my previous pill, however I would experience spotting days or over a week before even taking the placebo pills. About 5 months in I experienced breakthrough bleeding for 3 weeks. After that, it all went downhill. I find that at the end of the second week of my pack, my depression and anxiety hit an all-time high. Intense mood swings of high anxiety and vicious sadness hit and last until I take my placebos. Every pill affects everyone differently, but if you have a history of depression, anxiety, etc. you may want to use a different pill; would not recommend this pill.”

Christine · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 1, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “I am getting off of this Slynd pill. I cannot take any pills with estrogen, and most progesterone-only pills are too weak for me, so my doctor and I thought this one would be a good fit. I had light bleeding for the first three weeks, but it wasn't too bad. A few weeks in to taking it I started to have a lot of emotional/mental health issues. I'd cry at the drop of a hat, get angry very easily, and then it turned in to significant anxiety and depression. I also wanted to eat constantly. I do struggle with anxiety normally, but usually not to this extent. I am not myself on this pill. I've had difficulty getting out of bed, thinking rational thoughts, etc. I am sure it can work well for others, but maybe not for people who already struggle with anxiety.”

Bri · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “Worst birth control I’ve ever tried. I’m almost done with my 3rd month and I’ve bled almost every since day since I started my first pack. I’ve never ever had problems with weight gain in the past (I have two kids always remained at 120 after having them). I got on Slynd 9 months after having my daughter, I was already back to my pre-pregnancy weight then. NOW, I’ve gained 15lbs. I’ve never been this heavy. None of my clothes fit. I’ve always been active and have worked out since I was 16, I’m now 26. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and run a mile a day and I CAN'T LOSE THE WEIGHT. I don’t eat meat, I’m pretty healthy. I’ve literally never had this issue before and I am sooo upset. My mental health has been rough since starting this birth control too. I’ve been having such bad depression”

DA November 29, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “I'm on my 4th month of Slynd. I switched from a pill containing estrogen because I'm 41 and get migraines (infrequently). Because I have endometriosis, I do not take the placebos. The first week I had minimal spotting and cramping (and was expecting far worse). Since then, zero cramping or spotting or endo pain! My acne has neither improved nor gotten considerably worse. But I went through a time in the second month where my skin was more oily than it had ever been. Also during my second and third month, I was dealing with really bad anxiety. Hard to say whether the transition to Slynd had something to do with it or whether it was situational. I was able to lose about 6 pounds by eating more mindfully and have not had a migraine since starting it. Overall, I am extremely happy with how I have adjusted to it.”

jessica · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 6, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I’ve been on this for a little over a year and my period has pretty much disappeared. It only comes once every 6 months (as of right now) and it only lasts 3 days. My period is super light and my only effects with my period is tiredness and a little bit of cramping but it’s so little it’s hardly even noticeable. My periods used to be miserable and so I'm glad I chose this. I don’t have any side effects at all aside from my nearly gone period. I love it”

Mel · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 12, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “I have Stage 4 endometriosis and the last pill prescribed to me - Jencycla, made my endo flares worse - I was in pain 25 days in a month! As soon as my Doctor switched me to Slynd, I felt better right away. I was able to lose weight and I didn't have recurring cramps. The only downside was the on and off spotting during my first two packs and not having my period for the first month of using Slynd. I had my period starting the third pack, but I didn't have severe cramps that would last me 3 days and my period wasn't heavy. I will continue to use Slynd and I'm glad that this is helping me ease my endo pain - I know this is just a band aid, but being pain-free for 3 months is like getting 3 years of my life back!”

Squirrel · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “Slynd is the **ONLY** non-estrogen pill available in the US that works for me! In many other countries you can get Desogestrel, which for me is very similar. No break through bleeding and of course no weird estrogen side effects with either. I've tried a bunch of different B/C for my PMDD and this is by far the best one, though I still have symptoms, unfortunately. I was extremely bingy and gained so much weight with estrogen containing pills. I lost the extra weight and this pill works well now.”

Eulalia December 3, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “I have been on Slynd for four months. I am taking for PCOS after taking the mini pill (Norethindrone) with terrible side effects and the shot. I am so grateful for Slynd. The first few months I dealt with light, sometimes medium breakthrough bleeding. Nothing severe or intolerable, which stopped in my fourth pack. Slight cramping as well the first two months which have subsided as well. No other side effects, so far at least so I’m glad for that. I have regulated and it has lessened the severity of my cycle as far as heaviness and pain. I am thankful I stuck with this and didn’t let the breakthrough bleeding and cramps stir me away, Slynd has been a god send considering how severe other BC side effects have treated me. I recommend anyone suffering from PCOS to at least give this a real shot, I was so hesitant to begin another BC because of my past experiences, but I am definitely sticking with this one.”

Lily · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 15, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I’ve always had issues with birth control prior to Slynd. I’ve been on 2 different combination pills as well as the Kyleena IUD. I’ve had all sorts of side effects: recurrent yeast infections, dryness and acne. I changed my gynecologist and told her my past issues, and she recommended Slynd. My skin has improved significantly and I hardly ever had a pimple since I’ve been on Slynd. I basically don’t have any side effects. The only thing is, my period had pretty much disappeared after the first 3 months.”

Mesa November 15, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “6 months on Slynd and so happy. I was switched from a low estrogen to this because I’m 46 and my blood pressure was up this year. I had very mild periods on my old birth control so was dreading a switch. I am so happy that I have had no period now (no chance of being pregnant either.) I did have cramps a couple times but no spotting. No emotional changes, no weight changes, nothing. Very happy with this pill.”

Sweed · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “Okay ladies! Listen up! If you are a young girl and do not have headaches or blood clotting disorders, DO NOT TAKE THIS PILL!!!!!!!!! Even if you do have headaches, just get the combination pill and take an Advil. This pill consumed my life for six months. I had my period EVERY WEEK! My hormones were all out of whack since I was only getting progestin, so this caused me to become extremely depressed. When I told my primary care doctor about what my gynecologist prescribed me, she was baffled because this pill was made for women 35 or older! She put me on a combination pill and it’s currently working it’s magic to keep me protected (which the other pill was not as protective as this one for a girl my age) and it’s in the process of regulating my periods, which I still get irregularly for the time being.”

Zoe October 1, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “I am finishing my second pack and I am so so pleased with the birth control. I was switched for being at risk for stroke with my other birth control because of my migraines. I was super nervous to take a POP because I forget to take pills all the time but I have an alarm and I think being so scared has made me more responsible. I haven’t had a period but still get period like symptoms around the time I should have it. I used to get really nauseous from birth control and I don’t feel that way at all with this.”

notforme · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 17, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “I have been on BC pills in the past, I have always felt super nauseous and literally felt pregnant. I just had a baby 4 months ago and my OB put me on SLYND right at my 6 week post partum checkup. I have PCOS and suspected endo as well. He said this shouldn't make me feel ill. The first month was good, except I had break through bleeding. I am now ending month 3 and going on BC permanently. My sex drive, which has always been extremely high, and never affected on other pills is literally at a 0! I am constantly bleeding, periods are SUPER horrible. I am nauseous every single morning that I wake up and headaches all day. I also feel super moody, tired, and my "always low" blood pressure seems to be on the rise. This just was not for me.”

NLG · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 15, 2021

Slynd (drospirenone): “I have suffered from long extremely heavy periods since I was 11 years old. At 38 with my tubes tied and 3 kids, I was at my wits end. Being anemic due to my period had taken its toll. I went to my dr asking for a hysterectomy. He recommended Slynd. I argued, since I have taken other birth controls in the past with no help to my bleeding. But he said he wouldn't recommend a hysterectomy without exhausting all efforts. Now a year later I am soooo glad I found Slynd. I only spot on my 2nd day of placebo and have little to no cramping. Also my hormonal acne has all but gone away as well. I do have some negative side effects like bloating and weight gain (10lbs in a year) but for the first time in my life I had labs done and I am no longer anemic.”

Daisy · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “First week of pills of Slynd and already heavy bleeding. Please tell me it will get better. I've read others experiences and I have a hard time accepting 10 days of bleeding. How do you all have sexual relationships will blood flow all the time. I'm not a prude but ruining sheets and towels is not my fetish”

Alyssa · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “My gyn gave me 4 packs of this pill for free. Goal was to prevent pregnancy but also to get some relief from heavy monthly bleeding/cramps. I’m on pack 4 and still have breakthrough bleeding, it just happens unexpectedly and can last a week or more. Cramps have improved and haven’t gotten pregnant, but I’ve had major cystic acne and dry eyes so they’re bloodshot all the time. No weight gain which is a plus. I feel like a guinea pig since this pill was literally just approved by FDA and there are no patient reviews to be found. Not sure if I will continue taking, I can only imagine what the monthly price will be on a brand new pill on the market with no generic available.”

Morgan August 2, 2020

Slynd (drospirenone): “I have been taking Slynd birth control pills for 4 months total, just starting my 5th. I used to have a regular 3 day period with severe cramps. I have had nonstop spotting since beginning this birth control. My cramps are gone, but I have been spotting for almost 30 days straight. It has been a nightmare from the start.”