User Reviews for ZzzQuil to treat Insomnia

ZzzQuil has an average rating of 3.2 out of 10 from a total of 39 ratings for the treatment of Insomnia. 21% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 69% reported a negative effect.

ZzzQuil Rating Summary

3.2/10 average rating

Compare all 81 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for ZzzQuil

Anonymous July 23, 2021

“Tried this since melatonin stopped working. Took 2 capsules thinking it was going to knock my ass out. Only to be sitting here 3 hours later writing this review. I did not feel one ounce of sleepiness should have just gotten a benadryl”

DDeasternmi · Taken for less than 1 month July 18, 2021

“If you have actual REAL insomnia ZzzQuil won't do a thing for you; I breathe great when I take it but no sleep. Your best bet would be to contact your doctor for some prescription sleep aids; maybe a sleep study if you got the insurance. Otherwise your going to continue to waste $ on useless OTC drugs when you could have saved that $ for the doctor or a sleep study”

Baldgeek · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2021

“It is at best a placebo. It had absolutely no effect for me”

JoAnna · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

“Have had insomnia for over a week now. My melatonin and valerian root stopped working (even though I gave myself a week holiday). Tried the ZZZquil last night and laid there for 3.5 hours before dozing off, then awake and tossing and turning every few minutes until morning. Did not work for me at all. Just made insomnia worse by making me feel nuts all night.”

Silas Longshot · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2020

“This stuff is one of those products where 'works great' or is total junk, depending on how the ingredients work with the individual taking the stuff. For me, it might as well been a shot of espresso coffee, one or two gummies either way, I'm awake for 90% of the night”

Shy · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2020

“I have been having a lot of issues with falling asleep lately, my sleepy time tea stopped working so I was looking for a non habit forming sleeping aid. So I tried Zzzquill. DOES NOT WORK!.. was really disappointed ...Actually it woke me up even more or I laid super restless for hours after taking”

Feli_Inayah August 25, 2019

“I used to work overnight so now I suffer from being in an opposite schedule. Up at night and sleeping during the day. I decided to take zzzquil and it kept me up all night. The first time I took it I didn’t sleep sound and had crazy dreams. The second time I suffered from a little restless leg syndrome but I thought maybe it’s ok since I have arthritis as well. Tried it one more time and it was awful. I tossed and turned all night. My legs were so restless every time I started to fall asleep my legs woke me up because I was so uncomfortable. I’m totally throwing it away. I even couldn’t sleep the next day. And I was exhausted. It was horrible.”

Lucky October 3, 2018

“Diphenhydramine is a fantastic sleep aid, but you need to follow the dosage very, very, carefully. I've struggled with insomnia since basically puberty, and few years back I began taking zzzquil daily. I slowly grew a tolerant to it, and increased my dosage eventually to 100mg. One night I was so fed up with tossing and turning, I took another 100mg (I was 19, ok?). An hour later I was watching the walls ripple like the surface of a pond, little black dots crawling up the walls here and there, and full blown auditory hallucinations. (I.e. I heard orchestra music coming from the bathroom vent fan amidst its hum). I felt like my body was made of lead, and was horribly lethargic. Still after tossing and turning for hours, I eventually made it to sleep, and felt as if I was awake the entire time. My room mate said I talked in my sleep the entire duration of my slumber, and my dreams were very vivid and unsettling. I felt like a trainwreck the next day until I could finally go home and sleep.”

jasmine January 31, 2021

“I suffer from depression & anxiety so I also have insomnia. I know you don't wanna read too much lol so I'm gonna cut it short. I've had this around the house for a while and finally I decided to try it 15-20mins ago & I literally can already feel it. Honestly it has me feeling amazing just like other reviews. if you're deciding on trying it , DO IT .”

LilLibra · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2020

“I was trying to get my sleep schedule back on track since quarantine, so I turned to Zzzquil as opposed to my usual melatonin 10mg dose. I can say I was wildly disappointed with the results. It made me drowsy, and I could fall asleep, but then I’d either wake up frequently, or stayed wide awake all night until morning. I gave it a weeks worth of a chance before I threw about half the rest in the trash.”

M · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2020

“ZzzQuil seem to work well the first time I tried it. Felt a bit stiff when I woke up, not sure I even moved. Slept long and hard (that's what she said.) Seriously though, seems legit. Have not tried is second time yet. I took two. Was surprised.”

Brandi · Taken for less than 1 month September 1, 2020

“For years, I’ve suffered from insomnia. I could fall asleep, but I would often wake hours earlier than I was supposed to and would wind up exhausted all day. Lately, I’ve had trouble falling asleep in addition to staying asleep. I’ve tried melatonin and sleepy tea with no success, but I was desperate and gave zzzquil a try. I typically get very sleepy 30-60 minutes after taking it and can sleep for 8 hours without feeling “hungover” in the morning. My body is actually a little stiff when I get up because I haven’t even moved all night.”

LAG768 May 27, 2017

“I usually work a 10 hr shift in the afternoon but my boss has changed my Saturday shift to 5am-1pm. We live on a farm and have 3 outside dogs that like to bark at night. The first morning shift I only got 2 hrs sleep because of our dogs. I purchased Zzquill to get some help falling asleep the night before my morning shifts. I took the recommended dose (2pills) at 8pm. I went to bed at 8:30. I didn't feel any effect from the medication until almost 10:30!! And then I woke up again at 12:30am! I do not recommend Zzquill if you want to fall asleep quickly and stay asleep.”

peter · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2019

“I was using the liquid form and it was fine, working for me, but yesterday I took 2 of these pills, I slept for 5 hours, and now I have terrible headache. I took 2 pain killers, but doesn't help at all. I can't sit or work or concentrate. Terrible pill, will not take it again.”

lashoani · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 5, 2017

“I have used ZzzQuil off and on for a year or so to help me fall asleep. I have noticed that on the nights that I take it (1/2 dose) the next day I experience head shaking tremors that I have to consciously control, especially when I drive. I will no longer take this medication as I am concerned about the side-effect.”

JJFlash · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 20, 2020

“I consider ZzzQuil a low level sleep aid and that is all I need & it works great for me. I have NO problem falling asleep. I often wake up & can't go back to sleep for 90 minutes. But if I take a 1/2 dose of ZZZquil, I can fall right back to sleep. It does not leave me hungover. My wife & I both take it VERY OFTEN. Probably too often. I'm slightly worried that I am addicted to the non-addictive zzzquil LOL.”

Ruthie · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

“I only took ZzzQuil for two nights. Both nights I slept just a few hours and woke up with a bad headache two mornings in a row that Advil didn't help and it usually always does. I also noticed yesterday when watching a football game that my vision was acting weird, blurring like. I DO NOT recommend this to anyone. I have tried many over the counter meds and nothing really works - does nothing at all for me but this stuff made me miserable.”

Annonymous June 12, 2020

“I have insomnia for the past several months and a friend told me to try ZzzQuil. I took it at 10:00 p.m. and went to bed 30 minutes later, but still can't sleep the entire night. I was so disappointed that it did not work at all. What a waste of money.”

em · Taken for less than 1 month September 23, 2020

“I hate zzzquill. I took multiple doses one night when I had to wake up really early in the morning and if anything it woke me up. I ended up getting such little sleep and I regret ever even giving this company my money”

Sleepy · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2020

“I personally wouldn’t recommend this to my worst enemy. I woke up roughly three hours after putting my head on the pillow with the absolute worst headache and stomachache I’ve ever experienced in my entire life. I’m not trying to bash this product, only sharing my personal experience. It might work for others, just not me me.”

AJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 22, 2020

“1st time using ZzzQuil it worked and I was surprised it knocked me out and I slept for 8 hours and even overslept because of quarantine. Lately my sleeping schedule is trash so I sleep around 5 am and wake up at 11 am and fully walk at 1:00pm and nap around 3-5 pm. I tried it a second time with my horrible sleeping schedule hoping to restart a better sleeping schedule and it knocked me out for 2 hours and I heard popping sounds in my head when I awoke. I think I am the problem but I'm sad that it wasn't effective the second time around as I woke up refreshed at 12:00am mind you I knocked out at 10:00pm-12:00am and now it's 3:30 am and I'm kinda tired but feel energized.”

blondieeee · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 9, 2017

“I decided to try Zzzquil for my insomnia. I was hoping it would lull me to sleep. Didn’t work for me. All it did was make me feel very relaxed. It was a similar feeling as if you took a mild dose of a benzo. Helped me stay asleep but not fall asleep.”

Mamabear75 · Taken for less than 1 month September 6, 2020

“After hearing great things about Zzzquil from my mom, I thought I’d give it a try. I don’t have a problem falling asleep, my problem is that I wake frequently through the night. I stuck with it for 7-10 days before throwing the rest away. Total waste of money as it didn’t even remotely help me to stay asleep.”

sen · Taken for less than 1 month December 30, 2019

“It kept me awake for whole night,”

Glamma · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 7, 2020

“I have used Zzzquil every night for the past 6 months or so. I love it. I get drowsy around an hour after consuming and sleep soundly for 8-10 hours.”

CC · Taken for less than 1 month December 16, 2019

“Increased my insomnia. Couldn’t sleep at all. Felt like a stimulant. Threw the pills away.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 9, 2021

“Absolutely love this. I have a hard time going to sleep and will sometimes lay in bed for two or more hours. This starts working in 30 minutes and I feel well rested.”

d.coy · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2020

“diphenhydramine triggers restless leg syndrome”

Learn more about Insomnia