User Reviews for Benadryl to treat Urticaria

Abby55 · Taken for less than 1 month June 29, 2020

“I was admitted to the hospital with a bad case of hives . I was put on an IV. They injected Benadryl into my IV to help with the hives . Within seconds I couldn't breathe . The nurses had just injected in and we're leaving to do some other errands . I couldn't breathe and I couldn't speak and I knew I was gonna die . I managed to pull myself up in the bed sitting up and started pounding on the side of the bed rails to get attention . That's one of the nurses turned around and saw that I could not breathe. Within seconds I have doctors and nurses around my bed . I now have to list Benadryl as an allergy. I probably should carry a magic bracelet to just in case . That was a horrifying day.”

Chronic Idopathic Angeodiema · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 1, 2016

“I was diagnosed with Chronic Idopathic Angioedema in 2005. I was 8 months pregnant and woke up one morning and my face was unrecognizable. I called my Dr and they said "oh it's probably just pregnancy swelling". I am an only child so I didn't know about facial swells. My husband came home and said this is NO pregnancy swelling. This was in 2003. It continued weekly so we took pictures and took to my obgyn. He had been practicing medicine for over 30 years and never seen anything like it, I saw numerous Dr.s and was finally diagnosed. I was in the hospital and swelled up I was given over Benadryl. It took my breath away and couldn't speak. Another nurse came in and yelled at the nurse. It has 2 b given slow or its very dangerous”

Nurse-student July 11, 2016

“I would get so worked up with hives before an exam with my gynecologist, that I would have to cancel. One day I took a Benadryl (they usually come in 25 mg or 50 mg tablets, or in packs of two 25 mg tablets)- just 25 mg before my appointment, and it really took the edge off. I had no hives and was much more relaxed. I buy the generic brand at the Dollar Store. This is used in our house for insomnia, allergic reactions, stuffy noses, and what I had previously mentioned. It is not habit-forming, and at such low doses, it's easy to control. Just make sure you stay hydrated! One word of caution to parents with young kids or teens- there have been many cases of suicide attempts and to trip out on.”