User Reviews for Benadryl to treat Allergic Reactions

Benadryl has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 16 ratings for the treatment of Allergic Reactions. 63% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Benadryl Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Allergic Reactions.

Reviews for Benadryl

Just me · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2020

“This is an old thread but thought I would share. I was in the hospital in labor. I developed a reaction to the epidural that caused severe itchiness. They gave me something that didn't help and after several hours of itching, a nurse gave me iv benedryl. I immediately couldn't breathe and felt like someone kicked me in the chest. I was warm all over, nauseous and on the edge of passing out. An ekg also showed I had a heart arrhythmia from it. I've taken oral benadryl in the past with no problems. Now it's on my list of allergies and I tell every doc I see. Most terrifying experience.”

Amensus · Taken for 10 years or more April 28, 2016

“I take one before bed which keeps me breathing easily during the night despite my allergies. It also helps me get to sleep and stay asleep. The active ingredient, dyphenhydramine HCL, you will find is the main ingredient in quite a few over the counter sleep medications so that should tell us something. And Benadryl or a generic drugstore brand are cheaper and just as effective. Have been taking this for over 20 years and have no side effects”

Nic · Taken for less than 1 month October 19, 2020

“Received Benadryl via IV in prep for a biologic infusion. My throat starting swelling and my blood pressure skyrocketed. An immunologist tested me, and I showed strongly allergic to Benadryl, so it can happen.”

Anonymous October 23, 2010

“I like this medicine, but unfortunately developed an allergy to it, yes contrary to ANYONE'S belief I AM allergic to Benadryl. My legs started to get really, really hot and felt like I just had to stretch them and run them under freezing cold water, then I woke up with hives all over.”

use caution when taking October 28, 2014

“I was given Benadryl at the hospital for an allergic reaction. It instantly shot my heart rate up to 217 bpm and instantly my mouth got dry I couldn't swallow my chest felt hot like an elephant was sitting on it and I got really cold. It put me into shock my body wouldn't stop shaking, I could breath. It was so scary I thought I was dead thanks to the doctors quick response he saved me but it almost killed me. ”

Son, age 16 · Taken for less than 1 month October 15, 2016

“My adult size teenage son was given Benadryl IV, 50mg, *along with Compazine IV as a "headache cocktail" in an emergency room in September of 2016. While there is no way to know for certain if Compazine or Benadryl caused the severe reaction he experienced, he has tolerated oral Benadryl just fine in the past. However, it seems important to share our experience based on the severity of his reaction that day and that multiple reports of similar exist. I do not recommend the "headache cocktail" of Benadryl and Compazine together and hope the number of similar reports are looked into.”

Anonymous October 20, 2009

“A little known and rare side effect of this drug is a condition that would probably be called idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP). This describes a serious depletion of platelets in the blood. The blood will not clot properly and an injury can be life threatening due to uncontrolled bleeding. It's rare but if it happens and the cause is not figured out by your physician(s) this is a big problem.”

marlene1020 · Taken for 10 years or more June 14, 2018

“I've used this and given it to my children for over 20 years. My teenage son would take 1 before going to bed so he could sleep without allergic reactions. I've used it for unknown allergies like bee stings and sunless tanner. Works great and so does the topical cream. No adverse affects with us.”

Connert2 April 26, 2017

“I have no rest every time I take benadryl. I feel I have a really bad reaction as I feel restless, my body feels like itchy, nauseous and it makes me feel angry feeling restless it really hurts my stomach am I allergic to it? or it a bad reaction”

Jen234 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 12, 2012

“I use this medicine for weather allergies and allergies to medications when I need it. It does help greatly but does not last long and my burning sensation comes back into my body and the hives start to show. However a lot of people say that this medicine makes them feel sedated. I have the complete opposite I take 1 before bed and I will not sleep.”

AllergySufferer March 14, 2012

“Works well and is one of my to go-to antihistamines. However it is very sedating and is also not long-lasting. It would work great for someone with insomnia as a milder sleep-aid, but for my use I would say that it works, but makes you sedated.”

Madam2 January 25, 2016

“Allergy reaction to nuts. Started feeling swelling around mouth, throat.... very scary, feel like I am stopping to breath. This instant relieve. Give it 10-15 minutes till kicks in. WORKS WONDERS. BUT.... you might need a good snooze after a good dose...”

The Big A September 4, 2020

“Benadryl is the Gold Standard for allergies, anxiolysis, and sleeping aid. It works like a charm! It is not particularly fast acting, though. I usually take a half a tablet(12.5 mg) at a time and it can take up to an hour to really kick in.”

Talv July 3, 2021

“I took over the counter Benadryl for some minor reason and hours later I started itching all over my body. The itch was deeply intense from my scalp to my feet - a full body reaction. I started getting visible large hives and my throat and face was swelling. I went to the ER and they said it was impossible that I was allergic to Benadryl. The ER doctor was certain I was having a reaction to the pink dye in the pill. He injected me with clear liquid Benadryl to prove this to me. I immediately had a second reaction. They had to treat me with alternative medications; an injection in my bottom, prednisone to help with breathing and another green pill of some sort to take home with me. I am allergic to Benadryl.”

Bitsybaby42 · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2021

“I had been to the doctor for hives for insect bite and they told me to use Benadryl cream and medicine, but it didn't help. I used calamine lotion, and everything else I could think of even cortisone 10 extra strength it didn't help. I went to the doctor for the 2nd time they told me to use the same thing, no help at all. I was itching so bad the hives were spreading even the itching and burning sensations to my arm, ankles, burning feeling in my fingers and hives spreading to my chest. I couldn't help but scratch them sometimes that probably caused to help spread, but I couldn't help it. I went to see another doctor for the 3rd time and he prescribed Prednisone and Hydroxyzine and this is my 2nd day taking them and I see a great difference. My arms and everything clearing up and I finally could rest.. I recommend Prednisone. I give it a 10.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more February 6, 2018

“If you have problems with Benadryl, try the dye free one. I'm wildly allergic to FD&C Red #40 and must use dye free. Dye free works well for me.”

Allergic Headaches/can't sleep · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 20, 2016

“Best drug for me to wake up with good sleep and not have a headache. I have used it for 8 years for allergies (itchy eyes, bug reactions) and my house always has it in stock. Love the drug!”

Anonymous April 16, 2010

“Made me fall asleep. Makes me way too tired.”

benny d. reAl · Taken for 10 years or more May 22, 2012

“Relieves most allergy symptoms.”