User Reviews for Dicyclomine

Also known as: Bemote, Bentyl, Bentyl Syrup, Byclomine, Di-Spaz, Dibent, Dicyclocot, Dilomine

Learn more about Dicyclomine.

Dicyclomine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Dicyclomine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"I have Crohn's Disease and had been taking balsalazide. However, I was still getting terrible cramps and bloating. I hated eating because it led to me looking like I was 6 months pregnant and being in crippling pain. My GI prescribed me dicyclomine in addition to my other treatments, and it has worked wonders! I can eat and not even think about it afterwards!!! No bloating, no pain! This must be what it feels like to be normal."

Amberbamber13 March 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This medication has been huge for me, I don't run to the restroom as often, my pain is way better, the only side effects I have are dry mouth, loss of appetite and blurry vision,"

Happymrs2016 February 27, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Been on meds 48 hours and still have pain. It controls spasms a little but my heartburn is out of control. Librax took care of all my symptoms but doc switched me to benzyl BC librax is addictive. I can't believe I'm back to severe pain. What meds works like librax? Exhausted from severe pain."

Dddddddddd February 12, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a has severe head trauma at 20 years old put on bentyl at 24 after having a cyclic vomiting episode and abdominal migraines. Since I have head trauma it effect my stomach I feel like I'm being ripped in half. I told ER doctor this they gave me this IV. It stopped most of the pain and nausea immediately. Also I never knew it wasn't uncomfortable for everyone to have bowel movement and that cramps were abnormal thought it was just "gas" . On 20 mg 2-4 a day as needed but I wait as long as I can to take them it seems to last more than a day with me. With these if I am on the toilet with cramps I take the pill and the cramps they go away after that. I take them more as needed but that is because I know what will trigger mine which is some food, stress, commitments ,money"

bentyluser February 12, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Two months of cramping pain that kept me from doing much work. It came in waves and then passed only to return either a few minutes or a few hours . The pain progressed until I just didn't want to keep struggling so I went to the ER fearing cancer might be the cause. A head nurse suggested Bentyl might help me when the doctors failed to offer me any help. I indicated I would be most willing to try the drug so she approached another doctor who wrote me the prescription. WOW. For me is was a major and completely effective remedy and so far I haven't had to suffer any side effects except some drowsiness after I eat. IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU BUT WORTH THE EFFORT TO TRY IT IF YOU'RE IN PAIN. IT WORKS FOR ME."

akejama January 30, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This worked like magic on my horrible, knife-like abdominal cramps and bloating. Within 30 minutes, my tummy felt great! But... Bentyl leaves me unable to work and barely functional. When I would take it, it would make me so confused I couldn't remember where I was, why I was there, or what I had just been doing. I would stop talking to someone mid-sentence and not remember what we were talking about or how I got there. I often couldn't answer simple questions. I also became very dizzy. I would only take it again if the IBS symptoms occurred at home and at bedtime. Such a shame. Nothing took away my pain like Bentyl did."

LCinnamon (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This medication works wonders for me. Tend to get stomach cramps regularly, I miss work sometimes because I am constantly running to the bathroom. If I am travelling I have stop and use public restrooms. I never know when it's going to hit me. I am weak and faint sometimes from these flares. The only draw back is that it makes me feel tired and I get blurry vision. It has really helped me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have mild IBS. Stomach cramps in the morning. Shift between mild constipation and "all at once" where I have to use the bathroom 3 times in one hour. This medicine has greatly reduced the all or nothing pattern."

Jcm71 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In 2012 after getting some shocking news my body went weird. I was treated for a year on a powder that made your bowels flow. I still suffered from stomach pains. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy. Finding were some polyps and acid reflex and some kind of cyst that was pushing down on my stomach. My Gi and Surgeon said after surgery I should return to normal. That did not happen. My Gi doctor told me I did not have IBS and would not treat me for that. My new primary doctor looked over my records and listened to me. She said it does sound like IBS. First plan was to change my eating habits. That did not help much at all. On 12/23/2016 she issued me Dicyclomine 20 mg 4 times a day. I don't have stomach pain and bowel almost normal."

Maryjomama December 27, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I just started taking this medicine today because every other medicine I've been on hasn't worked and I've been so sick with stomach pains and running to the bathroom. My doctor said to take 1 or 2. I took 2 at lunch does that mean I should take 2 at dinner as well? I can't take the stomach pains anymore. Do you guys think this will help? Thanks"

Knd1245 November 22, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I've been on Bentyl for 3 1/2 years and my IBS is so much better when I take my pill. Initially I had severe dry mouth that lasted for about 3 months, but I no longer have that side effect. I take a pill one hour before I eat, and I can pretty much eat without worrying about a flare up. If I eat a meal or snack with little or no fiber, my stomach gurgles and I get gas but no diarrhea."

Micki J (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 18, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had severe pain in my upper stomach right side by my ribs accompanied by constipation. Was told had fatty liver disease. Ordered to get x-ray MRI ctscan colonoscopy. All was fine. Pain so extreme couldn't function. After several trips to the ER 1 doc LISTENED AND BELIEVED me. She prescribed me Bentyl and gave me a shot in my bum. After 15 minutes NO PAIN!!! I hope this continues but as of now it's a lifesaver!!!!"

Nodocblievemebt1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Miracle worker!! I have IBS and I use it for flares and it lets me actually function. I notice some people on here can take it during a flare..I can't. Doesn't seem to help unless I take it about an hour before I eat."

Lindatall2 October 22, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Luv it been on it 2 days now had an attack like an hour ago was in severe pain took one 20 mg worked in 30 min its a life saver for me!"

Dee 711 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered for many years with spasming gut: rolling waves of pain so severe I would be drenched in sweat, no control of explosive diarrhea. I would be on the verge of passing out and have to lay on the bathroom stall floor in my own diarrhea. Bentyl has saved me. I was on a high dose at first, but slowly tapered off. Now I take it as soon as I feel a bout coming on. I carry it with me and it has saved me much public embarrassment. It is a blessing."

Diany October 1, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Crohn's for 16 years, recent IBS diagnosis. This medicine was very effective 18 months ago. I went off it for 2 weeks 6 months ago to see if I still needed it, and thought it was still helping. I didn't know the nausea, extreme tiredness, and weird head symptoms (like I drank too much coffee/high, dizzyish) could be related to this med since I'd already been on it for a while. The nausea and weird head symptoms got progressively worse and more persistent where some days I'd just need to nap right after waking and was not functional, while trying to raise 4 young kiddos. Thank God, I finally eliminated the dicyclomine, after changing many things about my life. Now those symptoms are gone. Still IBS symptoms that I will deal with for now."

Chronie September 29, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Took me several trips back to the ER for fluids with vitamins, to help flush this Aweful stuff out! Had BAD side effects 4 a Month!!! BAD!!! NEVER TAKE UNLESS U LUV BEING WEAK & NO ENERGY ALONG WITH MASSIVE DIAREA & NO APPITITE, & LUV DEHYDRATION"

BAD!!! DO NOT TAKE September 25, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor prescribed this after he decided out of the blue that he wasn't comfortable prescribing me Donnatal anymore. Donnatal was a 10/10 in terms of relief and lank of side effects, but Bentyl has been awful. Blurry vision, nausea, coordination problems, flushing of the skin, hot flashes, extreme dry mouth and eyes, and maybe half the time very slight relief from cramping and pain. The negative side effects absolutely outweigh the minimal benefits, especially the added nausea on top of the nausea from my IBS. I'm supposed to take 4 per day but even 2 per day and the side effects are unbearable. I can't drive after I take this either because of the vision and dizziness issues. Hands down one of the worst poisons I've put in my body."

MrSideEffects September 23, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This has been my savior when an IBS attack hits. I thank goodness for dicyclomine!"

DoctorMomma August 29, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have experienced most of the side effects and considering I had anorexia nervosa when I was young and still forget to eat for up to 10 days or more. I don't know if I should be taking this??? My doctor knew this but still prescribed it...WHY?!?"

FroggieEMT (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I love this pill I've suffered from IBS-D for 7 years was finally diagnosed I was prescribed bentyl and it's been amazing I couldn't handle red meat or seasonings or any food at all and it's been life changing I no longer fear eating the foods I love I am finally at peace with my stomach"

IBS is not BS (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I have been on this for at least ten years and to this day it still gives me nausea, and dries my mouth out terribly, they wanted me to take up to 4 a day I can barely take one."

looneyL August 6, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I took this pill tonight for the first time, almost 3 years in pain every morning I had to wake up an hour earlier just for designated bathroom time, nearly falling sometimes in pain if I couldn't get to a bathroom. Tonight I had a rolling cramp and took it, within minutes it just stopped.. I ate a full meal and I haven't had to run to the bathroom urgency... Hopefully I can handle the simpler side effects"

Happy Belly July 28, 2016

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This actually works really well. I just took this because I've been having really bad diarrhea pain but no diarrhea and the second I took this it helped. It actually allowed me to go to the bathroom and made my stomach feel 10 times better than it did."

Kbxx (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been taking this for a year, with no side effects. They made me kinda giggly and high but just recently I've been having terrible side effects. I get dizzy, disoriented, anxiety attacks, insomnia and terrible migraines. I had to be taken off of it immediately when it sent me to the ER with dialted pupils/blurred vision , slow heart rate, low blood pressure and the major disorientation"

JuliaSuzanne June 16, 2016