User Reviews for Dicyclomine

Also known as: Bemote, Bentyl, Bentyl Syrup, Byclomine, Di-Spaz, Dibent, Dicyclocot, Dilomine

Learn more about Dicyclomine.

Dicyclomine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 102 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Dicyclomine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"Works on cramps and spasms 100 percent"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Helped my IBS discomfort. Minimum help in reducing "bloating" but helped in reducing colon stress. Caused blurred vision, dizziness and tiredness as side effects."

royd (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very effective for making my bowel cramps go away. I like that I do get drowsy because I do not feel good during my IBS episodes and this helps me to rest better. The only bad thing is when I take it late in the day, the next morning and good portion of the day I am groggy and its hard to get up. I am very grateful to have something for pain thats safe, non habit forming, and works well all the time."

Neese H. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This was one of the first IBS-D medicine I have taken. It worked somewhat, but it made me forget everything. And I mean EVERYTHING."

Jennyybabe May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Absolute God Sent. This medication helped eliminate the horrible cramps and pains my stomach was experiencing. This medicine works in curing the tummy aches associated with IBS. I was skeptical at first but after a week of hell my Dr prescribed it and now about 95% of all pain and discomfort is gone. Please take this on empty stomach so you get full effects, you can eat 30-45 min later."

rayray1977 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had off and on severe heartburn with this. I've tried it with and without food, with a full glass of water and with just a little water. Sometimes it's fine and helps relax my bowels, but the heartburn feels like I swallowed a piece of glass when I get it. This really limits its effectiveness for me because I don't want to risk the heartburn, so I take it less. I take Nexium too, but it doesn't help with Dicyclomine heartburn..."

theskysnotabove (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I am going to try this medication. I have had IBS for years now. I just wanted to let you know that one thing that sets it off every time is anything carbonated, pop, water and so on. Just wanted to let you know."

IhateIBS May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I take 20 mgs of this medication 4 times a day for IBS and gastroparesis because it helps with pyloric spams that I get with it. My GI doctor also says that I can take it up to 6 times a day on days when the cramping is really bad from the spasms. It works well. I get cramping some, but not nearly like I used to. I haven't had any side effects with it. It's a huge benefit that it helps with both diseases. It also doesn't slow my stomach with the gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) down as much as most similar medications do, so it was the best choice for me."

Gastroparesis Girl May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered from bouts of severe stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting. Had every test known to man with everything coming back with no problem. Severe bloating, lots of burping. This problem started when I was only two years old, I failed classes in school, I grew up knowing that if I started belching more usual or had high stomach pain that I needed to prepare for two or three days of the worst stomach pain that you can imagine. Emergency rooms and doctors kept telling me food poisoning, gastritis, virus. The pain was so bad I thought I was going to die. Finally at 44 years old after three ER trips in two days, a simple, young doctor at the hospital gave me bentyl.....PAIN GONE!! ITS A MIRACLE DRUG. I don't take it every day but I take it when"

0529teresa0827 April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Bentyl has helped with my nervousness and the resulting nervous indigestion. I haven't noticed any side effects."

Jeane37 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I went to the E.R. with a severe case of food poisoning, after hours of fluids, IVs, various drugs, they were able to get it to stop. I filled my prescription for bentyl the next day, 20mg two times a day. After about 45 minutes I started getting bad cramps and the worse diarrhea ever. I do not recommend this to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Within 3 hours of taking this medicine I had hallucinations and state of mania. Fainted hit my head on the floor. No recollection of events for two days The side effects outweigh what this drugs fixes. I do not recommend this drug to anyone"

Horrible Medicine April 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been dealing with IBS-C for the past two years now. The Bentyl has decreased my bouts with IBS-C considerably. I still get the bouts, but they don't last as long nor do they get as severe. I used to have bouts that lasted days and were so painful I just laid in bed all day. But now I need to find another secondary drug that will also help get rid of this forever!"

cb76taurusTX (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I've struggled with undiagnosed IBS for years now..just a few days ago at a doctor appointment, I finally brought up the courage to talk to my doctor about my digestive issues. Sure enough, he diagnosed me with IBS. He prescribed me Bentyl, and this medicine has been a huge lifesaver. It calms my stomach down to the point, where I don't have to worry about locating a nearby bathroom in a public area. Bentyl truly has helped improve my life for the better"

Anonymous March 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I have been taking bentyl for a month ..what a god send I take 10 mg two times daily. I have had no issues it stopped the cramps, stools are still irregular sometimes diarrhea I am new to IBS...going to talk to my Dr about what trigger foods cause it start"

connie22 March 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have Crohn's Disease and had been taking balsalazide. However, I was still getting terrible cramps and bloating. I hated eating because it led to me looking like I was 6 months pregnant and being in crippling pain. My GI prescribed me dicyclomine in addition to my other treatments, and it has worked wonders! I can eat and not even think about it afterwards!!! No bloating, no pain! This must be what it feels like to be normal."

Amberbamber13 March 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This medication has been huge for me, I don't run to the restroom as often, my pain is way better, the only side effects I have are dry mouth, loss of appetite and blurry vision,"

Happymrs2016 February 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Been on meds 48 hours and still have pain. It controls spasms a little but my heartburn is out of control. Librax took care of all my symptoms but doc switched me to benzyl BC librax is addictive. I can't believe I'm back to severe pain. What meds works like librax? Exhausted from severe pain."

Dddddddddd February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a has severe head trauma at 20 years old put on bentyl at 24 after having a cyclic vomiting episode and abdominal migraines. Since I have head trauma it effect my stomach I feel like I'm being ripped in half. I told ER doctor this they gave me this IV. It stopped most of the pain and nausea immediately. Also I never knew it wasn't uncomfortable for everyone to have bowel movement and that cramps were abnormal thought it was just "gas" . On 20 mg 2-4 a day as needed but I wait as long as I can to take them it seems to last more than a day with me. With these if I am on the toilet with cramps I take the pill and the cramps they go away after that. I take them more as needed but that is because I know what will trigger mine which is some food, stress, commitments ,money"

bentyluser February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Two months of cramping pain that kept me from doing much work. It came in waves and then passed only to return either a few minutes or a few hours . The pain progressed until I just didn't want to keep struggling so I went to the ER fearing cancer might be the cause. A head nurse suggested Bentyl might help me when the doctors failed to offer me any help. I indicated I would be most willing to try the drug so she approached another doctor who wrote me the prescription. WOW. For me is was a major and completely effective remedy and so far I haven't had to suffer any side effects except some drowsiness after I eat. IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU BUT WORTH THE EFFORT TO TRY IT IF YOU'RE IN PAIN. IT WORKS FOR ME."

akejama January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This worked like magic on my horrible, knife-like abdominal cramps and bloating. Within 30 minutes, my tummy felt great! But... Bentyl leaves me unable to work and barely functional. When I would take it, it would make me so confused I couldn't remember where I was, why I was there, or what I had just been doing. I would stop talking to someone mid-sentence and not remember what we were talking about or how I got there. I often couldn't answer simple questions. I also became very dizzy. I would only take it again if the IBS symptoms occurred at home and at bedtime. Such a shame. Nothing took away my pain like Bentyl did."

LCinnamon (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This medication works wonders for me. Tend to get stomach cramps regularly, I miss work sometimes because I am constantly running to the bathroom. If I am travelling I have stop and use public restrooms. I never know when it's going to hit me. I am weak and faint sometimes from these flares. The only draw back is that it makes me feel tired and I get blurry vision. It has really helped me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have mild IBS. Stomach cramps in the morning. Shift between mild constipation and "all at once" where I have to use the bathroom 3 times in one hour. This medicine has greatly reduced the all or nothing pattern."

Jcm71 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"In 2012 after getting some shocking news my body went weird. I was treated for a year on a powder that made your bowels flow. I still suffered from stomach pains. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy. Finding were some polyps and acid reflex and some kind of cyst that was pushing down on my stomach. My Gi and Surgeon said after surgery I should return to normal. That did not happen. My Gi doctor told me I did not have IBS and would not treat me for that. My new primary doctor looked over my records and listened to me. She said it does sound like IBS. First plan was to change my eating habits. That did not help much at all. On 12/23/2016 she issued me Dicyclomine 20 mg 4 times a day. I don't have stomach pain and bowel almost normal."

Maryjomama December 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I just started taking this medicine today because every other medicine I've been on hasn't worked and I've been so sick with stomach pains and running to the bathroom. My doctor said to take 1 or 2. I took 2 at lunch does that mean I should take 2 at dinner as well? I can't take the stomach pains anymore. Do you guys think this will help? Thanks"

Knd1245 November 22, 2016