User Reviews for Dicyclomine

Also known as: Bemote, Bentyl, Bentyl Syrup, Byclomine, Di-Spaz, Dibent, Dicyclocot, Dilomine

Learn more about Dicyclomine.

Dicyclomine Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 100 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Dicyclomine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

"This medicine works within 45 minutes and so far has always stopped my cramping, but sometimes after I take it I start to hurt in other places. Does this happen to anyone else? I'll feel some slight pain or pressure somewhere in the rib area, and then it goes away. I'll take this pain over IBS pain though"

Campbell g September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This medication gave me my life back. I can not get through the day with no cramping, no bathroom runs hoping to make it........I highly recommend you at least try this medication. Made a world of difference for me with absolutely no side effects. YES! THIS IS A GREAT RX FOR IBS!!"

DeannaWilson99 September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "After the donation of a kidney, I have been plagued with a wide variety of non-specified gastrointestinal issues. The most pressing was a severe problem with vomiting and retching, once I started I couldn't stop. My abdominal pain was off the charts, and the only thing that would work at that point was a pain shot to quiet things down. Once I started taking the Bentyl, it's really changed my life for the better."

Sam in St. Paul (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on it for 3 years its great unless I'm constipated then forget it I still get pain but not as bad."

Mikamo September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"A GI specialist gave me this stuff for intense IBS pain. It felt like a deadly poison was going through my body. I took 2 pills. The pain was overwhelming. It did produce a large bm the 2d day. I would rather die than take it again. The Dr. never warned me of the terrible pain that might occur. I will never take it again. I am a 77 yr old male. Thank god I've got a good primary physician who prescribed me hydrocodone which stops the unbearable gut pain. I don't care if it shortens my life by 8 months or 8 years due to side effects. I'm not going the route of 1 dr after another, one medicine after another-holistic, naturopath, yoga, etc. My next (and last)step is trying the FODMAP diet."

jerrygry September 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Best meds ever for IBS with diarrhea."

black Jolie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"2011, I was admitted to ER after vomiting Blood. Performed an upper endoscopy (negative) and was discharged with antibiotics. 2014-2017, I could not function. Vomiting/nausea, diarrhea, severe constipation, body tremors, in tears due to abdominal pain, and many expensive midnight ER trips with my worried boyfriend. I performed a H. pylori breath test (positive). I took antibiotics, but I was still having all my symptoms. I was fired for calling out sick. Referred to a GI Specialist and diagnosed IBS-C. Been on Dicyclomine 2.5 months (20mg 3x), religiously follow Low FODMAP, and Miralax. I can function. Side effects: Drowsy, headaches, nightmares, bloating/cramps, gas, anxiety and mild nausea (Promethazine Rx). It's so worth it."

Alex138 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This stuff is a God send. I take it about 30 to 60 minutes before eating anything and it not only gives me a few pain free hours, but it also gives me a general relaxed feeling. *sidenote* that relaxed feeling is great when your stomach is really painful. BUT it does make you kind of on a high. Not like a drug high but more a chill relaxed high if that makes any sense. So BE CAREFUL if you need to drive or anything like that. Makes me high and tired but worth it for no stomach aches! Damn IBS!"

meeeee8529 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been suffering from IBS-d and Coeliac Disease since the end of 2011. Just recently as in four weeks ago found out what was wrong with me. I have been taking dicyclomine for about a year now and changing up my diet has really helped. With the new gluten free diet and the dicyclomine, life has gone from sitting on the toilet to being able to enjoy life. However just recently I have started to get aniexty attacks, loss of focus and zoning out as well as unusual thoughts. It really scares me when these things happen. I wish there was an alternative type of medication I could use because I do not like my mental faculties to be foggy. All and all the medication helps with the cramps, bloating, and diarrhea."

What is going on in my head. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had IBS for as long as I can remember. It gets so bad that I vomit from the pain, then about 15 years ago began passing out from the abdominal cramping. Finally talked to my dr after passing out while driving. Tried different drugs, and he finally gave me lomotil which worked but made my constipation worse. Finally, I became a nurse and started working in a prison I discovered dicyclomine is what they were prescribed so I asked my dr about it. It was been a life saver!! I take it only as needed when I start to feel the cramping coming on. The only downside is it makes me feel kind of high. Maybe it's just dizziness & tiredness but I've been known to fall down a couple of times using it. It beats passing out on the toilet though!"

Megiepoo August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on this a month and it's been horrible. I have IBS that goes in waves, sometimes I'm fine sometimes my bowels are very unpredictable. This has given me the worst stomach pain I can imagine every day since I began. I have no appetite and I also rarely have bowel movements anymore, but 24/7 I feel like I will have diarrhea.... but I never do. It's miserable, I can barely go anywhere due to the stabbing pain."

Elisabeth145 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Tried for several years. Doctor kept upping how many to take each day. Got to 4 and decided it just didn't work for me."

Plantero August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Whenever I get a stomach virus, my body fights it for hours. I get extremely painful waves of stomach spasms and it is worse than labor. This gets progressively worse until I finally throw up over and over and over with the spasms continuing till I am better. I usually end up in the ER with an IV cocktail to get the pain to subside. One of the ER docs (and now my PCP) prescribed Bentyl to me and it is like a miracle. It calms down the spasms to manageable and has no narcotic side effect. It has saved me several times to calm down the spasms that rock my stomach and saved me an ER visit."

tricializ (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Dicyclocot (dicyclomine): "Just recently started taking. About 2 weeks now. I'm beginning to have some side effects, but,in general it has clear up some of the stomach drama except the nausea . I don't like being sleepy all the time but I feel better but not 100%"

Pootydo July 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Works on cramps and spasms 100 percent"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Helped my IBS discomfort. Minimum help in reducing "bloating" but helped in reducing colon stress. Caused blurred vision, dizziness and tiredness as side effects."

royd (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very effective for making my bowel cramps go away. I like that I do get drowsy because I do not feel good during my IBS episodes and this helps me to rest better. The only bad thing is when I take it late in the day, the next morning and good portion of the day I am groggy and its hard to get up. I am very grateful to have something for pain thats safe, non habit forming, and works well all the time."

Neese H. (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This was one of the first IBS-D medicine I have taken. It worked somewhat, but it made me forget everything. And I mean EVERYTHING."

Jennyybabe May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Absolute God Sent. This medication helped eliminate the horrible cramps and pains my stomach was experiencing. This medicine works in curing the tummy aches associated with IBS. I was skeptical at first but after a week of hell my Dr prescribed it and now about 95% of all pain and discomfort is gone. Please take this on empty stomach so you get full effects, you can eat 30-45 min later."

rayray1977 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had off and on severe heartburn with this. I've tried it with and without food, with a full glass of water and with just a little water. Sometimes it's fine and helps relax my bowels, but the heartburn feels like I swallowed a piece of glass when I get it. This really limits its effectiveness for me because I don't want to risk the heartburn, so I take it less. I take Nexium too, but it doesn't help with Dicyclomine heartburn..."

theskysnotabove (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I am going to try this medication. I have had IBS for years now. I just wanted to let you know that one thing that sets it off every time is anything carbonated, pop, water and so on. Just wanted to let you know."

IhateIBS May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I take 20 mgs of this medication 4 times a day for IBS and gastroparesis because it helps with pyloric spams that I get with it. My GI doctor also says that I can take it up to 6 times a day on days when the cramping is really bad from the spasms. It works well. I get cramping some, but not nearly like I used to. I haven't had any side effects with it. It's a huge benefit that it helps with both diseases. It also doesn't slow my stomach with the gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) down as much as most similar medications do, so it was the best choice for me."

Gastroparesis Girl May 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered from bouts of severe stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting. Had every test known to man with everything coming back with no problem. Severe bloating, lots of burping. This problem started when I was only two years old, I failed classes in school, I grew up knowing that if I started belching more usual or had high stomach pain that I needed to prepare for two or three days of the worst stomach pain that you can imagine. Emergency rooms and doctors kept telling me food poisoning, gastritis, virus. The pain was so bad I thought I was going to die. Finally at 44 years old after three ER trips in two days, a simple, young doctor at the hospital gave me bentyl.....PAIN GONE!! ITS A MIRACLE DRUG. I don't take it every day but I take it when"

0529teresa0827 April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Bentyl has helped with my nervousness and the resulting nervous indigestion. I haven't noticed any side effects."

Jeane37 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I went to the E.R. with a severe case of food poisoning, after hours of fluids, IVs, various drugs, they were able to get it to stop. I filled my prescription for bentyl the next day, 20mg two times a day. After about 45 minutes I started getting bad cramps and the worse diarrhea ever. I do not recommend this to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017