User Reviews for Dicyclomine

Also known as: Bemote, Bentyl, Bentyl Syrup, Byclomine, Di-Spaz, Dibent, Dicyclocot, Dilomine

Learn more about Dicyclomine.

Dicyclomine Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Dicyclomine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I just started taking this medicine today because every other medicine I've been on hasn't worked and I've been so sick with stomach pains and running to the bathroom. My doctor said to take 1 or 2. I took 2 at lunch does that mean I should take 2 at dinner as well? I can't take the stomach pains anymore. Do you guys think this will help? Thanks"

Knd1245 November 22, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I've been on Bentyl for 3 1/2 years and my IBS is so much better when I take my pill. Initially I had severe dry mouth that lasted for about 3 months, but I no longer have that side effect. I take a pill one hour before I eat, and I can pretty much eat without worrying about a flare up. If I eat a meal or snack with little or no fiber, my stomach gurgles and I get gas but no diarrhea."

Micki J (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 18, 2016

"I had severe pain in my upper stomach right side by my ribs accompanied by constipation. Was told had fatty liver disease. Ordered to get x-ray MRI ctscan colonoscopy. All was fine. Pain so extreme couldn't function. After several trips to the ER 1 doc LISTENED AND BELIEVED me. She prescribed me Bentyl and gave me a shot in my bum. After 15 minutes NO PAIN!!! I hope this continues but as of now it's a lifesaver!!!!"

Nodocblievemebt1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

"Miracle worker!! I have IBS and I use it for flares and it lets me actually function. I notice some people on here can take it during a flare..I can't. Doesn't seem to help unless I take it about an hour before I eat."

Lindatall2 October 22, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Luv it been on it 2 days now had an attack like an hour ago was in severe pain took one 20 mg worked in 30 min its a life saver for me!"

Dee 711 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

"I suffered for many years with spasming gut: rolling waves of pain so severe I would be drenched in sweat, no control of explosive diarrhea. I would be on the verge of passing out and have to lay on the bathroom stall floor in my own diarrhea. Bentyl has saved me. I was on a high dose at first, but slowly tapered off. Now I take it as soon as I feel a bout coming on. I carry it with me and it has saved me much public embarrassment. It is a blessing."

Diany October 1, 2016

"Crohn's for 16 years, recent IBS diagnosis. This medicine was very effective 18 months ago. I went off it for 2 weeks 6 months ago to see if I still needed it, and thought it was still helping. I didn't know the nausea, extreme tiredness, and weird head symptoms (like I drank too much coffee/high, dizzyish) could be related to this med since I'd already been on it for a while. The nausea and weird head symptoms got progressively worse and more persistent where some days I'd just need to nap right after waking and was not functional, while trying to raise 4 young kiddos. Thank God, I finally eliminated the dicyclomine, after changing many things about my life. Now those symptoms are gone. Still IBS symptoms that I will deal with for now."

Chronie September 29, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Took me several trips back to the ER for fluids with vitamins, to help flush this Aweful stuff out! Had BAD side effects 4 a Month!!! BAD!!! NEVER TAKE UNLESS U LUV BEING WEAK & NO ENERGY ALONG WITH MASSIVE DIAREA & NO APPITITE, & LUV DEHYDRATION"

BAD!!! DO NOT TAKE September 25, 2016

"My doctor prescribed this after he decided out of the blue that he wasn't comfortable prescribing me Donnatal anymore. Donnatal was a 10/10 in terms of relief and lank of side effects, but Bentyl has been awful. Blurry vision, nausea, coordination problems, flushing of the skin, hot flashes, extreme dry mouth and eyes, and maybe half the time very slight relief from cramping and pain. The negative side effects absolutely outweigh the minimal benefits, especially the added nausea on top of the nausea from my IBS. I'm supposed to take 4 per day but even 2 per day and the side effects are unbearable. I can't drive after I take this either because of the vision and dizziness issues. Hands down one of the worst poisons I've put in my body."

MrSideEffects September 23, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This has been my savior when an IBS attack hits. I thank goodness for dicyclomine!"

DoctorMomma August 29, 2016

"I have experienced most of the side effects and considering I had anorexia nervosa when I was young and still forget to eat for up to 10 days or more. I don't know if I should be taking this??? My doctor knew this but still prescribed it...WHY?!?"

FroggieEMT (taken for less than 1 month) August 13, 2016

"I love this pill I've suffered from IBS-D for 7 years was finally diagnosed I was prescribed bentyl and it's been amazing I couldn't handle red meat or seasonings or any food at all and it's been life changing I no longer fear eating the foods I love I am finally at peace with my stomach"

IBS is not BS (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I have been on this for at least ten years and to this day it still gives me nausea, and dries my mouth out terribly, they wanted me to take up to 4 a day I can barely take one."

looneyL August 6, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I took this pill tonight for the first time, almost 3 years in pain every morning I had to wake up an hour earlier just for designated bathroom time, nearly falling sometimes in pain if I couldn't get to a bathroom. Tonight I had a rolling cramp and took it, within minutes it just stopped.. I ate a full meal and I haven't had to run to the bathroom urgency... Hopefully I can handle the simpler side effects"

Happy Belly July 28, 2016

"This actually works really well. I just took this because I've been having really bad diarrhea pain but no diarrhea and the second I took this it helped. It actually allowed me to go to the bathroom and made my stomach feel 10 times better than it did."

Kbxx (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2016

"I had been taking this for a year, with no side effects. They made me kinda giggly and high but just recently I've been having terrible side effects. I get dizzy, disoriented, anxiety attacks, insomnia and terrible migraines. I had to be taken off of it immediately when it sent me to the ER with dialted pupils/blurred vision , slow heart rate, low blood pressure and the major disorientation"

JuliaSuzanne June 16, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Crohns Disease 10 years - just started it as needed recently. Has saved me several from having to go to the ER. Slows my bowels so I don't have loose stools while traveling. Works quickly. Little to no side effects - 10mg"

Theo788255 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I took this without ill effect for several years, then suddenly it became a bad migraine trigger, the blurry vision became untolerable, do had to stop."

fracnes April 17, 2016

"I actually call these my magic belly pills. I was given the bentyl for IBS-C. BEST THING to happen to my chronic stomach pains. I do get a sedated type of feel from it, but it's completely worth it and its not as sedating as Benadryl is for me, so it's not bad at all. I only take it as needed, but sometimes it's needed around the clock for a few days in a row. It also works better than anything I've tried for menstrual cramps too. This has been a life saver for me. Even though its prescribed for IBS with diarrhea, it relaxes my muscles so that I am able to go. Amazing drug and I would recommend it to anyone suffering with stomach pains."

Amangi06 (taken for 10 years or more) March 14, 2016

"I get horrible cramping in my lower abdomen and my GI suspects I have IBS so she prescribed this to me to take as needed up to twice a day. This is the only stuff that works for me in all honesty. I have tried everything else and this has worked like a charm every time I have needed it."

Ayden P. March 13, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Vivid nightmares vivid daytime hallucinations usually concerning my spouse and other women"

Janey Liggett (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I am a male, 66 years old. Suffering from IBS/SIBO for 20 plus years. Check out SIBO on google. Side effects for this medicine give me extreme headaches. I have started using my old standby Peppermint Plus with no LSD affects. I also take peppermint tea with ginger powder."

King of IBS (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2016

"I've had IBS for 6 years this is the only medication that has worked for me the only thing is it makes me drowsy but I also take 2 pills a day"

LlamaMama (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 14, 2016

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Started with a low dose at 10 mg to avoid drowsiness. This was the only option for me after fighting IBS for over 15 years. Works on your first day right away. The only side effect is a little blury vision. I take one dose right before dinner time. The pill regulates the bowel movements like clock work. This pill also helped me with my sleep issues."

badgut February 11, 2016

"I'm on my second script. I still have gastritis so I'm not taking it anymore."

DLPorter January 10, 2016