User Reviews for Dicyclomine

Also known as: Bemote, Bentyl, Bentyl Syrup, Byclomine, Di-Spaz, Dibent, Dicyclocot, Dilomine

Learn more about Dicyclomine.

Dicyclomine Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 99 medications used in the treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Reviews for Dicyclomine to treat Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I am going to try this medication. I have had IBS for years now. I just wanted to let you know that one thing that sets it off every time is anything carbonated, pop, water and so on. Just wanted to let you know."

IhateIBS May 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I take 20 mgs of this medication 4 times a day for IBS and gastroparesis because it helps with pyloric spams that I get with it. My GI doctor also says that I can take it up to 6 times a day on days when the cramping is really bad from the spasms. It works well. I get cramping some, but not nearly like I used to. I haven't had any side effects with it. It's a huge benefit that it helps with both diseases. It also doesn't slow my stomach with the gastroparesis (paralyzed stomach) down as much as most similar medications do, so it was the best choice for me."

Gastroparesis Girl May 20, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered from bouts of severe stomach pain, diarrhea, vomiting. Had every test known to man with everything coming back with no problem. Severe bloating, lots of burping. This problem started when I was only two years old, I failed classes in school, I grew up knowing that if I started belching more usual or had high stomach pain that I needed to prepare for two or three days of the worst stomach pain that you can imagine. Emergency rooms and doctors kept telling me food poisoning, gastritis, virus. The pain was so bad I thought I was going to die. Finally at 44 years old after three ER trips in two days, a simple, young doctor at the hospital gave me bentyl.....PAIN GONE!! ITS A MIRACLE DRUG. I don't take it every day but I take it when"

0529teresa0827 April 20, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Bentyl has helped with my nervousness and the resulting nervous indigestion. I haven't noticed any side effects."

Jeane37 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I went to the E.R. with a severe case of food poisoning, after hours of fluids, IVs, various drugs, they were able to get it to stop. I filled my prescription for bentyl the next day, 20mg two times a day. After about 45 minutes I started getting bad cramps and the worse diarrhea ever. I do not recommend this to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 19, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Within 3 hours of taking this medicine I had hallucinations and state of mania. Fainted hit my head on the floor. No recollection of events for two days The side effects outweigh what this drugs fixes. I do not recommend this drug to anyone"

Horrible Medicine April 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been dealing with IBS-C for the past two years now. The Bentyl has decreased my bouts with IBS-C considerably. I still get the bouts, but they don't last as long nor do they get as severe. I used to have bouts that lasted days and were so painful I just laid in bed all day. But now I need to find another secondary drug that will also help get rid of this forever!"

cb76taurusTX (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 1, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I've struggled with undiagnosed IBS for years now..just a few days ago at a doctor appointment, I finally brought up the courage to talk to my doctor about my digestive issues. Sure enough, he diagnosed me with IBS. He prescribed me Bentyl, and this medicine has been a huge lifesaver. It calms my stomach down to the point, where I don't have to worry about locating a nearby bathroom in a public area. Bentyl truly has helped improve my life for the better"

Anonymous March 31, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I have been taking bentyl for a month ..what a god send I take 10 mg two times daily. I have had no issues it stopped the cramps, stools are still irregular sometimes diarrhea I am new to IBS...going to talk to my Dr about what trigger foods cause it start"

connie22 March 30, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have Crohn's Disease and had been taking balsalazide. However, I was still getting terrible cramps and bloating. I hated eating because it led to me looking like I was 6 months pregnant and being in crippling pain. My GI prescribed me dicyclomine in addition to my other treatments, and it has worked wonders! I can eat and not even think about it afterwards!!! No bloating, no pain! This must be what it feels like to be normal."

Amberbamber13 March 27, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This medication has been huge for me, I don't run to the restroom as often, my pain is way better, the only side effects I have are dry mouth, loss of appetite and blurry vision,"

Happymrs2016 February 27, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Been on meds 48 hours and still have pain. It controls spasms a little but my heartburn is out of control. Librax took care of all my symptoms but doc switched me to benzyl BC librax is addictive. I can't believe I'm back to severe pain. What meds works like librax? Exhausted from severe pain."

Dddddddddd February 12, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a has severe head trauma at 20 years old put on bentyl at 24 after having a cyclic vomiting episode and abdominal migraines. Since I have head trauma it effect my stomach I feel like I'm being ripped in half. I told ER doctor this they gave me this IV. It stopped most of the pain and nausea immediately. Also I never knew it wasn't uncomfortable for everyone to have bowel movement and that cramps were abnormal thought it was just "gas" . On 20 mg 2-4 a day as needed but I wait as long as I can to take them it seems to last more than a day with me. With these if I am on the toilet with cramps I take the pill and the cramps they go away after that. I take them more as needed but that is because I know what will trigger mine which is some food, stress, commitments ,money"

bentyluser February 12, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Two months of cramping pain that kept me from doing much work. It came in waves and then passed only to return either a few minutes or a few hours . The pain progressed until I just didn't want to keep struggling so I went to the ER fearing cancer might be the cause. A head nurse suggested Bentyl might help me when the doctors failed to offer me any help. I indicated I would be most willing to try the drug so she approached another doctor who wrote me the prescription. WOW. For me is was a major and completely effective remedy and so far I haven't had to suffer any side effects except some drowsiness after I eat. IT MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU BUT WORTH THE EFFORT TO TRY IT IF YOU'RE IN PAIN. IT WORKS FOR ME."

akejama January 30, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This worked like magic on my horrible, knife-like abdominal cramps and bloating. Within 30 minutes, my tummy felt great! But... Bentyl leaves me unable to work and barely functional. When I would take it, it would make me so confused I couldn't remember where I was, why I was there, or what I had just been doing. I would stop talking to someone mid-sentence and not remember what we were talking about or how I got there. I often couldn't answer simple questions. I also became very dizzy. I would only take it again if the IBS symptoms occurred at home and at bedtime. Such a shame. Nothing took away my pain like Bentyl did."

LCinnamon (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "This medication works wonders for me. Tend to get stomach cramps regularly, I miss work sometimes because I am constantly running to the bathroom. If I am travelling I have stop and use public restrooms. I never know when it's going to hit me. I am weak and faint sometimes from these flares. The only draw back is that it makes me feel tired and I get blurry vision. It has really helped me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have mild IBS. Stomach cramps in the morning. Shift between mild constipation and "all at once" where I have to use the bathroom 3 times in one hour. This medicine has greatly reduced the all or nothing pattern."

Jcm71 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"In 2012 after getting some shocking news my body went weird. I was treated for a year on a powder that made your bowels flow. I still suffered from stomach pains. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy. Finding were some polyps and acid reflex and some kind of cyst that was pushing down on my stomach. My Gi and Surgeon said after surgery I should return to normal. That did not happen. My Gi doctor told me I did not have IBS and would not treat me for that. My new primary doctor looked over my records and listened to me. She said it does sound like IBS. First plan was to change my eating habits. That did not help much at all. On 12/23/2016 she issued me Dicyclomine 20 mg 4 times a day. I don't have stomach pain and bowel almost normal."

Maryjomama December 27, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I just started taking this medicine today because every other medicine I've been on hasn't worked and I've been so sick with stomach pains and running to the bathroom. My doctor said to take 1 or 2. I took 2 at lunch does that mean I should take 2 at dinner as well? I can't take the stomach pains anymore. Do you guys think this will help? Thanks"

Knd1245 November 22, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "I've been on Bentyl for 3 1/2 years and my IBS is so much better when I take my pill. Initially I had severe dry mouth that lasted for about 3 months, but I no longer have that side effect. I take a pill one hour before I eat, and I can pretty much eat without worrying about a flare up. If I eat a meal or snack with little or no fiber, my stomach gurgles and I get gas but no diarrhea."

Micki J (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 18, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had severe pain in my upper stomach right side by my ribs accompanied by constipation. Was told had fatty liver disease. Ordered to get x-ray MRI ctscan colonoscopy. All was fine. Pain so extreme couldn't function. After several trips to the ER 1 doc LISTENED AND BELIEVED me. She prescribed me Bentyl and gave me a shot in my bum. After 15 minutes NO PAIN!!! I hope this continues but as of now it's a lifesaver!!!!"

Nodocblievemebt1 (taken for less than 1 month) November 1, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Miracle worker!! I have IBS and I use it for flares and it lets me actually function. I notice some people on here can take it during a flare..I can't. Doesn't seem to help unless I take it about an hour before I eat."

Lindatall2 October 22, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Bentyl (dicyclomine): "Luv it been on it 2 days now had an attack like an hour ago was in severe pain took one 20 mg worked in 30 min its a life saver for me!"

Dee 711 (taken for less than 1 month) October 7, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I suffered for many years with spasming gut: rolling waves of pain so severe I would be drenched in sweat, no control of explosive diarrhea. I would be on the verge of passing out and have to lay on the bathroom stall floor in my own diarrhea. Bentyl has saved me. I was on a high dose at first, but slowly tapered off. Now I take it as soon as I feel a bout coming on. I carry it with me and it has saved me much public embarrassment. It is a blessing."

Diany October 1, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Crohn's for 16 years, recent IBS diagnosis. This medicine was very effective 18 months ago. I went off it for 2 weeks 6 months ago to see if I still needed it, and thought it was still helping. I didn't know the nausea, extreme tiredness, and weird head symptoms (like I drank too much coffee/high, dizzyish) could be related to this med since I'd already been on it for a while. The nausea and weird head symptoms got progressively worse and more persistent where some days I'd just need to nap right after waking and was not functional, while trying to raise 4 young kiddos. Thank God, I finally eliminated the dicyclomine, after changing many things about my life. Now those symptoms are gone. Still IBS symptoms that I will deal with for now."

Chronie September 29, 2016