User Reviews for Dicyclomine

Noninfectious Colitis  Off-label
6.9

Reviews for Dicyclomine

NET patient · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 27, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have neuroendocrine tumor (NET) cancer of the small intestines - older term is carcinoid - AND lucky me - IBS-C also . I have had these for “1-2 decades” as per my specialists. The pain from an intestinal attack is beyond a living nightmare. Radiates up and around to kidneys . A HOT heating pad on belly and back helps but this drug dicyclomine has been a lifesaver . The trick is : 4 10mg pills a day spaced out to start. Then slowly wean down to 3 per day etc”

PIC · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2021

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Have been taking dicyclomine from 2 weeks. Have felt a bit better however feeling extremely high about an hour taking it.”

HealthWiz · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2021

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Still have diarrhea a few days after this med! I will be waiting a few more days to see how this goes. No more gas or bloating. But diarrhea like crazy!!”

BloatedNoMore · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I've suffered with the symptoms of IBS for years, including excess flatulence, ridiculous bloating, constant stomach pain and alternating constipation/diarrhea. I don't like to take prescription meds, so I tried probiotics, digestive enzymes, yogurt, kefir, peppermint oil, herbal supplements...all to no avail. I had developed such a severe pain in my right hand side, below the ribs, that I was starting to wonder if I had something more serious going on than just IBS. Within a few hours of taking this drug, my poor, outraged stomach and intestines probably cried with relief. The pain in my right hand side is gone. No more bloating or dreading the after-effects of meal time...no more avoiding social situations due to the IBS symptoms. My stomach has already gotten flatter and I no longer have the 5-month pregnant appearance thing going on. I've noticed some drowsiness and mild constipation, but these symptoms pale in comparison to the horrors of ongoing IBS pain.”

Jean · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2019

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This past year started with extreme bloating then stomach pain for past few months. Underwent tests which found nothing other than an ulcer. The pain was making me very sick and I was desperate to try anything. I read reviews with this drug, but because nothing else helped, didn’t really think it would work. I started it last night and it is amazing! Felt better sometime after and when I woke up I had no stomach pain. I’ve taken it three times so far and feel so much better. Happy to finally feel relief from IBS-C! I really hope it continues to work and others can also benefit from it like I do.”

Tomie · Taken for less than 1 month October 11, 2020

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Doctor convinced me to try Bentyl for abdominal pain as he thought it was IBS. I suffer with constipation. He told me to start with 10 mg in the morning for 1 week then increase to twice a day because I am sensitive to many medications. Today was my fourth day and my pain and constipation are so severe I thought about going to the ER. I am trying to get my bowels moving again on my own. As my experience at the ER is they do a CAT scan, say everything looks ok and send me home in severe pain. If I call my GI doc he says if it's that severe go to the ER, and then ER sends me home. It's so frustrating. I'm glad it helps so many others. I will never take it again.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “My gastroenterologist has prescribed several meds for my irritable bowel syndrome including mini enemas nightly for 6 weeks...pure awfulness I’ll tell you that. My symptom was horrible diarrhea and it really affected my quality of life. But since I began taking Bentyl (2 tablets, 20 mg each at bedtime) my diarrhea has completely stopped. I will therefore give it a 10 plus. Thank you for improving my quality of life!”

Peachfuzz · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 4, 2019

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I didn't have health insurance and assumed the treatment for my stomach problems would be high, so I avoided going. After, probably 2 years of diarrhea, bloating, horrible stomach cramping, etc. on a daily basis. I finally consented to going to our local town doctor. He prescribed me Bentyl at the highest dose (20mg 4x daily) and right after the first dose, I could feel the relief. I've been taking it for a little over a year now and it is a gift from God! It has helped me so much!”

Ibssufferer · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 13, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I am a very tiny 104 lb 21 year old that’s been suffering from IBS-D post cholecystectomy. Now it’s been a year since I deal with trapped wind, intestinal pain & bloating, diarrhea. It is literally my ileum & descending colon that I feel spasming horrendously; I can only imagine it feels like labor. I have a love and hate relationship with bentyl. I’m an emergency bentyl user (read the potential long term use effects). This helps at least 90% of the time. And when it kicks in, I think, “that attack wasn’t that bad”. It stops the spasming and it decreases the pain; score 10 pain during drops to a 2 60 ish minutes later. 8/10 because of side effects. Mine include blurry vision and confusion. I had to leave work one time because I was just confused, blurred vision, and having an anxiety attack. Believe me. Stay at home for the few hours or take it at night. I honestly hope I helped someone because IBS sufferers need to support each other.”

Finyte · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2020

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I was 18 when I took Bentyl, was having stomach problems on and off for about a year and a half, it was so bad one day where I couldn't get out of bed. About 5 months after that I was prescribed this medicine, it did NOT help at all. While I understand that it can be a hit or miss for most people I have to say that the side effects made my pain seem like nothing and that's not an exaggeration. I took my first dose in the evening (10mg) and within a half hour to 45 minutes my left arm and lower neck went completely numb, my hands were tingly, my vision became blurred, I had trouble breathing, I went cold, and I couldn't concentrate on anything. I even took the medicine and was safe about it, did everything my doctor told me to do but it made no difference. I genuinely believe this drug isn't worth the side effects, especially if you already suffer from mental problems like I do.”

Hannah December 2, 2019

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I’ve been dealing with IBS-C and stomach pain for a few years now. At first I was just managing it with over the counter probiotics, enzymes, fiber gummies, etc. but overtime everything stopped working. I needed something stronger once my stomach cramps got so bad it lead me to throw up and have awful diarrhea. My doctor prescribed me bentyl for the stomach cramps. I take bentyl as needed anytime I feel the onset of my stomach cramps, but typically I don’t need it more than once a day. As soon as I take it, the cramping subsides and I no longer get to the point of extreme pain. But in my experience, once my stomach cramps get to their worst point, I don’t find relief with bentyl. It only works for me if I catch it in time. I often feel my heart beating faster than usual, along with some drowsiness when I take it. A much better feeling than the cramping though. Also at times I feel it makes me more constipated, so I try not to take it too often since I have IBS-C.”

Lil Li · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 18, 2020

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have a very spastic Colon and that is in part caused by my IBS. I also have a severe anxiety disorder. Due to my anxiety’s strong control of my mind I was afraid to try the new meds (Bentyl) and it actually took me a few months before I did. I will stand firm that this medication does it’s job at taking away that gut wrenching pain BUT I must also say that if you start this medication you need to follow a strict dosing schedule. Don’t miss a dose and don’t think because your symptoms subside that’s it ok to just pull yourself off of the medicine. Always talk with your doctor first ! My problem was having a very inconsistent dosing schedule and I’d never reap the full reward this medicine offers but once I started really sticking with it there was relief and still almost two years later it’s STILL working”

Blessed December 14, 2020

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “So, I have been struggling for nearly a year after my Whipple surgery with terrible stomach pain, gas, bloating, spasms and painful bowel movements. Despite all my complaining and attempts to try different prescriptions, including Creon. My doctor finely put me on Bentyl and it has been the miracle drug I've been looking for. I can even sleep through the night now without waking to terrible stomach pain. I just can't believe how much better I am. If only I had found this sooner.”

Kam · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “This dicyclomine is a miracle drug. I was in the ER with the worst stomach pain and cramping you could ever imagine. I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. I couldn't go to the bathroom, there was no relief no matter what I did. Childbirth was nothing compared to this pain. The nurse gave me Bentyl in a pill. Within 10-15 minutes I could feel the pain leaving me I was able to lay down and actually fall asleep. I went from a 10 on the pain chart to a 1 in no time. I HIGHLY recommend this medication dicyclomine for IBS”

Beach Peach · Taken for less than 1 month October 4, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I've been suffering with stomach issues for months and months. A couple weeks ago I started having rolling pains in my entire torso. Lower belly, side pain, back pain, just all over. I thought it was appendix or kidneys. I saw my PCP who sent me for a contrast ultrasound. I'm in the process of tests to determine exactly what's going on, but my gastro prescribed dicyclomine. I took my first dose yesterday at noon. I thought it was in my head that the pain went away, but I found this thread and learned that so many of you had the same experience. I even had a normal 'morning' today! I wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I'm paying very close attention to any side effects, and so far, I'm good. I'd definitely recommend giving this drug a try!”

Ibs/ibd sucks TGFBentyl · Taken for less than 1 month December 13, 2014

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Suffering from cramping, diarrhea, and spasms for over a month and within 10 mins of taking the 10mg pill I feel much better. I can actually walk around and not worry about having to be near the bathroom 24/7. Has not completely stopped spasms but has helped tremendously. The cramps have stopped! I would recommend anyone trying this out for irritable bowel syndrome/inflammatory bowel disease cramping relief. Female, IBD, 25yrs old.”

Niya March 25, 2019

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “So I had a bad case of gastroenteritis and ended up in the ER due to bad stomach pains (LIKE REALLY BAD) vomiting, and unable to have bowel movements. The ER doc prescribed me Bentyl, and when I tell you I’m so happy to have found this forum, I am ecstatic! Not because this drug helped me but because there’s others who had the same HORRIBLE effects I had. Minutes from taking Bentyl, my mind was distorted , restless and I almost unhooked myself from the IV and walked out. I remember refusing treatment (ultrasound) which isn’t like me at all. I packed my bags and demanded to be discharged. I was a total lunatic, my mind was racing, I was very confused and I couldn’t focus. The car ride was the worst! I was hallucinating and in this weird foggy state for TWO DAYS. I thought it was tied to my viral illness but no it was from Bentyl. So when I say I’ll never take this again, I will never. I had crazy thoughts, I couldn’t sleep for two days, it was hell on earth. Never again!”

CeeFlo · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2019

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have Crohn's Disease and am experiencing a mild flare consisting of diarrhea, resulting in severe dehydration. (Spent a couple hours at Patient First yesterday receiving 2 bags of saline & needed more but refused the ER.) In between bouts of diarrhea, I was cramping/spasming and remembered last year during my month-long hospitalization for a severe flare, I was prescribed an antispasmodic. The attending physician looked up my chart and reminded me Bentyl was prescribed to me. I don't remember taking it very often/long last year, but for this flare, it has helped tremendously! I was able to have more solid BM's, decreased cramping/spasms, and literally no side effects. It's allowed me to sleep more without having to wake for urgent diarrhea in the middle of the night. Highly recommend at least trying this med! (10 mg, 4x/day)”

No longer stay at home mom · Taken for less than 1 month August 22, 2014

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Amazing! I have been sick with Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea for 5 years. Because of this I have been a stay at home mom those 5 years because I couldn't hold a job with my stomach issues. I have tried 4 different probiotics, Activia yogurt, pepper net extract pills, ginger pills, aloe juice and aloe pills. None have worked as effectively as this miracle pill after 2 days. I feel like a person again and not a toilet seat cover. I can now go to work because my kids are in school part time and I am not running to the bathroom. I have not experienced these side effects, only a little bloating. But I was always bloated anyway. I only hope this medicine has staying power and my body doesn't become used to it.”

belly hurting October 24, 2013

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have had IBS for about 18 years. Symptoms of bloating, swollen stomach, looking like I'm 6 mos pregnant, severe cramps, very loose bowels. Symptoms lasting weeks making me home bound and in bed. Eating crackers and drinking juice. I have went to a number of doctors. Finally my gastrollgist prescribing Bentyl. I was taking it 3 times daily then 2 times daily. Because of making me tired, I now only take it when I have flare ups. I try to take it at night when possible. This medicine has really helped me. I highly suggest it.”

Alex · Taken for 1 to 2 years October 1, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Absolute miracle drug....helps with severe IBS diarrhea, and severe stomach cramp pain related to general anxiety disorder. I was very skeptical at first when the doc prescribed, was in tears when it worked the first night. Since then it has not failed me...no side effects. Again if you suffer from severe IBS this medicine works!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2020

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have a stomach bug (Gastroenteritis) that has lasted 3 days so far. I was prescribed bentyl and zofran on day 2. I do not take pills well, I'm always worried about side effects. I decided to take one after being prescribed Bentyl anyways. I am a 28 yr old female weighing about 175. Bentyl made me a bit dizzy for about 2 hours but not too bad. Make sure you take it with a full glass of water and lay down. Day 3 I took another pill, thinking I'll be fine just a little dizziness. I was wrong. I did wait too long between doses, I'm not sure if that's what caused bad side effects. (18 hours in between) or because I can't handle muscle relaxers. Either way, exactly 30 minutes after taking Bentyl this time, I was slowly becoming "high" but not in a fun way. I sat down had some soup and as soon as I stood up to walk I felt really low to the ground like gravity was pulling on me pretty hard. I was very nervous from this point onward until it wore off by the 2nd hour.”

FifiLola · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2019

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I'm in awe of how fast Bentyl worked for IBS. I've been in a horrible place for the past 6 years; right after I had my gallbladder removed. I started dumping bile a few times in the morning to having full blown IBS-D with no relief in sight. Then my primary doctor recommended Bentyl. It cost me a $1 for 120 pills. Before the Bentyl I was constant pain and diarrhea with nonstop spasms. BUT now I'm starting to get my energy back, looking to getting out of the house more (you know the anxiety..where is the closest bathroom, will it zap my energy etc etc), and praying this is a long term fix. I'm already chronically ill with Wegener's granulomatosis, but this bowel situation is worse than that most of the time. If you are at the end of your rope try this. I think the benefits for me far outweigh the side effects. So far, week 1, the only side effect is it makes me nap. I'm on chemo too, so put these meds together and I really sleep.”

gorra92 · Taken for less than 1 month November 17, 2013

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “Doctors are not sure what is wrong with me. My symptoms activate during the night, around 2 to 4am the pain in stomach sometimes boating and other times a burning sensation that feels Bentyl. I have had this medicine sitting on my coffee table for 3 days without taking it because I hate taking pills and I was waiting for another attack. Doc wanted me to take them 3 times a day. This morning at 6am I was having the pain. The pain in my back is 10 times worse then my stomach. So I took one Bentyl and within 10 mins the pain is gone. This was my first pill that I have taken that actually took the pain away. I have an attack about 3 days a week.”

Sarah0101010 · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 2, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “IBS-D, sometimes C... this medication is great for IBS-D. On numerous occasions I’ve been out to dinner and suddenly started experiencing the all-too-familiar cramping that always leads to terribly painful bowel spasms and the need to find a restroom, stat. I can take one Bentyl at that moment to ease the spasms, get through the rest of the dinner meeting, and make it to my home. A sort of pleasant “side effect” is that it seems that since the Bentyl stops the spasms and effectively makes me able to wait longer to use the restroom, my stool isn’t so loose when I do finally go. Also, there is so much less abdominal pain associated with a bowel movement. I would highly, highly recommend this medication! I’ve noticed no adverse effects.”

Aaron · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 8, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have migraine, dysautonomia, anxiety, and IBS. I spend many hours researching drugs that are prescribed to me before taking them, and everything about Bentyl told me that it would be a dreadful mistake to take it. I was wrong. Despite dicyclomine being an anticholinergic drug and the fact that I have autonomic dysfunction (including tachycardia), I have have experienced no anticholinergic side effects. I do not understand how this is even possible given my conditions, but Bentyl takes me from severe, debilitating pain to almost total relief without any anxiety, tachycardia, or sedation. I have turned the internet inside out to try to find out why this is the case, but have found no explanation. It continues to work wonders for my IBS.”

tommydarb · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 5, 2019

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “For my IBS-C, dicyclomine has been a life saver by mitigating the abdominal muscle cramps I get. I have been on the medication for about 4 years with no significant side effects. I typically take one 10mg with meals (3x per day). Over the years, I have tried stopping this medication a few times. But every time I discontinue dicyclomine, I developed escalating and intense abdominal cramping within 12 hours. Then I restart dicyclomine and the cramps go away. I do not see much effect on my stool composition from dicyclomine like some of the others here, but it has definitely helped me with cramping and quality of life.”

JayW218 September 4, 2015

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: “I have had trouble with cramping in my stomach and having the urge to use the restroom 5 times a day sometimes diarrhea and sometimes nothing . It was getting to the point where when I would lay down at night, my stomach would start cramping. I eventually had gotten under the grips of anxiety I figured I was WAY too young to have all these complications (I am 19 yrs. old.) so I went to the doctor and told him about my anxiety, stomach cramps, etc. He prescribed me Zoloft and Ativan. They didn't help at all and I finally hit rock bottom. I went back to the doctor and he prescribed me Bentyl. This drug is a miracle. I finally feel like I can live and breathe again! I don't have the worries like I had before. THANK YOU BENTYL!!!!!”