User Reviews for Dicyclomine

Also known as: Bemote, Bentyl, Bentyl Syrup, Byclomine, Di-Spaz, Dibent, Dicyclocot, Dilomine

Irritable Bowel Syndrome

8.8

3 reviews
Summary of Dicyclomine reviews 7.8 171 reviews

Reviews for Dicyclomine

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It's getting to be at least once a week. Cramping just like being in labor! Running to bathroom and sometimes not making it. Never know when it will hit me..day or night. Lasts one hour to five hours. Now afraid to make any kind of plans. will it hit me?? Colonoscopy was fine."

Linda (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I just got this prescription last week for my horrible lower abdominal/pelvic cramps. It has taken the pain away, however, I can still feel the cramps coming on but not as severe. I don't have any side effects either."

Tal (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have IBS and IBD and this is the only thing that has worked for me. I have been on morphine and still have the stomach pains. It works within 30 mins. Side effects are sleepiness and some brain fog, but I don't care. I rather deal with that then waiting at the ER for hours doped up and with no relief. The ER prescribed it and I am truly grateful!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I took them for a week. They did not help at all. I have severe constipation, bloating, or stomach pain; worsening of diarrhea or other irritable bowel symptoms. I stopped taking them tonight. Ask the M.D. to prescribe another medication. The pain I feel right now, is excruciating."

EMB (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I went back to this due to side effects with another medication. Bentyl is cheap and works but the side effects make me dizzy and tired. I'll keep taking it because it't the only thing that works. Must take 2-4 times a day to not have cramping but def works for cramping like nothing else."

cheap but comes with a price (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Very effective, but the side effects can be unpleasant. I usually get a very dry mouth, a little nausea, and a mild headache. But I'll happily take that over excruciating cramps."

Sarammmmtia January 26, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had a "nervous stomach " my whole life and had my gall bladder out 10 years ago. Ever since I have had IBD-d. I finally found a Dr to diagnose me and get me on dicyclomine. What a godsend. Yes, I get drowsy but the alternative is being in pain and on the commode for days on end. (pun intended)"

mscherie January 25, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I tend to only need this once a month or so. When the cramps begin, I take one pill and with 30 minutes the Cramps are gone, and the visits to the rest room every 5 minutes stop. Before I had this to take, I tended to end up in the ER within 2 days of the cramps starting and keeping me awake for 48-72 hours of trips to rest room every 5 minutes. GI Doc is not sure if it is IBS at all, but the fact that this med fixes it in 30 min instead of having to spend days in hospital anymore is a big bonus. I was prescribed 2 times a day, but found I only need it once the cramps start, and then they are controllable. Sometimes I will need it for a few days, sometimes it will be one pill then no more for a month."

nobody important January 25, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had had early morning diarrhea (no pain or discomfort) for about six months. MD recommended colonoscopy, which produced a diagnosis of microcolitis. I had already treated this with daily Imodium and was doing okay. After the colonoscopy I had horrible gas pains whenever I engaged in aerobic exercise and sometimes just eating would instigate them. I was given pepto-bismol 4X a day--stopped diarrhea, but not gas pains. Only heat pad or hot bath would do that. Then I was given dicyclomine and after a week the pain subsided. I still feel a knot of gas in LLQ, but it no longer hurts!"

Arleeda (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It immediately helps!!! I take about 20 min before I eat, never with an empty stomach"

JaWell (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Started on BENTYL about three weeks ago, the second day I was on it my IBS went away completely, I have had no IBS at all. After over twenty years of fighting IBS, I found a doctor that prescribed the right medication. "

newkidds (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine is not able to handle my issues fully, but so far out of the many I have taken including viberzi I have noticed that I can have good days on this medication. I still have pain and am in the bathroom a good portion of the day. [no I am not a drinker] But again this medication is so far the only one I have been able to have good days with. I take it twice daily at 10mg per pill. Without any other medication working yet I have stuck with this one for about a year."

Gaming guy (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "IBS-D, sometimes C... this medication is great for IBS-D. On numerous occasions I’ve been out to dinner and suddenly started experiencing the all-too-familiar cramping that always leads to terribly painful bowel spasms and the need to find a restroom, stat. I can take one Bentyl at that moment to ease the spasms, get through the rest of the dinner meeting, and make it to my home. A sort of pleasant “side effect” is that it seems that since the Bentyl stops the spasms and effectively makes me able to wait longer to use the restroom, my stool isn’t so loose when I do finally go. Also, there is so much less abdominal pain associated with a bowel movement. I would highly, highly recommend this medication! I’ve noticed no adverse effects."

Sarah0101010 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I take bentyl (dicyclomine ) 20mg as needed I am 64 years old and have had IBS since the 5th grade (failed school that year). I get severe lower abdominal cramping. It works great. 9/25/2017"

Mr Chitlin September 25, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm still waiting to see if it's Celiac disease or inflammatory IBS-D. After 3 weeks of constant diarrhea, dehydration and trip to ER tons of blood work all negative & stool sampes all negative and 16lb weight loss I got in with a GI doctor. I'm waiting back for my inflammatory test & celiac disease test but in the mean time my GI doctor put me on bentyl 20mg up to 4 a times day to help with the diarrhea which is the cause of the weightloss in only 3 weeks. It's worked wonders so far haven't had any diarrhea. I've only been on it 48hrs now. The only side effect I have noticed sometimes it makes my heart race a little for an hour. I have a follow-up with my GI in 3 weeks & hoping to come off of it and be back to eating normal, he thinks I had a viral that caused inflammatory IBS-D"

Better belly (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine works within 45 minutes and so far has always stopped my cramping, but sometimes after I take it I start to hurt in other places. Does this happen to anyone else? I'll feel some slight pain or pressure somewhere in the rib area, and then it goes away. I'll take this pain over IBS pain though"

Campbell g September 21, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medication gave me my life back. I can not get through the day with no cramping, no bathroom runs hoping to make it........I highly recommend you at least try this medication. Made a world of difference for me with absolutely no side effects. YES! THIS IS A GREAT RX FOR IBS!!"

DeannaWilson99 September 19, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "After the donation of a kidney, I have been plagued with a wide variety of non-specified gastrointestinal issues. The most pressing was a severe problem with vomiting and retching, once I started I couldn't stop. My abdominal pain was off the charts, and the only thing that would work at that point was a pain shot to quiet things down. Once I started taking the Bentyl, it's really changed my life for the better."

Sam in St. Paul (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 12, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've been on it for 3 years its great unless I'm constipated then forget it I still get pain but not as bad."

Mikamo September 4, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "A GI specialist gave me this stuff for intense IBS pain. It felt like a deadly poison was going through my body. I took 2 pills. The pain was overwhelming. It did produce a large bm the 2d day. I would rather die than take it again. The Dr. never warned me of the terrible pain that might occur. I will never take it again. I am a 77 yr old male. Thank god I've got a good primary physician who prescribed me hydrocodone which stops the unbearable gut pain. I don't care if it shortens my life by 8 months or 8 years due to side effects. I'm not going the route of 1 dr after another, one medicine after another-holistic, naturopath, yoga, etc. My next (and last)step is trying the FODMAP diet."

jerrygry September 4, 2017

For Noninfectious Colitis: "Have been diagnosed with Ulcerative colitis/Crohn's disease for just over a year now. Took dicyclomine from the very beginning. It seems to work pretty well getting rid of the abdominal pain. However, because I am on so many different medicines (10) I cannot say for sure which medicine helped with what or caused whichever side effect. I have experienced nausea, lack of appetite, drowsiness, dizziness, insomnia, dehydration, and severe headaches."

Allisondg (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 2, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Best meds ever for IBS with diarrhea."

black Jolie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 21, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "2011, I was admitted to ER after vomiting Blood. Performed an upper endoscopy (negative) and was discharged with antibiotics. 2014-2017, I could not function. Vomiting/nausea, diarrhea, severe constipation, body tremors, in tears due to abdominal pain, and many expensive midnight ER trips with my worried boyfriend. I performed a H. pylori breath test (positive). I took antibiotics, but I was still having all my symptoms. I was fired for calling out sick. Referred to a GI Specialist and diagnosed IBS-C. Been on Dicyclomine 2.5 months (20mg 3x), religiously follow Low FODMAP, and Miralax. I can function. Side effects: Drowsy, headaches, nightmares, bloating/cramps, gas, anxiety and mild nausea (Promethazine Rx). It's so worth it."

Alex138 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This stuff is a God send. I take it about 30 to 60 minutes before eating anything and it not only gives me a few pain free hours, but it also gives me a general relaxed feeling. *sidenote* that relaxed feeling is great when your stomach is really painful. BUT it does make you kind of on a high. Not like a drug high but more a chill relaxed high if that makes any sense. So BE CAREFUL if you need to drive or anything like that. Makes me high and tired but worth it for no stomach aches! Damn IBS!"

meeeee8529 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 13, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had been suffering from IBS-d and Coeliac Disease since the end of 2011. Just recently as in four weeks ago found out what was wrong with me. I have been taking dicyclomine for about a year now and changing up my diet has really helped. With the new gluten free diet and the dicyclomine, life has gone from sitting on the toilet to being able to enjoy life. However just recently I have started to get aniexty attacks, loss of focus and zoning out as well as unusual thoughts. It really scares me when these things happen. I wish there was an alternative type of medication I could use because I do not like my mental faculties to be foggy. All and all the medication helps with the cramps, bloating, and diarrhea."

What is going on in my head. (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2017