User Reviews for Dicyclomine

Also known as: Bemote, Bentyl, Bentyl Syrup, Byclomine, Di-Spaz, Dibent, Dicyclocot, Dilomine

Irritable Bowel Syndrome
7.9

Noninfectious Colitis
6.4

Summary of Dicyclomine reviews 7.8 176 reviews

Reviews for Dicyclomine

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Works relatively fast to stop my intestinal spasms. However I end-up feeling extremely drowsy like I had just taken an opioid painkiller. I much prefer Buscopan for my IBS symptoms."

Noremon (taken for less than 1 month) July 22, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I am a very tiny 104 lb 21 year old that’s been suffering from IBS-D post cholecystectomy. Now it’s been a year since I deal with trapped wind, intestinal pain & bloating, diarrhea. It is literally my ileum & descending colon that I feel spasming horrendously; I can only imagine it feels like labor. I have a love and hate relationship with bentyl. I’m an emergency bentyl user (read the potential long term use effects). This helps at least 90% of the time. And when it kicks in, I think, “that attack wasn’t that bad”. It stops the spasming and it decreases the pain; score 10 pain during drops to a 2 60 ish minutes later. 8/10 because of side effects. Mine include blurry vision and confusion. I had to leave work one time because I was just confused, blurred vision, and having an anxiety attack. Believe me. Stay at home for the few hours or take it at night. I honestly hope I helped someone because IBS sufferers need to support each other."

Ibssufferer (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 13, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had an infection called Clostridium Difficile in 2014. Ever since then my IBS has been worse than ever. This drug is a life saver for me. It works within minutes to help calm down the stomach pains. It helps immensely with gas pains. I love this drug. I have been on it since 2016 I had to have a stool transplant and I had the worst stomach pains ever after that for months. I take it as needed but lately I have had to take it more often due to an increase in IBS symptoms again. It does make me tired and causes dry mouth but other than that no side effects."

kamala1227 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Dicyclomine caused me to have severe stomach pain and I ended up in the ER. Worst stomach pain since I had food poisoning over 10 years ago. Would rate a zero if I could."

Tina (taken for less than 1 month) July 7, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was given this drug awhile ago as a doctor felt that I was experiencing IBS along with my GERD. I never used it cause I don't really like trying new drugs. Well about a week ago I either came down with some sort of bug with horrible stomach/intestinal cramps or a bad bout of IBS. I did not have diarrhea or vomiting but just bad cramps. I was desperate and couldn't even rest so I tried one of the 10 mg pills. I have to say within 45 minutes I felt SO much better and seems peak was about 2 hrs in. Was able to sleep as cramping and pain were gone! It does make you drowsy especially when first using it. That faded on day 3 but I was able to sleep anyway if I wanted because I was finally comfortable. TRY IT! And it's great because you can just use it as needed. I never needed more than 1 dose a day to keep things at bay but am able to take it 4 times a day."

MOMof2 (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I was diagnosed with microcolitis after a colonoscopy. Up until the colonoscopy I had taken loperamide for the daily early morning diarrhea, which worked ok. After colonoscopy I developed severe abdominal pain - Left lower quadrant (LLQ) pain, especially during aerobic exercise. GI doc prescribed dicyclomine (generic of Bentyl) 20 mg 3X day--worked wonders for pain! But when I tried going without loperamide, diarrhea came back. So now I take both and things are relatively under control, although not "normal.""

Arleeda (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 9, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Doctor put me on Bentyl for IBS-C. Within 40 minutes the excruciating pain was gone and I was able to rest. Bentyl is a life saver!"

AMYJ (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I've taken this medication infrequently for a few problems over the last 30 years. I've never taken this medication regularly, only PRN. 1. Cramps from gallbladder dysfunction. 20mg PRN 10/10 effective 2. Food intolerance (nausea, bloating etc). Although I didn't really expect it to work for this, I didn't have anything else handy on an overseas flight and I was surprised at how effective it was. I needed 20 mg once I figured it out I had been eating the wrong food. I was beyond grateful to not be stuck in the toilet vomiting all night. 8/10 for severe nausea 3. Low back pain and sciatica. Because there is severe disc degeneration, I'm not expecting it to work 100%, but dicyclomine has been great at helping ease the distress. 5mg 8/10 effective 4. Travel constipation 10mg 10/10 effective Side effects headache and drowsiness Female, 66 retired"

Pnut91 May 9, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It's getting to be at least once a week. Cramping just like being in labor! Running to bathroom and sometimes not making it. Never know when it will hit me..day or night. Lasts one hour to five hours. Now afraid to make any kind of plans. will it hit me?? Colonoscopy was fine."

Linda (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I just got this prescription last week for my horrible lower abdominal/pelvic cramps. It has taken the pain away, however, I can still feel the cramps coming on but not as severe. I don't have any side effects either."

Tal (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have IBS and IBD and this is the only thing that has worked for me. I have been on morphine and still have the stomach pains. It works within 30 mins. Side effects are sleepiness and some brain fog, but I don't care. I rather deal with that then waiting at the ER for hours doped up and with no relief. The ER prescribed it and I am truly grateful!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I took them for a week. They did not help at all. I have severe constipation, bloating, or stomach pain; worsening of diarrhea or other irritable bowel symptoms. I stopped taking them tonight. Ask the M.D. to prescribe another medication. The pain I feel right now, is excruciating."

EMB (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I went back to this due to side effects with another medication. Bentyl is cheap and works but the side effects make me dizzy and tired. I'll keep taking it because it't the only thing that works. Must take 2-4 times a day to not have cramping but def works for cramping like nothing else."

cheap but comes with a price (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Very effective, but the side effects can be unpleasant. I usually get a very dry mouth, a little nausea, and a mild headache. But I'll happily take that over excruciating cramps."

Sarammmmtia January 26, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I have had a "nervous stomach " my whole life and had my gall bladder out 10 years ago. Ever since I have had IBD-d. I finally found a Dr to diagnose me and get me on dicyclomine. What a godsend. Yes, I get drowsy but the alternative is being in pain and on the commode for days on end. (pun intended)"

mscherie January 25, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I tend to only need this once a month or so. When the cramps begin, I take one pill and with 30 minutes the Cramps are gone, and the visits to the rest room every 5 minutes stop. Before I had this to take, I tended to end up in the ER within 2 days of the cramps starting and keeping me awake for 48-72 hours of trips to rest room every 5 minutes. GI Doc is not sure if it is IBS at all, but the fact that this med fixes it in 30 min instead of having to spend days in hospital anymore is a big bonus. I was prescribed 2 times a day, but found I only need it once the cramps start, and then they are controllable. Sometimes I will need it for a few days, sometimes it will be one pill then no more for a month."

nobody important January 25, 2018

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I had had early morning diarrhea (no pain or discomfort) for about six months. MD recommended colonoscopy, which produced a diagnosis of microcolitis. I had already treated this with daily Imodium and was doing okay. After the colonoscopy I had horrible gas pains whenever I engaged in aerobic exercise and sometimes just eating would instigate them. I was given pepto-bismol 4X a day--stopped diarrhea, but not gas pains. Only heat pad or hot bath would do that. Then I was given dicyclomine and after a week the pain subsided. I still feel a knot of gas in LLQ, but it no longer hurts!"

Arleeda (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 17, 2018

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "It immediately helps!!! I take about 20 min before I eat, never with an empty stomach"

JaWell (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Started on BENTYL about three weeks ago, the second day I was on it my IBS went away completely, I have had no IBS at all. After over twenty years of fighting IBS, I found a doctor that prescribed the right medication. "

newkidds (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine is not able to handle my issues fully, but so far out of the many I have taken including viberzi I have noticed that I can have good days on this medication. I still have pain and am in the bathroom a good portion of the day. [no I am not a drinker] But again this medication is so far the only one I have been able to have good days with. I take it twice daily at 10mg per pill. Without any other medication working yet I have stuck with this one for about a year."

Gaming guy (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 4, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "IBS-D, sometimes C... this medication is great for IBS-D. On numerous occasions I’ve been out to dinner and suddenly started experiencing the all-too-familiar cramping that always leads to terribly painful bowel spasms and the need to find a restroom, stat. I can take one Bentyl at that moment to ease the spasms, get through the rest of the dinner meeting, and make it to my home. A sort of pleasant “side effect” is that it seems that since the Bentyl stops the spasms and effectively makes me able to wait longer to use the restroom, my stool isn’t so loose when I do finally go. Also, there is so much less abdominal pain associated with a bowel movement. I would highly, highly recommend this medication! I’ve noticed no adverse effects."

Sarah0101010 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I take bentyl (dicyclomine ) 20mg as needed I am 64 years old and have had IBS since the 5th grade (failed school that year). I get severe lower abdominal cramping. It works great. 9/25/2017"

Mr Chitlin September 25, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "I'm still waiting to see if it's Celiac disease or inflammatory IBS-D. After 3 weeks of constant diarrhea, dehydration and trip to ER tons of blood work all negative & stool sampes all negative and 16lb weight loss I got in with a GI doctor. I'm waiting back for my inflammatory test & celiac disease test but in the mean time my GI doctor put me on bentyl 20mg up to 4 a times day to help with the diarrhea which is the cause of the weightloss in only 3 weeks. It's worked wonders so far haven't had any diarrhea. I've only been on it 48hrs now. The only side effect I have noticed sometimes it makes my heart race a little for an hour. I have a follow-up with my GI in 3 weeks & hoping to come off of it and be back to eating normal, he thinks I had a viral that caused inflammatory IBS-D"

Better belly (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2017

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medicine works within 45 minutes and so far has always stopped my cramping, but sometimes after I take it I start to hurt in other places. Does this happen to anyone else? I'll feel some slight pain or pressure somewhere in the rib area, and then it goes away. I'll take this pain over IBS pain though"

Campbell g September 21, 2017

Bentyl (dicyclomine) for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "This medication gave me my life back. I can not get through the day with no cramping, no bathroom runs hoping to make it........I highly recommend you at least try this medication. Made a world of difference for me with absolutely no side effects. YES! THIS IS A GREAT RX FOR IBS!!"

DeannaWilson99 September 19, 2017