User Reviews for Pennsaid to treat Osteoarthritis

Pennsaid has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 36 ratings for the treatment of Osteoarthritis. 78% of those users who reviewed Pennsaid reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

Pennsaid Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 183 medications used in the treatment of Osteoarthritis.

Reviews for Pennsaid

Liz · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2021

“I was given samples of this for arthritis pain in my foot due to a previous injury. I used just a little bit of it each day to make sure I wasn’t allergic. I thought after a few days it was safe but then about 4 days later I broke out in this horrible rash on my foot. It itches, burns, I can’t sleep at night, and it’s gone from red, to purple, and now swollen and red with some boils. If you have any allergies please be careful with this medication. It’s been a week and my foot is still awful looking.”

Ski Bumb · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 21, 2021

“I had a bad accident while snow skiing. After 2 surgeries and 1.5 yrs of PT, they put my shoulder back together but still had severe daily pain. I was taking Percocet everyday to deal with the pain. I asked the doctor to try Pennsaid. In 5 minutes after application the pain was gone. 5 years later, I have not taken a pain pill since! I just use Pennsaid. I consider it a miracle drug. Side note... it took a lot of work from both myself and my doctor to get insurance to start paying for it!”

Aj · Taken for less than 1 month November 13, 2020

“I had chronic pain in my neck, from working minimum 10 hours on the computer. Couldn't even push when I went to the toilet. I had gravity do all the work. :( 3 years of every day pain. I had all the tests done (MRIs, CT scans), and all the treatments (physical therapy, acupuncture, massages, suction cups, muscle relaxers pills, anti inflammatory pills etc). the only thing that worked till now, were codeine pills. Until I found out about pensaid, yesterday! I can't believe it! I'm pain free since last night! I feel reborn! I was reading the other comments, about it costing $2000 dollars??!! That's insane. I bought it here in Greece for 13 euros. That's like 15 dollars.”

debcat53 August 3, 2010

“After taking meloxicam for my osteoarthritis in my knee, I found the meloxicam started giving me severe stomach pain. My doctor switched me to Pennsaid topical ointment. First, I found I was drowsy on this medication, but this side effect soon went away. The Pennsaid has taken away my knee pain, plus I have no stomach problems, because it is not ingested, but goes directly to the source of my pain. I recommend this medicine for those who cannot take oral NSAIDS.”

Danny Boy December 18, 2018

“By far this is the best topical solution I have ever used. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee (had surgery over 20 yrs ago for torn ligaments) and I have severe back issues (2 ruptured disks and degenerative disk disease). I use Pennsaid for both problems as needed. After application, the pain is gone or immensely diminished within 10 minutes. I am being completely honest. Unfortunately my insurance does not cover this drug and the cost is over $2500 for a 3.8 fl. oz. bottle! When I informed my doctor about this, he put me in contact with a mail order pharmacy . He wrote me a prescription and sent it to this pharmacy and I ended up getting this drug for only $10!! So for all of you who are frustrated with the ridiculous price, research online pharmacies or inform your doctor about the mail order option. I would post the name of the pharmacy that I use but I'm afraid of any legal repercussions that may result. Good luck and don't be fooled into paying full price!”

CommaHolly · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2016

“oh my gosh,,,,,,,,I have to admit, I had absolutely NO HOPE that a topical would work for my bone on bone osteoarthritis in my knees,,,,,,I've been in some pretty nasty pain, walking with a cane on some days, and unable to walk very far or stand even long enough to do dishes. I'm 51 years old, and I'm using a scooter at Disney World, because I simply CAN NOT walk to the GATE much less around the park,,,, Well, I'm not going to say that suddenly I can run a marathon, nor can I walk around Disney,,,,,,but the stiffness has loosened up, the swelling has gone down, and I can walk around my house without furniture walking,,,,,I can walk in the back yard to walk the dogs and I can stand to do dishes or fold a load of laundry,,,, 5 stars!”

NeNe1961 · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2016

“I have been using pennsaid topical for a week now on my neck (Facets in my cervical 2-7are narrowing and pinching nerves) ... Great results... Not having any pain.. It is calming down the nerves!!! What a relief!! The only side effect is a slight burning for about the first five minutes after applying... But then it subsides! This is a God send for me!!!”

Osteo stricken · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 2, 2016

“The first time my doctor suggested Voltaren cream. I have osteo in both knees, right ankle and my spine. After several tubes and no reduction of pain or swelling my doctor suggested Pennsaid . The difference was like day and night. Not only did it reduce the pain but the swelling in my ankle was also reduced. When I investigated both products I was shocked to find that only Pennsaid contains a delivery agent DMSO that Voltaren does not . So it seems the DMSO delivers directly into the joint while the Voltaren only stays on the skin. Bottom line I will never spend my money on anything else going forward ....Pennsaid works for me.”

Dee · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 28, 2020

“I received a few sample packets of Pennsaid from the dr. Used them sparingly and IT worked great for my knee pain. No pain. Loved the stuff. Got a script for a bottle of it. The real stuff. Didn’t work at all. Horrible for the huge price tag that came with it. Be careful because the generic version works better.”

NoNo · Taken for less than 1 month November 30, 2018

“I have been using this for a few weeks now and I can feel a difference. I work in an assembly plant so therefore I make the same movement all day long. It work on my shoulders and my wrist. People are saying it cost too much or some get it at a discounted price. I get mine absolutely free and shipped to my house all for free. My dr is the one who told me that she wasn’t even going to write a prescription and have me go to my local pharmacy since I would still pay full price. She uses a mail order pharmacy, she told me that it would cost as much as $10.00 but when the pharmacy called to verify all information they said it’s free!! So you all need to talk to your drs about a mail order pharmacy! My doc saved me tons of money!”

Julie Kane · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 23, 2012

“My Doctor gave me some samples last year. It did work on my knees and I also used it on my lower back. I wish I had gotten a prescription for it because it gave me relief from oral medicines for a couple of days. ”

Danny · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2019

“This worked to completely take away pain from a bone spur in my right foot in less than two weeks. Haven't needed it again since the pain went away. I have used it on my knees and it helped for that too. I'm about to try it on my sprained ankle hoping it works. I got this for a discount $10 mailed to my home. Prescribed by a Podiatrist”

Regretful · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2020

“Went to a walk in Orthopedic clinic and given two packets of Pennsaid 2% for an aching Achilles. Attending physician wrote script and sent it to their recommended pharmacy. Used the two sample packets and a rash broke out on my ankle along with skin pain. Seven days after my initial visit the Pennsaid arrived by mail. Never used it and my prescription insurance paid $2,297.00 (3.8 fl oz). You wonder big Pharma is loathe by general public?”

brok · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 1, 2015

“Have been using Pennsaid for over eight years but strictly on an as needed basis (2-3) times a week. Very effective for knees and hips (almost instant relief). Only side effect is an occasional oral off taste.”

Blueyes7 · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2019

“For the first several days that I used Pennsaid I had significant pain relief in my knee. However, some pain has returned even with continued use. I hope that I will eventually feel better. So glad that my doctor was able to help me get this prescription at a discount through a pharmaceutical discount provider! Saved $$$$”

Kat · Taken for less than 1 month May 3, 2018

“I can't take NSAIDs because I get extremely sick to my stomach when I do (I was diagnosed with gastritis) and my Orthopedic doctor gave me a few samples of PENNSAID and I am impressed. Inside one packet of 2% gel on my knee and the swelling went down almost immediately, and the pain was completely gone for almost 8 hours. I have many joint issues. I have worked jn the service industry for over 20 years, and I love what this drug can do. Unfortunately, I cant afford it ($1000/ month?), and of course my insurance won't cover it. Its really a shame because I think this is a breakthrough kind of treatment for pain. If drugs like this were more available, maybe there wouldn't be such an opiate epidemic in the U.S. Lives would be saved in the long run, and less resources would be used on patients ODing.”

Surfer Dude · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

“If you have ever torn a calf muscle or Achilles you know how swollen and painful it is. The Pennsaid arrived today and it began to work almost immediately. The pain went from an 8 to a 3 I am surprised to say I feel a bit buzzed from it.”

Betsy · Taken for less than 1 month May 9, 2018

“I've got bad arthritis. I had bilateral knee replacement done 3 yrs ago, my right shoulder rebuilt, and right hand surgery, all within the past 5 years. I've taken so many Advil a day to combat the misery, along with Manuka honey and cinnamon trying to work through the pain and have a joy filled life, but no lie, it's really, REALLY hard some days! I found an unopened box of Pennsaid. I thought I had nothing to lose and began using it. I Am Stunned!! It has taken the burning waves of severe pain out of both hips..(THAT IS HUGE FOR ME!!!)..and has really helped my hands be able to work. It has relieved the residual pain I have in both knees and even the pain of swollen joints in my feet! I'm so happy and pleasantly surprised as I was a total skeptic. I have no insurance, BUT we do have Good RX and I found it for about $80.00!!!!! YAY!!!!! I'm so happy to have a life again....it's been awhile!!”

Oceangirl June 4, 2019

“I loved this Pennsaid cream. It helped me along with my cortisone shots but I developed a itchy rash from it and had to get a cream to take the rash away. It really is depressing because this stuff was really helping me but I am allergy to something in it.”

Mommy Doo · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 29, 2016

“I love this medication. I wasmin pain for 7 months with no sign of relief. My doctor gave me samples and I could not believe the instant relief I got from this medication. So far I'm not experiencing any side effects and I hope it continues to be this way.”

nandksmom · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 8, 2017

“I have osteoarthritis in my right knee, and I run. I also get IT band pain. So sometimes, I am so stiff and achy either from running, or just because. I get super stiff behind my knee, and it makes it hard to even walk, or straighten my leg all the way. I take ibuprofen, I ice it...and that helps some. I woke up this morning with it being extremely stiff behind my knee. I applied Pennsaid all over the back and front of my knee. No kidding - within 5 minutes, most of that stiffness is GONE. I am in shock. And if you have knee pain, you know how debilitating it can feel. This stuff is INSANE - in a good way!! I'm so glad I have it. I literally can't believe how much it helped me. And no, I don't work for a pharmaceutical company.”

Maximk November 12, 2016

“I'm 30 yo male, 6 months ago a had surgery on broken navicular (arch of foot) ever since I've had occasional swelling and pain towards the end of the day, I'm very active work outdoors. I take Movic as needed but requested something along the line of a cream for on site relief from my Dr, he gave me some Pennsaid samples. I will be requesting a prescription asap! I get relief in 10 minutes of application ! Hope this helps someone”

Leif · Taken for less than 1 month December 4, 2019

“The best I have found unbelievable good 2% but could only use for 2 days testing since the full cost for my disability is with coupon still $2600 a month . So sad can not afford this that finally worked”

Joey Myla March 27, 2017

“I did physical therapy, icing, resting, every technique to try to stop the pain in my knee. I have osteoarthritis as well. This medication was the only thing that worked and stopped the pain in my knee. I am so happy my doctor prescribed this drug for me.”

Brana · Taken for less than 1 month September 20, 2018

“I had replacements in both knees , but I still have a pain worst then before surgery. Now I have hip, ankles, hands joins problem. Doctor prescribed PENNSAID, but I don't have insurance and can't afford pay so much money. It is a ridiculous price”

Arty B · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2018

“I had hip replacement six years ago and recently developed serious pain in my replaced hip where I couldn't sleep. Doctor took x rays of the replaced hip and the hip was perfect. He probed the pain area and I went through the roof. He recommended painsaid to control inflammation, Doc felt my exercise regime causes the inflammation. I got instant relief and I would recommend it.”

Mommiedearest11 July 5, 2017

“I'm allergic to Ibuprofen, Aspirin, and Naproxen. My doctor knew this. He insisted that this stuff would be fine on me. He put a dab on my hand and said that since there wasn't a rash I was fine. I put it in the places he told me to and the. I got very very very sick. Lethargic almost. It was awful. Major major major stomach cramps and pain. My throat started to close up. It was awful. Do not take this if you are allergic to Ibuprofen. You'll regret it. Some doctors truly are idiots.”

gunnwiley · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2017

“Many here are saying that the price is about 2K. I don't know if every state has this but it has changed my life. Target near me sells it for $98.00 Pennsaid has helped my bad knees. I would not say it took all of my pain away but it helped lower it. I like that it glides on the skin. i like that you can re apply.”

Learn more about Osteoarthritis