Generic name: DICLOFENAC SODIUM 20mg in 1g
Dosage form: topical solution
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
For relief of the pain of osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee(s), the recommended dose is 40 mg of diclofenac sodium (2 pump actuations) on each painful knee, 2 times a day.
The pump must be primed before first use. Instruct patients to fully depress the pump mechanism (actuation) 4 times while holding the bottle in an upright position. This portion should be discarded to ensure proper priming of the pump. No further priming of the bottle should be required.
After the priming procedure, PENNSAID is properly dispensed by completely depressing the pump 2 times to achieve the prescribed dosage for one knee. Deliver the product directly into the palm of the hand and then apply evenly around front, back, and sides of the knee.
Apply PENNSAID to clean, dry skin.
Application of PENNSAID in an amount exceeding or less than the recommended dose has not been studied and is therefore not recommended.
- Avoid showering/bathing for at least 30 minutes after the application of PENNSAID to the treated knee.
- Wash and dry hands after use.
- Do not apply PENNSAID to open wounds.
- Avoid contact of PENNSAID with eyes and mucous membranes.
- Avoid wearing clothing over the PENNSAID-treated knee(s) until the treated knee is dry.
- Protect the treated knee(s) from natural and artificial sunlight.
- PENNSAID was not evaluated under the conditions of heat application, occlusive dressings overlay, or exercise; therefore, concurrent use of PENNSAID under these conditions is not recommended.
- Wait until the treated area is dry before applying sunscreen, insect repellant, lotion, moisturizer, cosmetics, or other topical medication to the same knee you have just treated with PENNSAID.
- Do not use combination therapy with PENNSAID and an oral NSAID unless the benefit outweighs the risk and conduct periodic laboratory evaluations.
More about Pennsaid (diclofenac topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 22 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical non-steroidal anti-inflammatories