Generic name: DICLOFENAC SODIUM 15mg in 1g
Dosage form: topical solution
Medically reviewed on December 28, 2017.
General Dosing Instructions
Use the lowest effective dosage for the shortest duration consistent with individual patient treatment goals [see Warnings and Precautions (5.2)]
For the relief of the signs and symptoms of osteoarthritis of the knee(s), the recommended dose is 40 drops per knee, 4 times a day.
Apply PENNSAID to clean, dry skin.
To avoid spillage, dispense PENNSAID 10 drops at a time either directly onto the knee or first into the hand and then onto the knee. Spread PENNSAID evenly around front, back and sides of the knee. Repeat this procedure until 40 drops have been applied and the knee is completely covered with solution.
To treat the other knee, if symptomatic, repeat the procedure.
Application of PENNSAID in an amount exceeding or less than the recommended dose has not been studied and is therefore not recommended.
- Avoid showering/bathing for at least 30 minutes after the application of PENNSAID to the treated knee.
- Wash and dry hands after use.
- Do not apply PENNSAID to open wounds.
- Avoid contact of PENNSAID with eyes and mucous membranes.
- Do not apply external heat and/or occlusive dressings to treated knees.
- Avoid wearing clothing over the PENNSAID-treated knee(s) until the treated knee is dry.
- Protect the treated knee(s) from natural or artificial sunlight
- Wait until the treated area is dry before applying sunscreen, insect repellant, lotion, moisturizer, cosmetics, or other topical medication to the same knee you have just treated with PENNSAID.
Until the treated knee(s) is completely dry, avoid skin-to-skin contact between other people and the treated knee(s).
- Do not use combination therapy with PENNSAID and an oral NSAID unless the benefit outweighs the risk and conduct periodic laboratory evaluations.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Pennsaid (diclofenac topical)
- Pennsaid Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 29 Reviews
- Drug class: topical non-steroidal anti-inflammatories