User Reviews for Valium

Learn more about Valium.

Valium Rating Summary

9.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 30 medications used in the treatment of Temporomandibular Joint Disorder.

Reviews for Valium to treat Temporomandibular Joint Disorder

"TMJ causes me to wake up w/ a headache every single morning from grinding my teeth. My primary care had prescribed Ambien because of my sleep issues (inability to get to sleep, tinnitus) but when I began treatment for TMJ I was told that Ambien promotes bruxism (grinding the teeth and clenching the jaw). At least I'm sleeping. So my TMJ Dr prescribed valium to help me get to sleep and keep me from grinding (hopefully during the night). I have never had much luck w/ low doses of valium...given for MRI's, etc....to get me to the point of relaxation I have to take more than I am comfortable w/ due to the possibility of addiction....but what do you do? I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't. I still wake up w/ a headache though not as severe and not every day, just most days."

3poodles March 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have very serious flare ups of TMJD from time to time. I was originally diagnosed years ago when it was chronic. These days when I wake up with a really bad flare up I can't even close my jaw the muscles are so inflamed. I cannot get my teeth to meet up on that side it's so bad. A small amount of Valium (2.5mg) combined with 20 min of jaw relaxation exercises and positioning exercises help with the pain.... like really help a lot. I still won't be able to close my jaw for a day or two but the pain reduces significantly. A word of warning, use Valium only when absolutely needed and I've found that less is more. Taking it daily or in higher doses and you will lose its value due to tolerance. It's a tool in the toolbox not a magic fix."

JustMeOfMe March 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"took valium for 8 plus years following severe losses and anxiety/ptsd. 4 yrs ago dental procedures caused extreme face pain, called symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia-shooting nerve pain all the time, and sprained face. so I dont eat cuz it hurts during and after, no life. Psych md says learn "mindfulness" not meds. but no drug but valium has virtually stopped pain. problem: trigeminal neuralgia symptoms are horrendous-not muscle skeletal. specialist oral maxillofacial had given klonopin.stiil pain. only valium worked wonders but when wears off, huge pain returns. what is maximum dosage for special cases? i want my life back."

skitsy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Starting taking Valium for nightmares. Yes, it stopped the nightmares, but the next morning was the first time I didn't wake up with a headache in 36 years. I clench my teeth at night, so they pulled ALL my top teeth out and all but 9 bottom teeth out 12 years ago. I still woke up with a headache every day. Now, to learn that all I needed was a little Valium for 36 years! I have 9 teeth left! The Valium works wonders, take my word for it."

4764lisa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 6, 2013

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine has helped my jaw to relax, relieving a lot of the pain. More Doctors should be aware of TMJ and its effects!"

Anonymous October 5, 2010

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had no idea I had TMJ but actually thought I was getting wisdom teeth because of the pain. I went to a dentist and he gave me Valium and Percocet. He told me to go to my doctor and have them prescribe more as he could not. My doctor thought I was crazy and drug seeking so I could not get anything and still suffering from TMJ. The Valium was very helpful for TMJ, more than anything else I have tried or the doctor has given me instead of Valium."

Anonymous July 5, 2010

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"When my dentist first prescribed Valium for my TMJ, I was quite surprised. I had no idea of the correlation of TMJ and Valium. In my case, the Valium works like a charm, I just take as needed when I feel my muscles tightening on me (which will inevitably lead to a TMJ-migraine). The only downfall is that I have to wait until night to take it because it completely wipes me out into dreamland."

Anonymous May 2, 2010

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It really helped me. Recommend it to anyone."

dead man June 3, 2009