User Reviews for Valium

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Valium.

Valium Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 47 medications used in the treatment of Muscle Spasm.

Reviews for Valium to treat Muscle Spasm

"I have CP on my right side and down my back along with scoliosis and a bad pars defect for the pain and spasms I take methadone and diclofenac for the pain lyrica for the neuropathy and Valium soma and cannabis for the spasms. I’ve been on the Valium the longest. It’s a double edge sword in that I use it for anxiety and spasms. Before it I was on all the other standard benzodiazepines. Pound for pound it is the safest benzo to be on. It lasts the longest in ur system and self tapers meaning that withdrawal from it are easier than say Xanax or klonipin. I’ve been on Valium for almost 10 years and it has helped tremendously. With it I can get out of bed every day and have quality of life. Recently I switched from generic to name brand"

Kaiser soze (taken for 10 years or more) December 3, 2017

"I was put on Valium 5 mg. ( generic Diazepam) twice daily for 2 reasons. Severe muscle spasms, and anxiety. It works well for sleeping, and I do not wake up feeling hung over like I was on Robaxin. I am a Nurse's Aide and Valium can be highly addictive, so I only take it as needed when spasms and anxiety are bad."

Montysd (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 3, 2017

"I take 5mg as needed at bedtime. I have severe muscle spasms, shoulder, and neck pain. I use aleve, advil, and diclofenac and still have pain. I was waking up with terrible tension headaches before using this. I only take it when I feel the tension at night. Regarding other comments on addiction - I have taken benzos for YEARS (on/off and never daily) and I have never become addicted. If taken only as needed, it's a great drug."

SunflowerRN (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2017

"You know perfectly well this drug is HELL and the withdrawal of it is obscene if you even make it. How DARE Doctors not let patients know this up front. It is criminal. For years this withdrawal issue has been known and HIDDEN from patients and even doctors. It has ruined my life and many others. MILLIONS of others. SPEAK UP."

maryjuneopper August 4, 2017

"My new GP has been recommending Valium for over a year for chronic mid-back/facet joint paint and intermittent neck pain (bad disks from C3-C5) and sciatica/torn labrum at right hip, but I resisted her recommendation. The chronic back pain flares every night, and often wakes me up and forces me out of bed. It takes several hours for the pain to recede every morning, which is demoralizing. Three nights ago I started taking 5 mg of valium at bedtime, and each morning I've awakened with less and less pain so that I'm hardly taking any pain medication during the day. Fingers crossed that I can continue to take this dose at bedtime - the other testimonials on this website are giving me hope that this might be the case!! Hallelujah!"

CA Mom April 4, 2017

"Silver bullet for lumbar muscular spasm. 5mg at bedtime."

Jésus im Edimbourgo March 2, 2017

"Valium has helped my spasms in my back better than any other muscle relaxers. I have been taken it 10+ years and after that long of use I really never get the sedation that I did when I started taking it. I take 10mg 3 times daily and have not found anything yet that works well for me."

rodney58 (taken for 10 years or more) January 3, 2017

"I suffer from 'restless leg syndrome' and 5 or 10 mgs of diazapam when I go to bed really helps. I suffer it about 5 times a year and it lasts a week or 2."

Mattoko October 23, 2016

"This is ny preferred muscle relaxer when I deal with sciatica flare ups. Was prescribed flexiril once and it did nothing for me in 4 days. Asked the doctor to switch me to this and she gave me a 6 day predisone pack and halfway through 6 days of that and the valium and I am starting to feel way better."

Shughart (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2016

"During my cancer treatment, valium was prescribed to me for muscles spasms. It only took about 10 minutes to start working, it has done the job very well for me. I've been able to do my physical therapy with minimal pain , and soon hope to be pain-free!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"Valium works for me I have a panic disorder and I was taking Ativan (Lorazepam) in the US. since 2004. And my psychiatrist changed it to Diazepam) 10 mg sometimes 5mg since I have lived in Manila,Philippines. I have to wean off Lorazepam for awhile since you can't just stop Lorazepam right away and there is no Lorazepam here in Manila. Diazepam is the answer so I have switch to it. It works really well.."

Rdsn January 14, 2016

"Relax nicely, act better than cyclobenzaprine"

Woturumogaloya (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2016

"My first choice for muscle spams"

Anonymous December 7, 2015

"The med does work very well. Side effects make it unbearable. I'm quitting the use of this product."

Spasms & Spasticity (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 9, 2015

"I have a terminal illness, kidney failure. the times that I've needed to calm down, easy worry, and calm my tight muscles-valium is the solve. I've been taking it for almost 4 years, without additiction or compulsion to "have to have it." When my back is against the wall with all my medical situations, this drug has provided for my lifestyle very well. thanks to all for sharing honestly on this site."

wolf mistress (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 10, 2015

"Over all good"

zania February 14, 2015

"This medication works as intended with minimal side effects. Relieves my muscle spasms and takes away the nervousness and bad attitude caused by back pain (not back ache). I take Percocet with Valium. "

Coon dog January 22, 2015

"I suffer from lower back pain. I had a back fusion in November 2013 about 6 months ago I started having really bad back spasms around the area they did the fusion which was my L-5/S-1. They had me on Flexeril but did not help they tried the Valium and it works. I do not take it every day only when I have the spasms between that and the Percocet it is the only thing that works. But I only take them as needed."

USAF Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2014

"My muscle spasms in my spine were caused by injury. They have gotten worse with age. BUT, I had Doctors who listened. I cannot take "pain" pills or even NSAIDS. And because of the injury to my head, aspirin in large doses. Valium was prescribed by three Neurologists-but in low doses. The reviews I have read that are negative to Valium have the patients taking doses WAAAY to high. They are creating zombies. I take 6 Mg. a DAY--and it works and I have live with this spine pain--on a cane--for many years. They cannot "cure" it, but Valium has made it possible for me to stay out of a wheelchair. The Doctors who overprescribe are CREATING a problem for the patient. It is a very effective medication, cheap and very mild side effects."

laverdad (taken for 10 years or more) November 25, 2014

"I have fibromyalgia and a undiagnosed connective tissue disorder and this medicine has helped me with spasms and pain as well as trigger points reduction. Currently using it for a anxiety med as well this medicine has helped with All of the above at the same time taking the place of numerous medications. I feel this should be used as substitute for multiple meds to reduce the amount of potential interactions and unnecessary additional medications."

Lana050513 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2014

"Great for muscle spasms"

sid owen February 5, 2014

"Very helpful with back injury & muscle spasms. No side effects that I'm aware of. My condition is severe, without it and other meds I still have restless poor sleep due to severe pain & spasms but I barely have no sleep or relief without it."

renee croft November 15, 2013

"Have taken this with my other medicines prescribed. It actually works and if taken for a long time you need not just stop, you have to be weaned off."

KatRL31 (taken for 10 years or more) August 8, 2013

"It really helps with my chronic pain I can walk on the treadmill with no hands for 40 min. I was taking it for something else but notice on the treadmill my bad hand just relaxed and let go. "

frogtoad (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 18, 2013

"It gives me rapid relief of my muscle spasms starting within 10 minutes. It's the only 'as needed' medication I know of, whereas the others I've been prescribed are 'take at scheduled times' meaning they have slow bioavailability and one may be taking unneccessary doses."

InSoMuchPain January 26, 2013