User Reviews for Valium

Learn more about Valium.

Valium Rating Summary

8.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 189 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Valium to treat Anxiety

"Even before I got fired valium kept me calm and stress free. You don't have to take to many for them to work. You can skip days and still feel the same affect."

Just got fired (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

"I've been on valium for about 6 months now and have severe social anxiety and separation anxiety. But it definitely helps. Allows me to not feel as claustrophobic and not to get as shaky or frozen in anxiety producing situations. If I have an anxiety attack or feel like I'm going to have one then I will take a valium and it helps me get through the day."

Melody m-c August 14, 2016

"I can't eat or be around a lot of people with out it or zannex. Zannex is good but doesn't last as long. My Mom even said while I was on diazepam, it's good to see a smile on your face:-)! It may may make you feel kind of goofy for a couple days but after that it just helps. The sedation subsides as well. A very tolerable medication that really does help. Trust me!"

Austin j (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2016

"I am a newbie to Valium. Just took my first dose today, 10 mg. The doctor prescribed it for the acute anxiety attacks I have once in a while. I have generalized anxiety disorder mixed with bipolar disorder. I take Pristiq for the anxiety and it has helped but it doesn't cover everything. When I'm anxious I cannot go outside and become bedridden. I am also on 70mg of Vyvanse for ADD and it took the doctor some time to be convinced of the benefits of taking a benzo. You know, the whole upper/downer concern. I took my Valium in the evening when the Vyvanse was wearing off. It worked wonders. It kicked in 15 minutes upon taking it. the only side effect is that I feel a little wobbly when standing. But the fact that I am calm makes up for it"

Tmangione (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2016

"Date: 07-08-2016...Re Valium: I have been taking Valium for the past three years as I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I very seldom take Valium. Like, 4 mg a week or 4 mg twice a week or I can go a month without taking it. It is very subtle, it will start working after 20 minutes which has been my experience. Valium does melt my anxiety and panicky feelings away even at 4 mg. After taking it, I would feel like my old self. I tried to score it by 2 mg; however, it is not effective. I think those who try it the first time should go 4 mg or 5 mg. I am also taking an SSRI for my anxiety condition. SSRI is not perfect. Some days are tough so I tough it out by not taking a Valium. If you don't abuse it, you can take it for life."

Be Strong July 8, 2016

"I've tried all the benzos to treat my panic attacks, and this one I chose to settle on. It's the most mild on my system. The effects are subtle, but they successfully address the anxiety without making me too tired. I try not too take more than 2 10mg pills per week. I also take 200mg Lamictal and 20mg Prozac, which lessened the instances of panic."

bobby1977 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 17, 2016

"I have a very positive experience with Valium. I'm taking it 8 years now, only as needed. This medication allows my to relax and socialize. But..."God over everything" is my motto."

Sweeteamint (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2016

"My doctor will not prescribe medicine for my panic attacks. I have depression and when I have a panic attack have trouble breathing. Doctors will not prescribe valium for these attacks because he says they are addictive. This is crazy. I am not a drug addict and need something to help me thru these attacks. What to do. Maybe a little lead to the head would take care of these attacks."

Puttintain May 14, 2016

"I current take this medication to stay calm. I have bad anxiety due to some ptsd related issues. I've tried em all from Ativan-Xanax, and this medication works well. I currently take a generic brand. The brand is TEVA. I did not like the Mylan brand, for it was chalky and was weak. TEVA is a great generic Valium and it helps very well for people struggling from anxiety disorder. I hope this helps somebody."

TLed47 March 6, 2016

"Used for 17yrs, worked well at first but needed increased doses as I became tolerant,held the same dose for past 7 yrs then suddenly became acutely anxious and agoraphobic dose was increased again but only result was awful unsteadiness on my feet. Finally was told that some people get withdrawal symptoms even whilst taking the same dose and it seems that is the problem I have,never been this ill in my life and now i face having to taper off it which scares me, my experience and opinion is it was fine short term but long term caused me more problems than it ever solved."

Mel77007 February 23, 2016

"Increased quality of my life after trying several antidepressants (did nothing helpful at all!). Side effects made matters worse despite doing nothing for my chronic anxiety due to bouts of cancer."

Johnny Jo February 18, 2016

"I love this medication and it frustrates me that it is shunned upon so heavily by most doctors and mental health practitioners. Its true the withdrawals can be incredibly bad but if not abused, this medication is a god send for those with anxiety. I have strong mood issues and while I try to meditate / exercise / eat small regular meals / keep busy and be active etc. which helps most days, sometimes it just doesn't cut it when I'm having a extreme anxiety and just need to relax. I was prescribed 5mg for travel (panic attacks flying) but I cut that in 1/4 and just take 1.25mg occasionally here and there when I need it. That's all you need and I find it does the job amazingly."

186MKR February 7, 2016

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had pain in my stomach no one could diagnose for three months. I was put on SSRI that made me worse an I lost 35 pounds with no appetite. Pain one day released and I became extremely anxious . by taking a small dose of Valium in the am and pm I am so much better also was given Dr Claire Weeks book which helped. I never thought I would recover hang in there."

Jeri jo January 17, 2016

"I was given this for GAD, 5mg twice daily. It works great for anxiety and for sleep. I'm authorized 15mg daily but normally I take 10 as described above. Before this I tried lie 20 different medications and they all gave me several side effects until the Doc gave me this one. Mild muscle relaxer which I also need, god for sleep and awake on day time when need to be awake and alert. Sure, if I lay back on day time after taking the pill I can easily take a nice nap. ;-)"

Papote55 January 13, 2016

"I have been on diazepam long term, started because of PTSD. It is a mild sedative if I'm relaxing I'll get tired, if I'm working I don't get tired I just feel no negative feelings. It really is a chill pill. I am in construction field now and no issues and if I take one before going to bed my back pain soothes (Valium is mild muscle relaxer) and I always seem to have pleasant dreams. Never had a bad dream since on Valium, but at the same time it isn't luxurious or fantasy dreams either. It has been a miracle drug for me. I do not like how doctors now like to avoid benzos. Valium is a great medicine. I take 30mg per day generic brand. Hope this helps someone."

Nellbear December 11, 2015

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have tried a lot of different anti- anxiety meds and Valium is the only one that actually works for me and I don't get nasty side effects with."

Bree85 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 3, 2015

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"i've tried everything for panic attacks and depersonalization so far. i don't like ssri's they make me feel like a zombie. i don't really have any side effects which is very rare as i'm sensetive to a lot of drugs/food anything you name it. I do find sometimes the day after i'm still tired and a bit depressed. I have 4mg+ if i'm having a panic attack it seems to help quite a lot. i take 2mg if i'm going to a party or a new place and take more if i need to. i'm going to try propanolol next i heard it's great too."

khamilton133 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2015

"I have had very bad anxiety since I was in my teens. Tried all sorts of other tablets nothing worked for me. I couldn't leave the house, no girlfriends. Then I was put on valium (diazepam). I take 10mg in the morning and 10mg at night and have done for 24 years. Changed my life. Got a great job, married, 2 kids, never took more than I was given. The doctor's tried to get me off it, I tried to come off it but went back into my head,fear off going to work, fear off going out. So went back on diazepam and was able to work, be a husband, Father. This drug saved my life. It makes me so mad because off dope heads selling it and given it a bad name. The only thing is make sure you stick to your dose, and never just stop taken it."

Anonymous October 19, 2015

178 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I took Valium for nearly 20 yrs for anxiety and functioned just great. My Dr retired and I had to find another. He is weening me off, now down to 2.5mg twice a day. I am miserable ! I'm stuck in my home, can't sleep, and my heart and stomach are going wild. I don't know how much more of this I can stand ! I feel I'm going to have a heart attack, I've lost so much weight I look terrible. And my Dr doesn't seem to notice or even care. He says he cannot be writing for it. I am not a dope head. I am a 53 yr old grandma who needs help. My children worry about me all the time. What is a person to do ?? Go to the street ?? I don't know that kinda life and don't want to. I can't afford a psychiatrist, just a Dr that cares !"

anxiety 101 (taken for 10 years or more) October 14, 2015

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I am male age 65 years old. My nurse practitioner is trying to wean me off Valium after taking it ( 5 mgs) since I was 23..that's 43 years. It has been doing it's job for me. It gave me back my life. I have extreme anxiety disorders. My original physician gave me no hassle. He died, and I had to get a new Doctor. Things were fine until this past year when out of the blue she recommended me getting off the drug. I never abused it, but she is adamant about it. So, I am trying..truly am. It's not going too well. I am wondering if I should find a new Dr. and take my records there. I think my age has something to do with it, but getting off it is almost a nightmare. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I really would like some feedback from others."

Drewadam September 28, 2015

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I don't like medication in general but this one got me thru work ,divorced single parent of 2 children. No side affects, very qualified professional work. Then I became wheelchair disabled on the job, I was ripped off by family of 96,000 dollars during a 2yr hospitalization. With corticosteroids I resumed the 5mg valium which helped. For me I only need 1 a day although prescribed 4, so they last me 6 mos to a year. IM LUCKY for I don't like to feel dopey just normal. If I've gotten into an insomnia state for a stressful situation with my autoimmune condition is the only time I'd taken 2 to sleep if tylenol pm didn't work. "

Calm Dee (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 26, 2015

"I'm 21 years old and have terrible Social Anxiety, Hypochondria, GAD, and Night Terrors. I've tried Xanax, Klonopin, and Ativan for my anxiety. Xanax didn't last long enough, Klonopin gave me moodiness, and Ativan did nothing. My doctor gives me Diazepam (Valium) 5 mg/four times a day and it's a MIRACLE. I can't tell you how tremendously Valium has improved my life. I'm constantly mellow now, can think straight, and sleep restfully at night. The effects also last all day and keep me anxiety-free. Valium has definitely given me my life back!"

AtPeaceNow (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 23, 2015

140 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My disclaimer is: Valium is highly effective in treating stress and anxiety reactions. It has a wide therapeutic index. It is sometimes overly affective thus why people abuse it. If you do; I can promise the effects will be life damaging. When taken responsibly (usually a few times a week as needed) it is safe & a godsend for those crippled with anxiety. I had no side effects."

Alexander-X (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 23, 2015

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've suffered from debilitating headaches always beginning in my lower neck from tension. Often these headaches about twice a month would morph into full blown migraines lasting 1 to 2 days. 5mg of Valium relaxes my neck muscles with an aspirin and I'm good to go and have my life back. The migraine meds caused terrible side effects."

Busy Granny August 3, 2015

"My experience with this drug has been overwhelmingly positive. I suffer from panic attacks, as well as agoraphobia, and despite having been on Valium for many years now, it has retained its efficacy and it has greatly enhance the quality of my life. Frankly, I do not know what I would do without it. Yes, yes, yes, I am all too well aware of the numerous warnings and tales of woe which have accompanied usage of this drug by other individuals less fortunate than myself, but I can only speak to what this drug has done for MY life. I am now 51 years old, and have taken this drug on and off for most of my adult life, starting when I was 18 years old. I become angry when I read proposals to limit prescription of this drug to psychiatrists...."

philipcfromnyc01 August 2, 2015

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next