User Reviews for Valium to treat Anxiety

Valium has an average rating of 8.8 out of 10 from a total of 162 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety. 87% of those users who reviewed Valium reported a positive effect, while 7% reported a negative effect.

Valium Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 141 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Valium

X Anon · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

“Before I got my wisdom teeth removed, the surgeon prescribed me Valium, so that I’d be relaxed during the procedure. Instead of making me relaxed, it made me extremely anxious and upset, to the point where I could not stop crying despite not being worried at all before taking the Valium. They also gave me laughing gas, which did not help. I was awake and able to remember all of the surgery, though I did blank out for a couple of seconds when they gave me Benadryl through an IV after removing the first 3 teeth. After receiving the Benadryl I started to feel calm again. But being able to remember the entire procedure is not a fun memory.”

Donna December 15, 2020

“Due to many life events over 25 years, I live with PTSD & debilitating anxiety at unexpected intervals. Was tried on anti-depressant medication with horrible side-effects & not much of a primary effect. What has proven very effective is a low dose of Valium only when needed along with psychological support, exercise & a healthy diet. Valium turned my life around, is by script only & not taken daily. Even just knowing it is there as needed removes some anxiety without needing to take it. Young, inexperienced Dr's are less likely to prescribe it. Wise & worldly Dr's will monitor the dosage & regularity of scripts as well as making Valium just one part of a holistic treatment in the short term. At times I could not leave my condo yet with a broad & experienced approach to PTSD & severe anxiety my life, sleep, social interaction & personal discipline has normalised for the better. It is a gentle drug, unlike other drugs in its family that are stronger & highly addictive.”

Deedle · Taken for 2 to 5 years October 14, 2020

“I use Valium for anxiety, very low dose half a pill, only when needed. 15 Valium tablets last me 3 months on average as I only take them for panic attacks. I’m not addicted. When Valium is used correctly your tolerance level stays the same and you have no side effects here, because I don’t take them daily ...”

shapel · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2020

“Valium is a drug that can be a life saver or destroyer. This drug for me helps me as long as I have it under control. I find myself always having to be wary of my dosage. This allows me to pretty much go about my normal life, allows me to function, think and gives me the motivation and willingness to do the things I need to do. When on these and under control I find a lot of aspects of my life all coming together where as without it I feel helpless. Too much valium daily however leads to depersonalisation and impulsiveness. Before you know it you will be turning into something else, it is only in hindsight that this becomes apparent. As quickly as this can help improve your life it can crumble it. CONTROL YOUR DOSAGE. So if you can control yourself absolutely I would recommend but be wary it is very easy to lead yourself down the path of a benzo addiction, I have done this become clean and reused several times now.”

AnxiousGuy · Taken for less than 1 month February 22, 2020

“very calming and peaceful drug, no bad side effects, lasts pretty long and helps me fall asleep.”

Quinn · Taken for 10 years or more February 9, 2020

“I have been on Valium since 2011 after the sudden passing of my husband. I have always had severe generalized anxiety and was never adequately treated for it, just given seroquel which made me non-functional. The loss of my husband exacerbated the anxiety condition and I began suffering from insomnia as well. My Dr tried me on a variety of benzodiazepine meds which didn’t last long enough in my system to give me adequate relief. We eventually gave diazepam a try and it worked so well. I started on 20mg a day and over the years I have tapered to a comfortable dose of 10mg daily. It does not make me sleepy or loopy but takes the edge off enough that I can care for my children and function in daily life. Yes there is a bit of a dependence but for me it’s worth it to be somewhat addicted rather than struggle to cope with terrible anxiety symptoms every day. I do recommend Valium as an effective anxiolytic however I would say to be aware of the potential for abuse and dependence.”

Patti January 16, 2020

“Valium is highly addictive and dangerous even deadly.”

Lolly · Taken for 5 to 10 years December 30, 2019

“I have been suffering with Bi-polar, Severe Depression & Severe Anxiety for many years now & have been put on & tried many different drugs by Dr's BUT the only thing that works is Valium & I take up to three 5 mgs per day & I feel so so GOOD. I can function I am way more productive & I actually get out & talk to people which is normally a no no for me. I also get a great appetite which I don't have if I don't take any. I was under a great Psychiatrist for many years until he retired I then had to move to the country where it was extremely hard to even find a GP but I finally did but have had to go private & he has put me onto a barrage of new Dr's to see in the New Year who are all private as well so I am stressed about paying for all of these at the moment & getting the new GP to give me any Valium is like asking for his kidney but on 2 rare occasions he has given ten 10mg Temazepam's which did help but I had to stretch them out.”

Valium · Taken for 10 years or more December 28, 2019

“Been taking Valium since April, 1969 after I blacked out while working for NASA. This is Jan., 2019, tried to lower the dose so limit my use. During Two weeks I had another blackout. Once I started talking Valium I had no other issue's with think clear, nor had any more black outs. I am a Viet Nam Veteran, 77 years old. Some doctors will not give you Valium if you are 75 years old.”

Painman · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2019

“I have been dependent on morphine and oxycodone in high doses for 20 years than someone suggested suboxone worst decision of my life. I was on it for 8 months and it worked as directed,I was very happy but started reading about PAWS (Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome) and started to wean down well anxiety, panic attacks and confusion hit me like a ton of bricks. Bupernephrine is a horrible drug to get off of. I would rather have gone thru full opiate detox than those. Tried Klonopin, Xanax both were a waste and very addicting! But I was tried on one 10 mg Valium and I have not felt that normal in ages. I am very leary of any pharmaceutical and don’t take it daily sometimes I put it away for a month. It has truly given my life back but I’m still on a drug. I want to be off everything and I don’t know if that will ever be. But for now I’m not clenching my teeth all day and tossing all night so I’m grateful. Thanks doc for taking a risk on me.”

Penny · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 12, 2019

“I have suffered with extreme social anxiety for as long as I can remember. Valium has been the only medication that has given me some peace of mind & comfort.”

DJ · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 2, 2019

“This drug almost killed me, as did the psychiatrist who prescribed it. In early 2017 I started with this new doctor who completely changed my psych regimen after a difficult move and sudden loss of a sister to a drug overdose. He started me on low dose Valium. It did work, but right away problems were showing. Soon enough I was hooked and popping these like life savers. My wife expressed concern about it, and what did the doctor do? He increased the dosage and quantity. Soon I was getting through the day with up to thirty pills. I experienced multi organ failure earlier this summer, and subsequent heart failure. My primary doctor recommended a new psychiatrist, who was shocked at my regimen. He said he wouldn’t see me until I had beaten the addiction. It was tough. He has since switched me to buspirone, although maxed out at 60mg. Valium may work in the short term, but just don’t do it. It’s a destroyer.”

Eyebeautyblogs12 · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2019

“I can’t say this medicine Is horrible for everyone but I can say that I got the unlucky end of the stick. This medicine actually made my anxiety worse! I literally felt like I was losing my mind. I couldn’t sleep at night because my fight or flight response wouldn’t stop rushing through my body and It made me have horrible panic attacks. It got to a point I had to call the EMS because my heart rate went up to 170....I was excited to try the medicine from the reviews because I wanted the relief and calm mind but I will never take this medicine again.”

Relaxed November 26, 2019

“I'm a Vietnam vet. Panic anxiety attacks. This medication Valium works very well with me. it is truly the only medication that I have taken that takes the insomnia away I can relax I can go about my day it works very well I'm very well pleased with it I have no more anxiety panic attacks. I take 10 mg two times a day... And since I'm a veteran all my medication is free so I paid nothing for it..”

Kennycoco · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 22, 2019

“Helps great once it kicks in for my anxiety would not recommend this medication for panic attacks as it can take 35 min to An hour to kick in”

Anonymous October 23, 2019

“Yes very helpful”

Magwell68 · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 26, 2019

“In 2015, my surgeon gave me 10mg Valium to help with post-op anxiety. I took it twice, but 10mg knocked me out, so I’d split the pill and take 5mg. I also have severe anxiety and depression and am prone to panic attacks, but I’d never taken meds for it (never asked). I had a couple panic attacks during recovery, took 5mg Valium, and it was like night and day. In 15 minutes I felt calm, relaxed and “normal” again. I rarely have panic attacks now, but my anxiety can be severe, so I’ll take a 1/4 pill (2.5mg), and it takes the edge off. I find the effects last for quite a while, and rarely have to take more than 2.5mg/day, and rarely take it more than 2 days in a row. I feel “normal” most of the time, but when my anxiety is too high, I’m glad I have it to take the edge off. I don’t have an addictive personality, so I don’t know if I’d ever feel like I “had to” take it to feel good, I just take it when nothing else is helping my level of anxiety go down.”

Pleasebecareful · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 14, 2019

“Valium is a great anti-anxiety medication, but please be aware and take the medication very sparingly, like if you are going out or driving or going to a gig ONE TIME. Whatever you do, DON'T take these pre-emptively and NEVER EVER take these daily. 2.5mg of Valium for once-off anxiety is great. Use it no more than ONE time for ONE month, and you should be fine. I recommend not using Valium for more than two days in a row, otherwise you will get addicted, and Valium is a nightmare to get off of if you are addicted. You will need to slow taper off of it if you have been taking this long-term, and this can take months or years. Check out Benzo Buddies for the horror stories. Don't drink any alcohol whilst taking this either, as both substances potentiate each other, making both stronger. Please, please be careful.”

BS1976 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 26, 2019

“After taking Xanax off and on for years, I developed a problem with it making me more anxious when it wore off, like a lot of heart palpitations, sweating, fear. I was switched over to Valium 6mg for two years and then advised to withdraw to see how I went. I’ve spent the last six months tapering and been off for 7 weeks and I’m miserable. I have returned PTSD and depression. So, I guess I didn’t go well and am going to reinstate 2mg a day to get my life back. When I take it I have no side effects and feel alive. I didn’t hit tolerance before. I say yes to Valium if you need it to feel normal and don’t abuse.”

Kyle · Taken for less than 1 month August 19, 2019

“I feel like it did the opposite of what it was supposed to. I needed help sleeping and controlling my mind going bonkers. It helped with my mind but I felt no tiredness or heaviness to my body like people mention. I felt more energetic than ever. Hyper even. No mind weighing me down. I felt like superman, until I realized I was awake for over 40 hours. Will call dr to work out what happened.”

Stuart August 11, 2019

“Valium (Xanax) I do not recommend these to anybody with an addictive personality. But 1 and 1/2 a day and you will feel, normal and confident and back to your old self, but DO NOT ABUSE. They generally take up to an hour so let them kick in fist. Best wishes folks ”

Speced August 8, 2019

“Good at small dose for during the day as needed but doesn’t keep you to sleep for a full night.”

Momof4 · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2019

“This drug has given me my life back. I no longer feel an overwhelming amount of fear and anxiety which left me sluggish and “frozen” I now feel as if I can do my normal chores and errands without any hesitation! I do feel tired at times And then at times like I have lots of energy but I feel better than I have in years!”

jarvis · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 27, 2019

“Very effective medication so long as you only use it as needed.”

Seven · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 24, 2019

“Excellent drug, just make sure to use it as prescribed. It is good for anxiety and also very helpful with muscle and lower back issues (slipped discs). Long term use will need a slow taper for some people as this chemical is a GABAergic and all drugs in this class should be tapered. I have used long term with no ill effects or issues.”