User Reviews for Valium

Valium Rating Summary

8.8/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 167 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety.

Reviews for Valium to treat Anxiety

"My psychiatrist prescribed this for me reluctantly when I demanded some relief from horrible anxiety. I did not abuse it, and he monitored my intake. In the first few years I averaged 10mg per week. I went through a horrible personal tragedy and upped the dose, with psychiatrists' full knowledge. The tragedy lasted 3 years, and I quit valium cold-turkey. I stayed in bed 8 months, and learned the meaning of the phrase "pray without ceasing." Literally. For those who need some kind of timeline, I speak from experience that withdrawal eased up after 8 months. God willing, I will never touch benzos again. Short-term for some patients they offer some benefits. Short term ONLY."

SufferingSuccotash (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 27, 2018

"Let me start off with thanking valium for helping me to get onto an airplane after years of fear! I got on that plane like I owned it lol... got into Mexico and was still calm as a clam on the taxi ride to the hotel. OK but now my anxiety has come back to me lately and I've felt the need to take 5mg of valium almost every other day...I'm a changed person on it... I have no fears, it helps me save the world... it brings my appetite back to the point I want to order everything off the menu... I'm more calm with my children I'm happy and playful. I do also see a counsellor once a week and I am aware of the unfortunate withdraws valium could possibly have."

Msmoni (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2018

"I have been taking it sparingly for years, just 1 (max. 2) mg to send me asleep when stressed out and anxious, nowadays, with horrible tinnitus. The longest I took it was 6 days on the trot for extreme anxiety. It helps to calm down my stomach, the life-sapping stress response in the body. Then, I have a big break, try to use some of the CBT techniques I learned, then again, when it gets too much. It saved my ass many times. In the meantime drink herbal teas (Melissa, nettle, Valerian) and try to exercise (walking, cycling) and eat healthy foods (lots of vegetables, fruit in moderation and organic meats, nuts, seeds, unpasteurized cheese, etc.). I am so pleased that it is helping other people. There are times when you just cannot do it on your own. It can be hard but I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel."

XX (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2018

"Valium is the best benzo I've ever tried for anxiety and panic attacks. it blows ativan out of the water. Valium 5 to 10mg as needed is perfect."

SAm (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 30, 2018

"I was diagnosed with anxiety, depression, panic attacks & PTSD. This medicine has helped me tremendously. Only take 2mg as needed & haven’t had any addiction problems. Often times when I get so worked up my family members & doctors remind me to take Valium. I use it as a last resort only when I can’t calm myself down, so I am definitely not addicted. I only have to take it a few times a month. For me 2 mg can keep me calm for 2 To 3 days. It helped me go back to work and go out in public places. It has given me a part of my life back. It does not make me sleepy and I have not had any side effects. This is the best medication I have ever taken for my anxiety& my depression. It has helped me live life again."

TiredofAnxiety (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 12, 2018

"15 years ago my mother gave me a Kolonopin to help me out on my first plane ride and the euphoria of freedom from anxiety was instantly addicting. I soon got my own RX and over the years I was up to 4mg a day and my anxiety wasn’t improving. A very incredible psychiatrist told me it was now just harming me and my tolerance was far too high and he amazingly got me off Kolonopin to taper with Valium because of the longer half-life. I’m now down to 12mg a day (from the converted 60!) and it’s been hell. I’ve never been so anxious and depressed. Though this is SADLY normal with tapering. I’m working with therapists and trying to keep on a schedule of exercise and deep breathing but I fear I’ll never be able to break free from these terrible drugs that are killing me. (I also lost 80 lbs and my BMI is under 17 after the taper.) While I hate all benzos for what they’ve done to me, Valium is definitely the lesser of all the evils."

IHateYouTooAnxiety (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 16, 2018

"I average about 10 valium pills (5mg) per month. Helps with: 1) Blood pressure spikes 2) Occasional anxiety 3) Difficultly going to sleep 4) Jetlag sleep disruption-international flights 5) Have used prior medical procedure to reduce tension & anxiety 6) Can be used when wanting to reduce alcohol consumption"

Jack (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 11, 2018

"Hi I take Valium (diazapam) 1.5-2.5mg every second week for a few nights to help me sleep. My insomnia had become so bad it was effecting my memory and my work during the day and increasing my anxiety. I find it really helps me sleep well and function better during the day. Also reduces my anxiety and I don’t get side effects. My recommendations to take it less often so it works when you need it. I don’t find it addictive. It does have a long half life so it can build up in your system fast so that is something to watch."

Tired (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2018

"The medication I stopped for a month off a taper. And just went back on it. I was sweeting perfusely, along with social anxiety, and PTSD. It has been a god sent medication, But the only down fall is that it can have bad withdrawal symptoms! But I was on xanax 4mg daily and Valium. The xanax withdrawal put me in the hospital but the Valium withdrawal is mild, but it is dangerous. Hope this helps someone in need of some advice!! Make sure it's only taken at the recommended dose and try too use it every couple of days not daily, otherwise you develop a tolerance."

Geez LA weez (taken for 10 years or more) February 20, 2018

"This drug helps at first but it's hell in the end! NEVER take Benzos!"

Ihatebenzos (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2018

"Having anxiety my whole life I never sought help and always hid it. Eventually it led to depression which I covered up too. The final nail in my coffin was when I acquired a parasitic infection in my gut l. The infection left me with permanent irritable bowel syndrome which I suffer from every day. For a year straight I seen numerous nerve pain experts and probably had 100 pill bottles in my drawer which nothing helped. My first psychiatrist started to prescribe medicines I already tried which I denied then asked for 5mg valium. Miracle drug that took all pain away, physical and mental. After 2 years decided to stop which was a devil's ride to hell. Miracle drug with insane withdrawal when stopped even tapering. Back to being miserable now."

Anxietysux (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 7, 2017

"My blood pressure was 270/120 and had to work through many drugs before this one lowered my anxiety and blood pressure. At 20 mg a day usually take all at night time for sleep to. Side effects sometimes headache. Strong addiction and should be weaned off it slowly or your head will hurt non stop for a month. A nightmare to stop cold. It lasts eight times longer than Xanax or Klonopin they are two brothers not to mess with. At first you may have the sedated effect before you become more resistant to the drug. Where you get the drug also makes a difference. Some stores give the yellow tablet which melts in mouth as clean as water. Other stores have an orange tablet that tastes like paper. Walmart has the good one and some grocery but not CVS."

Brian H.H. September 10, 2017

"Was previously on lorazapam and switched to Valium in February. Since then I never felt relief and suffered every day from anxiety. It didn't matter if I took 2mg or 12mg I didn't feel better and in fact I felt more anxiety. A week ago I decided to stop it cold turkey and every day since I have felt 90% better. I'm going through some withdrawal like tinnitus and night time sweats but I wake up better and have been feeling happiness. I strongly recommend staying off any benzodiazepine and if you are going to take it, only for bad panic attacks. Never take them daily as they are very addictive and quite difficult to get off of. They say that benzos are more difficult to get off of than heroin. Try Gabapentin for anxiety."

PM17 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 4, 2017

"I have suffered with anxiety and severe panic attacks for many years. It is a GODSEND. Initially anyway. I have noticed over the years I've had to increase the dose I take (which I've never taken daily). 5mg of diazepam (Valium) never did much for me. But 7.5mg used to have a perfect effect. These days I need 15mg for that same affect. Its a shame. And I thought I wasn't abusing it because I didn't take it daily. (Generally 2 or 3 times a week, depending how I felt). I'm still giving it a high rating for the many times its helped me. But even taking it as PRN has eventually caught up on me. If I don't take it for several days I start feeling sick. Devastated to lose a medication that can work so well."

PatchRight (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 2, 2017

"I used to be on Klonopin for years and I think it helped but I'm not sure since I was also on Paxil. It came to a point where neither were working for me even at higher dosages so I started taking Ativan. This really helped my anxiety but it would come back every morning. Eventually I hit tolerance and had to increase it. Eventually I hit tolerance again and I found myself feeling more anxious than ever. I decided it was time to get off. The doctor put me on Valium because it's easier to taper off than any other benzo. He suggested I could take anywhere from 4mg to 10mg per day. I slowly tapered down to 1.5mg but I was miserable. I reinstated and went back up to 6mg and have also tried 10mg and it has never worked for me. Stay away from it"

PaulMartin16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 1, 2017

"I take Valium 2mg PRN for panic attacks. I was nervous about using it. I also had this warped idea that I would be labeled a pill head for taking a drug like Valium. I can honestly say that Valium is a life saver. The first time I took it all I could think about was how I regretted not taking it sooner. I can actually live my life now. You have to be careful though. It is very easy to build a tolerance to it. Use the lowest amount you need, because You would be surprised how much of a difference 1 mg will make. I have been trying to use it as a tool rather than a crutch. I also have ADD and Valium helps me fall asleep at night when I feel restless"

Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa May 20, 2017

"I have bipolar 2, generalized anxiety disorder and suffer panic attacks. I am given Valium 5mg to take 'when needed'. While I feel it works well on generalized (mild to moderate) anxiety, it's not the most effective medication to take to during acute episodes like in a panic attack. I feel the 5mg isn't enough. Also if you take it even every few days, it pretty quickly becomes less effective meaning you may have to increase the dose. I now take 10mg as needed. It's very helpful, and I find it to be very effective, but perhaps not strong enough during acute panic attacks, but in general this medication is a blessing."

Kieran P May 12, 2017

"Suffering 16 years ago from PTSD after being told in hospital that I only had 30 mins before I would die, I was a wreck when I came home and lived in fear and terror, shortness of breath, uncontrollable shaking, extreme nausea, body aching all over, doctor and specialist visits - had every test known to the medical world, all came back normal. Finally a friend suggested I try Zoloft and after a week I felt myself starting to feel normal again and after six months I gave it up, but since then I periodically have PTSD symptoms and 5mg of Valium (don't buy generic diazepam) on those days has been my life saver. God bless you Pfizer Pharmaceuticals!"

Kathy Hillyer (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2017

"I try not to use them often, I usually just try to put up with my anxiety because I don't want to go on antidepressants as none of them have worked for my anxiety and made my mood worse. So I find Valium when I really need it fantastic, it is quick and no side effects for me. It's a pity the doctors don't like prescribing it, people who abuse it make it hard for someone like me who really needs it in times of severe anxiety."

krissy74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

"Excellent for obsessive thinking"

Lucy goosy (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 22, 2017

"I've suffered social anxiety for years and just battled on. Then someone smashed into my car from behind while in traffic and I started having awful panic attacks. I didn't really know what they were at first but I was struggling badly. Eventually things calmed down but a hugely stressful life situation caused the attacks to flair up again. I finally sought help and was prescribed 2mg diazepam, 1 - 2 Tabs for an attack. I will barely take a headache tablet I was extremely worried about using Valium. But it's absolutely amazing. Use it with caution, take as little as possible and stop and see what happens. I can take half a tablet (1mg) to completely stop panic episodes that have built up over time. Be careful and it will serve you well."

Wu2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 3, 2017

"I was suicidal aged 25. Anxiety and Depression. Diazepam saved my life. I started on 5mg 3 Times a day for a week cut down to 2 for a week then one at night under doctors orders. Also one Prozac in the mornings 20 mg. I felt better straight away. Don't let anyone scare you from taking Diazepam, yes they are addictive BUT my quality of life since taking it has been as a (normal) person. I really can't praise it enough as I know I wouldn't be here and living a good life without it. If the tablets help then why not take them. Thanks for reading."

Wot sit January 17, 2017

"I'm new to anxiety, having to recover from leg surgerys for long periods of time without getting out of my room much, I had my first anxiety /panic attack after 8 weeks in bed. After a trip to the hospital, I was then placed on valium, many times per day at the beginning but just a few months later I use them as needed. Maybe 2 per day. I have another surgery coming up and will be down again for only 8 weeks total. But this time I have prepared for more visitors as well as I will be mobile soon after surgery. I'm keeping my valium for now and hoping to get away from them during my physical therapy."

Greg W January 10, 2017

"Works fast and is best thing that I have tried for my panic attacks"

Kindhearted December 30, 2016

"The last time I took it, it worked very well. It took a lot longer to kick in than xanax, but also kept working longer. It also helped with some of my chronic pain, which was nice."

espresso_dreams (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2016