User Reviews for Aczone to treat Acne

Aczone Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 391 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Aczone

"I have struggled with cystic acne my whole life (I am now 26 yrs old), and was desperate to find a topical that was effective. Aczone has been a game-changer for me! My breakouts have all but been eliminated-- and when they do occur (hormonally), they are much smaller and last for a shorter duration. I use it once daily, and it does not leave my skin dry or oily like most other topical ointments."

krebscycle (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2019

"I am a middle aged male and have been experiencing problems with acne for the past 8-10 years. I have been on accutane 4 times and would exeperience clear skin for about a year every time after my treatment. My acne would always resurface, and it would be an uphill battle to keep it at bay. I would also like to add that I experienced breakouts most frequently during the winter months. After habitually visiting my dermatologist, I was finally prescribed Aczone but did not expect much from topical treatment. I have been applying for about six months and my skin is not only completely clear, but I am able to actually touch my face and eat foods I NEVER use to eat in the past. I strongly recommend this product to any male experiencing the problems I have. Acne is the most frustrating situation I had facee, and it killed my self esteem. If you have severe cystic acne, I suggest you clear it up with accutane and immediately switch to dapsone to keep it under control."

Jack (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 17, 2019

"If you have never used this product, try it. It might just turn out its works just as good for you as it did for me! All I can say is, it works, it works, it works. I have tried so many things including other RX that didn't have any results. I am 40, and used aczone (dapsone) gel for 3+ years now. The results are awesome, and yes I had every type of acne you can think of everyday since a teenager. Since using this medication once a day I have NO acne, zero. Even scarring is reduced. Talk to your doctor,, and all the best for success using this!"

Jenn (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 17, 2018

"At the end of October my almost 14 year old who had always had such great skin started to have terrible breakouts. We tried so many OTC products and she cut out sugar, dairy, and would drink gallons of water each day and it seemed to get worse. I took her to a wonderful dermatologist on Nov. 26 and she prescribed Aczone 7.5%. She started using it that night. She has not skipped one night and after 2 1/2 weeks her skin looks SO GOOD! The reviews are right, you won't see immediate results, you have to BE PATIENT. She continued getting a new pimple almost everyday for the first 2 weeks, but they cleared up so fast and the last 4 days she hasn't gotten anything new and everything else has faded. She washes her face with Cetaphil, waits 20 minutes to apply the Aczone, then waits another 30 before applying her Cetaphil night cream moisturizer. She plans on using this for a very long time! Please don't give up right away, I know it takes a little longer for some people."

Renee (taken for less than 1 month) December 14, 2018

"Great product. First off, Aczone will not give you immediate results. That’s for sure. But it IS worth the wait. Prior to Aczone, I had tried EVERYTHING. Over the counter, prescriptions, professionally done facials, you name it. I was given Aczone 2 & 1/2 months ago in combination with Sulfacleanse (a wash I use once a day) and my skin is almost completely clear. I also take Minocycline twice a day. It definitely doesn’t guarantee perfect skin but you WILL see a huge improvement."

finallyclearerskin (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2018

"I have tried every recommended acne product whether it be topical or tablets and this is the only thing that has worked INCREDIBLY well for me. I was prescribed this in August 2018 along with Spironolactone (commonly used for high blood pressure but works to kill acne by slowing down oil production) and my skin is perfect right now. I'm not going to lie it was a little rough in the beginning 1-2 months in I was getting quite a few pimples, many flare-ups randomly. But it went by so fast I don't discourage this product because of that. I went from not wanting to go out of the house most of the time to leaving with no makeup on every day, you need to try this! The only negative thing is that the Aczone is expensive. My insurance doesn't cover it but it's so worth it to me. Hope this helps!"

Maddie (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2018

"I randomly started having moderate cystic acne when I turned 20 and tried everything over the counter. I finally went to the derm and got 20 mg doxy twice a day along with tretinoin cream .25% at night. It helped a little but not to my liking... she then gave me aczone and my skin cleared up so fast. I have been clear for about 3 weeks now for the first time in at least a year. I am still on all other medications (doxy and tret cream) and am so happy I started to use aczone. I am wondering, has anyone got clear skin with aczone? Also what happened when you stopped using it, did the acne come back?"

Katie (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2018

"Growing up I has always had clear skin, and then at the age of 22 my skin FREAKED out. I had extremely bad hormonal acne, at least 14 white heads at a time that hurt so bad. I didn’t even want to leave the house. A dermatologist prescribed aczone and benzoyl peroxide face wash and iIswear that the aczone is what saved my face. My face is 100% clear now in just a few months. Just a few red marks that still need to fade are left. aczone gave me my confidence back."

tay (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2018

"The first time i used this product, I used it with tazorac, and it cleared my skin up nicely. I have had trouble with acne on and off since I was a teen. It cleared my acne up in a few weeks but completely dried my skin out around my mouth. My lips started peeling and turning brown even lipstick didn't help. Derm recommended cutting back use to every other day. Didn't help. I stopped altogether and my lips and mouth area returned back to normal. 5-6 months later I started aczone again since my acne has gotten so bad. I made sure to stay away from my lips etc, got a great moisturizer to keep area hydrated and now I have a red rash around my lips and nose and on my lips.... guess I'm having some weird reaction. :("

TK (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2018

"TRY IT OUT! I'm a mid-30 yo female that has always been acne free. Stress and bacterial infection from clarisonic caused acne break out all over forehead and cheeks. My dermatologist has put me on Solodyn 55mg and Aczone 7.5% once a day. Here's my routine: Daytime - Purpose facewash, Kiehl's calendula toner, Aveeno posivitely radiant spf30 moisturizer. Nightime - Purpose facewash, kiehl's calendula toner, Aczone, after 5 minutes CeraVe oilfree PM moisturizer, oral Solodyn. I have been applying Aczone for 2 weeks and it has drastically brought down the inflammation along with clearing some stubborn acne. I still have a ways to go, but this has made me feel so much better about my skin! Side note: 60gram bottle dispenses 0.8% - so it should last you 75+ days and the cost of Aczone without insurance is $75 - I called Allergan directly to get this info. Definitely try this out if you are dealing with inflamed, red, angry acne! I'll do another review at the month mark!"

SamP October 15, 2018

"I’m 53 and my husband and I moved out of state because he got transferred and there was a lot of stress. I started breaking out so badly. I was freaking. As soon as we got settled in Tennessee I got to a dermatologist. She put me on Aczone 7.5 and it’s amazing. I had to be patient because it did take a few months but it’s so worth it. I’ll never not stop using it. My skin at 53 is more tone and beautiful then it was in my 20s!!"

Marci (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2018

"do not use this medication. I've been on it for months & I have worst acne than I ever have had! Find something else"

SkinnyRich (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 30, 2018

"I normally never write reviews, but this acne medication warrants it. I suffered the worst breakout of my life in May. I had tried everything under the sun to get my acne better. I was embarrassed to go outside my breakout was so bad. So, I went to the dermatologist and they prescribed me aczone. I put it on when I got home, and my acne started to get better pretty much right away. It still took a long time for my acne to get better- honestly 4 months- but it did it's job and my skin has never been clearer. I would not have been able to break the acne cycle without aczone."

spare September 13, 2018

"Only reason I am sharing this experience is because I've literally tried everything and anything you can imagine to get my skin clear.I have a stressful job which doesn't help either. I tried spirolactone which made my face even worse, and have tried every prescription face cream there is. I have very sensitive skin that is sensitive to hormonal changes. I went to the derm to get a cortizone shot for a huge cyst and was not planning on going on a new prescription cream until she recommended Aczone. At first I said no and accepted the fact that my skin was never going to be where I wanted it to be, but she gave me a sample to try before buying just in case. I was bored one night and decided to start trying it- what else do I have to loose? After 3-4 weeks of Aczone, this changed my skin. I haven't had a prescription cream work this well and I am almost scared to post this to jinx it- but if you've tried everything and just given up, please try this."

AC September 13, 2018

"I have been on this gel since a few years back when I first started to experience bad breakouts. I was started at the 1% gel, and saw very little difference. In the past year, I have been prescribed antibiotics, tazorac, even switching my diet as well as many other things to help my skin, and nothing worked. In the past few months, my dermatologist has had me on the Aczone 7.5% gel and this has worked amazing for my skin. I've experienced no purging or flakiness, and it has worked wonders for my skin. Although it works well I do suggest that you use a heavy moisturizer on top after it dries off if you are concerned about having dry skin. It has helped to control my breakouts, but takes significantly longer to get rid of larger cystic acne. Overall, this product has worked amazing"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2018

"Growing up, I never had acne. It wasn’t until I turned 30, then all of sudden my face started breaking out all over my cheeks, chin and jawline. Hopeless, I went to a dermatologist who prescribed me Aczone 5% to be applied nightly along with a daily face wash and morning moisturizer. I’ve been on this regiment for 1 month and after using it every day without skipping, my face is clean and completely clear! I will say, however, that you NEED to be patient. After the second week, I noticed a heavier breakout in odd places, but my doctor told me that this would happen so I stuck it out. Most acne medications will not provide you with instant results as they need to remove the junk from your skin first. This is why you will break out around the second or third week. It may seem bad, but trust me, it just means it’s working! By the time the second week was over, I was left with some scarring, but continuing on with this product even diminished those as well!"

anonymous August 26, 2018

"I started to experience acne when I turned 11. Seems like the acne kicked into full throttle when the later stages of puberty began. And it’s been a battle so far. When I finally decided to visit the dermatologist, they prescribed me Doxy & Aczone. At first when I used the Aczone it made my skin look great. Better than it had in awhile, it seemed it was lighting the tone of my red spots! I’ve been on it for 2 and a half weeks & my face is AWFUL. (Now yes I do understand there is a purging period, so I’m gonna keep going, unless I don’t see better results in 4 weeks). I can tell it’s not my classic acne, because it feels buried under the skin. I highly recommend you try this product. Though it does leave blemishes from causing all of the rising to the skin, I believe it is working. But then comes my question. The Doxycycline takes around 6 weeks to fully kick in, and maybe I don’t need the Aczone. Because from what I can see, it’s causing my face to scar SO MUCH easier"

TheBoys (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2018

"I am 24 years old, african american female with caramel skin. I have been on topical medications for my moderate hormonal acne. About a year ago my skin went crazy, went back to a dermatologist and was prescribed Aczone 7.5 gel. I 100% always look up reviews before I use a product, so I felt the need to write a review for my experience. It's literally amazing. You do go through a purging period but please stick with it. It's been 4 months, and my face is beautiful & clear again. Just have a couple of dark spots, but all in all I'm really happy with the results. Every now & then I get a breakout but it clears up quickly. It goes on smooth under makeup. Skin rountine am: neutrogena acne prone facial bar, aczone, (wait 10 mins) then apply moisturizer. At night wash face & put some retin-a cream for my dark spots. I use aczone only once a day. Please give it the full 12 weeks to clear you up, it works!!! I hope this review helped, the same way other reviewers helped me stick with it!"

brooklynp August 9, 2018

"Aczone has been a miracle treatment option for my inflammation based, hormonal, PCOS facial acne. It clears up my acne literally overnight without drying out my skin like tretinoin cream does. It also does a superb job of clearing red splotches on my face and evening out my skin tone. There is no other acne treatment that has evened my skin tone. I really love this stuff! The ONLY downside is that it it so, so, so expensive."

Samantha (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

"I started using this when the dermatologist prescribed it to me and at first it worked okay. But three weeks in it caused me to break out and I now have the worst acne I have ever had because of this product."

bssiley141413 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2018

"It's been 1 week and not joking my acne has dried up. Its a miracle cream. I apply at night so I didn’t have to worry much about applying anything on the top of it. My only complaint is that acne scar are not fading away. Might be I have to wait for months but I expected the result quick. Anyways only scarring is left on my face otherwise all the bumpy acne are dried up. I will increase my rating once I clear up all my scares within a month."

Alafiya (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2018

"I never suffered too much from acne as a teenager. I would get some breakouts here and there before my period. It wasn't until I was 24 that I started getting bad acne on my cheeks. I went to a dermatologist and she said it was hormonal. She did prescribe me antibiotics and aczone. At first it did burn when I put it on because I had a lot of acne on my cheeks. It does take about two months to see a complete change but it's completely worth it. My skin is the best it's ever been."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 12, 2018

"I started having adult acne after stopping birth control. I tried atraline and it helped for a while but my face always peeled. It never adjusted as promised. Then the acne came back. I was put on an antibiotic. It helped. A lot. But then I had to stop taking it because you can't take those long term. My doctor then suggested aczone and it's been the best thing I've ever tried. No acne and no peeling skin."

Snicole (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2017

"I’ve been using aczone 7.5% gel once a day full face and my skin has never been clearer. I didn’t have much acne as a teen, only small pimples on my forehead, but once I hit my early 20’s I started getting breakouts all over, specifically cysts and pimples on my chin and center cheeks. I soon realized this was probably hormonal acne and after trying prescriptions such as epiduo forte and veltin, I realized that products that dry out my skin are not the answer. After hearing that aczone had been seen to help women with hormonal acne AND doesn’t have a drying effect like most other acne products, I had to give it a try. Not only did it clear my hormonal acne, but even took care of the small pimples I had since my teen years. Simply amazing!!!"

Hormonal Acne Holly (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 19, 2017

"I'm a 59 year old woman and have never experienced an acne problem until recently. Two weeks ago my Dermatologist prescribed Aczone gel 7.5 to be used once a day. I have noticed a substantial decrease in my breakouts. I know it's early in my use, but as of today I would give this a high rating. I will report back after a more extended use of the product."

Boos Mom December 18, 2017