User Reviews for Aczone

Learn more about Aczone.

Aczone Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 402 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Aczone to treat Acne

"So I'm almost a month into using aczone twice a day and minocycline 100mg twice a day. So my face us actually getting worst "

NIKA 26 September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I recently visited a dermatologist due to hormonal acne. Never before did I have to worry so much about my skin that it would drastically affect my mood, social life, etc. I've spent so much money on better skincare, higher end and full coverage foundations - nothing was working (tea tree oil, spot treatment, apple cider vinegar, legit tried everything). The derm prescribed me 100mg of Spironolactone - but said it takes a few weeks to kick in. I'm on my third week and honestly not many changes. In addition she prescribed me Aczone. I don't know if this is just not strong enough for deep acne, but I apply this gel on my affected area multiple times a day and it has not gotten better. I think it may be better for smaller whiteheads, etc."

Kelc2313 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have used Aczone 5% for over 2 years. It worked pretty well to manage minor breakouts and is much less abrasive than other topical acne treatments (both OTC and prescription). I still struggled with cystic acne, so my dermatologist also prescribed an oral medaction called Spironolactone. I take 50mg 1 daily. Boy does that really help my cystic acne! That medication when used as prescribed at higher dosages is to treat high blood pressure, but it has been found that in doses 50-100mg to treat cystic acne. I have extremely sensitive skin and have to be careful with what products I put on my face. I recently made the change to the 7.5% and am experiencing some redness and irritation. Does anyone know if this will subside overtime?"

NFEagles14 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been experiencing cystic acne for about 3 months now. My doctor had put on adaphlene cream and doxy antibiotic pills the first 2 months which basically purge out all sorts of acne. I was aware that it takes roughly 12 weeks to see results but I was just getting worse. My doctor ended up referring me to a Dermatologist who told me to continue with the adaphlene cream 0.1% at night. He took me off of the doxy antibiotic and prescribe me the minocycline 50mg 2 times a day and Aczone gel 7.5 once day as well as wash my face with Benozoyl Peroxide wash. The acne is almost gone after only being on the new medications 2 weeks. All I have left now is the horrible hyperpigmentation from the acne and it seems to be fading gradually too."

Kittykat71 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"So I have used the samples of this medication and it worked great, but recently I got my prescription filled for it and it seemed to exacerbate cystic acne on my neck, jawline. I read the ingredients and it contains a form of silicone that can worsen cystic acne. Is the sample formulation different or did they change the ingredients recently?"

Amy Rose August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I didn't find this helped at all. Made it so much worse if anything. Until I came across a mudmask and a blemish treatment which I was told would help out a whole lot. And it did. Because of the mask being made from all natural ingredients... it cleaned it up a treat... whilst removing all my blackheads at the same time! It's definitely the best thing ever for drawing all the crap out!!"

Jojogogo85 August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Help! My skin seemed to be normal with few breakouts... I started aczone 7.5 and it is terrible! Pimples and redness all over my face! Is this normal?!? Should I wait it out?! It's been about 3 weeks."

Brittburio August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I cannot tell you how this product helped me. Background: I am 32 years old, never had acne until 30 years old. I went to the doctor and tried this out; it worked miracles. My faced purged for about a month, but I let it do its thing. If you use this the way you are suppose to, then this should cure it. I have used it for about 2 months. Yes, my face got dry, it purged, it got red, but it goes away. If you wanna put make up on after the cream, you must wait at least 30 minutes after application. I swear by this cream; my dermatologist, Dr.Brown. This cream takes time; you are not gonna see results right away. Just like any cream, machine(clearisonic) needs to purge all your pimples and the ones that are embedded in your skin."

Vlsaenz74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Aczone kills periodic break outs for me. Only on the very spot though! Otherwise I wash with dial antibacterial soap everyday as a friend with acne told me about when I was 13 and I don't have many breakouts ever. Unless it's PMS, drinking Coke or anything with caramel color in it, or too much chocolate. One tube has lasted me 3 years!!!"

Chan100ll July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on aczone 5% about 2 years ago and it didn't really do much. I had tried everything (and I mean everything, changing my BC, proactive, you name it). My dermo put me on tretinoin .025% and my face started breaking out like crazy. I stuck with it for about a month and then I called my dermo really upset. They moved me to aczone 7.5% and tretinoin .05% and I stuck with that for about 6 months. Oh. my god. I haven't gotten a single pimple in 3 months, all my scars are gone, my skin looks AMAZING. I honestly never thought I would have clear skin in my life and I feel like I found the holy grail. It really sucks for about 2 months when you go through the purge and your skin dries out, but it is SOO worth it. I promise."

Justice Beaver (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am a 25 y/o African american female and I never had to see a dermatologist up until Nov 2016 because my face had turned for the worst after quitting BC! I had huge PAINFUL cystic acne on my jawline and cheeks(hormonal). My first few visits to the derm I was recommended the normal cetaphil, & topical & oral clindamycin. FAIL. I was prescribed Aczone 5% (once a day) in March 2017 & my skin is on its way to being flawless! It DEFINITELY gets worse between weeks 2-5, like additional acne in places I never had it before worse, but it will get better! DON'T QUIT! I'm on week 8 now. I may get a tiny pimple or 2 here & there but thats it. I will say that I upped my dose to 2x a day & still use the cetaphil prior. I'm happy I didn't have to resort to spiro =)"

redzz1106 May 24, 2017

"The best ever!!!!"

Myshel (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I don't know why I've continued to use this, for what seems like years. I stayed with the 5% gel. While it's worked very well keeping breakouts at bay and my shoulders and chest, it has been not good for my face. I just keep getting pimples and excessive oil saturation. I very recently was upped to the 7.5% and that seems worse. I think it just is too harsh or just not effective for my face. I tried just using it every other day, but it seems the morning after I've used it, there are new pimples."

telminha (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was originally using a combination of benzoyl peroxide and tactuo but was still breaking out a bit and wanted to see if there was something else that could clear my skin up even more. I was prescribed aczone and was instructed to use it every morning in replacement of my benzoyl peroxide. After two and a half month of using aczone my skin is the worst it's been in years. I have breakouts all over my face. I am incredibly disappointed with this product."

12345! May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Aczone is a mediocre and overpriced topical medication, distributed by a greedy pharmaceutical company named Allergan. Spend your money on a better product that doesn't cost you $900/year (with insurance!!!) I'm switching back to Finacea, which is just as good on my skin and doesn't break the bank."

Dana V. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My face looks terrible. I do not recommend. I have pimples where I didn't have beforehand."

ABambi April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started using Aczone about 2 weeks ago. My derm added this to my other prescriptions (prescription benzoyl peroxide wash 5%, and adapalene gel) I have been seeing a dermatologist since I was a sophomore in high school and I am 25 years old now with acne as bad as a high schooler. I've used sooooo many prescriptions and been put on antibiotics and nothing has changed. So my derm suggested I try aczone. This has made my face absolutely terrible with break outs. I called my dermatologIst and spoke to the nurse who said this is normal and it will get worse before it gets better. Has anyone else had this experience using aczone? And for anyone who's insurance did not cover thos, just go to their website. I paid about 35 dollars."

Ksjsbdbd (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"While the gel itself had marginal results with my acne, the fact that it is SO expensive AND has completely ruined all the towels that it came in contact with has caused me to stop using it. If you use it, use towels that you don't care about because it will discolor them. I didn't have issues with clothing or bed sheets, but I think that was by luck/chance."

Stained user (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm an 18 year old female and I've always struggled with occasional acne it would come and go, but recently I was breaking out and picking my face constantly which made it worst. I had many self esteem problems bc of this and had trouble going out bc of the way I looked, a couple of weeks ago a friend gave me some Aczone samples and I've been applying it twice a day and the results have been incredible it cleans out my pores like never before and I've tried many products but nothing like this! it does take a day or two for the swelling of the inflamed pore to go down in size so have patience."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used this product for about 6 months. I have very sensitive skin (benzoyl peroxide is my biggest allergen) Aczone gave me a similar reaction to benzoyl: dry burning red patches all over my face. not good if your skin is sensitive and prone to rashes."

caracee123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I went back to my dermatologist because of hormonal acne. I currently was only using clear and clear benzoyl peroxide (5%) and aveno moisturizer (with .5% salicylic acid). I have a lot of under the skin deep rooted pimples under my chin that have been here for over 3 years. The dermatologist I went to said the aczone would help with my deep rooted hormonal acne. He told me to apply a small pea size amount over my entire face. He took me off my clean and clear face wash which was actually keeping my acne at bay... I honestly am so disgusted by Aczone. It made me break out into huge pimples on the side of my face where I never had pimples before - EVER. I am still breaking out on the sides of my face! Was on this product for 4 months...!"

Slwjhdjwqokqeh (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have breakouts at 59 and my dermatologist handed me samples. I love Aczone."

Jennschimes March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had been suffering from acne since puberty that progressively got worse as I aged. After trying every product on the shelves and still having no relief from the very painful acne around my chin. My dermatologist recommended this product and my skin has never been better. I will admit it took 3-6 weeks before I really noticed any changes but sticking to this product has not only treated all of my acne it also helped with the scarring. I have even stopped wearing foundation all together and receive many compliments on my complexion. My regimen is to wash and moisturize my face twice daily and apply the product nightly."

roboflorida (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Aczone & Tazorac to use each once a day aczone in the morning & tazorac every other night. The Aczone made my face break out sooo bad it did more damage than anything!"

Breakout Brittany (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Aczone for hormonal adult acne. The first time I tried it I was instructed to use it once daily in the morning and at night to apply Retin A cream. It caused my face to get extremely oily and did not seem to do anything to help the acne. So I stopped taking it for over a two years finding oral antibiotics to be the only solution. However, recently my dermatologist suggested I try Aczone again. I increased to twice daily, once in the morning and once at night. I saw results within a day and my face had almost completely cleared by the end of the week. I still use the Retin A cream at night in addition to the Aczone and it seems to be my new acne solution. I think using it twice a day was a must for me."

SashaZD January 15, 2017