User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 47 medications used in the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Helicobacter Pylori Infection

"I had bad side effects with this medicine so I called my doctor and stopped it my doctor told me that the benefits from the medicine outweighs the side effects so I went back on the medicine and I found out that eating with medicine helps with the belly pains and orange juice takes away the metallic taste"

TheillOne (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"The first day was terrible, I had the headaches, nausea, general ill feeling, neck and shoulder pain, eyes pain, this happens every other day. Also bitter taste. Thankfully am on the ninth day and I pray it clears the pylori. Cause I can't do it again. Scary experience, oh yes heat flushes as well"

Surfy July 3, 2016

"Sadly I'm only on day 1 of this medicine combine with amoxcillin and Lansoprazole and it's hell i got extreme dizziness I feel so slow with thinking my stomach is burning few minutes after the drugs and I got bad diheroea. The symptoms start to decrease few hrs after first dose but return when I take my second dose. Never again will I take this antibiotic and I have 6 days left "

HurtsSoBad (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2016

"The side effects of this medication were unbearable to the point where I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish the whole 10 day course. It left a disgusting metal taste in my mouth for HOURS. Strong nausea started on day 2 or so, but subsided around day 5. It can be best described almost like morning sickness a pregnant woman would have. On day 7 it actually gave me acid reflux, which was worrying since I thought the medication wasn't working. I stuck with it and made it to the tenth day, words can't describe the happiness I felt throwing the pill bottle away. As horrible as it was, got retested and H. Pylori is officially gone!"

SBchic June 1, 2016

"It's too early to tell yet regarding the effectiveness of the eradication protocol, but the taste in my mouth, bloating, and overall chronic Nassau feel is horrible. I'm somewhat relived that I am not the only one experiencing these adverse reactions from the protocol. I do feel positive knowing that I'm getting rid of this horrible bacteria, because I've been so sick for almost 2 months. Thanks for the helpful tips on what to use to help with the taste that comes from taking the clarithromycin."

sickinidaho (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

"I completed a course of Clarithromyxin/Amoxicillin/Omeperazole last night, from day two of this seven day course, I have been getting this metallic taste in my mouth. Has anyone experienced the same and when will it go away?"

Cajjio May 2, 2016

"Started taking amoxycillon, omeprazole, and clarithromycin to treat H. Pylori. Worst side effects I have ever experienced. By day 4, I had severe diarrhea (looked like coffee grounds), nausea, dizziness, couldn't sleep, would have waves of burning through my chest and into my head. I went to the ER because my breathing was labored and I had such severe diarrhea. I also developed something oral thrush so my tongue felt so raw. My doctor finally told me to stop taking it. The side effects were extremely miserable and torturous."

H pylori (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2016

"I was found positive for h pylori bacteria and doctor suggested me for clarithromycin, I must admit it was horrible experience of my life .Indigestion, fatigue, metallic test, loss of memory, itching, are some of the common side effects I have experienced. Although it is useful in killing bacteria. This is my 7th day of medication. I will update it more about experience after few days."

yankie12 January 1, 2016

"I was on Clarithromycin and Amoxillin ( proton pump inhibitor omeprazole) for a week (h.pylori). First four days felt like hell, then my body slightly adjusted to the poison and it was easier, also I found that I can relieve the horrible bitter sewage like taste in my mouth with a chewing gum. Once I took two Amoxillin 1000mg tablets instead of Amox. Clarithromycin, there were zero effects, while with clarithromycin added comes the horrible taste in mouth, dizziness and general ill feeling. I was dying few hours after taking my final dose of those antibiotics, had to call an ambulance, felt like my heart was stopping, they pumped me with something and I survived, one star above 1 because I can still write this review 2 days after last dose"

Valters. (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2015

"I took it with amoxicillin 500 twice a day for 7 days after 2 days I had abdominal cramp but after finishing the treatment my stomach pain gone completely but abdominal cramp , indigestion ,nausea, motion sickness, heart burn continues until now 20 days after finishing it. I admitted to hospital last week because of severe upper abdominal pain, every test and scan was normal. I will never take this medicine at all. I was dying really. Still cannot study and go university after one month."

Nagi July 25, 2015

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I have terrible anxiety and was very afraid to take biaxin because I'd never taken it before. I worry about crazy things like having an anaphylactic reaction to medications, throat swelling shut, not being able to breathe, hives ect. I was on a triple antibiotic treatment of Biaxin, Flagyl, and Prilosec twice a day with Protonix taken alone every morning. I always ate yogurt twice a day with the medication as well as a meal so I my stomach wouldn't hurt or be upset. I never took the medication without food as instructed so I never had any stomach problems at all. The only side effect I had was an odd taste in my mouth but it wasn't overwhelming or bothersome."

TrisKal July 11, 2015

"I'm taking 500mg of clar. med along with 1,000mG amoxicillan to treat stomach bacterial infection (2x daily). I've experienced no side of amox. but clar. is making my sinuses drip with an awful med taste that creeps up into my mouth and along sides of my tongue. Strange, but hopeful :). No other side effects. In fact I feel good after taking my dose:)"

Stefany04 July 3, 2015

"I tested positive for H. Pylori bacteria causing a stomach ulcer. Day one on this stuff was brutal. I was in so much pain/ nausea that I got sent home from work and scheduled an appointment with a GI Dr. Today is much better, but I need to constantly have something easy in my stomach to not feel sick. I immediately got the metallic taste on my mouth and get a bit cotton-mouthy at night. Otherwise, no other major side effects."

HT25 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

"I'm taking this medicine apart of a triple antibiotic therapy. It makes me so miserable that I feel like I'm dying. I hope it gets better but it sucks. I can't wait until I can throw the empty bottle away."

Couurrtnicole March 20, 2015

"Terrible taste in my mouth from this medication! It also dries you out! One of my chief complaints before being prescribed this med was a bad taste in my mouth. It was found to be from H Plylori. I do feel better in the stomach due to this medication but the horrible taste is way nasty!"

rocket5 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2015

"I have taken clarithromycin on two separate occasions for treatment of Helicobacter Pylori both times. One time was approximately 7 years ago and then again about 3 years ago. I am about to start another round along with amoxicillin and bismuth, which is Pepto Bismol. Clarithromycin leaves a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I am not looking forward to taking it again. The only thing that seemed to relieve this momentarily was chocolate. I kept Hershey's kisses with me all the time. I would even have to get up in the middle of the night and eat one. The taste was so bad that I couldn't even go back to sleep. A nurse told me that she had heard this worked. After eradication, try Oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, and tumeric daily."

happyredhead (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2014

"My first day and I got nausea and runs and I got a little pain in my neck and shoulder."

helpp mee January 26, 2014

"Taking the PrevPak which is a mixture of clarithromycin, amoxicillin and Prevacid. When take the night time dose of the medications I experience metallic taste which lasts for awhile. In the morning I do not notice the metallic taste. I will start to try full meal and chocolate to see if the taste is not so obvious. Also going to get the big red gum cinnamon flavor and keep gum at my bedside when wake up to chew the gum. Grapefruit should not mixed with the antibiotic as it interacts with lots of antibiotics and medications."

Tisha79 January 2, 2012

"Excellent medicine for H-pylori eradication and lower respiratory tract related diseases."

doctorismail December 5, 2009

"10 day run to get rid of H-pylori. In that 10 days I seem to be one that experienced negative side effects but continued on for the eventual benefit "for me". I experienced extreme fatigue, ringing in ears, forgetfulness, migraine headaches, nasty taste/smell. Had thrush at day 7 and day 10 is here. Feel like I was hit by a truck. Have follow-up to see if H-pylori is gone, will come back to update."

cmp August 6, 2009