User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 51 medications used in the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Helicobacter Pylori Infection

"Was prescribed Amoxycillin (500mg 2 x 2 daily);Clarithromycin (500g 2x daily) and Esomeprazole (40mg 2x daily) for my H pylori. Started taking on Monday. Felt terrible with nausea, brain fog; worst taste ever in my mouth, fatigue and general insecurity. Thursday 4.45am went to ER as I thought I was in serious state. Discharged 2 hrs later as high BP had reduced, blood chemistry all normal. Diagnosis: probable virus . My local doctor said stop taking all three drugs. Had difficulty in locating alternative. Finally prescribed metronidazole (400mg 3x daily); omeprazole (20mg 1x daily); and bismuth subsalicylate (120mg); tetracycline (500mg). Last two items have had to be made up my compounding chemist. Any feedback on this alternative??"

AussieAl May 5, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am so scared right now I am supposed to start this treatment tonight. I feel way too anxious to do so."

EglaAmelia (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on 3 different antibiotics, this one included for almost a week now. It's honestly been brutal. I've also been using probiotics to try to replenish the good bacteria in the digestive track so this way I don't end up in the hospital from the combination of this medicine and the amoxicillin. Definitely going to have to try the orange juice because soda doesn't appear to lessen the gross cotton mouth and metallic taste in my mouth."

ThisGuyDerp April 27, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on day 14 of taking this medicine, my last day. I'm taking all 3, amox and omeprazole as well for this bacteria which got worse after a strong antibiotic that I never should have been prescribed. My experience with this drug has been positive, yes it does leave an metallic taste, I'm on a 14 day treatment. I take 4 amoxicillin a day, two in morning 2 at night, I take 2 of this drug one in morning one at night and 1 omeprazole a day. I have not had any bad reactions to it and seems to working just fine. I go back to retest March 29, I hope and pray its gone and never to return. I'm going to do a juice detox for about 3 weeks to cleanse my system afterwards."

Cherryhill (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am on the 6th day of my treatment for H.Pylori. And, it is true that the combination of Amoxicillin, clarithromycin and Nexium brings a bitter taste to your taste but believe me, it's worth it. I am happy for getting diagnosed early and getting well soon."

Anonymous January 5, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed Amox-Clarith-Omeprazol for 7 days for my h pylori. Before taking these antibiotics, I read these forums to learn of other people's experiences, and it SCARED ME! So much!!. My understanding is that this combi has 80% effectiveness on h pylori (which I've been suffering from for 10 years undiagnosed). My experience of these drugs: awful metallic taste in the mouth .. that's it!!! I'm on day 2, have had no stomach problems, in fact I think I feel better. My message is: for those who are about to start these medications; PLEASE don't be scared, it's worth it to be cured. Try it, if it's really unbearable, then stop them, but try them, for me they really aren't bad. I'm just hoping I'm part of the 80% and they've worked for me!"

NatKing84 November 23, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started my first dosage of 20mg Omeprazole/ 500g Clarithromycin/ 1000mg amoxicilin (twice daily) for H.Pylori treatment. First 1/2 hour already can feel a lot of stuff is brewing within. Will update later."

dibble313 October 6, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"On day 1 second dose I feel horrible. Eases off a little then cramps up so bad this medicine is stupid I really hope it works if not I'm going herbal."

Xtina404 September 30, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had bad side effects with this medicine so I called my doctor and stopped it my doctor told me that the benefits from the medicine outweighs the side effects so I went back on the medicine and I found out that eating with medicine helps with the belly pains and orange juice takes away the metallic taste"

TheillOne (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The first day was terrible, I had the headaches, nausea, general ill feeling, neck and shoulder pain, eyes pain, this happens every other day. Also bitter taste. Thankfully am on the ninth day and I pray it clears the pylori. Cause I can't do it again. Scary experience, oh yes heat flushes as well"

Surfy July 3, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Sadly I'm only on day 1 of this medicine combine with amoxcillin and Lansoprazole and it's hell i got extreme dizziness I feel so slow with thinking my stomach is burning few minutes after the drugs and I got bad diheroea. The symptoms start to decrease few hrs after first dose but return when I take my second dose. Never again will I take this antibiotic and I have 6 days left "

HurtsSoBad (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The side effects of this medication were unbearable to the point where I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish the whole 10 day course. It left a disgusting metal taste in my mouth for HOURS. Strong nausea started on day 2 or so, but subsided around day 5. It can be best described almost like morning sickness a pregnant woman would have. On day 7 it actually gave me acid reflux, which was worrying since I thought the medication wasn't working. I stuck with it and made it to the tenth day, words can't describe the happiness I felt throwing the pill bottle away. As horrible as it was, got retested and H. Pylori is officially gone!"

SBchic June 1, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It's too early to tell yet regarding the effectiveness of the eradication protocol, but the taste in my mouth, bloating, and overall chronic Nassau feel is horrible. I'm somewhat relived that I am not the only one experiencing these adverse reactions from the protocol. I do feel positive knowing that I'm getting rid of this horrible bacteria, because I've been so sick for almost 2 months. Thanks for the helpful tips on what to use to help with the taste that comes from taking the clarithromycin."

sickinidaho (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I completed a course of Clarithromyxin/Amoxicillin/Omeperazole last night, from day two of this seven day course, I have been getting this metallic taste in my mouth. Has anyone experienced the same and when will it go away?"

Cajjio May 2, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking amoxycillon, omeprazole, and clarithromycin to treat H. Pylori. Worst side effects I have ever experienced. By day 4, I had severe diarrhea (looked like coffee grounds), nausea, dizziness, couldn't sleep, would have waves of burning through my chest and into my head. I went to the ER because my breathing was labored and I had such severe diarrhea. I also developed something oral thrush so my tongue felt so raw. My doctor finally told me to stop taking it. The side effects were extremely miserable and torturous."

H pylori (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was found positive for h pylori bacteria and doctor suggested me for clarithromycin, I must admit it was horrible experience of my life .Indigestion, fatigue, metallic test, loss of memory, itching, are some of the common side effects I have experienced. Although it is useful in killing bacteria. This is my 7th day of medication. I will update it more about experience after few days."

yankie12 January 1, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Clarithromycin and Amoxillin ( proton pump inhibitor omeprazole) for a week (h.pylori). First four days felt like hell, then my body slightly adjusted to the poison and it was easier, also I found that I can relieve the horrible bitter sewage like taste in my mouth with a chewing gum. Once I took two Amoxillin 1000mg tablets instead of Amox. Clarithromycin, there were zero effects, while with clarithromycin added comes the horrible taste in mouth, dizziness and general ill feeling. I was dying few hours after taking my final dose of those antibiotics, had to call an ambulance, felt like my heart was stopping, they pumped me with something and I survived, one star above 1 because I can still write this review 2 days after last dose"

Valters. (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2015

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took it with amoxicillin 500 twice a day for 7 days after 2 days I had abdominal cramp but after finishing the treatment my stomach pain gone completely but abdominal cramp , indigestion ,nausea, motion sickness, heart burn continues until now 20 days after finishing it. I admitted to hospital last week because of severe upper abdominal pain, every test and scan was normal. I will never take this medicine at all. I was dying really. Still cannot study and go university after one month."

Nagi July 25, 2015

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I have terrible anxiety and was very afraid to take biaxin because I'd never taken it before. I worry about crazy things like having an anaphylactic reaction to medications, throat swelling shut, not being able to breathe, hives ect. I was on a triple antibiotic treatment of Biaxin, Flagyl, and Prilosec twice a day with Protonix taken alone every morning. I always ate yogurt twice a day with the medication as well as a meal so I my stomach wouldn't hurt or be upset. I never took the medication without food as instructed so I never had any stomach problems at all. The only side effect I had was an odd taste in my mouth but it wasn't overwhelming or bothersome."

TrisKal July 11, 2015

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm taking 500mg of clar. med along with 1,000mG amoxicillan to treat stomach bacterial infection (2x daily). I've experienced no side of amox. but clar. is making my sinuses drip with an awful med taste that creeps up into my mouth and along sides of my tongue. Strange, but hopeful :). No other side effects. In fact I feel good after taking my dose:)"

Stefany04 July 3, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I tested positive for H. Pylori bacteria causing a stomach ulcer. Day one on this stuff was brutal. I was in so much pain/ nausea that I got sent home from work and scheduled an appointment with a GI Dr. Today is much better, but I need to constantly have something easy in my stomach to not feel sick. I immediately got the metallic taste on my mouth and get a bit cotton-mouthy at night. Otherwise, no other major side effects."

HT25 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm taking this medicine apart of a triple antibiotic therapy. It makes me so miserable that I feel like I'm dying. I hope it gets better but it sucks. I can't wait until I can throw the empty bottle away."

Couurrtnicole March 20, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Terrible taste in my mouth from this medication! It also dries you out! One of my chief complaints before being prescribed this med was a bad taste in my mouth. It was found to be from H Plylori. I do feel better in the stomach due to this medication but the horrible taste is way nasty!"

rocket5 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2015

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken clarithromycin on two separate occasions for treatment of Helicobacter Pylori both times. One time was approximately 7 years ago and then again about 3 years ago. I am about to start another round along with amoxicillin and bismuth, which is Pepto Bismol. Clarithromycin leaves a horrible metallic taste in my mouth. I am not looking forward to taking it again. The only thing that seemed to relieve this momentarily was chocolate. I kept Hershey's kisses with me all the time. I would even have to get up in the middle of the night and eat one. The taste was so bad that I couldn't even go back to sleep. A nurse told me that she had heard this worked. After eradication, try Oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, and tumeric daily."

happyredhead (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2014

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My first day and I got nausea and runs and I got a little pain in my neck and shoulder."

helpp mee January 26, 2014