User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori Infection.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Helicobacter Pylori Infection

"I'm on day 4 of a combo of clarithromycin, amoxicilln and omeprazole. I stumbled across this forum and lots of scary side effects. As a few have said I've only had the awful taste in my mouth, nothing else. After 2 days I feel great!! Like my old self . Everyone has different side effects but the people that have bad ones are more likely to comment. Stay positive. These tabs will work."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2018

"Was started on Clarithromycin 500mg 2x/day, amoxicillin 500mg 2caps 2x/day, and lansoprazole 30 mg 2x/day for h. Pylori. My insurance didn’t cover the kit so they split the meds. Insurance still didn’t cover lansoprazole so I used OTC 15mg 2caps 2x/day. My heart burn and acid reflux was awful before starting these meds; I had low appetite, and lost weight, and had trouble going to bed even with antacid. I'm on 2.5 days of therapy. Medication is horrible. Got bone pain, fatigue, and throat/chest discomfort after my 1st dose and side effects continues. Terrible metallic taste most of the day, so I chew gum to mask the taste. I will keep enduring because symptomatic H. Pylori can cause severe condition including miscarriages and stomach cancer if left untreated. I don’t think the triple therapy side effects will be worse than a chemo for stomach cancer. So I encourage to take this medicine if you can tolerate it the side effects."

Hope (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2018

"I was diagnosed with H pylori and malaria weeks ago. It is ahorrid experience, fainted once. Was prescribed coartem ( artemether and lumefantrine ) and paracetamol for 3 days. Clarithromicin 2 weeks, Amoxil for 2 weeks, Zapazol for 2 weeks. At first dose up till 3 days I felt it was getting worse. I felt sick and extremely dizzy and bitter taste and was feeling extremely bloated with bad headaches but got better. Now I'm on the 9th day and the bitter taste is getting severe plus headaches. Been online ruling out reasons before I found this thread. I thought I was pregnant even if I knew I wasn't if you know what I mean. Lol. I suspected the acid reflux, bile reflux. I don't know anymore, it's really ruining my well being. Although this bitter taste has been even before I started the meds but it's worse now and I believed the previous bitter taste went away because it was the malaria. I don't know what to do. What do you guys advice me to do."

Zoe February 27, 2018

"Was prescribed Amoxycillin 1000 MG, Clarithromycin 500 MG 14 TAB, and NEXIUM 40 MG twice a day , for my H pylori. I'm on day 10 and I have another 4 days. My abdominal pain improved after one day of treatment. but I've got a lot of side effect : Disgusting metal taste, sore throat, light fever, headache, diarrhea. Swollen lymph nodes and cough. Not at the same time each day had side effects changed."

Daniellllllle (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2018

"Got diagnosed in November 2017 after heartburn for two years and being on esomeprazole. I finally had an endoscopy which turned out to be the wrong diagnosis. (Hiatus hernia) then had to wait nearly a year to be referred back into the system for another endoscopy only to be told there’s no evidence of hiatus hernia and that’s its h. Plyori . I didn’t know what it was went on the triple therapy with metronidazole, amoxicillin and omezprazole didn’t work now it’s nearly March 18 and I’m back on the antibiotics for two weeks this time clathromycin, amoxicillin and lansoprazole day 2 ok but probably not really kicked in yet but hopefully better than metronidazole as last time was so ill on that drug went to Hospital twice and first time called an ambulance so I really don’t want to go through that again!"

Sunflower78 (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2018

"Seriously y’all, do not even take this! You will feel like you’re dying from the bad nausea, can’t eat, can’t sleep, severe abdominal pain, headache. My stomach and symptoms felt much better before I started taking this horrid drug."

Coourtyann (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2017

"My husband had h pylori I was scared so I got my self tested I was positive I had no symptoms I took all 4 medication 2 days of treatment I felt sick so I stop taking the omeprazole I found out that was the cause of making me sick and I took the other three medication with a glass of sweet tea that help a lot with all those pills I had to take so my advice is to not take your medication with water take it with a soda juice tea or anything u prefer it helps with the taste had no problem after that .. they say it's not contagious but I seriously think it is"

H pylori August 28, 2017

"If you're reading this post then odds are you been scouring the internet freaking out and learning about h plyori....and coming across so many negative reviews about the medication. Look guys, you've got a bad infection that basically has 2 layer of protection. You have to attach this bad bug hard and heavy to bust through and kill it. I'm on day 7! And yes the first day I was scared because of the new feelings in my body....weakness, somewhat bad taste in mouth, a little brain fog...but it is NOT THAT BAD! By day 3 I felt like I'm cured! After the first day it gets easier and easier, just take with food and when the side effects show up be calm and cool and relax, if you just relax it's simple. "

Mike Monroe (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2017

"I am on day three of this thing. I've missed this mornings dose because I felt deathly nauseous and depressed as thus stuff has me bedridden. I called in sick today. I work from home anyway, but I called in sick. I didn't even want to get the laptop from the living room to email I was that tired and lifeless from about 11 hours of "almost going to vomit" nausea. This stuff is brutal. I'm sitting here looking at the next dose scared to take it, but if thus thing works then its the possibility of a lifetime of normality. Weighing up the odds of four more days of hell but if it doesn't work then next treatment will probably be more brutal. My mother had this triple therapy and has only complained of slight nausea and bad taste .So nauseous&depressed:("

Bushell79 July 7, 2017

"Was prescribed Amoxycillin (500mg 2 x 2 daily);Clarithromycin (500g 2x daily) and Esomeprazole (40mg 2x daily) for my H pylori. Started taking on Monday. Felt terrible with nausea, brain fog; worst taste ever in my mouth, fatigue and general insecurity. Thursday 4.45am went to ER as I thought I was in serious state. Discharged 2 hrs later as high BP had reduced, blood chemistry all normal. Diagnosis: probable virus . My local doctor said stop taking all three drugs. Had difficulty in locating alternative. Finally prescribed metronidazole (400mg 3x daily); omeprazole (20mg 1x daily); and bismuth subsalicylate (120mg); tetracycline (500mg). Last two items have had to be made up my compounding chemist. Any feedback on this alternative??"

AussieAl May 5, 2017

"I am so scared right now I am supposed to start this treatment tonight. I feel way too anxious to do so."

EglaAmelia (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2017

"Have been on 3 different antibiotics, this one included for almost a week now. It's honestly been brutal. I've also been using probiotics to try to replenish the good bacteria in the digestive track so this way I don't end up in the hospital from the combination of this medicine and the amoxicillin. Definitely going to have to try the orange juice because soda doesn't appear to lessen the gross cotton mouth and metallic taste in my mouth."

ThisGuyDerp April 27, 2017

"I'm on day 14 of taking this medicine, my last day. I'm taking all 3, amox and omeprazole as well for this bacteria which got worse after a strong antibiotic that I never should have been prescribed. My experience with this drug has been positive, yes it does leave an metallic taste, I'm on a 14 day treatment. I take 4 amoxicillin a day, two in morning 2 at night, I take 2 of this drug one in morning one at night and 1 omeprazole a day. I have not had any bad reactions to it and seems to working just fine. I go back to retest March 29, I hope and pray its gone and never to return. I'm going to do a juice detox for about 3 weeks to cleanse my system afterwards."

Cherryhill (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

"I am on the 6th day of my treatment for H.Pylori. And, it is true that the combination of Amoxicillin, clarithromycin and Nexium brings a bitter taste to your taste but believe me, it's worth it. I am happy for getting diagnosed early and getting well soon."

Anonymous January 5, 2017

"I was prescribed Amox-Clarith-Omeprazol for 7 days for my h pylori. Before taking these antibiotics, I read these forums to learn of other people's experiences, and it SCARED ME! So much!!. My understanding is that this combi has 80% effectiveness on h pylori (which I've been suffering from for 10 years undiagnosed). My experience of these drugs: awful metallic taste in the mouth .. that's it!!! I'm on day 2, have had no stomach problems, in fact I think I feel better. My message is: for those who are about to start these medications; PLEASE don't be scared, it's worth it to be cured. Try it, if it's really unbearable, then stop them, but try them, for me they really aren't bad. I'm just hoping I'm part of the 80% and they've worked for me!"

NatKing84 November 23, 2016

"Started my first dosage of 20mg Omeprazole/ 500g Clarithromycin/ 1000mg amoxicilin (twice daily) for H.Pylori treatment. First 1/2 hour already can feel a lot of stuff is brewing within. Will update later."

dibble313 October 6, 2016

"On day 1 second dose I feel horrible. Eases off a little then cramps up so bad this medicine is stupid I really hope it works if not I'm going herbal."

Xtina404 September 30, 2016

"I had bad side effects with this medicine so I called my doctor and stopped it my doctor told me that the benefits from the medicine outweighs the side effects so I went back on the medicine and I found out that eating with medicine helps with the belly pains and orange juice takes away the metallic taste"

TheillOne (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2016

"The first day was terrible, I had the headaches, nausea, general ill feeling, neck and shoulder pain, eyes pain, this happens every other day. Also bitter taste. Thankfully am on the ninth day and I pray it clears the pylori. Cause I can't do it again. Scary experience, oh yes heat flushes as well"

Surfy July 3, 2016

"Sadly I'm only on day 1 of this medicine combine with amoxcillin and Lansoprazole and it's hell i got extreme dizziness I feel so slow with thinking my stomach is burning few minutes after the drugs and I got bad diheroea. The symptoms start to decrease few hrs after first dose but return when I take my second dose. Never again will I take this antibiotic and I have 6 days left "

HurtsSoBad (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2016

"The side effects of this medication were unbearable to the point where I thought I wasn't going to be able to finish the whole 10 day course. It left a disgusting metal taste in my mouth for HOURS. Strong nausea started on day 2 or so, but subsided around day 5. It can be best described almost like morning sickness a pregnant woman would have. On day 7 it actually gave me acid reflux, which was worrying since I thought the medication wasn't working. I stuck with it and made it to the tenth day, words can't describe the happiness I felt throwing the pill bottle away. As horrible as it was, got retested and H. Pylori is officially gone!"

SBchic June 1, 2016

"It's too early to tell yet regarding the effectiveness of the eradication protocol, but the taste in my mouth, bloating, and overall chronic Nassau feel is horrible. I'm somewhat relived that I am not the only one experiencing these adverse reactions from the protocol. I do feel positive knowing that I'm getting rid of this horrible bacteria, because I've been so sick for almost 2 months. Thanks for the helpful tips on what to use to help with the taste that comes from taking the clarithromycin."

sickinidaho (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

"I completed a course of Clarithromyxin/Amoxicillin/Omeperazole last night, from day two of this seven day course, I have been getting this metallic taste in my mouth. Has anyone experienced the same and when will it go away?"

Cajjio May 2, 2016

"Started taking amoxycillon, omeprazole, and clarithromycin to treat H. Pylori. Worst side effects I have ever experienced. By day 4, I had severe diarrhea (looked like coffee grounds), nausea, dizziness, couldn't sleep, would have waves of burning through my chest and into my head. I went to the ER because my breathing was labored and I had such severe diarrhea. I also developed something oral thrush so my tongue felt so raw. My doctor finally told me to stop taking it. The side effects were extremely miserable and torturous."

H pylori (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2016

"I was found positive for h pylori bacteria and doctor suggested me for clarithromycin, I must admit it was horrible experience of my life .Indigestion, fatigue, metallic test, loss of memory, itching, are some of the common side effects I have experienced. Although it is useful in killing bacteria. This is my 7th day of medication. I will update it more about experience after few days."

yankie12 January 1, 2016