User Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Bronchitis

Also known as: Biaxin XL

Clarithromycin has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 118 ratings for the treatment of Bronchitis. 34% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 93 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin

Shuckers March 29, 2017

“You people are obviously not sick enough to be grateful you have a medicine that works. It's not even close to that bad. Take it with food. And you won't even have side effects. Take pain meds. And brush your teeth. This Medicine is the best and does what it needs to do. Stop complaining it could be worse you could die.”

Joe Smithy · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2017

“I have just finished a 7 day course of 500mg tablets, twice a day for a chest infection which two other antibiotics failed to clear. This antibiotic worked much faster than others I have tried, with symptoms improving rapidly after just one day. I had no side effects at all, not even the strange taste. My wife has also had a course of the same drug in the past, again with no side effects. Reading through these comments you would think that practically everyone has adverse side effects from this drug, but in actual fact it is a low percentage (under 10% according to the packet). I think more people tend to report bad side effects, than none hence the large number here. Don't be put off by this.”

Liz2222 February 12, 2017

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “I had to leave a review for this medicine because I consider it to be a wonder drug. I am prone to bronchitis and I've tried everything: amoxicillin, augmentin, ampicillin, z-pack, omnicef, etc. Biaxin is the only--and I mean ONLY--drug that will work on my bronchitis. The worst side effect for me is hunger to the point where I feel like my stomach is eating itself, but I'll gladly temporarily put up with that rather than cough myself to death! This is an amazing medication--it gets the job done when nothing else will.”

reviewer3434 October 11, 2013

“I have bronchitis and they prescribed Clarithromycin. I have been taking them for 4 days now (I need to take them 10 days). I feel often dizzy, have headaches, very nauseous. My mouth always taste gross, like a metallic taste, I often have to rinse my mouth with water because of the bad taste (even at night I have to get up and rinse my mouth because the taste makes me nauseous). Just wanted to share.”

fitzle March 28, 2014

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “I was full of itises: bronchitis, sinusitis and pharyngitis and felt miserable. Doc prescribed Biaxin and I started to be on the mend in a couple of days after starting treatment. On day 3 of taking it I felt good enough to exercise (not super intense, but enough to at least get the blood flowing and feel like a human being again.) Biaxin has been hard on my gut. It helps to eat a lot of food before taking it. If my stomach starts hurting or cramping, I eat more food and it helps relieve it. Unexpected side effect: Biaxin gave me energy and increased aggression/agitation. It did what it was supposed to do and knocked out my infection. All in all, worth it for me.”

Sinus issue then bronchitus December 2, 2015

“I was prescribed clarithromycin and Prednisone for my sinus infection and bronchitis. I was told by my pharmacist to take the clarithromycin with food. Then she told me to eat something like Activa yogurt about 2 hours after taking the clarithromycin because clarithromycin will tend to kill the good bacteria in your stomach which is what brings on the diarrhea many complain of. The activa then helps rebuild the good bacteria in your stomach. On my third day and feeling a little better, and never any diarrhea. I attribute the good experience to good pharmacist suggestions.I make sure to eat food and the Activa yogurt 2 hours later, and no side effects yet and I am feeling on the mend,”

Leemsu · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2014

“It is efficient for bronchitis and does the work better than any other anti-biotic, it is fast, but it made me sleepy, weak, dizzy, drowsy, vomitish because of the metallic taste and you get some bloating and diarrhea sometimes. You also get very weak from it that you want just to lie down, perhaps it's from the big fight between the medicine and the virus/bacteria!! I want just to mention that tea with mint helped with the bad taste, 2 tablets of Panadol/Tylenol daily for the drowsiness, and vitamin C daily to get some energy.”

Allergic to Everything · Taken for less than 1 month September 21, 2018

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “After suffering what seemed like a never ending flu, I was put on Biaxin. I have always been sensitive to medications and suffered severe allergic reactions that put me in ER. So I have never been a fan of antibiotics and avoid them unless on the verge of death...which I definitely was this time around. Biaxin gave me a horrible, bitter taste that was constant and could Not be eliminated or masked by any food. I did religiously eat yogurt while taking it so I did not have any stomach upset. I noticed a steady improvement within 48 hours. The horrible, bitter taste lasted the entire 10 days, but nothing I couldn't put up with knowing I was improving and death was no longer imminent. My Specialist said I had a bacteria related to Legionnaires, so I pretty much owe my life to this antibiotic. It is now my "go- to" antibiotic if it is determined I need treatment for any bacterial infection. Biaxin pulled me thru and I am so thankful they made this medicine!”

Sally May 5, 2020

“Throwing these clarithromycin in the garbage!!! Got extremely hungry, sweating and anxiety like I have never felt before. Felt really weak and like I was going insane. Lasted about 7 minutes and was so relieved when it was over. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to take another pill again.”

Stardust 2567 January 10, 2014

“I had a horrible sore throat and pain in all my body, after using the first tablet, I noticed the difference. By night I had no sore throat and no muscle pain. It worked amazingly fast BUT the side effect I experienced was extreme bitterness in my mouth which caused me to wake up in the middle of night & wash my mouth, eat some fruit & wash again & went back to sleep but the next morning I woke up with the same taste in my mouth & it continues the same way all along. I also experienced some nausea.”

Wheezy 77 y.o. · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2017

“Was prescribed this after a 5-day, then a 7-day course of a different antibiotic each time led to bronchial symptoms (with increased body temperatures) never fully going away and strongly reasserting themselves in a few days. The 500mg tablets are a pain to swallow (you need lots of water to flush them all the way down) and, as most respondents report, cause a permanent nasty bitter taste in the mouth. However, by Day 3 I was feeling much better and now mid-way through Day 4 coughing nearly gone and phlegm much reduced. Temperature also back to normal. In short, feel practically ready resume working.”

Mrs. Right · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2014

“My ailment wasn't actually bronchitis, but tracheal irritation - it wasn't in my lungs. I started taking it after being exhausted from coughing. I had diarrhea after the first day, because I took the first dose too late after breakfast. Since then, I took it in the middle of breakfast and haven't had any GI symptoms since. My cough and chest showed an almost immediate improvement! What a difference! I have also been limiting my sugar intake (to prevent a yeast infection), eating yogurt every day and taking acidophilus to prevent further bowel irritation. So far so good. I have 4 days left. I noticed a bitter taste in my mouth about 2 days ago. I felt reassured after reading some of the comments here that it is a side effect.”

Melinda November 4, 2019

“Have been taking this med clarithromycin for bronchitis. The metallic taste for me is bearable. However, I am experiencing a heart rate that fluctuates and continues to be higher than normal. I know this because of my Fitbit. This med gives me anxiety and makes me agitated. Can't wait to finish it.”

kardav2 August 11, 2008

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “My doctor gave this to me for my brochitis, it seems to be working fairly well. The only thing is it seems to be making me really sleeping. I have done extensive research on this drug and can't find this as a possible side effect.”

Anonymous November 18, 2014

“I recently started on Biaxin. My doctor prescribed it for my bronchitis and sinus infection. The antibiotic works great, after about a day of taking it I felt a million times better. It's a really strong antibiotic though which has caused some awful side effects including bad taste in mouth, nervousness and upset stomach /nausea . If you have to take this I suggest eating before taking it and carrying around mints for the taste in mouth. Good luck!”

Leisl Findley · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2017

“I have always been vulnerable to bronchitis and pneumonia. This antibiotic is the only thing that works. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth yes but I know that after 10 days I will be done and better. Before I was prescribed this, I would often have to take more then 10 days of antibiotics in order to get better.”

i have gotten bronchitis a few April 19, 2016

Biaxin XL (clarithromycin): “I have gotten bronchitis a few times. I have tried many other antibiotics, and none worked, biaxin is the only antibiotic I can take that actually works, personally the only side effects I ever experienced is a mild metallic taste in mouth, but it is not much of a big deal”

KillerRevised · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2013

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “Doc told me I had bronchitis, first time on Biaxin, after two days still have the bitter taste in the mouth, sleeping like crazy, increased heart rate, but overall medicine seems to be working great after two days, good alternative to amoxicillin.”

EALFife December 26, 2015

“After an 8 week cold, 3 weeks a of bad cough and generally feeling under the weather and out of breath even on the gentlest of slopes, I went to the doctor who diagnosed bronchitis. I was put on a 5 day course of Clarithromycin 500 mg pills and a 10 day burst of Prednisalone starting at 30 mg. Even after one antibiotic I felt relief. I had no side effects whatsoever. I maybe should mention I have an autoimminune disease, PMR, and take a very low dose of steroids and also Omezrapol (a gastric resistant capsule prescribed for people taking steroids). I live in Scotland where all prescriptions are free.”

London Johnboy February 16, 2015

“This seems to be dealing with the bronchitis after 2 days so I feel better with only a residual phlegmy cough. The side effects have been constipation at first, then very loose mucus laden stools. Much stomach gurgling and vicious wind. Bitter, metallic taste in my mouth, especially night mornings. Dreadful nightmares since taking this medication.”

boxerboo October 25, 2009

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “Med Fast diagnosed me with just flu symptoms and was send home with just an Albuterol prescription. My Primary Care Doctor called me same day and from hearing my voice and telling him my symptoms, my Doctor immediately prescribed me Biaxin 500MG 1 pill 2 x a day for 7 days. Within hours, fever and aches went away and I remain this way. Obviously, bacterial infection somewhere. Biaxin is a wonderful medicine.”

Anonymous December 24, 2010

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “I have been on Biaxin for 3 days now. I have very loose bowel movements, horrible taste in my mouth, and I can't sleep. I have been eating tootsie roll pops to combat the bad taste in my mouth. I am going to stop Biaxin immediately and call my Doctor first thing in the morning. Up at 2:00 am now, wide awake with diarrhea and a tootsie roll pop!”

AJ · Taken for less than 1 month April 16, 2019

“clarithromycin is an excellent drug. No stomach issues. Metallic taste in mouth but cough drops took care of that and frequent brushing of teeth. It worked quickly, with 24 hours I felt much better. I had an earlier antibiotic that did not work. Would definitely use this again.”

bunny rabbit · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2012

Biaxin (clarithromycin): “Stomach pains and bad taste. Drink plenty of water it helps the taste and stomach. I've had different reactions with Biaxin. Don't drink caffeine and take it. It will keep you awake and don't lay down in bed for 1 hour after taking. This all seems to help keep stimulation down so you can sleep.”

?...?...?...? April 14, 2013

Biaxin XL (clarithromycin): “Took it as soon as I got home from the doctor, 2 pills a day for 10 days but missed 2 doses when I thought I was better. A couple of days later I was sneezing like crazy and had a bad cough. Don't miss doses! Even when you think you're cured.”

Learn more about Bronchitis