User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 132 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Bronchitis

"Horrible taste in my mouth! It tastes like bitter grapefruit rinds. I'm also having some heart arrthymias so am probably going to stop taking this. Will call Dr tomorrow and request amoxicillin."

Ohioles (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2016

"Well ... I'm on day five thank god but have three more to go . I thought I was crazy and so did my family . This taste in my mouth is terrible it's in my throat too when I cough . It's bitter but more like hairspray lol . I noticed I was very tired all week but thought that's the flu and tonight I had a glass of wine with dinner and that's when the taste hit me . I thought the wine was bad but now it's been 6 hours and the taste !!! That's what's making me feel sick now . I have had a bit of the diarrhea and mild head aches .... Again thought flu but tonight it all changed and I have not had an appitite all week at all . Food is actually making me feel sick but this taste is way worst . Like terrible !!!!!! Anyone else taste hair spray ?"

Hairspray in my mouth taste !! (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

"poisonous taste in mouth can't sleep excessive sweating"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

"I will never even look at those pills again. Took in the morning, and by the evening every side effect hit me like a sledgehammer. Got a couple hours of sleep last night when I wasn't living in my bathroom and after experiencing the most disturbing dreams in my life I would rather have stayed awake. Who invented something so diabolical???"

Johnnygme November 29, 2016

"Prescribed Clarithromycin for bad chest infection. After taking the first tablet I felt nauseous and a really bitter taste in the mouth. This is day 5 out of 7 and the symptoms have not gone away. Also had diarrhoea on second day and constant gurgling and wind in the stomach. I have felt pretty awful the whole time. Persevering with medication as I am desperate to get rid of the awful chesty cough and feeling unwell but will never take it again. Since reading previous posts some say to eat before a dose and also have some yoghurt before and after. Wish there had been some better advice on the leaflet with this antibiotic. I have never felt this ill taking an antibiotic before, it feels like poison."

Elizapin November 9, 2016

"The Dr said I had a virus turning into Bronchitis. That night I started having a tingly numbness all over. Went to Hospital next day and they said a reaction to the med. They did some med in an IV. I'm still having trouble after almost a wk. They said it was the one day of med. I know not everyone is allergic, but be careful if u are sensitive. The numbness has moved to my face and extremely scary"

Flower15 October 28, 2016

"I have had 3 days of this medicine now and think I may have a slight improvement....very slight. The foul taste in the mouth is awful and my back aches if I do any easy household chores. My chest is still bad with a hacking productive cough. I feel exhausted unless I just sit still. this is the second type of antibiotics as the first did not help. I find it hard to fall asleep but wouldn't say I have insomnia thankfully and only mild tummy ache briefly so I seem to be fortunate that way. I am going to stay on them and cope with them somehow as I still hope they are doing the job behind the scenes where the infection is. Nevertheless a culture has come back clear so I don't know if that means its viral anyway and the tablets are pointless."

Anji78 October 6, 2016

"First off let me say I have allergies to most antibiotics I was placed on this generic form of biaxin. No side effects except for a gassy tummy with or without food no taste or dreams. Seems to being doing its job. I also received a small dose injection of a steroid. Now to get the nose to turn off. But as the saying going better out than in. In my experience the diarrhea is not a bad thing its forcing all the germs out of you. Though I have not had that reaction with this my go to antibiotic has always been the Z pack but I was always very dizzy on them. Try and hang in there after 10 days it will be well worth it. I mean your sick. No drug is a miracle drug. Get well soon y'all. Keep plenty of non caffeined drinks at bay."

Fedup6813 (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

"Started on tablets yesterday for Bronchitis, had been on another penicillin for sinus infection but still hadn't recovered 100% hence the Clarithromycin. I have had 3 x tablets so far and will not be taking anymore. I have been up since 2.00am and am exhausted but still can't sleep. I am not due to menstruate however am experiencing excessive bleeding and the metallic taste make me physically ill but the diarrhea and the stomach gurgling and cramps are so not worth it. I would prefer to have Bronchitis then the side effects from this drug, I only hope no permanent damage has been caused. Would strongly recommend anything BUT this medication."

#########77 September 24, 2016

"It's 2:45 am, I only Wish I could experience these odd dreams everyone's talking about... it's day one of this garbage antibiotic. I can not sleep, I feel like I did 50 lines of coke, I'm sweating, and my mother tastes like a change dispenser. Couldn't pay me to take a second dose, let alone 7 more days of this. No way. Calling Dr in the am for different antibiotic. This one is not worth it. I'm feeling very jittery and agitated. And the taste in my mouth is disgusting."

Artificialdream (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

"The first 5 doses were fine, helped with my bronchitis, felt a lot better. Day 6 & 7 I have been hullucinating. Thought someone was trying to break into my house last night. Swore I heard someone trying to open the front door. I locked all the doors in the house, turned on the outside lights and turned off the inside lights. I closed as many windows as possible without waking up my Mom and hid in my bathroom with a knife and my cellphone incase I needed to call the police. I was scared shitless. I almost had an anxiety attack, my heart was racing faster than ever before. I could hardly breathe and was shaking intensely. I dont feel right. I alerted my cats who roamed the house looking out the windows trying to see what I was so scared of.."

M.C.C.S (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I have been taking Biaxin for 3 days now and I dont know if my bronchitis is just completely horrible and its taking longer to work or if this just isnt for me? The taste it leaves in your mouth after taking it is horrendeous for about 12 hours. My stomach has been doing summer salts the entire 3 days so far and I think Im goin back to the Dr in the morning for another alternative. I cant sleep at all. Hate this stuff"

Anonymous May 26, 2016

"So far so good helping with my chest infection but I can't stand the constant bitter taste in my mouth. I have also been having problems sleeping and have had diarrhea, it's only day 2 so am now not sure if I should continue taking this medication."

Anonymous May 21, 2016

"Have a chest infection that will not go away so was prescribed these as my first antibiotic had not cleared it up. Day 1 and I think I am dying! Palpitations, shaking, tired , dry mouth after only one 500mg dose. I am now in panic mode and have rung the surgery to see what I do next. Hope this feeling goes away."

perriwinkle April 21, 2016

Biaxin XL (clarithromycin): "I have gotten bronchitis a few times. I have tried many other antibiotics, and none worked, biaxin is the only antibiotic I can take that actually works, personally the only side effects I ever experienced is a mild metallic taste in mouth, but it is not much of a big deal"

i have gotten bronchitis a few April 19, 2016

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I was prescribed Biaxin for bronchitis. I've taken three pills. I have an horrible taste in my mouth all the time along with severe dry mouth. My stomach is tossing and turning, making the loudest noises I've ever heard a stomach make! I haven't had problems with nausea/vomiting but the diarrhea from this is horrendous! On the second day of taking this I got this huge burst of energy and wanted to clean every inch of my house and rearrange each room! (sort of strange as I'm still coughing constantly and having a very hard time breathing) I'm also having trouble sleeping. I'm not sure that I will be taking anymore of these."

Amandafromtheblock April 6, 2016

"I was prescribed This for acute bronchitis. First day I took it I had a bad heavy headache one hour after, laid in bed played on my phone and kind of just fell asleep. It was fine, I was fine, little to no side effects. But vivid bad dream. I then take it before bed time 12 hours after first dose. Attempt to sleep, rolling back and forth, I cough and there's that taste that everyone talks about, no sleeping. Restless, light headed. So not worth it not taking my next doses after this, I want to get better but I'd like to not feel like this. Even though my cough is somewhat subsided, but I work 35-40 hours and it's not worth it."

Suezin April 5, 2016

"I have a bronchitis and the doctor prescribe me clarithromycin and im only at the second day of taking it bad nausea extreme bad taste in mouth severe gaz stomache discomfort and always need to pee im stopping this antibiotic right now and tomorow im gonna ask my doctor to change it the only thing i did find useful for the bad taste and it reduce it a bit is to chew excel gum but it dont last long hope next one is not gonna be that worst"

Katlove4 (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2016

"Well I'm on this medication because I have a little pneumonia on my upper left lobe. I have a funny taste in my mouth also and the dreams I have are awful. The first day I took this I had diarrea twice. At night for the first few days I could sleep and now it keeps me awake at night although I'm tired. I'm still coughing and I dont know if I should take cough medicine or not I have not any other side affect so far"

ldydi (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

"I was prescribed this medicine 4 days ago for a really bad case of bronchitis. I felt so weak and generally just awful. I was so glad that the doctor gave me some antibiotics to clear up the infection; he also gave me 2 inhalers to help open up my airways. I was so light headed and pale. On day three I had a glass of wine and thought I was going to die, I was very cold and lightheaded (don't drink alcohol). Apart from my stupidity I'm feeling a little better, still coughing when I lay down but better overall; but the side effects are just awful. Theres the taste, but I also feel kinda out of it, I can feel the drug in my blood stream. One minute I want to lay down and the next I'm hyperactive. 4 more days (1000mg daily :("

bettybeattie (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

"Thank Goodness I found this site as a person who avoids taking antibiotics I thought I was going mad. My doctor prescribed Clarithromycin after a ten day course of Amoxicillin failed to shift bad bronchitis. The vile bad taste in my mouth is with me most of the day and wakes me up at night it's so horrible! I have been alternating between insomnia with adrenaline rushes (just couldn't sleep whatever I did to try and relax) but then the next day, although felt exhausted I just couldn't sit still and cleaned the whole house! My eyes are dry and gritty but no tummy upsets. I usually have pro biotic drink each day though. I dream vividly all the time but had some awful scary nightmares with this anti biotic! Only three tablets left"

Wanttofeelwell (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

"After an 8 week cold, 3 weeks a of bad cough and generally feeling under the weather and out of breath even on the gentlest of slopes, I went to the doctor who diagnosed bronchitis. I was put on a 5 day course of Clarithromycin 500 mg pills and a 10 day burst of Prednisalone starting at 30 mg. Even after one antibiotic I felt relief. I had no side effects whatsoever. I maybe should mention I have an autoimminune disease, PMR, and take a very low dose of steroids and also Omezrapol (a gastric resistant capsule prescribed for people taking steroids). I live in Scotland where all prescriptions are free."

EALFife December 26, 2015

"I was prescribed clarithromycin and Prednisone for my sinus infection and bronchitis. I was told by my pharmacist to take the clarithromycin with food. Then she told me to eat something like Activa yogurt about 2 hours after taking the clarithromycin because clarithromycin will tend to kill the good bacteria in your stomach which is what brings on the diarrhea many complain of. The activa then helps rebuild the good bacteria in your stomach. On my third day and feeling a little better, and never any diarrhea. I attribute the good experience to good pharmacist suggestions.I make sure to eat food and the Activa yogurt 2 hours later, and no side effects yet and I am feeling on the mend,"

Sinus issue then bronchitus December 2, 2015

"This is my third day taking this antibiotic. It gave me really bad body aches and nausea. The third day I literally felt like I was dying. I always eat before I take it. I had to make myself throw up. My body was just going numb. It was sending shocking pains throughout my body. I was going in and out of consciousness. I highly don't recommend this medication. Everyone's bodies is different though. It was definitely not worth it for me."

_katyhewitt (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2015

"Every dose of this medicine has caused worse side effects. Extreme nausea, diarrhea, awful taste in my mouth, palpitations, fatigue, dizziness, shakes - the list goes on. Day 4, I couldn't move 2 steps without wanting the vomit, yet I had to literally sprint to the bathroom for my bowels. I actually had to call into work because I felt so ill. Ended up calling my doctor to get switched to a different antibiotic. Never, never, never again."

vickythomp117 October 20, 2015