User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Learn more about Clarithromycin.

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Bronchitis

"I only took this one time for an ear infection and water behind the eardrum. I took another antibiotic's k-pack that I reacted really well too and the pain in the ear was almost gone. Nevertheless, when I went back to the ENT he changed the prescription to this Clarithromycin. It made me so nauseous, I wasn't willing to risk taking it any more. I am not a "doctor going" person. I usually wait until my pain is really bad or I have had symptoms really long. I had water behind the eardrum and dulled hearing for 8 months before I went the first time. This antibiotic, like all antibiotics and medicines, work differently on different bodies because of chemistry. Great if this worked for you, but it definitely made me sick."

Foodforthought August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It's been 3 days and I CANNOT SLEEP AT ALL!!! I will stop using this!!"

gurljac July 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 1: bitter taste in my mouth after taking the first 500mg at night. Nauseous. Took it after a meal, then I felt sick after. Was able to sleep ok. Day 2: small rashes on my hand, legs, and neck. Not too many but still, they are rashes. Nauseous. Couldn't sleep at night. This was the first day of doing morning and night 500mg each. Coughed a bit in a span of one hour. Normally I cough for 2 hours when I haven't taken the antibiotics. Sleep was ok. Day 3: rashes, fast heart beat, shivering, feeling sick, feeling hot like having low grade fever, it is 247am and I am up. Feeling tired, my upper back hurts. Coughed a lot from 830pm-1230am. Fell asleep for a few minutes but woke up to the feeling of losing breath. Must be an allergic reaction"

Makaivilo July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I only have negative reviews for this drug. Avoid !!!! I started with a milder antibiotic finished the course but it relapsed with sinus & chest infection and so I was put on biaxin. My sinus took a month to go but the side effects I could not tolerate were - loss of sleep (NO SLEEP) , no appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, feeling depressed and emotional outbursts. I'm a very happy person & always around people but this medicine made me go into a shell. It took a lot of effort of my friends & family to get me back to my normal state of mind."

Kox May 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am on day 2 of this med bit am also on a steroid nasal spray, so I can't comment on whether my taste buds are being affected by the meds or the spray. What I do know is that I woke up this morning without coughing. Amazing after six months of misery. I don't have an appetite but hey don't mind loosing a few pounds and I am not sleeping properly but then I haven't done months. No other noticeable side effects just so happy not to have turned myself inside out this morning from coughing. It's a thumbs up from me."

Beefy Beff May 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have just finished a 7 day course of 500mg tablets, twice a day for a chest infection which two other antibiotics failed to clear. This antibiotic worked much faster than others I have tried, with symptoms improving rapidly after just one day. I had no side effects at all, not even the strange taste. My wife has also had a course of the same drug in the past, again with no side effects. Reading through these comments you would think that practically everyone has adverse side effects from this drug, but in actual fact it is a low percentage (under 10% according to the packet). I think more people tend to report bad side effects, than none hence the large number here. Don't be put off by this."

Joe Smithy (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking these tablets for a cheat infection I am on day 4 and thinking of stopping. My mouth tastes vile I am constantly drinking or swilling my mouth out as I have a metallic perfume taste in it, I keep having some weird dreams and I am very restful on a night time since I started these tablets. Another thing is I don't have a appetite at all. I have been taking these tablets for 4 days and the only thing I feel is my chest loosening but everything else I still have and the pain I suffer from in my stomach is not nice. I just say since taking this medication I have felt worse in regards to stomach trouble, not eating or sleeping and the worse thing is the taste in my mouth is really is VILE!!!!!"

pontepops April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"You people are obviously not sick enough to be grateful you have a medicine that works. It's not even close to that bad. Take it with food. And you won't even have side effects. Take pain meds. And brush your teeth. This Medicine is the best and does what it needs to do. Stop complaining it could be worse you could die."

Shuckers March 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken only 3 pills thus far, while my symptoms from bronchitis and a sinus infection are already starting to improve I cannot handle the strange dreams, disconnectedness, slight paranoia and subsequent anxiety!!! I too will be calling the Dr. on a Sunday to get a different RX. Oh yes the taste in my mouth is EVERY bit the disgusting way that others have described."

Gmasparkle (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed this after a 5-day, then a 7-day course of a different antibiotic each time led to bronchial symptoms (with increased body temperatures) never fully going away and strongly reasserting themselves in a few days. The 500mg tablets are a pain to swallow (you need lots of water to flush them all the way down) and, as most respondents report, cause a permanent nasty bitter taste in the mouth. However, by Day 3 I was feeling much better and now mid-way through Day 4 coughing nearly gone and phlegm much reduced. Temperature also back to normal. In short, feel practically ready resume working."

Wheezy 77 y.o. (taken for less than 1 month) February 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was so sick with coughing I didn't care what I took. I didn't eat for a week as l lost my appetite. I had diarrhoea, sweating, bad taste in mouth and now I'm feeling better I have a rash all over my body which I think is antibiotics. The rash is itchy but nothing compared to how I felt 10 days ago."

Jaisja February 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I had to leave a review for this medicine because I consider it to be a wonder drug. I am prone to bronchitis and I've tried everything: amoxicillin, augmentin, ampicillin, z-pack, omnicef, etc. Biaxin is the only--and I mean ONLY--drug that will work on my bronchitis. The worst side effect for me is hunger to the point where I feel like my stomach is eating itself, but I'll gladly temporarily put up with that rather than cough myself to death! This is an amazing medication--it gets the job done when nothing else will."

Liz2222 February 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this drug for a chest infection 3 days ago. So far .... The taste in my mouth is so vile I cannot even begin to describe it. Every swallow makes me shudder. I feel sick and have no appetite. I have have acute pain in my stomach and side , I guessed from lack of solid food which has left me gasping as the cramps set in. I'm actually constipated, which differs from others experiences, but who knows, its day 3 after all. Sleep is here and there, sometimes I get a solid hour and I just feel exhausted. I've stayed in bed. I have lower back pain, and feel like I'm at deaths door. I also have no concentration and desire to complete simple tasks. Won't be keen to repeat this again in a hurry"

TrackyLou February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking clarithromycin is my second day , My mouth taste terrible and I feel pain in my chest for acid reflux, I hope taking more medicine doesn't make it worst."

Keka February 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Wow this medication is effective but is the vilest thing I have ever taken . I felt compelled to write on a review on this website seeing others have been through hell taking that it. First off started to have stomach pain, bloating, winds and general " feeling sick " feeling a couple of hours after taking it, 24 hours down the line and after having ingested my 3rd tablet I had the most excrutating pain in the stomach that got me to lie down in a foetal position for 3 hours, it felt like someone was yanking my gut out of my body. I had fever and chills and also the metallic taste has been non stop present as well. This stuff has severe side effects, I'm quitting 36 hours into it as it is unbearable "

UKpatient January 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have always been vulnerable to bronchitis and pneumonia. This antibiotic is the only thing that works. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth yes but I know that after 10 days I will be done and better. Before I was prescribed this, I would often have to take more then 10 days of antibiotics in order to get better."

Leisl Findley (taken for less than 1 month) January 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Horrible taste in my mouth! It tastes like bitter grapefruit rinds. I'm also having some heart arrthymias so am probably going to stop taking this. Will call Dr tomorrow and request amoxicillin."

Ohioles (taken for less than 1 month) December 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well ... I'm on day five thank god but have three more to go . I thought I was crazy and so did my family . This taste in my mouth is terrible it's in my throat too when I cough . It's bitter but more like hairspray lol . I noticed I was very tired all week but thought that's the flu and tonight I had a glass of wine with dinner and that's when the taste hit me . I thought the wine was bad but now it's been 6 hours and the taste !!! That's what's making me feel sick now . I have had a bit of the diarrhea and mild head aches .... Again thought flu but tonight it all changed and I have not had an appitite all week at all . Food is actually making me feel sick but this taste is way worst . Like terrible !!!!!! Anyone else taste hair spray ?"

Hairspray in my mouth taste !! (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"poisonous taste in mouth can't sleep excessive sweating"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I will never even look at those pills again. Took in the morning, and by the evening every side effect hit me like a sledgehammer. Got a couple hours of sleep last night when I wasn't living in my bathroom and after experiencing the most disturbing dreams in my life I would rather have stayed awake. Who invented something so diabolical???"

Johnnygme November 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed Clarithromycin for bad chest infection. After taking the first tablet I felt nauseous and a really bitter taste in the mouth. This is day 5 out of 7 and the symptoms have not gone away. Also had diarrhoea on second day and constant gurgling and wind in the stomach. I have felt pretty awful the whole time. Persevering with medication as I am desperate to get rid of the awful chesty cough and feeling unwell but will never take it again. Since reading previous posts some say to eat before a dose and also have some yoghurt before and after. Wish there had been some better advice on the leaflet with this antibiotic. I have never felt this ill taking an antibiotic before, it feels like poison."

Elizapin November 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The Dr said I had a virus turning into Bronchitis. That night I started having a tingly numbness all over. Went to Hospital next day and they said a reaction to the med. They did some med in an IV. I'm still having trouble after almost a wk. They said it was the one day of med. I know not everyone is allergic, but be careful if u are sensitive. The numbness has moved to my face and extremely scary"

Flower15 October 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had 3 days of this medicine now and think I may have a slight improvement....very slight. The foul taste in the mouth is awful and my back aches if I do any easy household chores. My chest is still bad with a hacking productive cough. I feel exhausted unless I just sit still. this is the second type of antibiotics as the first did not help. I find it hard to fall asleep but wouldn't say I have insomnia thankfully and only mild tummy ache briefly so I seem to be fortunate that way. I am going to stay on them and cope with them somehow as I still hope they are doing the job behind the scenes where the infection is. Nevertheless a culture has come back clear so I don't know if that means its viral anyway and the tablets are pointless."

Anji78 October 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First off let me say I have allergies to most antibiotics I was placed on this generic form of biaxin. No side effects except for a gassy tummy with or without food no taste or dreams. Seems to being doing its job. I also received a small dose injection of a steroid. Now to get the nose to turn off. But as the saying going better out than in. In my experience the diarrhea is not a bad thing its forcing all the germs out of you. Though I have not had that reaction with this my go to antibiotic has always been the Z pack but I was always very dizzy on them. Try and hang in there after 10 days it will be well worth it. I mean your sick. No drug is a miracle drug. Get well soon y'all. Keep plenty of non caffeined drinks at bay."

Fedup6813 (taken for less than 1 month) October 4, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started on tablets yesterday for Bronchitis, had been on another penicillin for sinus infection but still hadn't recovered 100% hence the Clarithromycin. I have had 3 x tablets so far and will not be taking anymore. I have been up since 2.00am and am exhausted but still can't sleep. I am not due to menstruate however am experiencing excessive bleeding and the metallic taste make me physically ill but the diarrhea and the stomach gurgling and cramps are so not worth it. I would prefer to have Bronchitis then the side effects from this drug, I only hope no permanent damage has been caused. Would strongly recommend anything BUT this medication."

#########77 September 24, 2016