User Reviews for Clarithromycin

Also known as: Biaxin, Biaxin XL

Clarithromycin Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 123 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Clarithromycin to treat Bronchitis

"It is great to treat strep and other bacterial infection if you have a resistance to "weaker" antibiotics. DO NOT FORGET to take probiotics with this medication!! It is really important."

Slavmi1 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2018

"My doctor said I have bronchitis, as I have had a cough for 3 weeks, but no fever & not feeling ill. I recently moved from a hot, humid climate to a cold, dry climate. I was put on this for 10 days, 2x a day. 1st night it knocked me out & I felt like absolute garbage the next morning. I couldn't make it into work-nausea, loss of appetite, diarrhea, anxiety, agitation, crying spells & sweats, but it wore off throughout the day. I ended up going back to the doctor after I took another dose last night, because I felt very agitated. I saw a different doctor this time, who stated I do not have bronchitis, just seasonal cough from the move. She recommended I stay on for at least 3 days, just in case, but to use Benadryl, nasal spray and Pepcid. I am on my 4th dose & I feel crummy, but not as bad as the first day. I ate yogurt and took probiotic with the subsequent doses & did not have diarrhea. Hopefully will never have to take this again. I never had side effects like this with amoxicillin"

Beib (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2018

"I've been taking this drug for 4 days now. It is effective. I did not experience such side effects except my body fluids tastes different"

Al (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

"Gave me the worst green diahrrea ever, messed up my gut. Felt like I had to recover from the medication itself. Stopped after the third dose."

Mike (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2018

"As a sufferer of bronchiectasis and chronic bronchitis, I have had a nasty infection on my lungs which doxycycline refused to get rid of. Now after 3 days on clarithroycin I am feeling much better and will be picking up my repeat tomorrow. It's very important to take probiotics as well, it really helps the stomach. My side effects are next to zero and this will be my go to antibiotics whenever I have an exacerbation, that is; after having a sputum sample taken to determine if it's the right one to treat the certain bacterial infection. If you have a serious lung condition I highly recommend this drug!!!"

nova (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

"I have been taking these tablets now for a week and have found them to be very effective. I too like many have had a bad taste in my mouth but it is now gone. It also made me very sleepy early on in the doses but ok now. The way I felt, which was at the point I was struggling to walk twenty feet, these tablets have made me a lot better. I took 2 a day over 12 hours."

Brian M (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2018

"Hey gang, feel better to see that I’m not the only one going nuts about this antibiotic ( not even allergic to anything on top of it ????) . Got a 5 day treatment at 500mg every 12 hours. Already fatigued by bronchitis but it’s not going away (the fatigue). The really bad taste in mouth, anxiety, confusion, scared of going out to work cause I don’t feel good. Although I se improvement in the bronchitis. The meds are making me paranoid - good luck to all. Just had last tablet this morning and I still have a bit of secretions so I wonder if it’s ok. Oh forgot to mention I crashed my doctors office yesterday needing antidepressants and and anxiety pills cause my mind is not well. He gave me a prescription for it as I’m suffering from burnout all mixed with my bronchitis and the tablets didn't help my mind....."

brige111 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2018

"Took these tablets @ 500 mg twice a day for 3 days, the last tablet taken was when the delusions & hallucinations started. The real world felt a million miles away, feeling confused, almost l could see myself doing things & talking from a birds eye view, vision became blurry and the feeling of onset of doom was constantly by my side. Along with this visiting the toilet 4 times in three hours and throwing up with thick brown mucus. Felt like if I closed my eyes I would never open them again. Safe to say never again! These antibiotics are way too strong. Had to give it a 1/10 as could not post otherwise. Really scary antibiotics to take for me anyway. Now I know what t feels like to be on A class drugs."

Khad February 13, 2018

"OMG it was only after getting my tablets from the pharmacy I realised how bad the side effects were the last time. I feel so sick with hunger pains, heartburn, horrible taste in my mouth, mouth constantly filling up with water, mad dreams when I can get some sleep not to mention the constant trips to the loo. Never again will I take these. I feel sick enough as it is"

sunflowersie February 9, 2018

"Never again. I took only one dose before going to sleep. There was almost no sleep. Nightmares, feeling terrified. Instead of my child I saw old scary face sleeping on bed, and now I know how insomnia feels. I would discourage all single parents which have no help from taking this something. Btw I had to give it 1 of 10 as the side didn't let me put 0 of 10"

annabelle 135 (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2018

"come on people 1's and 2's...really. I have chronic bronchitis and frequent my doctor several times a year. I was prescribed this by my doctor for 10 days and I am on day 7. I am also battling the flu and some fluid on my lungs. I do feel a little bit better but my sleeping has been reduced and I find myself awake much earlier than I normally am. But as a whole my tiredness throughout the day is improving whereas when first day taking them I was falling asleep any and everywhere. Make sure to take any inhalers you may be on and I feel this has helped me and lets not forget we are not in the greatest state of mind when given an antibiotic. Being sick or not feeling well is never fun...good luck everyone."

gerbil immune system January 18, 2018

"I was prescribed this 500mg medication twice a day when I had a sinus infection and some chest congestion. The first 3 days I was only taking 1 pill a day (because my sinuses were so bad I misread the label). On the 4th day I took 1 every 12 hours and I had 100% water diarhea until my body was completely empty. I think the dosage is too strong for me and my stomach. I will break the big pill in half and continue taking 1/2 (250mg) every 12 hours instead. Every BODY is different. When your allergic to penicillins...any other medication can be a blessing rather than go without."

WheezyOne January 15, 2018

"Started this tablet Saturday last after having tried other medication for a month long of bronchitis - never again. It's now fifth day I feel so angry. It pains me to go to the toilet, all I want to do is sleep, I'm depressed, miserable, I have woke up gasping for water, my mouth ALL dried up, lips are burnt, my nostrils are burnt too. Yet I still have my bronchitis cough . I'm so fed up I'm stopping this tablet now. It's made me so miserable I've been JUST staring at the wall for the last five days. Everything is making me agitated. I felt better without it. I've had night sweats water pouring out through my pyjamas stuck to my bedclothes. I feel like I'm going off my game."

Weary susanboots December 27, 2017

"Well I have to say there were times when these were on the verge of being dumped into bin, they made me feel really rough. Headaches, woozy and the MOST HORRENDOUS taste in my mouth. But, by day 4 (of a 7 day course) I have to say I noticed an improvement in my chest. So needless to say I continued with the purgatory!!! I get real bad chest Infections and I have to weigh up the pros against the cons and to be truthful yes, they do work but it's a rotten struggle to feel better. Would I take again...???? The jury is out !!!!"

Greensteps (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2017

"I thought my symptoms and signs were due to the bronchitis until I read this article. My bronchitis have gone but still have 4 more days of drugs to take and the side effects are almost stopping me from going to work. Wish I could stop them early."

Kiki1 December 14, 2017

"A regular sufferer of chest infections from the bronchiectasis and severe sinusitis, I've been taking this for 3 days now and I do feel slightly better. I do have a horrible taste in my mouth, bloated stomach and constantly hungry but hey I can deal with that!"

Shiany (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2017

"My Doctor put me on these antibiotics for a cough that I couldn't get rid of. The meds worked great for the cough but the side effects were horrid, sweats, headaches, hunger pains, tummy bloating, pain, nausea, rash and the list goes on. Only take these pills if you are really sick or in pain cause the side effects are bad. I look 8 months pregnant from bloating and am constantly irritated from feeling like I' havent slept for a month. So it comes down to can you put up with the side effects or not. I'm going to soldier on and keep taking them. Only 4 days to go 3 done.. stay strong and get well soon "

AussieCowgirl October 9, 2017

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "Prescribed this drug several years ago. Shortly after taking it I went 5 nights without sleep and was subsequently hospitalized for a manic episode with delusions. It took months to recover from the depression that followed. I was on mood stabilizers for a year and a half post episode before gaining enough courage to ween off entirely. It has been a few years now that I am clean and clear of all medications. Mentally stable and back to working in emergency medicine. I have since stayed far away from the entire "myocin" family of antibiotics for fear that I am hypersensitive. Highly recommend staying away from this drug."

JRutabaga September 14, 2017

"I only took this one time for an ear infection and water behind the eardrum. I took another antibiotic's k-pack that I reacted really well too and the pain in the ear was almost gone. Nevertheless, when I went back to the ENT he changed the prescription to this Clarithromycin. It made me so nauseous, I wasn't willing to risk taking it any more. I am not a "doctor going" person. I usually wait until my pain is really bad or I have had symptoms really long. I had water behind the eardrum and dulled hearing for 8 months before I went the first time. This antibiotic, like all antibiotics and medicines, work differently on different bodies because of chemistry. Great if this worked for you, but it definitely made me sick."

Foodforthought August 3, 2017

"It's been 3 days and I CANNOT SLEEP AT ALL!!! I will stop using this!!"

gurljac July 28, 2017

"Day 1: bitter taste in my mouth after taking the first 500mg at night. Nauseous. Took it after a meal, then I felt sick after. Was able to sleep ok. Day 2: small rashes on my hand, legs, and neck. Not too many but still, they are rashes. Nauseous. Couldn't sleep at night. This was the first day of doing morning and night 500mg each. Coughed a bit in a span of one hour. Normally I cough for 2 hours when I haven't taken the antibiotics. Sleep was ok. Day 3: rashes, fast heart beat, shivering, feeling sick, feeling hot like having low grade fever, it is 247am and I am up. Feeling tired, my upper back hurts. Coughed a lot from 830pm-1230am. Fell asleep for a few minutes but woke up to the feeling of losing breath. Must be an allergic reaction"

Makaivilo July 22, 2017

Biaxin (clarithromycin): "I only have negative reviews for this drug. Avoid !!!! I started with a milder antibiotic finished the course but it relapsed with sinus & chest infection and so I was put on biaxin. My sinus took a month to go but the side effects I could not tolerate were - loss of sleep (NO SLEEP) , no appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, feeling depressed and emotional outbursts. I'm a very happy person & always around people but this medicine made me go into a shell. It took a lot of effort of my friends & family to get me back to my normal state of mind."

Kox May 11, 2017

"I am on day 2 of this med bit am also on a steroid nasal spray, so I can't comment on whether my taste buds are being affected by the meds or the spray. What I do know is that I woke up this morning without coughing. Amazing after six months of misery. I don't have an appetite but hey don't mind loosing a few pounds and I am not sleeping properly but then I haven't done months. No other noticeable side effects just so happy not to have turned myself inside out this morning from coughing. It's a thumbs up from me."

Beefy Beff May 6, 2017

"I have just finished a 7 day course of 500mg tablets, twice a day for a chest infection which two other antibiotics failed to clear. This antibiotic worked much faster than others I have tried, with symptoms improving rapidly after just one day. I had no side effects at all, not even the strange taste. My wife has also had a course of the same drug in the past, again with no side effects. Reading through these comments you would think that practically everyone has adverse side effects from this drug, but in actual fact it is a low percentage (under 10% according to the packet). I think more people tend to report bad side effects, than none hence the large number here. Don't be put off by this."

Joe Smithy (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2017

"I started taking these tablets for a cheat infection I am on day 4 and thinking of stopping. My mouth tastes vile I am constantly drinking or swilling my mouth out as I have a metallic perfume taste in it, I keep having some weird dreams and I am very restful on a night time since I started these tablets. Another thing is I don't have a appetite at all. I have been taking these tablets for 4 days and the only thing I feel is my chest loosening but everything else I still have and the pain I suffer from in my stomach is not nice. I just say since taking this medication I have felt worse in regards to stomach trouble, not eating or sleeping and the worse thing is the taste in my mouth is really is VILE!!!!!"

pontepops April 5, 2017