User Reviews for Ceftin

Ceftin has an average rating of 7.1 out of 10 from a total of 45 ratings on Drugs.com. 64% of those users who reviewed Ceftin reported a positive effect, while 23% reported a negative effect.

Strep Throat   10.0
Otitis Media   2.0
Summary of Ceftin reviews 7.1 45 reviews

Reviews for Ceftin

Trina March 1, 2020

For Sinusitis: “Don't take Ceftin if you have colitis of any kind. Stomach has been in horrible constriction after 2pills.”

Sassafras · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2020

For Otitis Media: “On day 7 and ears still plugged. Sinus & throat involvement continues also. Not pleased with results.”

Amy January 10, 2020

For Sinusitis: “The medicine clears the infection , but extremely harsh on the stomach. I am on day 4 and had to stop taking it because I threw up all over the driveway. It repeats on you all day and leaves a horrible taste. Very strong”

minnie · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “Prescribed this antibiotic Ceftin after a severe reaction to Levaquin for bacterial infection. Only problem is muscle aches and stomach issues. I am on day five but I may have to stop before the ten days. Feels like gallbladder problems but I did not have these symptoms before taking this medication.”

Osama Yomama March 26, 2019

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “Very gentle antibiotic for me. With every other kind I've taken, on the first dose, I expect it to feel like it "hit bottom" in my stomach. This one did not make my stomach upset one bit. A surprise. Had a cold for 1.5 weeks and it came back a few days later (after some sinus pains) Sinuses opened up and a torrent of mucus poured down my throat, caused laryngitis. was getting worse so I decided to suck it up and take these. I was VERY apprehensive at first because I think antibiotics should be a last resort. I have a trip abroad coming up so, no time to be sick. Started working the day I took it. It is now day 4 on them and my voice came back. I've been sipping kefir and taking a probiotic between doses. I don't know if this will cause a yeast infection, but I still might take a fluconazole after my prescription is finished if I feel ANY hint of discomfort. So far so good though. Penicillins usually give me instant vaginal yeast infections! Cleared my cystic acne too!”

Spazzma · Taken for less than 1 month March 24, 2019

For Bladder Infection: “I took cefuroxime , a high dose for a bacterial bladder infection. I go t a massive side effect of setting my butt on fire. It still burns and I had to take an antifungal to stop it, which just made it burn less. I'm still using a steroid powder. But I still burn & I'm in a wheelchair.”

Dickie March 17, 2019

For Bladder Infection: “I have been on Cefuroxime 250 mg tabs (Generic for Ceftin) for 3 months, and my bladder infection has not improved. In fact, my urine is more bloody and continues getting worse. I have told my Dr. and requested a different, hopefully more effective, antibiotic, but she keeps pushing this one. I am about to change doctors if she does not change it or my condition worsens more.”

Dave · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “Daughter is 16mths old and was prescribed this garbage from the ER doc for an ear and chest infection. She was on this for 3 days and had the worst experience ever with stomach pain, vomit, diarrhea galore and would not move from wife's lap/crying. We stopped this med and saw a night and day difference within 16hrs. Unbelievable.”

Lori91042 · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2019

For Sinusitis: “I was given Ceftin by my regular doctor for a sinus infection . 500 mg , 2 times a day . It always clears my infection , usually notice feeling better after day 3 . After awhile , it didn’t work anymore and my sinusitis became chronic . Levaquin was then the only thing that worked . Now Levaquin is dangerous . So I thought maybe , after 7 years of no Ceftin , maybe it would work again . Thankfully , it works again . I have no side effects , take with food . It is really the BEST antibiotic I’ve ever taken . I can’t take augmentin or sulfa , so I’m very glad that there is Ceftin ! It’s a big pill . I smash it into a powder and take it with cinnamon applesauce - thereby no bitter or mettalic taste .”

daisymick · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2018

For Bladder Infection: “This is harder on the stomach and I miss my usual med for this but it seems to have lessened the urgency. I had no burning but I do have the low backache and pressure.”

Jersey · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2018

For Sinusitis: “I have been prescribed Ceftin multiple times over the course of 6 years to treat my sinusitis. Every time I have taken it, I have only been able to endure a few days before the incredibly harsh nature of this medicine on my stomach forces a doctor to stop the use. This week I was prescribed it again and 4 hours into the VERY FIRST PILL of my VERY FIRST DOSE, I began to feel terrible stabbing abdominal pain and then began over 24 hours of awful diarrrhea and vomiting. My body felt like it was going through a war. Now not only was I still battling through sinusitis, but due to taking this Ceftin I added symptoms of being in the throes of a stomach virus. I went to the doctor 12 hours into this episode whereby he told me NEVER TAKE THIS MEDICINE AGAIN....it clearly is having awful reactions with your body. This has really set me back now and thanks to the havoc it wrecked on my insides now I can’t take any meds orally for a bit until we can stabilize my stomach.”

Tom March 26, 2018

For Pneumonia: “I found the tablet form difficult to swallow. On my second dose, the tablet got stuck in my throat. Scary. But I managed to get it back out, and tossed it in the trash. Then I realized I would be one dose short. So I retrieved the tablet, only to discover that by now, it had swollen into a spongy mass. So I dropped it into a glass of water. Extremely bitter this way. And with irritated throat tissues. So, next dose, I put almond milk in my mouth, maybe 4 ounces, and tossed in the tablet and quickly swallowed. This time, it went down ok. I think the tablet needs a coating. I was thinking of using butter. I will try this on my next dose.”

Cookie · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 28, 2018

For Sinusitis: “I was in Urgent Care 4 days ago and diagnosed with a sinus infection. I was given Ceftin 500 mg. tablets to take 2 times a day. I'm going to take one after dinner tonight, and I honestly can say this stuff is not working for me at all. I'm okay for about 3 hours after taking it with breakfast, then my nose starts running, my head stuffs up, I get very cold and I have to go to bed propped up on 3 pillows trying to breathe. When I get up, my nose starts running again and my head gets all stuffed up again, and doesn't clear up until about 8:30 pm. If I am like this tomorrow, I will be calling my primary care doctor about getting put on something else.”

Lyme Lady · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2017

For Lyme Disease: “Ceftin is the only antibiotic that cured my Lyme Disease after trying others. I have been symptom free for many years now. I took it for 6 weeks.”

Dallas C October 16, 2017

For Sinusitis: “I had a headache for 2 weeks straight and couldn't figure out why so I finally broke down and went to the doctors yesterday! She prescribed me Ceftin and said I had a sinus infection. I took both pills yesterday and woke up today with no headache at all and feeling amazing. This pill really works so far!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: “When I read all of the reviews I was kind of terrified to start Ceftin, but I had no reason to be! The only side effect I found for the first day was gas and bloating, but it definitely could've been unrelated. As long as you take this antibiotic with a meal (nothing crazy, doesn't have to be huge) and take probiotics daily, you should be totally fine! I've been on it for 4 days and I feel great with no side effects. Tomorrow is my last day, so I'm hoping my UTI will be cleared out! My only complaint is that because I took the liquid, it definitely was not pleasant to swallow and I found the easiest way to make it tolerable was to mix it with a sweeter flavored drink, as the antibiotic is a bit gritty and bitter.”

AS101 · Taken for less than 1 month November 7, 2016

For Sinusitis: “Effective antibiotic with the only down side being frequent heartburn & gas.”

kindje July 11, 2016

For Lyme Disease: “son of 3,5 years old has Lyme; received cefuroxime axetil 250 mg oral suspension 21 days. It was hard to find pharmacy that carries this. The pediatrician had to mediate. Our son did a great job taking the medicine, as we used a plastic, injection tof administer it to him. He did fine with that. However. On the bottle it said to shake well before use. The liquid was too thick for shaking. You had to just wait for the goo to come out of the narrow bottle. When the bottle was "empty" there was a thick layer at the bottom and around the sides. Even thicker than the rest. How can we tell if he got the right amount of medicine? Better to put susp into an open neck jar and stir each time. With Lyme you"re never sure if medication worked.”

Anonymous December 23, 2015

For Pneumonia: “My mother, age 75 took this. After 4 days she became very confused, bad chest pain, nauseated, felt jerky and diarrhea. She still shows some confusion after being off of it for 2 days.”

Brian O December 9, 2015

For Sinusitis: “Did excellent job with clearing up sinus infection. 4 days in, however, I got hit with pretty severe diarrhea. Dr. had me stop taking since I was so much improved in terms of the sinusitis and due to the side effects. Been 48 hrs of diarrhea. And 24 since I terminated the medication. Hopefully it resolves with the probiotics I'm taking and cessation of the Ceftin. I am concerned about the severe colitis I've read about but we shall see.”

W-U October 11, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: “My doctor looked in my ear and nose and saw that they were severe blocked, as well as infected with bacteria. He explained to me that I probably have drainage into the eustachian tube and that has got dirty. So he prescribed me 500mg Ceftin, as well as Allegra-D and Flonase, all to be taken for 15 days. I take Ceftin twice daily morning and night with food. I take Allegra-D and Flonase in the morning before I leave for work. I don't know how the Ceftin works, but I was still plugged up for a good 5 days until it felt like it may be finally kicked in. But is it? It could just be the regular Allegra-D and Flonase? But I guess if this Ceftin is good for many other stuff, it'll be good for all the other bacteria type stuff so I'm happy.”

Anonymous May 11, 2015

For Lyme Disease: “After several rounds of doxycycline it started to lose its effectiveness. After a week on ceftin my symptoms subsided. I'm not cured, but my symptoms have been manageable for the past 2 years”

Priscilla Dearing · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2014

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “I'm currently being treated (with Ceftin) for a chest infection. I had been coughing & try as I might, couldn't bring up all the stuck mucous in my chest & throat. After one pill, the phlegm was loosened & there was a dramatic decrease in my coughing. Plus, I've had ZERO side effects! : )”

Anonymous December 11, 2014

For Sinusitis: “I've had sinusitis for a couple of weeks, woozy, dizzy, pressure. I took a dose pack, which I normally take anyway and it helped some but no appreciable effects. I tried Augmentin and couldn't take anymore after one dose due to side effects. I've taken 3 Ceftin since yesterday and I feel much, much better.”

missvash March 6, 2014

For Strep Throat: “No side effects at all... wiped it out first day.”