User Reviews for Suboxone

Learn more about Suboxone.

Suboxone Rating Summary

9.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Opiate Dependence.

Reviews for Suboxone to treat Opiate Dependence

"It's a miracle drug.I don't want to do other opiates or even drink alcohol. I can think more clearly."

jack-o (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am currently on generic Subutex (buprenorphine) and have been for 4 years. I take 12-16mg daily. Pros: it has helped me get through college and pass with high honors. I went from living in my car & with my mother to having my own beautiful home and 2 new vehicles. I have a good job with benefits and get wonderful reviews from my customers. It has helped me be a better person and rebuild relationships with the people I love the most. Cons: I am scared of what it is causing behind the scenes in my long term health. I smoke a lot and I am having sore throats a lot. I am scared. I am very high strung and my boss does notice. I try to concentrate and it's like I have ADD. Weight gain too."

sannystac (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have not started. I wanted to hear how it affected others."

roxanne12 May 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used to be a serious Roxy user but when my drug dealer ran out he gave me Suboxone instead.I didn't know it at the time but once I took that Suboxone it meant that I couldn't take another Roxy for at least three days after ingesting the Suboxone.Long story short,I ended up going to a doctor and he prescribed me Suboxone.They made feel good like a Roxy but without the hangover the next day after taking Roxy.I'm also going to support groups for drug addicts that are held at my doctors office once a month.I've been on Suboxone 8/2mg for eight years now and although it helps I really want to get off of them.It's so dang hard to get off of Suboxone though.Story of my life..."

CrazyTown813 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"You have to be very careful taking this drug! I know the days with Roxy's were hell but I can't remember which is worse !It's just another drug! I remember when I first got on it I was so excited because I was living a life of hell but 5 years later it is nice not to go to the street and I actually have a doctor but that's the only advantage. I'm still addicted to drugs is a tough pill to swallow !pun very intentional"

acureforthacure (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I used to use Oxy 80's up to 3 per day and I was a druggy for 12 years. Suboxone saved my life for sure."

Sublifer (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 5, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This stuff cures my depression. I take 1 mg a day (I cut a 2 in half). I have been a pill abuser since the 1970s and I am bipolar (I did not want to accept this diagnosis so I got 4 second opinions). I feel NO desire to abuse Suboxone and I take LESS than prescribed. I used to run through 5 Norco scripts with some additional purchases on the side. My father and sister both committed suicide so I have an extensive family history of bipolar disorder. I have no plans to discontinue this medicine, my doctor agrees. SUBOXONE SAVED MY LIFE! IT IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE but for me, it is worth it."

Ace Aardvark (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My husband was given this medicine for opiate addiction after back surgery. He took opioids for years, and went into rehab to get off pain meds. They gave him suboxone. He was only supposed to take it for about a month, but the Dr kept giving it to him for overs year and a half. He became just as easily addicted to Suboxone as he did the opiates, and then went through terrible withdrawal. He should have been admitted for rehab , but with the help of a psychiatrist, his willpower, and myself, his wife, we managed. DO NOT EVER let your loved one take this medicine. It will keep the addiction in process. It won't make it better, it will give them something else to be addicted to."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 14, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication is excellent for suppressing my cravings, for opioids! Unfortunately I cannot stay on them for more than a month due to the horrible side affects. I literally would not, sleep more than 1-2 hours a night, therefore causing hallucinations after 4 days. No bowel movement for a week at a time, and even then, would have to drink magnesium citrate. My legs would swell so bad, my lower back would hurt and put on 10-15lbs of water. Severely agitated and depressed."

Warrior from NY ny (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 13, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication save my life from Methadone side effect."

Latinopr (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 9, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Suboxone, 6 years ago because I was getting off of Roxy's. I heard, at the time that it wasn't hard to get off of and was a way better choice than the roxys. Little did I know that what I was told about getting off of the Suboxone was easy was a COMPLETE LIE!!!!!! I regret the day I ever started taking them! I've tried numerous times to wean myself off, only to fail MISERABLY! I also have tried to medically detox but of course you know what happened.. FAIL.. If you are thinking of trying this or Subutex PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT... It may take a week to a week and a ½ to get over the withdrawals of roxys, Loritab, even oxys but getting off of the Suboxone/Subutex takes at least 3-6 months.."

Kla.ET March 6, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got hooked on painkillers because of chronic neck pain and have been so for the last 9 years. I have detox cold turkey at least a hundred times off of painkillers. Each time I wanted to die. This time I finally got on some suboxone and I mean to tell you that stuff is a miracle drug. First day I took 4 milligrams second day 4 milligrams third and fourth day. I'm going to cut the last 8 milligram strip into quarters and take that for four days and then I'm going to be done and I I'm never going to go back on the painkillers again it's too hard to get off of but that Suboxone works like a miracle."

Tobe or not Tobe (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 5, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am extremely pleased with this medication. I am a recovering addict who turned to methadone maintenance 6 years ago. I unfortunately continued with methadone for almost 5 year and found it to be a hinderance. It did save my life but all these medications should be for short term use. I began my prescription of Subutex around 11 months ago. I am very pleased. After the first week the euphoria stopped after taking my dose. This helped me get adjusted to feeling "normal". My dose has been gradually decreased and I am almost off completely. This is an addictive drug but if done correctly with your doctor you can detox with min. discomfort. The biggest problem is price. Without insurance....forget it. $834 for 120 Subutex."

Doingwellfinally (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 28, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was hooked on opiates for 10 years! Mostly snorting oxy and perks for the first 7 to 8 years and the last 2 years I was introduced to morphine H and hydromorphone as well as the needle. Although I was a mess all these years it wasn't until I tried the needle that opened my eyes to my addiction. I went downhill fast. I tried everything but there was no stopping this. I tried cold turkey to quit a few times and almost went crazy and died from sickness. The sickness I started to feel from the needle was way worse than it ever was sniffing. I knew I had to get off but I tried methadone before and it didn't help me it made me feel the exact opposite of how suboxone makes me feel. Subs=energy,happy,stable,no urges, not stoned"

YourTypicalCanadianGuy (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"It was time to stop the use of pain meds. However, I was terrified of the possible withdrawals & I still needed something for pain. So my research pinpointed Suboxone as a positive option. The good seemed to outweigh the bad because I was also concerned about it itself becoming a problem. So my pain dr agreeded it was a good option 4 me w/ so many issues (Fibromyalsia, Osteoarthritis, PCOS, a botched c section incision w/ tramped nerves, a lower abdomen hernia, a torn achilles in left ankle, & tendinitis in my left elbow, just to name a few!) The hardest part was going 24 hrs w/o meds. It ended up being 36hrs. I started it monitored in my Dr office 8mg/2mg films. No precipitated withdrawals & I felt great. I feel like me again! Lifesaver!"

Rue Girl (taken for less than 1 month) January 15, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Suboxone is an absolute god send for opiate detox. I've been to rehab twice for Opiates, including Heroin, Methadone, and Oxycodone. I felt next to NOTHING, no withdrawal after doing a Suboxone detox. The first time it was a 7 day detox.. then 2nd time it was a 12 day detox. it shouldn't be used any longer than that.. 14 days MAX. Unless you want to do maintnance for life. You have to wait AT LEAST 24 hours of NO opiate use before you can take Suboxone.. 72 hours for methadone! or you'll go into precipitated withdrawal! which is the worst!"

EuphoricDetox (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I see all of the bad reviews and information that is not really the way things work for me. So in the year of 2000 after being injured causing permanent disability eye doctor introduced me to Lortab 10 milligram and oxycodone 5 milligram. By the end of my pill habit was on over 1000 pills a month and tried many different narcotics to help with my pain that really was just helping with my addiction. I was very scared. Just take Suboxone. I had to take Suboxone because Florida's Crackdown on over prescribing. Don't be scared to take Suboxone. I took my first Suboxone wow I couldn't believe it I was sober and not feeling like I was dying"

FloridaEpidemic (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2017

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dear Hopeful and I wish you all luck, Because you will need all the luck in the world if you choose this way to get clean from an addiction problem. It will never happen it is actually 100 times harder to get off subs than any drug. It will make you loose any personality you have not to mention friends, sig others, all your sex drive. You will be depressed tired mean moody and miserable all the time. Trust me this is no way to end ur problem will only create bigger ones than before. U will loose interest in your family your dreams and life. So suck it up its 7-10 days be sick trust me it will beat the mos of misery getting off of subs . I promise don't put a bandaid on something that you will live through. Trust me the hell isnt worth it"

manda83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 4, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So much horrible information in the comment section, my god, no wonder everyone is a mess! First off, Suboxone should NOT be used LONG TERM, thats just wasted money in Big Pharmas pocket. Secondly, normal opiate withdrawls (PAWS) is only 3 to 7 days (I've never had more than 4), medicine like oxycodone has a SUPER SHORT half life and is out of your body quickly. The issue is that you brain needs time to rebalance itself so you become hypersensitive with the flood of chemicals as they try to even out. Suboxone has a 36hr half life give or take so a day after you take it plus some added time, its still in your system. Suboxone should be taken for 4 or 5 days tops, that will have it in your system up to the 7 day point. Thats all you need."

EducatedSmartGuy23 December 2, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started with Percs, moved to straight oxy at 100-120mg/day. Never beyond that. Tried a half dozen times to go cold turkey. Not much luck. Closest I have ever gotten is with Sub. Problem is that with Sub you are still just taking opiates in a slightly different form. That's why it "works so well." The problem comes when you stop the Sub. The hardest jump is from some opiates to NO opiates. No matter what, you're going to experience withdrawal. You have to pay the piper at some point, even though some methods (like a taper) might make it a little easier. Anyone who says that withdrawal is just a weekend on the couch is selling you a bill of goods (or, is the doctor encouraging you to take the pills). Be prepared for 10 days."

LAPillhead (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 28, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Suboxone has completely turned my life around. I feel healthier, I'm excelling at my job and I always have money in my pocket and my savings account. I had none of those before Suboxone and spent years abusing oxycontin. My paycheck was already spent by the time I got it and I started resorting to scheming and stealing to fund my addiction. All that is history. If you're ready to stop, there's a good chance that suboxone will put you on the path of great life again. I have found the side-effects to be minimal compared to oxycontin. I'm actually sleeping better. Slight constipation is about it for me. It truly is amazing. The cost pales in comparison to what I spent on oxycontin."

Johnnyboy67 November 27, 2016

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Suboxone works wonders...i got off a 1 year habit of about HalfGram to 1Gram a day of GOOD STUFF (the best black tar around Downtown LA I think) with only 3 8MG pills ...take 3 MG a day for about a week and you should be fine... Thank God for being clean ...NA and AA meetings really help..God Bless"

Anonymous November 16, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience taking suboxone was the complete opposite of what I thought it would be. I always viewed suboxone as the lesser of two evils between methadone because suboxone contains naloxone so you technically can't get "high". Not that I have anything against people who choose methadone as their recovery route, I have actually tried methadone In the past to actually get high and well... I succeeded lol. When I started taking suboxone I got really bad side effects after the first month of taking it. I would severely sweat to the point I wanted to bash my head thru a wall. It was so rough on my body. But my maintenance program doctor just said it was "withdrawals" because when you take the pill every day I guess you're technically withdrawling from the one you took the day before due to the long half life on suboxone. So his idea was to up my dose to 12 mg to see if the sweating would go away (I didn't see the logic in that idea too). Anyways it didn't so he tossed me some clonodine, which helped a little. But the side effects kept adding up such as headaches, severe constipation to the point I had to use daily enemas (not normal), abdominal pains came too along with nausea and vomiting (every day). It just got to the point where my mind and body couldn't be on the medication anymore. I was on it for 7 long months months even trying to ween myself down on my own. That was a struggle too seeing how the withdrawals from suboxone are supposedly worse than heroin sickness, which my doctor and counselor kindly reminded me after I was already hooked. It was a messy time in my life. Suboxone gave me severe anxiety which left me buying benzos off the street just to mellow me out. I went to a weekly suboxone maintenance program on purpose. To get piss tested weekly and to have a doctor and counselor help me move forward. But instead I felt I was moving 10 steps back. My only option to get off the suboxone (which was my choice, ^obviously); was to get the vivitrol shot and have 3 bad days of sickness but be off suboxone. Took me a week to build myself up to do it because I was terrified of how bad the sickness was gonna be. Choosing the vivitrol shot had to be the best worst idea I have ever made. I did get violently sick after it but it went away. Plus my doctor who gave me the shot helped me out with some comfort meds, so it wasn't all that bad. That was in December 2015 that I've received the shot and have been clean since. So my advice for any addict whose struggling on which route to take for recovery, just get the shot. They'll give comfort meds for the first couple days, then after that you'll be shackle free from drugs. I'm tellin ya, choose vivitrol if you need to detox. For others who take suboxone for other reasons such as pain or etc. power to you; but if ya'll are struggling out there and want to get sober quick, vivitrols the answer. Methadone and suboxone will just make you sicker down the road."

Maureen1995 November 14, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was addicted to pain pills for 35 years and didn't think I would ever live a normal life again until I found Suboxone - it literally saved my life. I started out taking Emprin #4 - that's what my OB/GYN prescribed after I had my first baby - and I have to admit I was immediately drawn to the euphoric feeling I got from taking one little pill. They were easy to get at first, but as my habit grew I got more creative and started forging scripts. Eventually, I ended up in jail, lost several fantastic jobs, almost lost my family. I hear Suboxone is harmful if taken long-term, but I've been on it for 8 yrs and don't ever plan on stopping - it's the only way I can function normally so it's worth the risk for me."

WittyTinker (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 9, 2016

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Found this medication to be very effective in the betterment of my quality of life. No impairment whatsoever, during work or study. My sincere experience. Sincerely. Junior, from Dan Juan ,Puerto Rico. Thankyou"

junior de gracia (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 6, 2016