How long does Suboxone block opiates?
Medically reviewed by Carmen Fookes, BPharm. Last updated on April 6, 2020.
- Suboxone blocks the effects of full opioids (such as heroin, fentanyl, or morphine) for at least 24 hours
- In some people, the effects may last up to 60 hours.
Suboxone contains buprenorphine and naloxone and it has become one of the preferred treatments for opioid addiction. It is usually taken once a day.
The buprenorphine component of Suboxone blocks opiates. It works by binding to the opiate receptors in your brain, preventing other opioids from being able to attach. The naloxone component is there to discourage misuse of Suboxone, as this will cause people to experience uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms if they try and inject Suboxone.
Buprenorphine is quickly absorbed after taking by mouth and reaches its peak effect within 40 to 120 minutes.
Its effects at blocking opioid receptors last for at least 24 hours, although this can vary among individuals depending on their weight, metabolism, or history of drug abuse. In some people, the effects of Suboxone may last up to 60 hours.
If full opioids (such as heroin, fentanyl, or morphine) are taken within 24 hours of a Suboxone dose, they will not work.
- Lautieri, A.How Long Does Suboxone Last to Manage Opiate Withdrawal Pain? American Addiction Centers July 2019 https://americanaddictioncenters.org/suboxone/length-of-blocking-effect
- What is Suboxone? Addiction Center Dec 6 2019. https://www.addictioncenter.com/treatment/medications/suboxone/
Related Medical Questions
- How long does Suboxone stay in your system?
- What happens if you take opiates on Suboxone?
- Is buprenorphine an opiate / narcotic?
- Does Suboxone show up on a drug test?
- Is buprenorphine the same as Suboxone?
- How long does Suboxone withdrawal last?
- What medications can you NOT take with Suboxone?
- Sublocade vs Suboxone - What's the difference between them?
- How long should you wait before taking Suboxone?
- How long does it take for Suboxone to start working?
- Is acne a side effect of Suboxone?
- What is the difference between Zubsolv and Suboxone?
- How does Suboxone work?
- Does Suboxone help with pain?
- Can you overdose on Suboxone?