What is the difference between Cassipa and Suboxone sublingual film?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 11, 2021.
Cassipa sublingual films contain 16mg buprenorphine and 4mg naloxone in each film. Suboxone sublingual films contain buprenorphine and naloxone at a lower dosage.
According to the FDA, the Cassipa (buprenorphine and naloxone) brand sublingual film has been discontinued.
In September 2018, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Cassipa (buprenorphine and naloxone) sublingual film (applied under the tongue) for the maintenance (longer-term) treatment of opioid dependence.
Cassipa provides a new dosage strength of sublingual film:
- buprenorphine 16 mg / naloxone 4 mg.
Buprenorphine is a a partial opioid agonist and naloxone blocks the effects of opioid medication that can lead to opioid abuse. Both buprenorphine and naloxone have been approved previously for this purpose.
Suboxone sublingual, another brand name of buprenorphine and naloxone sublingual film, is available in the following film strengths:
- buprenorphine 2 mg / naloxone 0.5 mg
- buprenorphine 4 mg / naloxone 1 mg
- buprenorphine 8 mg / naloxone 2 mg
- buprenorphine 12 mg / naloxone 3 mg.
Side effects of these medications may include:
- oral numbness
- burning mouth
- inflammation of the mouth's mucous membrane
- nausea and vomiting
- excessive sweating
Related Medical Questions
- How long does Suboxone stay in your system?
- How long should you wait before taking Suboxone?
- How long does Suboxone block opiates?
- What happens if you take opiates on Suboxone?
- What medications can you NOT take with Suboxone?
- Does Suboxone show up on a drug test?
- Is buprenorphine an opiate / narcotic?
- How long does it take for Suboxone to start working?
- Is buprenorphine the same as Suboxone?
- How long does Suboxone withdrawal last?
- Sublocade vs Suboxone - What's the difference between them?
- Is Vivitrol the same as Suboxone?
- What is the difference between Zubsolv and Suboxone?
- How does Suboxone work?
- Is acne a side effect of Suboxone?