User Reviews for Lipitor to treat High Cholesterol

Lipitor Rating Summary

4.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 280 medications used in the treatment of High Cholesterol.

Reviews for Lipitor

JT · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

“So I went to the doctor for peripheral neuropathy and back spasms. She does my bloodwork and my cholesterol is extremely high. She puts me on generic Lipitor and it made my back spasms even worse. Now my upper back has a tremor that still hasn't gone away even after quitting the drug 2 months ago. I have loss strength in my legs and I have terrible short term memory. It would give me dizzy spells and I just felt sick all the time. I'm still recovering from it and I told my doctor I quit taking it because it was making me shake. Now she wants me to start taking it again, but I'm not going to,”

Marty · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2020

“After taking Lipitor for a few weeks I developed pain in both my legs ,arms and shoulders . After three months all my muscles were heavy and under powered I could hardly exercise . I stopped taking Lipitor and some three months later I am nearly back to normal! Don’t take these drugs because it defeats the object . You need to exercise to reduce cholesterol however these drugs prevent you from doing so!!!!”

Dan · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

“Horrible drug! Was taking 40mg once a day. Side effects were just terrible. Headaches, nauseous, dizzy, spacey, and just felt terrible overall. After a few months I decided to cut my dose in half. The next morning still has some side effects but not near as bad as the prescribed dose I was on.”

Momma · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

“Oour mom took Lipitor and had a lot of swelling around her eyes, pale, weak, and her skin was peeling on her face.”

egore February 22, 2020

“After first week 80mg Lipitor a day extreme arm pain from armpit to elbow. Tendon pain in top of hand burning sensation of skin on arm shoulder blade pain. 2 doctors refuse to consider its the drug but I never had a problem before. They are saying its a detoriated spine. This drug is making big business for doctors and the system, even if it killed you they would say its because you missed a dose”

Patient Zero · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2020

“Terrible! After a few days on this drug, I started having moments of "spacing out" - it was like my brain would go offline for a minute or two and suddenly reboot. Horrible feeling! Also: it is important to note that this drug is known to worsen symptoms of GERD (which I have). Lipitor made my GERD so bad that I was violently vomiting for hours after eating or drinking anything. I have tried it twice and had the same reaction both times. No thanks!”

WJV January 27, 2020

“I took Lipitor for three weeks. Three days into the treatment I had left knee and hip pain. I continued to take for another 2 and a half weeks in hopes the issues would resolve. My cholesterol was normal on a retest. However the extreme pain in my hip, groin and knee caused a severe limp. I stopped taking the drug and it took me 3 months and daily CoQ10 supplements to return my leg to normal. Since then I have gone on a diet, lost 10 pounds, eliminated white sugar and red meat from my diet. Hope that's enough. I would not recommend statins for anyone!”

Tal · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

“Taken before two other different times for high cholesterol, I quit because of stomach pains and bloating. This time I took 40 mg I took for a week it didn't seem to bother my stomach, I did notice gas, so I decided to quit again , just not worth the dangerous side effects. I'm not overweight I don't eat greasy foods , I do eat and drink sugar everyday. My cholesterol is very high , I'll ask my Dr. if there is another medicine to try, does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks”

Citybird57 · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2019

“Been on this horrible tablet two weeks never felt as ill in my life constantly feeling sick and dizzy and can’t lift my arms up and stop taking one for one day the next day I fell on top of the world top one the day after back to normal feeling sick dizzy sinus problems will never take them again will get my cholesterol down myself”

Anonymous · Taken for 2 to 5 years August 30, 2019

“Delayed side effects. Took years to realize statins give MEMORY LOSS BIG TIME and muscle pain and mood issues. And now discovering risk from high LDL is massively exaggerated. Having sufficient HDL is what matters. IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE LOSING MEMORY ASK THEM TO THINK BACK IF IT STARTED GETTING WORSE WITHIN A YEAR OF STARTING STATINS. Someone once did that for me. ”

Larrio · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 14, 2019

“I took lipitor for three months, then went thru a unbelievably hard time for 3 years due to side effects. I had myopathy ,neuropathy, rashes, upset stomach, extreme muscle pain, E D ,. Pyronnies, constipation, arthritis, short term memory loss, could not lift my arms above my head and horrible fatigue.”

changed · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 27, 2019

“The Lipitor worked for years then suddenly I had upper arm pains and couldn't move my arms without crying. I couldn't get up from the toilet or bathtub etc. I was a cripple. My cardiologist took me off the drug immediately and said not to every go back to it. After months the pain subsided a little but never came back to my original health. Can't walk much and have to stop every minute or so to rest my aching legs etc. Can't take care of my apartment anymore.”

Rossy April 1, 2019

“How is this stuff legal? 5 urgent care and 2 ER trips, and no one related the Lipitor to my pains. I had severe muscle cramps everywhere. Deep excruciating pain in glute muscles that had me in physical therapy. Itching and tingling on face and extremities. Sharp pain in various muscles that concludes with lasting aches and difficulty with motion. Fatigue too. Been on for over a year then looked up side effects and called my doctor. Took statin specific blood test and have to have test to see if my muscle fibers have broken down. I'm a walking side effect commercial...and it's not fun.”

Lilwsky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 4, 2019

“I’ve been on Pravastatins 20 mg. For 5 yrs. Cholesterol was 225. It never went down. I do enjoy my cocktails, wine in the evening..nothing changed. My liver enzymes for 18 years always stayed at 20-21 ( range is 4-43) in August 2018, went in for my quarterly bloodwork..no change. Doctor put me on Lipitor 20 mg with next bloodwork to be done in January. Well, I also started the Keto diet in January..high fat, protein diet..low carbs, sugar. Surprise!! My cholesterol went from 226 to 165! Glucose was down and very good! However..it compromised my liver.. my enzymes skyrocketed to 99 and 110 (again range 4-43) he immediately took me off Lipitor...now, he doesn’t want me to drink any alcohol for 2 months..test will be in March..so, what’s the culprit?? Diet or Lipitor? He said to continue with diet, just cut the fat down..”

Leisa · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 31, 2019

“Severe muscle pain, and skin pain couldn’t stand my bra touching my skin, my Dr. took me off of it, she said I should have let her know sooner she would have changed it.”

Beth233 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 7, 2018

“I am an otherwise healthy 23 year old female. My new doctor ran a battery of blood tests and discovered my total cholesterol was 272! Started me on 20mg lipitor which brought it down to 202 after 2 months. Dosage was increased to 80mg since I have experienced no side effects. It is now at 142 after 4 months in total. Doctor is considering adding something else to get it down a bit more in 2 more months.”

whitehead · Taken for 10 years or more July 24, 2018

“I'm 81 years old and have been on 40mg to 80 mg of lipitor for at least 10 years. It works wonders. No side effects.”

Tainbow · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2018

“I did not have a clue that Lipitor could give me so many severe side effects! Lower back, back of my legs, headaches, running nose, memory lost. I go blank for a few seconds, & lastly, speech impediment!!!! I have a medical appointment w/ my prime doctor next week & I will discuss w/him....”

DUKSTER · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 1, 2018

“Been taking 20mg for 3 months. Zero side effects. Triglycerides were 311. Most recent blood test showed 125, which is in normal range. Good cholesterol was 23. Now is 50. Very effective drug. Sorry to all those people who are having negative side effects. Try something else and good luck. All medications work for some and not others. Telling people not to try this drug because it didn't work for you is just plain ignorant. The world doesn't revolve around you.”

Meanmawmaw · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 10, 2018

“I too am taking lipitor. But my problem is how they change the shape and color. Now they are giving me peach and oval shape ones. I would like to know if anybody has these kind before.”

Rlanguasco · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 18, 2018

“I have been on Lipitor for 6 months. My cholesterol went down from 220 to 156, I was tested 2 months ago, therefore I hope it is going down. Fortunately, I don't have any side effect, Thank goodness.”

Be aware! · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 6, 2018

“My cholesterol level was 322 and my doctor prescribed Lipitor. I started to feel very weak. I was in pain constantly and I felt very tired and sore. I could not even do my daily chores. I thought I had some kind of flu. I continued to take Lipitor for about a year, and the symptoms just got worse. After the second year of taking Lipitor and my constant pain, soreness, and tiredness, and I lost my appetite. The doctor ordered a liver enzyme test. Lipitor was damaging my liver and I also was experiencing trouble with my kidneys. Though I didn't realized it then, Lipitor was the culprit of my aches and weakness, and was not effective in lowering my cholesterol much (only to 308 after taking Lipitor for more than two years.) I am not taking Lipitor anymore and I don't feel tired and exhausted. My doctor continues to ordered a liver enzyme test every year. It has never come back normal anymore. Please be careful!”

S.R. January 11, 2018

“Have been taking low dosage of this drug for 10 years. It's very effective. Has lowered my cholesterol dramatically, combined with exercise and low fat diet.”

MsAnniee · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2018

“I had tried about 3 statins and could not take them due to the aches and energy loss. I them was given lipitor. I took it for 3 months with no problem, then I start having memory loss. I stopped the drug and that had now been about 2 years. The loss is better but still comes and goes. Being a pharmacist I am keenly aware of side effects and that is major!!”

breezyzmoon · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2017

“About 2 weeks ago my Dr put me on Lipitor for my cholesterol. I've been having all kinds of side effects from it but I didn't realize it until today, I've been beside myself with itching, I keep getting these stinging sensations, like I'm being bitten by fire ants, I'm prone to insomnia (very severe) and it made it so much worse, despite the fact that I have been feeling I was coming down with something serious (constantly exhausted). I've even developed blisters in my NOSE! and I have the red spots it's insane. No joke I seriously have about 80% of the listed side effects even the unreported and rare. I hope no one ever has to deal with this craziness.”