User Reviews for Atorvastatin

Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease 4.5
Summary of Atorvastatin reviews 4.3 208 reviews

Reviews for Atorvastatin

Happy man August 7, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Before starting taking atorvastatin 10mg: 230 total cholesterol, 160 LDL. After 9 weeks: total cholesterol 145, LDL 75. I'm 45 old male. All my life I've been vegetarian and because I ate a lot of cheese and eggs (to try to get my b-12 vitamin normal), I think thats why I had high cholesterol. I'm stopping the statin. I'll check my lipid panel in a couple of months to see if with the diet alone (no eggs and cheese) my levels stay ok”

Fen · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 16, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Been taking this drug for 4 yrs now after experiencing a TIA followed by emergency carotid endarterectomy, cholesterol levels are good and have not experienced any side effects at all , all annual blood tests have been all ok .”

JT · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: “So I went to the doctor for peripheral neuropathy and back spasms. She does my bloodwork and my cholesterol is extremely high. She puts me on generic Lipitor and it made my back spasms even worse. Now my upper back has a tremor that still hasn't gone away even after quitting the drug 2 months ago. I have loss strength in my legs and I have terrible short term memory. It would give me dizzy spells and I just felt sick all the time. I'm still recovering from it and I told my doctor I quit taking it because it was making me shake. Now she wants me to start taking it again, but I'm not going to,”

Marty · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: “After taking Lipitor for a few weeks I developed pain in both my legs ,arms and shoulders . After three months all my muscles were heavy and under powered I could hardly exercise . I stopped taking Lipitor and some three months later I am nearly back to normal! Don’t take these drugs because it defeats the object . You need to exercise to reduce cholesterol however these drugs prevent you from doing so!!!!”

Mtngirl June 2, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I am so happy to see that it’s just not me having a bad experience with this drug atorvastatin. My LDL in March was 201. This was the only abnormal lab result. She put me on 10mg of Atorvastatin, daily. I asked of side effects and after the first day I had indescribable deep muscle pain. At first I thought I was getting another round of Shingles! I of course stopped taking it but adhered to the Plant based diet. In preparation of this mornings f/u bloodwork I took another yesterday with supper. Needless to say up all night with abdominal cramps, stomach pain, loose stools and nausea! So mad I called the Doctors office and cancelled my appointment! Never again!”

Dan · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 23, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: “Horrible drug! Was taking 40mg once a day. Side effects were just terrible. Headaches, nauseous, dizzy, spacey, and just felt terrible overall. After a few months I decided to cut my dose in half. The next morning still has some side effects but not near as bad as the prescribed dose I was on.”

Smoke May 3, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “My cardiologist finally talked me into taking this poison after 5 years of trying. Took it for a month. The first week I had severe cramping of my hamstrings. The second week foot, ankle, and knee pain. Fourth week all the previous symptoms with myopathy, back pain ,and gout flare ups. Stopped taking the poison(feel stupid I waited so long to do it). I had to walk with crutches for a week and after weeks still having trouble. I read an article that said 1 in 4 Americans take statins. However because the “normal” cholesterol numbers are being lowered which means more people will be diagnosed with high cholesterol that statistic is going to change to 1 in 2 Americans. If I would have continued to take the poison it probably would have helped To prevent me from having a heart attack or stroke. What good does that do me if I have a terrible quality of life by being crippled and miserable. ”

Momma · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 21, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: “Our mom took Lipitor and had a lot of swelling around her eyes, pale, weak, and her skin was peeling on her face.”

Robinjr2 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 12, 2020

For High Cholesterol, Familial Heterozygous: “Side effects from atorvastatin meant that I stopped taking it : tendinitis in hands and ankles, muscle weakness that was debilitating. It gets better later in the day but early morning is difficult. I have high familial cholesterol about 8 (reduced via statins from 10) but the 40mg dose hasn't reduced it further and the side effects are dire for me: doc says other treatments are available but it will take 3 months to clear.”

jbart · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “I was started on this on a Tuesday and stopped taking it by Friday. I was only prescribed 10 mg a day. The first day I started feeling nauseated all day and was unable to eat. I started getting headaches and was so sleepy I could barely keep my eyes open. I stopped taking it and still have muscle cramps and pains. I emailed my doctor. Never in my life have I had high cholesterol. Its only a little above 200. But my doctor seems super worried, so tried me on a statin. I do not recommend statins to anyone. This was SUCH an awful experience”

egore February 22, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: “After first week 80mg Lipitor a day extreme arm pain from armpit to elbow. Tendon pain in top of hand burning sensation of skin on arm shoulder blade pain. 2 doctors refuse to consider its the drug but I never had a problem before. They are saying it is a deteriorated spine. ”

Patient Zero · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: “Terrible! After a few days on this drug, I started having moments of "spacing out" - it was like my brain would go offline for a minute or two and suddenly reboot. Horrible feeling! Also: it is important to note that this drug is known to worsen symptoms of GERD (which I have). Lipitor made my GERD so bad that I was vomiting for hours after eating or drinking anything. I have tried it twice and had the same reaction both times. No thanks!”

Bones · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 30, 2020

For Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: “I was on statins for about 3 years. My cholesterol was never that high but my doctor was concerned about build up of bad cholesterol affecting my heart. Started zocor at 20mg and after 3 years 40mg. I had an experience of blurred vision and thought maybe should go to ER. They did MRI of brain and found I had very small old stroke. Before I was discharged Doctor changed me to Lipitor 40mg. Saw a neurologist and he did more brain scans with dye this time and also did a MRA of the veins from my neck. All looked good with no blockage and veins to brain looked good too with no narrowing. After about 3 weeks on Lipitor I got bad side effects with headache, brain fog and muscle ache in legs and back pain and dizzy. Played golf that day and was barely able to finish. Came home and after doing a lot of research decided to stop taking statins. The long term side effects are scary. I will watch my diet and control my cholesterol that way. Will never do statins again.”

WJV January 27, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: “I took Lipitor for three weeks. Three days into the treatment I had left knee and hip pain. I continued to take for another 2 and a half weeks in hopes the issues would resolve. My cholesterol was normal on a retest. However the extreme pain in my hip, groin and knee caused a severe limp. I stopped taking the drug and it took me 3 months and daily CoQ10 supplements to return my leg to normal. Since then I have gone on a diet, lost 10 pounds, eliminated white sugar and red meat from my diet. Hope that's enough. I would not recommend statins for anyone!”

T.C. · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 16, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Amazing results! My doctor and I are thrilled. 6 months ago, my total cholesterol was still hovering just north of 300. Today it is 165. Over 100 points cut from my LDL, and Trigs (Lovaza alone got these down from 400 to 250) went down a good bit too. All lipids are in the normal range for the first time in my adult life. No side effects at all.”

Godzilla · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 8, 2020

For High Cholesterol: “Wow! I was floored. Long time trying to do get my cholesterol low on my own with no medications. After finally trying atorvastatin 10 mg for the first time, it brought all cholesterol and triglycerides under control to more than acceptable levels. For now until my next lab test I will continue to stay on it. I am not experiencing any side effects.”

Tal · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: “Taken before two other different times for high cholesterol, I quit because of stomach pains and bloating. This time I took 40 mg I took for a week it didn't seem to bother my stomach, I did notice gas, so I decided to quit again , just not worth the dangerous side effects. I'm not overweight I don't eat greasy foods , I do eat and drink sugar everyday. My cholesterol is very high , I'll ask my Dr. if there is another medicine to try, does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks”

LMG · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I started taking 20mg because my doctor suggested I should be taking this due to my abdominal aortic aneurysm. I do not have high cholesterol, in fact I'm in pretty decent shape for a 52 yr old (non-smoking) female. I'm the type of person who would rather not take meds unless absolutely necessary. I read the side effects and became paranoid it was destroying my liver. (Had blood test & my liver was fine.) I did however go to work and was noticeably spacey & unable to concentrate. I stopped taking it immediately after that. Now they are pushing it again post Triple A surgery, even though my arteries seemed fine and cholesterol is still ok. I'm hesitant to give it another try but going to see how it goes. I know some people get very bad muscle aches & I'm praying that doesn't happen. Wish I could get the truth on this med.”

Db · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “After taking this medication I had a hard time swallowing and breathing. My tongue, lips and eyes were burning.I was not feeling well. I have not had this experience with other manufacturers.”

Sky December 16, 2019

For Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease: “After carotid artery surgery my doctor Prescribed atorvastatin 80mg. After awhile I began having leg, buttocks and back pain. I started feeling light headed and very tired. Wondering if this product causes muscle pain.?”

metaltech · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 12, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I was put on atorvastatin as a middle age male with a history of moderate hypertension. I had low cholesterol and lower good cholesterol but was put on it. Over a few years my blood sugar climbed to the point of being diagnosed as diabetic. Prior to starting taking atorvastatin I had very low blood sugar. The company's website tells you it will make your blood sugar rise but not make you a diabetic. I also had leg pain and cramping along with weight gain. I ended up with a rise in weight , cholesterol, blood sugar and then a heart attack. After convincing a new Dr. I was having issues with it I was taken off of it . My blood sugar has dropped out of the diabetic range, my cholesterol has dropped, my leg issues have subsided.I have lost weight. Thank you for listening Dr.”

twinkletoesnshoes November 26, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “Female, mid 50's. Height to weight is decent. Winter 2019 blood work showed 235 cholesterol reading. Thyroid was good, good cholesterol NOT so good. Doc suggested atorvastatin. I agreed, sure why not if it helps my numbers. LETS DO IT. 25mg atorvastatin. 1st week I noticed that I have zero desire to get out of bed. I am usually the first UP. That was red flag 1. Getting out of bed brought aches and pains that I didn't feel before taking this med. I started feeling like I was 80 years old Joint pain, muscle pain. THE pain would change locations daily, from arms, thighs, back, hands, knees, neck TO arms, back, etc.. I read to add QQ10 which I did. No help. Next My nose would start to run as if someone turned on a switch. My hair started to fall out. Experienced feeling dizzy some times. Could be bp meds. Now about my head my thought process is fuzzy. Last is the itching...arms and legs. Doc took me off. Ya think???”

Citybird57 · Taken for less than 1 month November 9, 2019

Lipitor (atorvastatin) for High Cholesterol: “Been on this horrible tablet two weeks and never felt as ill in my life. I am constantly feeling sick and dizzy and can’t lift my arms up. I stop taking them for one day and the next day I feel on top of the world, then take them again and one the day after back to normal feeling sick, dizzy, sinus problems will never take them again. I will get my cholesterol down myself”

Alpha November 1, 2019

For High Cholesterol: “I have been prescribed Atrovastatin for several years, and I have not had any problems with Apotex's product. The problem I have is my Pharmacy has closed. I wish to continue using Apotex's product, but none of the local Pharmacies ie Walgreens, CVS, Osco carry this product. I am retired US Army and Express Scripts does not carry this brand either. I refuse to accept any Atrovastatin manufactured in other countries. You are the only alternative.”

KB · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 23, 2019

For Hyperlipoproteinemia: “Thought I was getting Parkinson's. Drink plenty of water, strong, 59 and take ubiquinol. Was losing the ability to orient in space and time fell on brick stairs, could not get on or off escalator, tremors muscle and joint pain . Relatively severe cognitive impairment I would forget the subject of the conversation mid-sentence. Luckily forgot to take the atorvastin medicine for 2 days. The side effects started clearing. Read a research article- high insulin levels causes high cholesterol and high triglycerides. Ordered the test for insulin levels high. The research also suggests that high insulin levels are festering possibly for years before diabetes is ever diagnosed. Amazingly it looks like I do not have any plaque buildup in my coronary arteries. Not one doctor recommended an increase in fiber. ... started taking 25 grams of fiber every 1000 calories and taking alpha-cyclodextrin my numbers improved greatly. Will start niacin 4 times a day with food and hopefully that will help as well.”