User Reviews for Strattera to treat ADHD

Strattera Rating Summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Strattera

Shain · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 31, 2020

“Hello! Sharing my experience and hoping other people will comment things they had in comment with my experience. My Dr started me on 40mg of Strattera, first few days I had so much energy. I cleaned my house at 5am on my day off for no reason. About 2 weeks in I started to feel drowsy. Anxiety has decreased a bit, but I feel tired in the mornings when I take it. My doctor is now saying she wants to up my dose to 80mg and that it won’t make me tired. I started taking the 40mg at night and it not only makes me tired but makes me agitated and I can’t sleep.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

“This Strattera is the best ADHD medication I've had so far. It takes a LONG time to kick in. I was supposed to feel the full effects a month into taking it, but I didn't get them for maybe 2-3 months. However, it was worth it for me. Instead of just giving me energy and turning me into an emotionless robot like stimulants, it reworked my brain. My whole brain functions better now. I don't procrastinate, and I can pay attention and work better. I have branched out into different hobbies because it gives you motivation. This is in effect 24/7 because it doesn't leave your system or wear off like stimulants. Now, the side effects. I still zone out and dissociate. There is a decrease in appetite (not as bad as the stimulant in that area, though). I have vivid dreams/nightmares. I feel tired often, and nap a lot. Also, I feel more depressed in general. None of these side effects are very severe, but they can be difficult at times. However, I really do recommend giving Strattera a good chance.”

K February 27, 2020

“Strattera has changed my life!”

Maher · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 27, 2020

“Didn't feel anything but side effects”

Dream · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2020

“I have Manic bipolar / anxiety/ VERY POOR FOCUS and I take this with Buspar 15mg . It was really good the first 2-4 weeks I could focus I had a burst of energy I felt so good I could feel it working I no longer had racing thoughts I was so much calmer. But after the 4 weeks my poor focus came back I am now on 60mg once a day and still feel nothing I’m extremely agitated and annoyed with everyone yet calm as hell still but waiting to blow if u get that. It definitely helps with impulsive behavior and calming the mind and feeling low but maybe it’s the combination of pills I take cause I swear I rarely feel low anymore never been better I just hate that It doesn’t work as potently as in the beginning”

Philip V. · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 12, 2020

“I’m 18 years old, suffering from chronic depersonalization/derealization disorder (DPDR) and ADD. I was really thankful when I finally found out, that I have ADD. It explained every aspect of my life that I, my friends and my family couldn’t understand (you all know what I’m talking about). So I started using Strattera. On 10 mg, I didn’t feel anything. On 25mg I started having some problems with insomnia and little bit of anxiety. On 40mg I finally got to know, what real anxiety is. Staying up ‘till 3 am, sitting on my bed with racing thoughts, fast heart beat and high blood pressure. Being sure, that I have Schizophrenia and that I’m going to loose control of my brain. Waking up a few times per night, sometimes with hypnagogic hallucinations and feeling like a total trash throughout the next day. Also wasn’t feeling any relieve from ADD and my DPDR got significantly worse, ‘cause of all the anxiety.. Can’t blame the drug, every brain is different. I hope It will work for you. ;)”

Lizard · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

“I have been taking strattera 40 mg for a couple months now and so far so good. The main thing that I have noticed is how much calmer and less restless I am. I am not as easily irritated, I've been sleeping better, I talk slower, I interrupt less, I fidget less. My cravings for salty, sugary, greasy foods has also decreased substantially, and I am more inclined to eat healthy and more nutritious or filling food. I have not noticed many effects on my attention span, so even though my body has slowed down my mind still feels like it is zooming right along. For this I have been re-prescribed a low dose of vyvanse at 10 mg to take every so often (I took 40mg vyvanse for a few years prior to starting strattera). I am also on 150 mg of Wellbutrin.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 8, 2020

“I have been on Stattera for about 6- 7 years now! I had developed a viral infection which developed disability in my legs, arms, and most of all my brain. It can have some bad side effects. The best I have experienced from this prescription is that's it's a very great pill ! It can help you focus more, relax, and controls up and down mood swings. When I need to focus or calm my anxiety down I can use this medication. I have been on this medication for about 8 years now and I'm 21 going on 22! A very great medication!”

Barb · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2020

“I am 55 years old and, I have been taking 40 mg of Strattera a day for 2 weeks now, but I haven't noticed any changes or that it has helped in any way. I took 20 mg of Concerta/Ritalin when I was younger, and it always helped me within an hour of dosing. I read that it may take longer like 3 to 6 weeks to help me with my ADHD. I am going to continue taking it for 6 weeks and see what happens. Does anyone else have any experience to share?”

KB · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 23, 2020

“I've been on Strattera for two months now for ADHD. It took about 6 weeks for it to kick in and start working. I don't feel that it helps with all my ADHD problems, but it does help with a few. I've had terrible side effects, including loss of appetite (I've lost 10 pounds since starting the drug due to loss of appetite). I also get really bad hot flashes and any time I go into a moving vehicle I feel nauseous. I can't sleep at night and I can't stay awake in the day. The side effects are not worth the small benefit I get from this drug.”

Mikey · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 11, 2020

“It does work. But, give it two or 3 weeks. You will feel weird in the beginning and a little nauseous. It goes away. I do feel like I concentrate better and focus longer. Be careful with caffeine! It makes caffeine much stronger and last longer. After a few months while on it I get very irritable and tense. I need a break and let it wash out. No problems stopping cold turkey. Take 80mg a day. Overall, its good. Not perfect tho. Orgasms seem delayed for some reason and slightly less of a sex drive. No changes in weight.”

Mature Female January 5, 2020

“At 34 I started Ritalin. It had up & down effect. At 46, I began Staterra. Hated it. Gained 35 lbs; anxiety soared; was fatigued & lethargic. My current dose is 60mg 2x/day. I never lost weight, but I feel normal. I don't limit caffeine intake. I drink tea, no coffee. Anxiety & depression are better w/Straterra. Just added 40 mg Adderall as menopause dulls the effect of Straterra. It has caused high BP & urinary retention. Yet I haven't stopped Straterra in 14 yrs as alternative is dysfunction With my daily dose(120 mg)over the max, changing insur. & MDs involves much hoop jumping. Cost of Straterra (&generics) is very high. Some generics are not as effective. Overall, give it time to become fully effective, carefully weigh pros and cons, don't expect to eliminate all ADD behaviors, set realistic behavioral goals, & closely monitor self. Med is NOT a panacea; it is one tool on the journey to living as your authentic self.”

Ragedabyss January 5, 2020

“I will admit there has been a huge improvement in my ADHD since I started taking this Rx. And since I already take a depression and anxiety med I don't have issues with those. No the problem is that it's killed my sex life. My girlfriend and I used to have a healthy sex life but since I started this med my libido has all but gone, strange things happen during intercourse, and I have painful orgasms. I can't decide if it's worth it yet but I'm leaning towards no”

First time Strattera user. · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2020

“I’m a 27 female, previously diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I currently take Lexapro 10mg once a day, which controls my anxiety and the majority of my depression. Though my depression still exists and I have an inability to concentrate and I’m tired constantly. I started on Strattera 3 days ago, so I wanted to document my progress. On day 2 I started experiencing nausea and I took off work. My doctor suggested over the counter nausea medicine before medicines like Zofran, and it’s been helpful. I’m supposed to be careful and monitor my anxiety so that it doesn’t increase, but as of right now it’s under control. I lost sleep last night, but I took it in the morning instead, so we’ll see how well I sleep tonight. Update you all in a week.”

ghchgfutfu · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 2, 2020

“Started off on dose of 40mg Strattera, upped to 80mg after a month. Seemed pretty effective for the first few months, concentration was much improved. It is currently 18 months since I started and the effects have reduced to pretty much nothing and concentration levels are as low as they were previously. I also have serious sexual dysfunction as a side effect, including loss of libido, erectile problems and ejaculatory dysfunction. I wanted to go on Strattera to avoid the loss of appetite side effects of the stimulant medications but this also has some loss of appetite side effect. I hope to go back onto a stimulant medication soon after review from my psychiatrist.”

Mother of a Middle Schooler · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2019

“Our daughter started taking this medication in October for ADD after failing school. After a month, we noticed a huge change in her ability to focus and obtain excellent grades. She was finishing her work in class and doing extremely well compared to before Strattera. She just made honor roll and never fights or complains about school work anymore. Our only concern, is that we’ve noticed our 11 yr old loosing weight. She is skin and bones and has dropped a clothing size. She says that food isn’t good anymore and has to basically force feed herself. I’m afraid we may have to stop the medication if this doesn’t improve, which is unfortunate because it has so many great benefits and has changed our lives.”

ChriS December 20, 2019

“I was taking Concerta but had to go down from 54mg to 30mg because of side effects. With Concerta, I was saying everything that was on my mind and I still could not concentrate enough as my mind was all over the place. I read somewhere that combining Concerta with Stratterra has helped control more ADHD symptoms for some. Started 2 weeks ago on 18mg, and co-workers appreciate. It really gives me the couple of seconds to think about what I'm about to say, improved working memory, and I take it at night since it lasts almost 24 hours, when I wake up, it is easier and I get to work ahead of time. Starting on 25mg today and if still good, will not try and up the antes. Too much meds gives you side effects. So my goal is to be just ok, good enough to be a functional human being. Will let you know how it goes . I started with Strattera, now on the generic Pro Doc. Will tell you if I see a difference.”

Elle · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

“Not a good experience. My doctor wanted to try a non stimulant option for my ADHD first because she was nervous about my anxiety getting worse. This drug was NOT the answer. Stopped eating and sleeping after about 2 weeks, until I had a meltdown and sobbed in my boyfriend's arms for hours. She switched me to a low dose stimulant option and I tolerated it much better. It might be a life saver for some but it was horrible for me.”

Seatbelt · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 16, 2019

“This is my seventh time attempting the medication. I'm trying to do it right this time, no other choice. My experience has been to start at THE LOWEST DOSE... 10mg and stay on that for six to eight weeks before you increasing it. (10mg at a time) I usually expect and prepare for two weeks of awfulness in the way of side effects before things get better. I've learned to be VERY WARY of either nicotine or caffeine consumption with this medication. My experience with norepinephrine drugs like this is just a little bit of nicotine or caffeine sets off my anxiety and irritability. Helps me with psychosomatic pain along with cymbalta. Helps my anxiety. Increases alertness. Increases my focus but not nearly like amphetamine stimulants. Sexual side effects for me are not too serious. Orgasm as a male is irregular but I actually find it more pleasurable. I find it also useful not to combine much alcohol with the drug. Uppers with downers for me can be ugly.”

Jen December 11, 2019

“Game changer for me. 60mg for ~3y. Not magic bullet, but without it I couldn't be self employed. I still lose days immobilized or where all I can do is a few emails, but compared to weeks of incapacity without it. Eg without meds I can sit for hours thinking: “I need to do the dishes [add mental distraction here & repeat]”. Now I can go from thought to action; just get up and do the dishes!! When I don’t take it negative self-talk starts in my mind, from how frustrating it is to not ever shift from thought to action. I can really tell the difference Advice: 1) REALLY important, titrate dosage up SLOWLY eg a few weeks or a month 20mg, same 40mg etc reduce any side effects. Don’t go too fast or start on full dose. 2) I can't take it til AFTER I eat enough and wait for my digestion to awake, or nausea. I can’t just take it WITH food on an empty stomach or even just AFTER Breakfast. So I eat oatmeal and take the pill later after midmorning snack. Otherwise I’d rate 10/10.”

Hannah · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2019

“I’m only giving Strattera 2 stars instead of 1 because it worked for focus, but the side effects were horrible. The first day taking it, I felt great. I had enough energy to get through the day and I felt present and in the moment. Then the next day I started to feel really strange. I couldn’t sleep through the night. I was majorly wired. I started to not feel like myself. My head was completely empty. I felt like a zombie tbh. I didn’t find things funny and I started to lash out at people which I never do. By like day four, I lashed out at my dad and then I broke down. I cried and was becoming really depressed. When I went off of it, my imagination returned. It was kind of a scarring experience.”

Unorganized December 7, 2019

“Diagnosed age 46. Initially placed on med that works for son (methylphenidate - short acting 10mg) made me feel CRAZY - manic -like and my typical resting heart rate is 55 -on that it was 100, whoa uncomfortable. Psychiatrist switched me to Strattera 40mg x 1 mo. Side effects: sometimes morning nausea, intermittent dry mouth, mild constipation, took longer to orgasm, irritability. increased to 60mg x2 weeks then was supposed to go on 80mg. Insurance required a pre-auth so went off entirely for 1 month (gotta love US healthcare system!). Now last few days took 60mg a day for 2 days then 80mg a day for 2 days. Side effects: EXTREME nausea 1 hour after taking but was taking on empty stomach so will change that, dry mouth 1-2 times a day. Resting heart rate mid 60s. Haven’t tried sex yet, we’ll see. I am certain I am more focused. So far am happy w this. Worry a little about possible liver failure but that is very rare. Probably more chance of ending up in an accident from my inattention by NOT taking the pills.”

Cem · Taken for less than 1 month November 28, 2019

“This drug probably damaged my liver just in 4 days. I am 75kg I was using 40mg. I can feel tenderness-pain right upper abdominal that I never had before. I feel drowsy, depressed, confused. I would never recommend this drug. Especially to kids.”

T · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2019

“If you have interest in horrifying co-workers... This is the med for you. I took my 1st dose with a small meal at breakfast, within 30min I began to feel queasy, but brushed it off and headed to work. Within the hour - right in the middle of a meeting, I started turning green... Finally, I jumped up, made a mad dash to the bathroom, only to projectile vomit in my hands, on myself, and barely missed a coworker. I headed home, spent the next hour throwing up, slept another two & woke up tired, but fine.”

H November 19, 2019

“I’ve been on Strattera for almost a year. I am a 23 year old female with ADHD. It took about two months to finally fully work, but when it did and I got over the side effects I loved it. You will experience some nausea and stomach pain in the beginning and sweating or feeling lightheaded if you don’t take it easy. I recommend eating lightly with it and make sure you drink water so your stomach acid isn’t going toe to toe with extended release. You may vomit if you don’t take it with a little food. Give it time. I focus easily now and my life has drastically improved. I’m getting my masters and work full time, and the medicine also regulates appetite and seems to raise the metabolism. Good luck!”