User Reviews for Strattera

Learn more about Strattera.

Strattera Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 52 medications used in the treatment of ADHD.

Reviews for Strattera to treat ADHD

"I've been taking Strattera since I was finally diagnosed in February with predominately inattentive type ADHD and I think I might stop taking it altogether. It's helped with my attention span a little, but the side effects largely overshadow this. I have never experienced such agonizing headaches since I started taking this medication, to the point where I've had to call off work several times because I'm so nauseous from the pain. It might just be the combination of medications (I also take Wellbutrin, Zoloft, and Trazodone), but I'd rather live without the headaches than continue taking Strattera hoping it will one day work."

pandacity (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 19, 2016

"I have taken Strattera for almost 5 years now and its a wonder drug for me personally. Without this drug my mind really really races and I can help it with exercise and things like that to get the energy out, but I'm not on the same beat as others. When I take Strattera, everything slows down and I'm on the same beat and wavelength as everyone else. Social conversations go better and I'm able to stay on task with work and actually get things done. I've found taking it on an empty stomach can be bit sickening, but other than that no downsides for me. I take 40 mg 1 or 2x a day as needed and find it wears off in 6-8 hours for me. I'm extremely ADHD but have no depression at all, very happy person always have been."

techwiz123 September 19, 2016

"People bad talk this stuff but it has helped me immensely with attention span, focus, socializing, depression, and my executive function overall. Helped almost immediately for me. Very few side effects. Good stuff"

jonathan bbb September 13, 2016

"Great stuff. Like any ADD med, if you have underlying depression or anxiety, I can see how this could exacerbate it. Caffeine used to make me super depressed. Take care of your depression before starting a stimulant. Anyways, this stuff is great. Vyvanse would make me super edgy and basically feel like ripping the world's juggler out with my bare hands. This stuff feels like that peak 5 minutes of coffee where you're like 'damn I wish this could last all day!' I sleep way better, I have a ton more energy. Things done bother me as much as they used to so I can focus on my work more However, you should really work out to burn it off otherwise you could get a little aggressive. I know that I really don't put up with any shit while I'm on it"

Hugh Mungus (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

"Was only on this for 4 days. I yook 25mg in the mornings. The side effects were bad and got progressively worse. My head felt weird and also headaches that lasted hours on end. Took extra long to fall asleep the third day. I barely ate the third and fourth day because the naseua was so bad. I would eat something small then feel like vomitting. The last day I tried to take it before bedtime as directed to try to sleep through the bad parts, but ended up calling off work because of severe insomnia. I would not recommend this stuff for anyone. Stay away from this stuff!"

Annonymousss95301 September 8, 2016

"28 year old female.I have both positives and negative effects. I have been on Strattera for six weeks Side effects constipation,dry mouth,anger and terrible insomnia. I cannot sleep even after taking zoplicone 7.5mg I struggle and when I eventually do get to sleep I don't sleep for more than 5 hours and its always broken I wake up several times so am always left feeling exhausted. My mood swings however have massive improved, pretty much stopped which I'm very happy about. Only complaint with mood is that I seem to become very angry over little things, I have had several arguments when I have always suffered with anxiety so am not confrontational at all.I am not happy and going to consult my psychiatrist regarding changing meds"

Natalia56 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 8, 2016

"This drug literally sedates me lol. I honestly naturally function at 1000mph from the second I wake up. I've never had to drink coffee in my life until I started taking strattera... So I guess the drug made me normal. Also my troubles in school went away along with impulsiveness and bad decisions."

themankevin7 September 4, 2016

"I see a lot of mixed reviews on this. It's obvious this drug is EXTREMELY helpful on some and on others its completely ineffective, and can even do harm. My suggestion is to try it out for a month. If you don't feel the effects of it, try it for another month and if you still don't then switch to another drug. If you start feeling agitated by it, get off it immediately. For me strattera has worked wonders. I am 18 years of age, and have noticed the effects after my 4th week of taking it. My mind feels clearer, and I feel more motivated to focus on things I would usually find boring. The effects are reflected in my ACT score: my score has gone up a whole 6 points since first taking it. I wholeheartedly recommend strattera to anyone with ADD."

Ty111135 September 4, 2016

"This stuff must've been brewed up by a demon in the depths of hell cause it was awful. I can't explain the feeling when it kicked in other than I wasn't prepared and I could definitely feel it kick in. Also it was too much for me to really be helpful.. I felt a lot like i did when I tried to take vivanse once and it was so bad I threw the stuff away and years later I'm just trying to get back on meds. Well it also makes me really tired and agitated but it's difficult to sleep after it kicks in because for the next three or four hours if just hits me in waves. A week into taking it I started getting so bummed I eventually started feeling suicidal. Will never take this stuff again."

Shaky91 August 25, 2016

"I see a lot of people bad mouth this medication. It works extremely well for me, and I responded within just a few days. My psych doc says he has a number of patients that this med worked well for as well. It is also an effective antidepressant for me. Just my experience."

contemptforcommies August 18, 2016

"We started strattera 10mg then 18mg then 25mg for our 9yr old. In the beginning it was great, after about 5 days of each dose it was clearly time to increase to the next dose, but now we have been at 25 mg for over a month and the impulsivity and anger has gotten worse again over the past 2 weeks or so, and we can't increase the dose any further. Will be calling her doctor Monday to change to something else. An alarming thing to me is that she is also sad and crying a whole lot, which is new. This child never cried before."

LKR1204 August 14, 2016

"My 6 year old son (ADHD/Autism) starting taking Strattera about 6 months ago because he had a bad reaction to stimulant medicine. Was on 20 mg and it did not help him. The doctor increased it to 40mg and now he cries all the time and about everything. His concentration is still really bad. I will be talking to his doctor soon."

Jenn W (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2016

"I started taking Straterra in February of'16. About three weeks ago I began to cry at the drop of a hat. Three days ago my depression worsened and began to become almost delusional with themes of guilt. I feel better since I stopped yesterday and today. I will ask my Psychiatrist to take me off and commence with Vyvanse. Crying and emotionally labile isn't me. I'm glad I stopped it before I hurt myself."

James Blakely July 18, 2016

"unbelievably bad ,seems to exaggerate all of my adhd problems 4 fold . i started on 40 mg even though im 91kg in weight and ive read up and they say it should be a mg per kg . so im guessing my doc was cautious , not a bad thing.So i went to 60 mg things didnt change i was wanking 4 times a day and sleeping only 3-5 hours a night and hardly eating a thing .i cant be arsed typing any more"

steviesuperstar July 18, 2016

"I'm 36 yr old female who has been on Strattera for 8 months. When I started back to college full-time my focus was a mess and it took me hours to write the simplest of papers. Growing up I greatly struggled in school and clearly it was due to undiagnosed ADD. As an adult I was diagnosed w depression/gen anxiety but never found much relief from medications. Once I began the 80mg dose of Strattera, I was sleeping better, able to focus in class and at home while tackling work and much of my anxiety is gone. Over the break my dr suggested some people take a med break , so I did -- now realizing what a huge difference it made for me. Side effects in the beginning were heartburn, but I took a Xanax w dose and it subsided in about a month."

Stina9724 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 12, 2016

"This drug works mildly, not as well as stimulant medications like adderall. Unfortonately while it mildly boosted concentration and motivation it severely increased my anxiety, ,heart rate, and tremors. Stimulant medications actually decreased my natural tremors. My pupils were always dialated as well. To me this drug is a stimulant like super caffeine not a medicational stimulant."

Innattentinve ADHD July 4, 2016

"My experience with this drug is a bitter sweet one. However, the bitter side to it overpowers the sweet by LONG SHOT. Since I was a kid, I've had behavioral issues and it wasn't until I was in my mid teens that they began to truly effect my way of life and my relationships with those around me. I had been taking Bupropion in combination with Sertraline and had no serious problem or complaints. However, when I started to wean off of the Sertral and began taking the Strattera, I began to get irritated and just downright pissed off for no apparent reason. The slightest things set me off, and it's only gotten worse with increased dosage. I'm gonna stop taking it all together. Screw a bunch of this unprovoked anger stuff. It helps no one."

MrSixNineGod (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2016

"I'm giving it a 5 for the moment. I just started it last week and it looks like I'll have to commit at least 2-3 months to see if it really helps. The first week, I was on 25mg and I could feel the change in productivity and lack of procrastination. However, when talking to people, I almost felt like I was over focusing which resulted in not hearing what they were saying at all. I did have a couple of days of facial flushing and water retention. Today I started 60mg and I haven't been as lethargic and tired in a long time! I got hardly anything done. My eyes were burning because I just wanted to sleep. I felt down on myself for being so lazy."

Wildflower18 May 30, 2016

"Strattera was like water through my system, dirty water; did nothing except give me terrible distress: Stomach aches, terrible constipation, nausea, constant dry heaves, and, at last, vomiting that almost had me fail my last school semester. Oh, did I mention the irritability at all the side effects? Had to quit cold turkey"

Nicknasf May 23, 2016

"I have been taking Straterra for 2 years now! Side effects are awful at the beginning and last 6-8 weeks! I feel normal now and I don't have the irratability I had on other medicines. I think it depends on the person."

Mom of too many kids times 100 May 14, 2016

"great drug with few if any side effects.... especially in adults."

drwizard (taken for 10 years or more) May 2, 2016

"My Doctor put me on basically the fastest titration. 40mg for 4 days then 80mg after that. The first 4 days on 40mg were awful. The worst of the side effects being insomnia. I had to call out of the work for the a few days to catch up on sleep. I could not fall asleep at ALL. The Doc prescribed Trazadone to sleep. That helped after being sleeped deprived for a few days. I've heard of people upping their dose and having the side effects lessen and positive side effects increased. WRONG. First day on 80mg I had crippling nausea, body aches, massive headache, off the chart irritability, burning urination (with white discharge), and thoughts of SUICIDE. No joke. I've read of people having this happen them but it's a rare side effect."

M Ricci April 27, 2016

"Diagnosed with ADD this year, I initially wanted to go without medications. Being a senior in college I have deadlines, and I noticed my grades suffering significantly. I decided to give medications a try. My doctor prescribed a 6-wk starter pack of Strattera (25-80mg). I noticed a difference in attentiveness but after week 4 I felt lethargic, unmotivated, sad, impatient, VERY irritable, and depressed. I didn't go to class, didn't turn in homework and my grades took a deeper dive in that month. My psychiatrist then prescribed Vyvanse (30mg). I have been on it for a month and it helps ME stay focused without losing sleep and decreasing my appetite, best of all my grades are improving! My worse side effect is dry mouth. Hope this helps(:"

Ther314 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

"I have had ADD for several years now (I'm 24). I was taking adderall for a while but it flared up my anxiety. I am now prescribed Strattera, and so far, no good. I'm only on day 3, but I feel absolutely exhausted and irritable. Considering giving up on it because it's the end of the school semester and I can't afford to feel this tired with all the work I have to do."

KylaJoy April 14, 2016

"I have never been diagnosed with add or adhd but was having trouble concentrating. I approached my doctor and he prescribed this drug. It worked perfectly. I no longer have problems paying attention and am doing extremely well in school. My inattention did not return after I stopped this medication."

Anonj26 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2016