User Reviews for Aripiprazole

Also known as: Abilify, Abilify Discmelt, Abilify Maintena, Aristada

Learn more about Aripiprazole.

Aripiprazole Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 33 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Aripiprazole to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Abilify (aripiprazole): "Yay!Love abilify. I'm 56, started on lowest dose 3 weeks ago and my thinking process has never been so normal. Way more motivation. Feels like a miracle after decades of mental torment. My doc will probably increase my dose a bit in 2 weeks. Looking forward!"

Suki56 (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "Did nothing for my delusions and hearing voices. It only made me twitchy, unable to sleep, agitated and gave me extreme tremor. On only 5 mg. I much prefer olanzapine, more effective with milder side effects."

BabygirlXOXO February 21, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "I am very happy with Abilify. I have been on it with Lexapro and klonopin and I am feeling much better than I was. I can make firm decisions. As a matter of fact I bought my first home at 58. I take care of my own finances and for the most part I am very pleased with my adulthood. I am a wonderful grandma and my babies love me. It is awesome to be me. I feel free and "human ". I am blessed!!!!"

Noblee (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 8, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "I've left an experience description on this site, on July 1, 2016. On the plus side, I'm still calm, socially acceptable, void of psychosis, anger, am kinder and gentler. But I've and continue to do so, developed anxiety. It is accompanied by a strong depression. The quality of my life has taken a turn for the worse for the last two months or so. And it is constantly getting worse. Today I took half a tablet of Clonazepam, as suggested and prescribed by my psychiatrist for exactly this reason. Anxiety, panic. And it helped!! But I resent to have to take a pill for such deeply disturbing and serious a side effect. Especially one such pill that is potentially extremely habit-forming, tolerance-developing, and dependence-training."

KarinthyFrigyes (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 2, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "I have taken Abilify for 11 years now and although it worked wonders at 1st, I have developed a rather severe case of tardive dyskinesia which makes sitting still almost impossible. I believe that after this length of time of taking it it is losing its efficacy. The parkinsonian like symptoms of the tardive dyskinesia are also embarrassing and make simple things like typing on my phone difficult. It definitely helped with my violent tendencies. Still I am ready to look for an alternative second-generation antipsychotic."

Janeykins (taken for 10 years or more) December 30, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "It's work wonderfully but it's extremely expensive if you don't have great insurance."

Raven8721 December 19, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "Been on Abilify for 8 years. It completely removed my delusional thinking patterns at just 5mg and at 10mg it resolved a mania psychosis, and helped me get my life back on track. Only side effects were insomnia (which I took Imozop for) for when I initially began taking it, but 2-3 weeks after trial I was side-effect free."

Sal_j (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Latuda and I heard it was good with Abilify for paranoia or as an extra antipsychotic but no it was not. I was doing much better on Latuda fully motivated to do everything I ever wanted to do then I got a psychotic episode got added Abilify to my Latuda I had no motivation whatsoever. I was living in another world with no consequences that turned into a hell and my life was ruined forever and I couldn't do anything about it with the lack of motivation or able to do anything except be really angry with my family for so long. I never used to be that angry or hostile with them before that or at least it wasn't fake. I'm on 12 mg of Invega and 325 mg of Lamictal and doing much better now."

alligator112 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 13, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "Am 62. Been diagnosed at 20 with Borderline Personality Disorder, at 21 with Schizoaffective Disorder, then in later years with Autism and Asperger's syndrome. I am not sure which I am. (Plays into my theory that there is only one mental disorder, which has many different manifestations.) Had been taking antipsychotics from 20 to approx. 50, when I was switched to an Risperidone. Since 61, been on Abilify. Calm living, declining positive effects I feel, dosage needs to be adjusted (up) occasionally. Get mild anxiety attacks once a month, alleviated with Clonazepam. Socially better, forgetful, can't recognize faces, lose names. Crystalline memory improved. More mature, wiser, but hopelessly inept at seeing details, visuals. LOST 10 lbs."

KarinthyFrigyes (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 1, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have endured 10mg for 9 weeks. It has been a living hell. Can't sleep more than 3-6 hours a night. As time went on, I have felt more agitated and stressed, which never goes away. I keep getting the urge to shake my legs. My symptoms haven't improved. I'm not taking anymore of this drug - had enough. My pdoc gave me some clonazepam for 3 weeks, which helped a bit, then 2 weeks of melatonin, which didn't do much. Now for the last 2 weeks, she has ignored me. I don't tolerate psychotropics that well."

Jonny1980 June 29, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"For the past two years I have been taking Abilify aripiprazole 5mg per day. I have so much more motivation and energy compared to when I was on a low dosage of Rispardal. The only disadvantage is that it is very expensive and I don't know how much longer I will be able to afford taking it. My question is - will there be a safe generic coming out soon? My condition has always been hard to classify - either Bi-Polar or Schizoaffective disorder. I feel well, and my psychiatrist agrees since I have switched to Abilify which I call a "wonder drug". The side effects I experience are frequent urination and a dry mouth where I am constantly thirsty. I can live with that. I do not drink alcohol. Generally speaking I feel far more "creative ""

adequate (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 12, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "I developed severe akathisia (restlessness) while taking this medication. I had a difficult time sitting in one place for more than a few minutes and it was absolutely exhausting. I also developed insomnia and TD (tardive dyskinesia) and altogether I would say this medication was very difficult to tolerate. I was happy to be taken off of it."

Nicky890 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "Horrible side effects. Triggered a depressive episode and could not sit or stand still at all when on this med. Just rocked back and forth. Hated it."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "Having increased hallucinations and paranoia, and feeling isolated. this is making it hard to get out with people, and I have been on 10mg. Good things are I am feeling more active in general, taking better care of myself. Not too happy with the amount of voices that occur when on this med. It has made me more hungry, and restless."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "Took care of the positive effects of schizo and most of the negative ones. Gave me medicine induced akathisia, which I take propranolol for. That is the only reason I gave 8/10"

MDizzle January 16, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "I was recently diagnosed schizoaffective, at 30 years of age. I've been on 30 different medications, ranging in all of the psychotropic med. spectrum. Abilify, at 10 mg., has stopped the; delusions, paranoia, depression and visuals. I am in full remission with the aid of paxil and remeron. Initially, abilify can cause some insomnia. Ask for a sleep aid. I used remeron for sleep. I highly recommend Abilify for schizoaffective disorder. 1 week should have results. 2 weeks peak plasma concentration. Peace"

B strong (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2015

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "I'm 66 years old and had been treated with a myriad of drugs for bipolar and schizoaffective disorder including psychoses, mood swings, delusions and hallucinations for over 30 years when I was put on Abilify. It was like someone flipped a switch and I got my life back. I am virtually symptom-free for over twelve years now and the only side effect has been some weight gain which, at my age, is a fair trade. Truly a wonder drug."

Scaaty (taken for 10 years or more) October 7, 2015

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "I took Abilify for over a year, at 30mg. I remember a few pros and cons. Pro: I became ok with not having to talk, explain, or stir up 'energy' at public gatherings. (Took away the "prophet - tell them or they'll all die" urge completely.) Pro: I could complete projects without superstition or worry that every tiny detail could lead to catastrophe. Con: Severe Akathisia (very painful, and pain wasn't managed at all in the hospital. This is why I don't take anti psychotics anymore!) Con: Loss of creativity/writers block Con: Very flat personality. Con: Visual, auditory and tactile hallucinations did not go away so they kept increasing dose to highest dose - still never went away. If there was no pain, I'd give this a 9."

I'mNotSureWhatMyNameIs (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 6, 2015

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've only been on it about two weeks and already feel the benefit and I don't feel sedated with it"

daisyvalduke October 4, 2015

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "The medicine helped tremendously with my paranoid. However, I had insomnia and gained 45 pounds the six months I was on the medication. For health risks, I had to be taken off the medication."

OlivuaJade2306 July 16, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "Abilify keeps me very well, and has improved my life, after spending 13 years sedated, this was a relief! Only side effect I get; bladder weakness."

Natalie*** (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 21, 2014

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "Definitely my favorite. I'm so put down by my mood stabilizer that I never got manic on it. Weight gain for me is self induced, not medication induced. It ups a lot of things that make you smarter. Scholastically I do well on it. Nice medicine."

Ianguitarist January 19, 2014

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "I have been on Abilify for about 14 years and I have found it to be very beneficial. I suffered from verbal and visual hallucinations. Thanks to Abilify I have been symptom free for a number of year. Thank God."

Yoda1977 (taken for 10 years or more) October 29, 2013

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "I am thirty three and I have schizoaffective disorder. Ability gave me the energy to make it through the day and run after two kids. It's the best medicine I've ever been on. No side effects. Stopped drinking and pills. Doing much better."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2013

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Abilify (aripiprazole): "Works for me!"

Under Control (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2013