User Reviews for Aripiprazole to treat Borderline Personality Disorder

Also known as: Abilify, Aristada, Abilify Maintena, Abilify MyCite, Aristada Initio

Aripiprazole has an average rating of 7.0 out of 10 from a total of 30 ratings for the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder. 57% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Aripiprazole Rating Summary

7.0/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder.

Reviews for Aripiprazole

Candychan · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 12, 2021

“I have been on and off this medication since I was 16 years old. I’m now 26. It is the ONLY THING that has ever worked so incredibly well for my borderline personality disorder (BPD) with BPD I have intense, frequent mood swings, suicidal depression, outbursts of rage, and periods of apathy and numbness. The Abilify gets rid of all of that for me!! I can’t really live a decent life without it. Whenever I get off of it I feel okay for a month and then BAM all my symptoms return. I know this medication could potentially cause tardive dyskinesia but I feel I absolutely must stay on this medication. It makes everything seem so...bearable! I don’t lose my temper or lose hope, like I do when I’m off Abilify. I got off of it due to weight gain, but honestly I’ve always had a weight problem. I do believe the Abilify exacerbated the issue, but I need the medication to function properly. I know it’s different for everyone. But thank goodness it works for me!”

Nev · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 3, 2021

“I am diagnosed with BPD and ADHD. I was put on this Aripiprizole after suffering a psychotic breakdown/insomnia/mania/suicide attempt and so on. My hallucinations/delusions went away IMMEDIATELY and so did my uncontrollable rage which led to self harm. It has massively helped my social anxiety/panic attacks. Also, since being on this medication I have managed to sleep 8 hours a night which I never have before in my life (I'm 29yrs old). I have gone from 5mg to 20mg and have had NO side effects whatsoever. Aripiprizole is AMAZING and I would not be here if it wasn't for this medication.”

MamaBear · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 5, 2018

“I do not know about other medication to alleviate BPD symptoms. So I have nothing to compare Abilify with. I've been taking Abilify, 10mg, for over 2 years. Doing great, I decided to stop it. Within a few days, BPD symptoms came back.... mood swings, rage. I'm back on Abilify and I feel much better again. It was reckless of me to think I could do without.”

Female30 · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2016

“I have been on Aripiprazole for 2 weeks for BPD, alongside Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) therapy. It has changed my life! My marriage was almost at the point of divorce due to my paranoia, questioning, accusations and general anger including violence. I have done not a single one of these since the first day I took this drug! I also had a very serious suicide attempt and have not wanted to do nothing like that since. It's a wonder drug, I thank God I found it. The only side effect I have is restlessness, during the day I cannot relax but at night I sleep perfectly. The restlessness is a bit annoying but I am being so productive and have done so much more in these last two weeks than I have in a year. My husband is so glad to have the woman he met back by his side!”

Nicki · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 17, 2020

“I have borderline personality disorder. Since I started on the medication I haven’t dissociated as much as before at all. Barely anything across years. Huge plus. I’m also not as suspicious/paranoid socially/interrelation-wise as before, which used to really muck me up. So that’s huge. I feel like I’m just more ”sane” and my mind is not as scattered or neurotic/paranoid. I’m still not sane and I’m still neurotic lol and there’s a long road to recovery but I definitely feel a difference from this medicine. It’s like I got one little extra layer of skin to protect me from my hyperrr-sensitivity. Thankful for this medicine.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2017

“I have only been on Abilify (5mg) for 2 weeks, but this drug has completely changed me for the better. I am able to process emotion so much better. I no longer jump to conclusions, feel paranoid, full of rage, or frantic. I feel so much more stability in my emotions -- and my loved ones feel the difference as well. This drug has given me my confidence back.”

ndr_mlt November 3, 2020

“Aripiprazole dosage: 10mg for 9 months, 15mg since August. Pro: I have to say it works very well on anger outbursts and irritability (better than quetiapine XR 300mg). I don't have had more self-harm and pseudo-epileptic episodes. I can better manage frustrations and dissatisfactions, without more explosions of hopelessness and despair. Overall my mood is stable and my social functioning has had a drastically improvement. Cons: I'm a bit restless but it's manageable. In my case the side effects are primarily aesthetics. I gained 7kg from January and I have lost good part of my dense crown. No EPS. Conclusion: Overall I stay better than before. I shaved myself and I'm starting to do some physical activities to balance out the weight gain side effects. I continue to have social anxiety disorder (I feel a prey of others eyes) that doesn't responds to SSRI. So my quality of life is still low. But I advise Abilify for BPD: if you don't have my comorbidities it could work for you”

Hsherman27 January 5, 2013

Abilify (aripiprazole): “Abilify is a miracle for me! I had tried, lithium, Risperdal, Depakote & they never worked. I know it does not work for everyone because everyones brain's are different but it WORKS for me & I am finally the person I have always wanted to be. I actually stop & think rationally in negative situations, when I used to react inappropriately with anger & then regret what I said or my actions. I have depression, severe anxiety and BiPolar Disorder (because of childhood trauma) and I am happy for the first time in my life. A Dr. prescribed it to me about 4yrs ago & I guess it was fairly new and I did not have insurance at the time so it was going to be $425 (too expensive) for a months supply & didn't get it. That is one of the biggest mistakes of my life so far.”

Kay July 7, 2018

“Wow. I did not think that any medicine would ever help me with my BPD. I have only been on it a little more than a month, but it's worked wonders. If it's going to help you, it may even start kicking in after 2 weeks or so. I feel so close to normal now. I am on an antidepressant too, but of course, it does nothing for my BPD. I was looking for a medication for my BPD that could lessen the intense symptoms, and give me a better base for my emotions that my brain just could not give me with this illness. I knew that it could help with my parnaoia, but it has helped with that and so much more. I have not had a bad day on this medication. My emotions are in check, my ideation is gone, and it's really hard to have a bad day or be in a bad or negative mindset. I don't get stressed and flustered as easily. All my symptoms have been lessened or helped, it's been a wonder drug for me.”

Eb October 11, 2019

“I was on Abilify for about 3-4 months. And don’t get me wrong, it worked for my BPD but it also brought on Akathisia. Made me really anxious and restless ALL THE TIME. And most recently it’s thrown me into a depressive state. In the last few weeks to a month I haven’t felt like myself and I don’t enjoy doing the things I used to. My doctor just recently took me off it so I’m excited to feel myself again. I wouldn’t knock it until you try it bc it did work for me, the side effects just got to be too much to handle. But everyone is different.”

Cyr · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2019

“I was put on Abilify for Borderline Personality Disorder and it helped my anxiety and mood swings a lot. Although, I had to lower my dose so my insurance would cover it. I had the shakes so bad that it was really hard at the start. It was a chore just to live thru that. But it helped my moods a lot. After 2 weeks on it, it kicks in full force and made me feel like I was constantly on a caffeine high but without the anxiety of it. I was so happy, and was finally able to live. But after the dose got lowered, I panicked and quit my job, walked home, accepted a ride from a stranger, argued with my partner, and had a mood swings. So don't mess with missing doses at all.”

Thefamilyman · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2020

“Abilify was horrible for my wife who was on it for 6 months. She started on 5mg and was bumped up to 10mg after 2 months. Abilify caused her to gamble online which she had never done before and spend hundreds on items we did not need. It also caused her to have an affair. When I sat down and asked her to think back what caused her to do these things she stated it was the urge for excitement that pushed her to do these things. This medicine should not be prescribed to anyone with side effects like this. I don't trust the percentages are accurate. If the percentages were 1 in 100 chance of having this happen to you or your loved one its not worth it so why even consider it for 1 in 5 chance. They need to ban this drug.”

May · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 26, 2021

“Abilify has helped me so much, I have borderline personality disorder, so medication is used to treat our symptoms, not illness. Abilify has greatly decreased my mood swings, helped with my angry outbursts and also helped eliminate most of my paranoia. It does make me a little anxious and I've been a little bit nauseous but other than that I've had close to no negative side effects. I haven't gained weight either which I know is a concern for most people before starting. I've been on it for roughly a month so far and. I'm at 5mgs, I hope this medicine helps you as much as it's helped me”

Cat · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 12, 2018

“I was put on aripiprazole after my impulsivity and mood swings got out of control. Been taking 2.5mg for almost 2 years and I feel much more in control of my emotions. As for the side effects, I had trouble sleeping the first week I took it but that went away. I also rapidly gained weight, I'm about 40 lbs. heavier than when I started. Losing the weight is slow, but possible.”

mAnger · Taken for less than 1 month January 29, 2020

“I’ve been on this drug, Abilify, for a week now and the side effects were almost instant. The first day I took the medication (5mg) I was dizzy and had a drunk feeling. But went away within 5-7 minutes. Day 2-3 I began to itch and feel as if bugs were on me. But to be fair I had just taken a hike and found ticks on me and I believe it unfair to say the itching was a side effect because of the psychosomatic effects of ticks. Day 3-4 I had RLS and couldn’t stand still without rocking or moving my legs. Also I would have headaches in the evening time. On a scale from 1-10 I would say about a 3. Not crippling but definitely annoying. Also I find it a little difficult to carry on a conversation because I feel kind of spacey throughout the day. Yet I am aware and alert. The positives are I feel more calm and level. I would have major anger outbursts. I still have them but they aren’t as long or detrimental. I am really looking forward to when the medicine takes full effect.”

lola · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 26, 2018

“I've been on aripiprazole for about a month and a half now, and it really helped me. It makes socializing with people so much easier, and I don't get crazy ideas about how everyone hates me and I stopped being paranoid. The only downside is that it gave me restless leg syndrome.”

Sapph · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 7, 2018

“I was on aripiprazole for borderline personality disorder (multiple changes of antidepressants during this time) for 5 years.. It was great at first for the first year and a half, believed I was heading in the right direction (10mg at the time) dosage was increased to 15mg. Became very emotionally numb. Bpd symptoms intensified. Dosage was then increased again. 20mg. Basically became a zombie by this point. I personally don't like this medication and I don't believe it's the one for me”

Danijoy January 19, 2016

“I call abilify my miracle drug. I have been on a lot of medications in the past, and nothing has worked as well as abilify for stabilizing my mood and reducing paranoia and anxiety. I get a pretty rare side effect called ocular gyric crisis so I take artane as well to counter the side effect and it works well. Although I have a horrible side effect from abilify I am still very happy with it. The only problem is that it is expensive and Medicaid refused to cover it unless I tried 3 other meds from the same family. I am on number 3 (I tried geodon and seroquel and they made me exhausted and am giving risprisol a go) but so far nothing has been as effective as abilify. I am hoping Medicaid will cover it soon. I was on 20mgs daily”

Siouxsie · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 24, 2018

“Been on just about every oral drug known to be prescribed for irratibility/ mood swings. Sometimes the drugs would work for a short period of time, but would always lose efficacy in a short period of time. Was put on abilify injection 13 months ago, has not worn out and my mood remains stable and irritability is at bay. It is very very hard to lose weight on this drug. I have a very restrictive diet with tons of excercise. Weight loss is very slow- but possible. This is the only side effect I have from the medication.”

Heatherd · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 2, 2021

“This medication does nothing for me effectively except flatline my emotions - and I definitely can't find happiness in life if that is occurring. Part of true happiness is being able to feel your own art of sentiments and hormonal fluctuations - none of which Abilify enables me to do. So it's no good. I am not just going to settle for a fancy pharmaceutical product that knocks out my depression by numbing me. That's unacceptable. I'm a human being - not someone who is okay to trade off on MDD pain in exchange for some unfeeling disconnect. I cannot think with an interest and to compile on top of that, my bodily tension is 10x worse. I cannot sleep even when I think I might finally be sleepy! And the ironic thing is: It's a total nightmare! And to exacerbate all of this - I'm simply not me anymore. I can't associate to align my own thoughts with an identity. That's not okay.... I am discontinuing this. I will continue taking my Celexa and that is good enough for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2018

“I have taken it for 3 days now but can’t handle the side effects. The worst thing about this drug is the crazy headache and nausea it gives me. I also can’t sleep at all cause everything is so itchy. But some drugs aren’t meant for everyone. I have also tried Seroquel and it made me really sleepy but after having slept for a few hours I felt so much better and in control of my emotions.”

Alisonhendix March 24, 2017

“I had taken Abilify (Aripiprazole) for around 6 months when I decided to stop taking it. Not only is it super expensive, but I found It didn't work for me at all. When I first started taking it I was very sedated and tired. Eventually It had no side effects on me, but no positive ones either! My mood swings were constant and my outbursts weren't any less. Nobody in my immediate family who were aware of my BPD noticed a difference. It didn't work for me, But it is definitely worth a try because it doesn't have any major side effects like weight gain. Just very pricey.”

janeo · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 1, 2017

“I've been on 10 mg for about three months and I am feeling pretty good except I'm having trouble sleeping. My paranoia and suspicion are still real bad. I will be asking for an increase and starting dbt therapy!!! I'm excited feeling it.....”

Alyroz · Taken for less than 1 month October 5, 2017

“I was recently diagnosed with BPD (25yrs old-Female) I took abilify for 3 days, unfortunately I couldn’t handle the side effects. For me oddly it intensified my anxiety and feeling of panic. I would constantly get hiccups and the sweats. The worst thing though was the itchy feeling of needing to get up and do something or feeling trapped and anxious and needing to runaway. It also made me very hungry and even though I would eat I wasn’t satisfied. I’m trying Topamax next... we’ll see.”

SMB310 August 14, 2016

“Minimal side effects and was glad to begin to lose the weight gained with Olanzapine, which I had been taking before, and also wave goodbye to the severe sedating effects of Olanzapine too. Started on 15mg and noticed my mood swings were more manageable. Then as they began to resurface a short while later (first severe depression then rapid cycling) all I was offered was higher doses of Abilify: 15, 20, 25 and have now been on 30mg for nearly 2 yrs. Abilify has not helped my mood swings at all and am now working with Dr to come off. An overall low rating for Abilify to treat BPD as medications only manage the symptoms and not causes of BPD, I have since learned. It helps contain the symptoms for some, it just isn't for me.”

Learn more about Borderline Personality Disorder