User Reviews for Adalimumab to treat Ulcerative Colitis

Also known as: Humira, Abrilada, Cyltezo, Hyrimoz, Hulio, Hadlima, Amjevita

Adalimumab has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 48 ratings for the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. 44% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

Adalimumab Rating Summary

5.5/10 average rating

Compare all 116 medications used in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis.

Reviews for Adalimumab

Vod · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 12, 2019

Humira (adalimumab): “I have been on weekly doses of Humira for 5 years now. My Ulcerative Colitis (UC) is very much under control. People need to realize that not all drugs work for everyone. I am lucky Humira has worked for me. The only side effects I have are constant runny nose, mild stomach aches and minor joint pain, which can actually be from the U.C and not necessarily the Humira. For those that find the injections painful, I suggest you let the pen warm up for 20 minutes before you do your injection. I don't like taking any meds, but when you have no options, being on Humira is a much better than having severe U.C. symptoms all day and night.”

Em January 30, 2019

Humira (adalimumab): “I usually would have a mild flare once a year. 2018 was the worst year for me EVER. I was so sick so I was originally put on remicade... I had lots of side effects and eventually built up antibodies. Then I started Humira <3 I do the pen! The shots don’t hurt at all (I do them in my stomach) I take 40mgs every two weeks. I’ve been on humira for a few months and I can say I’m 100% UC symptom free!!! Which I’ve never been able to 100% say before. Thank you Humira for saving my colon and giving me my life back!!!”

Hickiemon · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2013

Humira (adalimumab): “Was on Remicade for over a year, which cleared the ulcerative colitis within a few weeks. However within two weeks after the Remicade I started having arthritis systems that got so severe I was taking Vicodin every 4 hours and still unable to sleep, or just do usual chores around the house. My hands were so swollen, I couldn't use them. Finally Dr. decided to try Humira every 2 weeks. I have gone back to doing most of my chores, walking the dogs and my hands are no longer swollen. I am starting to feel like a normal person again. Have only had three injections, which sting like the dictions for a few minutes but it is worth it not to be in pain all the time. I hope this continues.”

Beck · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 6, 2019

Humira (adalimumab): “I am 50 years old and have had UC since I was in my late 20's. I was on Remicade from 2006-2014 when it just stopped helping my symptoms. I have been hospitalized many times for UC and on the Remicade, when it was working it was wonderful. In early 2014 my symptoms returned and I felt horrible for months and that is when my Doctor prescribed Humira 40mg. every other week. I started in July of 2014 and have had NO UC symptoms at all. It has been a lifesaver. I have to have a colonoscopy every 2 years due to my UC and my last one in Jan. 2017 showed NO signs of the UC...Doc said best scan I have had in 10 years. Humira is so worth it and much easier than Remicade.”

Familyguydad December 11, 2019

Humira (adalimumab): “After being on Humira I have severe from of bipolar disorder severe depression anxiety emotional instability panic attacks anger rage sadness memory issues etc a complete personality change. These symptoms creeped in slowly but worsened to the point that I was really struggling mentally in every aspect of life. It was almost like an out of body experience the way that drug effects your brain is dangerous.”

Aune January 26, 2017

Humira (adalimumab): “I had been on almost every medication and was on Prednisone for 2 years. I was at the end of my rope and thought I'd never get better. I reluctantly took Humira and I was so scared of giving myself shots. After the initial loading 4 I cried. I started out taking a shot every 2 weeks and it took me quite a while to actually depress the injector. I have now been on Humira weekly for over a year and my life is quite different. I am glad to get up in the morning, happy to go to work, elated to go the grocery store - all without scoping out a restroom first. I feel alive for the first time since I was diagnosed. I wait everyday for the Humira to quit working and I hope it doesn't. For now I'll take what it has given me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 16, 2020

Humira (adalimumab): “Hey everyone! I decided to write a review because I was extremely nervous about trying this medication due to all of the negative reviews on here. My U.C. got really out of control without me even realizing it throughout college, and eventually I decided to take charge of my health. My GI and I discussed all options and decided Humira was a good fit. I have now been on it for a year and fully in remission!! No blood and very little mucus for the last 7 months. I was discouraged because I saw no improvement for about 3 months but I began to feel so much better soon after. I have not been sick from the immunosuppression at all, I was also worried about that. Give this medication a good try and give it some time if it is a good fit for you!!! Good luck everyone!!”

Buddy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 31, 2020

Humira (adalimumab): “My daughter is taking Humira after all other treatments for UC have failed her. Her GI doctor just told her once you start Humira (she has been on it now for several months) you cannot stop using it. Stopping could result in a massive flare up and loss of her colon. So she has to take this stuff, which can have unbelievable side effects, her whole life? Has anyone else's doctor told them this?”

Kevin Babb · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 12, 2021

Humira (adalimumab): “I noticed a few bad reviews so I wanted to share a good one. Started January 7, 2017. Still on Humira and in remission. My insurance agent made it 8 years and I just met a friends buddy who is in year 11 of remission on Humira. Give it a go! If you’re at the point of looking up reviews on meds, you need to try for yourself. Just because one person had a bad experience doesn’t mean you will. Good luck!”

Nikki May 5, 2021

Humira (adalimumab): “I have been diagnosed with UC since I was 16, I'm now 37, so I have been on a few different medications to keep me in remission in those 21 years. I started with Remicade for a few years, but would still have flares, so then I was on a few pills while still taking Remicade. Started with Sulfasalzine (caused bad cramping in my joints) Mercaptopurine (6mp) which caused pancreatitis, which was the worst pain ever, then off and on steroids of course. I have been on 40 mg of Humira every other week for over 11 years at this point. The only few times I have been off of Humira is while I was pregnant twice during those 11 years, and once when I didn't have the insurance coverage because I changed jobs. (I had the worst flare of my life during that time without the insurance for 3 months, couldn't keep any food down, had internal bleeding and had to be rushed to the hospital after a colonoscopy) that was in 2016. Humira has been the only thing that has stopped me from having any flares.”

Ally · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 4, 2020

Humira (adalimumab): “I was on Humira for 6 years from 2013-2019 with pretty good results. I had a bad flare up of UC and began Humira and saw results within a month. I've had a couple minor flare ups after taking humira, but it was fixed by adding a suppository for a short time. For the most part I had achieved good remission on Humira and pretty much forgot I had any issues to begin with. I never had to change my diet and continued moderate exercise. Switching insurances and doctors can become a pain to keep on schedule. I had to quit taking humira for 6 months after 6.5 years on it because I moved states and couldn't get into a new doctor soon enough and my insurance had changed. I finally started taking it again a week ago, so I'm not sure how effective it will be this time around. Cross my fingers it still works because I started having UC symptoms again.”

badgerfan · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 9, 2018

Humira (adalimumab): “I fought my Dr. for almost 4 years until my symptoms of bleeding, excessive pain, cramping, diarrhea, urgency to go...all of it became unresponsive to prednisone, enemas (Rowasa, steroids), suppositories (Canasa), and my oral medication (delzicol). 3 days after starting Humira-I was basically symptom free. Had I known what I know now, I wish I would have started 4 years ago. Giving yourself the injection isn't pleasant and I have gotten some local reactions on my stomach (red marks, itchy, bruising) but basically I don't care about any of that because I have "normal" poop again! I am 28 years old and got diagnosed at 21 (though had symptoms prior for many years that they blamed on IBS)”

03 Grunt · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2017

Humira (adalimumab): “I have had ulcerative colitis for 25 years have tried all the different medications .I have had to take 10 mg of Prednisone daily for 25 years, if I did not take it I went right into an outbreak. I've been on Humira for the past 5 months. I have not felt this good in 25 years . and it has worked very well for me .We will see how it works long-term .I'm finally off the prednisone and I never thought that would happen.”

BridgetteSelf April 18, 2017

Humira (adalimumab): “I started taking Humira January 2016 after remicade did not work for me. I used to always have to scope out a bathroom when I went anywhere. If it did not have a bathroom, I would not go there. I was always scared that my stomach would hurt when there was no where for me to go. But after humira, I can actually go somewhere and not worry about where the restroom is! I can actually sleep all through the night without waking up from stomach pain. I still can not eat red meat, not a lot of fried foods or drink alcohol (besides white wine). But humira has given me my life back!”

leela · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 5, 2020

Humira (adalimumab): “Began starting doses of Humira last May, then had to stop and restart my previous medication. Began starting doses again in September, and noticed an improvement within a month. I was better than I had been, although my injection site reactions seemed to vary and sometimes caused great irritation. Now after 9 months, my symptoms are starting to come back again and I fear I will have to start a new medication again. Oh well, this is how it is for us.”

Kemalist · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 27, 2020

Humira (adalimumab): “I have been suffering from ulcerative colitis for 15 years, I used to survive mild cases at the age of 60, there are very long attacks now, remissions have decreased. When the cortisone was insufficient, I started the Humira treatment, I started to improve after 9 weeks, now I am in good condition, there is no toileting problem, occasionally muscle pains and one There was some hair loss, but it is gradually decreasing. The 3-month treatment is about to end, the doctor said, 'Humira' continue every 15 days. I am happy for this period.”

howie feltersnatch · Taken for 5 to 10 years September 23, 2016

Humira (adalimumab): “I have been on Humira since 2011- It takes care of my psoriasis and ulcerative colitis. I can actually have a life thanks to Humira. Before I used to take cortisone shots into my psoriasis every few months with steroid creams. I also used to be on the toilet all the time. I was hospitalized in 2010 because I had a fever with a bleeding diarrhea. I lost much blood and the fever would not go away. I finally got back on my feet. Since then I run 5-6 times a week and squeeze lemon juice after runs. I have had no infection or colds in years and Im on Humira. I also do not eat fast food much anymore and cook for myself. I understand there are some risks with this drug so be careful. I am thankful to the universe bc so far so good. thanks Humira”

Matt G · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 27, 2019

Humira (adalimumab): “Humira was awful. Has very harmful effects. I have ulcerative colitis and medical cannabis put me in remission. This is a pure money maker. I'm from mass where its legal and if anyone has cannabis legal in state this could be an option. The Humira was awful for me.”

Ang June 30, 2019

Humira (adalimumab): “I've been on different forms of mesalamine for years, in addition to prednisone. I've been fighting to get off the steroids for the past two years, but it's been a losing battle. My doctor recommended Humira. After the initial dose, I felt great. I took my second dose little over a week ago. My BMs haven't been great this week, and I saw some blood, but I'm once again seeming off the 'roids, so I blamed that. A few days after my last dose, I started feeling extremely lethargic and depressed. I've had a low-grade fever for days. On top of that, headaches that easily become migraines. If it was just that, I might have just chalked it up to coming off the prednisone, but the worst side-effect is that my memory has been alarmingly bad. Now that I'm doing more research on the drug, I'm regretting trusting my doctor and not getting the facts myself. I'm not planning on taking the next dose.”

SickthanksTohumira September 17, 2015

Humira (adalimumab): “I was put on Humira on June 10, 2015 for severe to moderate ulcerative colitis. I in total, received 7 injections (including the four injections and then two injections at once for the start up). On July 5, I woke up with severe stiffness and pain throughout my entire body. I called my doctor and was advised to drink a lot of water and take a couple of Tylenol. I didn't listen and googled my symptoms. After testing with another doctor, I was diagnosed with drug induced Lupus. In addition to this, I lost about 35-40% of my hair, developed psoriasis all over my face, legs and chest and developed pins and needle feelings in both feet and legs. Take this med ONLY when you are willing to suffer these side effects because they can/do happen.”

Humira hell · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 21, 2019

Humira (adalimumab): “I was on Humira for 12 months before being hospitalized with a serious opportunistic infection caused by Humira. At the same time I developed 3 types of psoriasis which a dermatologist has confirmed in writing is a paradoxical medical condition caused by Humira. As a result I have lost 50 percent of my hair as the scalp psoriasis is so bad. It is also difficult to walk due to severe pustula psoriasis on the soles of my feet. I am a 48 year old female and this drug has been devastating for me. Please think very carefully before taking this awful drug as the potential side effects are horrific.”

Mnm15d · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 15, 2016

Humira (adalimumab): “Have been taking humira for my severe ulcerative colitis since 2013. This drug has worked wonders for me I sometimes forget I have colitis. Only side affects I've seen are sensitivity to the sun and recurring infections...would take that over spending the day in the bathroom.”

Joey, M 28 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 17, 2015

Humira (adalimumab): “Been on Humira for 6 months, had 14 injections. It hasn't helped my UC symptoms at all. The injections burned really bad for several hours. Then the skin around the injection site become red, raised, and very warm to the touch. The patch became bigger and bigger after each injection. I have been more tired than I've ever been before, and barely have any energy to do anything but go to work. Over the few months, I've had a few incidents of cold-like symptoms; fever, sweating, chills, that lasted sometimes more than two days. As for my UC symptoms, there's been no change, and they possibly even got worse. On a typical day, I have 10-15 bathroom trips. On a bad day, 20 .”

Turtlepants October 24, 2018

Humira (adalimumab): “I have severe Pancolitis. I tried every medicine (except Remicade) and nothing helped. I HATE needles so I was very hesitant to try Humira. BUT, my symptoms were so horrible that I would do anything to not have to lay on the bathroom floor in agony as I couldn't get a ride to the hospital and couldn't leave the toilet, again! I have to say this has been a miracle drug for me. Don't get me wrong - I have to avoid dairy (and, for example, last night I found some peanut butter-filled chocolate Twinkies --- heaven to me - so decided to just try one (or two) at night and see if I could slide these in--NOPE - at work today had an accident and other unspeakable things happened so won't do that again). Anyhow, I digress.....LOVE this medicine - HATE the shots but they are quick. Just shoot the pen...wait for the "swoosh" sound and you are done! This medicine has changed my life. I keep hoping that it will continue to be this way forever. I can dream, can't I?”

Troy · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2020

Humira (adalimumab): “Been on Humira since September for Ulcerative Colitis. It works. Trying to figure out if it is causing constant sinus problems. My Humira nurse ambassador and my GI Dr. either deny it or are oblivious to my sinus problems that I blame on Humira. I lose sleep because of sinus problems / sinus medications, but at least I am not losing blood in diarrhea/ going to the bathroom 6+ times a day while flaring. I hope to adjust or get used to the sinus problems and affects on my sleep. I take Humira once a week. GI Dr. wanted to be me on Azothioprine as well, but I am against adding another immune - system suppressor.”

Learn more about Ulcerative Colitis