User Reviews for 5-hydroxytryptophan systemic

Insomnia
5.2

Summary of 5-hydroxytryptophan reviews 7.2 85 reviews

Reviews for 5-hydroxytryptophan

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "Retired LEO ( Law Enforcement Officer) with PTSD & GAD. Have tried the Big Pharma route, assorted Tricylics, SSRI'S and many drugs that had names ending with "Pam". All had major side effects so gave them all up. Been drug free for over a decade but its been a daily battle with intrusive thoughts, mood swings, depression, over the top anxiety, lots of nightmares, flashbacks. Finally gave this a try. Started with 100mgs per day in conjunction with b complex vitamins. After a week, I must say that I'm feeling more grounded than I have in years. Even my wife has noticed a big difference. Going to increase it another 50mgs per day and we'll see how it goes from there."

Jiggs (taken for less than 1 month) October 1, 2018

For Depression: "Taken for depression every day by mouth with a meal. No stomach discomfort as I eat each time. No frame of reference for not eating with capsule. Brand is "Basic's" ordered from local pharmacy. 100mg/d for two months. Started losing efficacy after about 30 days. Switched off for 15. Started regaining depressive symptoms. Switched on and it's fine now. As for what it does, good mood is increased and anxiety somewhat managed better. A wonder drug while it works. Major depression for 7 years, this is the only thing that makes life a bit more bearable. Seems to lessen the emotional effects of PMS. Sleep is shorter but more fulfilling. No more 12 hour slumbers. I would definitely recommend that you take. Start small, switch on and off as needed. I take in morning for depression and anxiety. At night would probably be better for sleep. It tends to work in under an hour."

sudonim (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 26, 2018

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "Just started and noticed the difference overnight. No more stomach churning or ulcer like pain. Was tested for ulcer- negative. Feeling relaxed and a lot smoother. A little dry mouth and I know there's something in my system but no overwhelming or harsh. Started with 50 mgs."

gbgould (taken for less than 1 month) September 13, 2018

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "5HTP has helped me manage my anxiety and after years of PTSD related nightmares, I'm finally sleeping properly. It's helped massively with suicidal ideation, even during better times the intrusive thoughts were always lurking. For the first 7-10 days I did have quite noticeable side effects, headaches, feeling nauseous and shaking a little but I continued to take it as TBH it was better than side effects of prescribed anti depressants I've experienced in the past , which is probably not the most sensible but now I'm happy I did. I take this with a combination of L-tyrosine and B vitamins and magnesium. Probably also worth mentioning is the ease I've managed to sort out my binge eating, I've lost 13kg in the last 4 months which has been a fantastic thing for me and now my BMI is back in the healthy range."

Anonymous August 24, 2018

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "Took 100mg about an hour and a half ago and I feel so comfortable like I the air is giving me a hug, almost like I am lightly stoned. his could be a total placebo effect, as it’s the first time taking it but I hope not. I’m also very content, nice long deep breaths, extremely calm. I look forward to the next couple of days/ weeks taking this and will keep you posted. I usually have social anxiety but couldn’t tell you if it has any effect on the severity of my anxiety as of yet as I’m in my home (I never get anxiety in my home) , will go to work and see... :)"

Cas April 24, 2018

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I was recommended this by a close family friend who also suffers from anxiety. I took 50mg a couple of times a week a few months ago and didn't notice a change or any negative side effects at that time. I have been feeling more anxious over the past few weeks due to hormonal imbalance/other issues so I decided to try again one night when the anxiety was really bad just to see if it could alleviate some of it. I took 1 50mg capsule about an hour after dinner and for the first few hours after I took it I actually felt noticeably less anxious. At one point, my entire body felt very peaceful and relaxed and almost had a warm feeling to it. It did not help me sleep though like some people commented, I woke up multiple times throughout the night and tossed and turned and then around 6AM woke up feeling nauseous, wide awake, and anxious again. I'm not sure if this is because of my hormonal imbalance issues right now or side effects from this, but not sure its worth it to try again."

Anna April 24, 2018

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I switched to this from Zoloft. I am doing so much better. The zoloft caused pretty severe side effects, but this has no side effects for me. My mood is better, my sleep is better. I am under the careful watch of a naturopath. This in combination with a B-complex (to help natural serotonin production) has made me a completely different person. Hallelujah!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Headache: "5HTP has made all the difference to my life. I have suffered with debilitating menstrual migraines for years, also PMT/depression. This wonderful natural drug takes the edge off it massively and enables me to function much more normally. I take 200mg at night about a week before my period when I feel my head/mood change. About a week after my period when I typically start to feel more normal, I reduce to 100mg. Unfortunately, I can't manage without it now, but it has no side effects so I am extremely thankful for it - it has literally saved my life."

Devon (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 27, 2018

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "Only started taking this for a few days. After experiencing mild anxiety and insomnia I Started with 200mg and noticed immediate improvement with sleep and anxiety. I found a boost in concentration and therefore better memory which helped with work & socially . 200mg was a high dose to start off with, in which I had nausea. Some tips for people. Start at 50mg if first dose, and consume with a light carb heavy meal, avoid caffeine if possible. I feel like that if you cycling use (I.e 1 month on 1 month off) it will reduce the likelihood of tolerance & dependance. I decided to not take it for a day and noticed withdrawal anxiety, it may be worth tapering off dose instead of going cold turkey. To conclude, this is excellent for anxiety and sleep. Although not for everyone."

Medman5 (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2018

For Depression: "I suffer from insomnia, mood swings, depression, anger, outbursts of anger, I was always mean. I have sadness and feeling of doom to where I do not function well in life. It affected my relationships with people in a bad way. No one liked me. Doctor would not renew the antidepressants that were working. I tried this and had instant improvement! I sleep better, I no longer flip out like a crazy person over the smallest of things and I handle stress much better. I am less depressed and have a better quality of life. Only side effect is I am groggy during the day"

kclady48 January 20, 2018

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for : "Hi there, in SA I took Tryptophan over 15 years and melatonin and felt fine. For pain and sleep!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 14, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I've only been taking 5-htp for a few days to see if it helps my anxiety at all, and already it definitely does seem to do something! It makes me feel very warm and relaxed, like there's a deep relaxation in my chest and stomach, these effects start within an hour of dosing."

Christopherson December 6, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "Well I had high hopes for this supplement and must say it didn't work for me. I had stomach cramps, fatigue and overall sense of anxiety. Unfortunately a waste of money for me."

Naturefirst (taken for less than 1 month) December 4, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "So good for short term use. I used for over a 2 year period cycling it out every 4 months for 4 weeks. Took it with magnesium at bedtime and found it very helpful for reducing attacks. Also had very restful sleeps with it."

Mrs.v (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I have been on anxiolytics and antidepressants for 15 years. I wanted to give them up and go natural. I must say, I can not believe it has not been recommended to me before! I guess it's because it takes away from their business. My first 200 mg dose, I became a little nauseous but I hadn't eaten before taking it. I am amazed at how my mood has improved. I also used to smoke marijuana and when I stopped, I missed the way it gave me patience with my children. I would smoke and all of the sudden, the messes and yelling didn't bother me. Unfortunately it's not legal in texas so I needed to stop. After two months of irritability, I have now found some thing natural and legal that gave me my patience back and my children their loving mother back!"

Carbear November 6, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I was very optimistic about this supplement. Unfortunately for me personally I had major sharp pains in my right side of my abdomen (possibly my liver). It even woke me up at night. I couldn't take it anymore as it seemed unsafe to continue. The brand I used was "Now" brand. Maybe it was the brand. However I would caution others to be careful if they also get sharp stabbing pains. Happy it helped others. Didn't agree with me."

Michelle7171! November 3, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "Used this for moderate anxiety and depression at 400mg 30 mins before bed it worked very well, I take this 3 months on with 1 month off."

Mark68888 October 7, 2017

For Anxiety: "After being on Zoloft, I thought it was hopeless until I tried 5-HTP. I've only been on the drug for 2 days, but already feel a tremendous sense of well being, which I never felt on an anti depressant. I guess if you need an anti depressant for something more severe, go for it. Although I could see this drug used only for mild depression and anxiety, some part of me believes it could be used as a long term medicine for some. I have nothing but positive results so far!"

Kody Lee (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2017

For Anxiety: "I am a 32 year old female with anxiety and HTP5 works great for me. It slows down my thought spirals and I don't have a racing heart anymore. One tablet in the morning and one late afternoon, the calming effect lasts all day. I've never felt sick or nauseous from it, but I do get very vivid dreams. Fortunately I wake up very calm. I'm so glad I tried this."

kate85 (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I started to feel its effects fully after about a week. At first I didn't think it helped with my mood much, that my mood had improved on its own. However, when I stopped taking it my mood dropped to how it had been before. I take 400mg in the evenings and feel calmer and sleepier. Haven't noticed any side effects. Give 5-HTP some time to work, at least a few days or maybe a week. It is a great alternative medicine, in my opinion."

nicola2492 July 26, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I have Opioid withdrawal induced anxiety / low energy. After decades of opioid usage I've suffered from anxiety - I'm assuming from excessive noradrenaline (norepinephrine) that's known to be produced in withdrawal. (Slow, easy withdrawal - minor problems, after a big use up - crazy nasty anxiety). I've been taking advised dosage of 5HTP for about two weeks and it has helped with the anxiety to such an extent I'd currently describe it as completely abated. What's more it has totally reinvigorated my 'mojo', for want of a medical description. Years of opioid use leading to my current successful but slow withdrawal have left the old brain chemistry all over the place but this has given me new confidence and energy. I strongly recommend this supplement on my personal experience to date."

Code9n (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "So far its working great"

Wwpae June 11, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "5htp has changed my life ! After trying tons of antidepressant medications none of them are working so I decided to try something natural five HTP is amazing and helps with sleep, helps with stress and just makes you feel like a wonderful kind of you. A good feeling all the time, I love it and I recommend it to everybody"

Red 19 (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

For Insomnia: "I have been unable to sleep for years and have tried everything from OTC to prescription without much relief. I read about 5 HTP (100mg) and decide to try it. At first it seemed to help somewhat, but not a dramatic change. I then added 5mg Melatonin and that seems to do the trick. I am sleeping a lot better, although not through the night. However, now when I awake I read about 30-45 minutes and then go back to sleep for the remainder of the night. I sometimes, also take another 5HTP. Overall satisfied with results. I am definitely sleeping better and longer."

Goochy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "It has been the only thing that has relieved my symptoms of depression and anxiety and possibly my pain. The only downside is that it makes me vomit, make sure you eat BEFORE taking it. Also can make stomach hurt and nauseous. That's the only reason I didn't give it a 10."

5htp (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2017