User Reviews for 5-hydroxytryptophan

Also known as: 5-HTP

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about 5-hydroxytryptophan.

Depression

Insomnia
5.2

Summary of 5-hydroxytryptophan reviews 6.9 73 reviews

Reviews for 5-hydroxytryptophan

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "So good for short term use. I used for over a 2 year period cycling it out every 4 months for 4 weeks. Took it with magnesium at bedtime and found it very helpful for reducing attacks. Also had very restful sleeps with it."

Mrs.v (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I have been on anxiolytics and antidepressants for 15 years. I wanted to give them up and go natural. I must say, I can not believe it has not been recommended to me before! I guess it's because it takes away from their business. My first 200 mg dose, I became a little nauseous but I hadn't eaten before taking it. I am amazed at how my mood has improved. I also used to smoke marijuana and when I stopped, I missed the way it gave me patience with my children. I would smoke and all of the sudden, the messes and yelling didn't bother me. Unfortunately it's not legal in texas so I needed to stop. After two months of irritability, I have now found some thing natural and legal that gave me my patience back and my children their loving mother back!"

Carbear November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I was very optimistic about this supplement. Unfortunately for me personally I had major sharp pains in my right side of my abdomen (possibly my liver). It even woke me up at night. I couldn't take it anymore as it seemed unsafe to continue. The brand I used was "Now" brand. Maybe it was the brand. However I would caution others to be careful if they also get sharp stabbing pains. Happy it helped others. Didn't agree with me."

Michelle7171! November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "Used this for moderate anxiety and depression at 400mg 30 mins before bed it worked very well, I take this 3 months on with 1 month off."

Mark68888 October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "After being on Zoloft, I thought it was hopeless until I tried 5-HTP. I've only been on the drug for 2 days, but already feel a tremendous sense of well being, which I never felt on an anti depressant. I guess if you need an anti depressant for something more severe, go for it. Although I could see this drug used only for mild depression and anxiety, some part of me believes it could be used as a long term medicine for some. I have nothing but positive results so far!"

Kody Lee (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety: "I am a 32 year old female with anxiety and HTP5 works great for me. It slows down my thought spirals and I don't have a racing heart anymore. One tablet in the morning and one late afternoon, the calming effect lasts all day. I've never felt sick or nauseous from it, but I do get very vivid dreams. Fortunately I wake up very calm. I'm so glad I tried this."

kate85 (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I started to feel its effects fully after about a week. At first I didn't think it helped with my mood much, that my mood had improved on its own. However, when I stopped taking it my mood dropped to how it had been before. I take 400mg in the evenings and feel calmer and sleepier. Haven't noticed any side effects. Give 5-HTP some time to work, at least a few days or maybe a week. It is a great alternative medicine, in my opinion."

nicola2492 July 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I have Opioid withdrawal induced anxiety / low energy. After decades of opioid usage I've suffered from anxiety - I'm assuming from excessive noradrenaline (norepinephrine) that's known to be produced in withdrawal. (Slow, easy withdrawal - minor problems, after a big use up - crazy nasty anxiety). I've been taking advised dosage of 5HTP for about two weeks and it has helped with the anxiety to such an extent I'd currently describe it as completely abated. What's more it has totally reinvigorated my 'mojo', for want of a medical description. Years of opioid use leading to my current successful but slow withdrawal have left the old brain chemistry all over the place but this has given me new confidence and energy. I strongly recommend this supplement on my personal experience to date."

Code9n (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "So far its working great"

Wwpae June 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "5htp has changed my life ! After trying tons of antidepressant medications none of them are working so I decided to try something natural five HTP is amazing and helps with sleep, helps with stress and just makes you feel like a wonderful kind of you. A good feeling all the time, I love it and I recommend it to everybody"

Red 19 (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "I have been unable to sleep for years and have tried everything from OTC to prescription without much relief. I read about 5 HTP (100mg) and decide to try it. At first it seemed to help somewhat, but not a dramatic change. I then added 5mg Melatonin and that seems to do the trick. I am sleeping a lot better, although not through the night. However, now when I awake I read about 30-45 minutes and then go back to sleep for the remainder of the night. I sometimes, also take another 5HTP. Overall satisfied with results. I am definitely sleeping better and longer."

Goochy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "It has been the only thing that has relieved my symptoms of depression and anxiety and possibly my pain. The only downside is that it makes me vomit, make sure you eat BEFORE taking it. Also can make stomach hurt and nauseous. That's the only reason I didn't give it a 10."

5htp (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I felt great...very calm and confident. But combining 5-HTP with alcohol has caused adverse reactions. Additionally, I feel a sudden down swing, sometimes, and take a second dose, each dose being 50 mg. Since the supplement I take called Medulla also contains GABA, I am not sure I am doing the right thing, especially drinking up to 4 glasses of wine per night. Lately, I have poured the wine out, because I've felt odd. I am afraid that combining this with other supplements I take, plus Avapro for hypertension might eventually do harm, as the depression feels on the edge of returning and I feel agitated at times."

Portend April 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I have been troubled with severe generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) and social anxiety disorder for several years. I occasionally get panic attacks as well, and I struggle with insomnia. I have tried escitalopram, venlafaxine and sertraline in the past; and while they all helped a lot (specially the first 6 months) they did by no means take off more than 40-50% of the anxiety - max. I have been on 5-HTP for 1 week now. I am astonished of how well it works! I have absolutely no anxiety left! I feel completely normal... I don't have social anxiety, I don't even think or worry about issues that I usually always did and that has tormented me so long. Of course all this can be placebo, but I have tried many medications and no one can compare to this!"

Sufferer of GAD + insomnia April 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I have been taking 5-HTP for about a month now for depression and mood swings. Works on depression and moods but over the last few days I have been experiencing severe stomach cramps. I have not changed my diet and still doing and taking everything as normal. The only difference is that I had added 5-HTP to my daily diet. After experiencing these stomach cramps I decided to research these effects it was having on me. Apparently stomach cramps are a well known side effect of 5-HTP so I have decided to stop taking them and try something different. "

NoNickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "So far so good as only on it for about 5 days at 300mg per day. I have combined it with multi vitamin, vitamin b complex, niacin plus vitamin c. I am reducing big pharma medication to almost nil and feel better with 5-htp. Better sleeps, better days as I divide the dosages at breakfast, dinner and before bed. Big pharma medications only mask up the problem whilst this feels so normal."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I've usually been able to pull myself out of episodes of anxiety/depression through CBT and other non-drug strategies but this was becoming harder and harder to do, especially after the death of my dad. Long story short - I looked into non-pharmaceutical supplements because I'd sooner be sad and anxious than foggy and addicted. 5HTP helped me and I have experienced no side effects. I take it at night, am able to sleep well with no residual grogginess in the morning. Am I a happy person now? No, but I'm not miserable and my interest in life is increasing. I'm more optimistic which in itself is a big deal and I'm finding that I'm not going down the 'dark path' of negative thoughts as often or for as long."

HotelMusic April 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "Took 50mg sublingual this morning kicked in about 30 minutes longer.. Had not eaten.. Wanted to see how it worked.. I am bipolar.. GAD and PTSD. I do suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. Made me feel happy but it caused me too much mania meaning high and very anxious. Increased my talking. Did give a boost but not great for anxiety. I have just eaten so it would bring me down some."

Pink sunshine (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "This stuff works great! For people that get sick or anything I'm just going to tell you, most likely you got serotonin syndrome from it because of too much of the chemical in your system and that is dangerous so be careful. I do note that it makes me sleep super well but the grogginess tends to linger around and I need a couple cups of coffee to cut through it. That being said I have that niarvana feeling of calmness and clarity. My mood and motivation is improved massively as well. I had especially hard times with waking up and getting started in anything that includes things I love doing and finishing things, after taking this it right away really sparked up my missing link. I will probably get st. Joins wort for tolerance breaks."

Aldoyle (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "It's caused mixed rxn, often awake and cannot return to sleep. Foggy feelings during the day, with occasional odd sense of impending doom. Anxiety that keeps me indoors...But, when I decide to go out despite odd feelings, I find myself to be strangely aggressive. It's a seems that I'm less tolerant to other people. For example, there is a cashier who is always rude, a real eye roller, with frequent head shaking and sighs. Well, after she rolled her eyes at me for asking for a pen, she reluctantly smacked down on the counter. I tossed it at her after using it. Hmmm, this is odd behavior for me, I usually don't react to other people like that..So, I've decided to quit this 5- Htp for now. I could end up doing something that gets me on the news"

Intentionally Blank February 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Insomnia: "It helped me sleep at 1st for a few days and even slowed my brain down from racing thoughts but the past couple days its not been working. I have been up all night tonight as well as the night before. Also I have been having headaches that don't go away with ibuprophen. I am gonna try and only take 1 a day instead if 2. My husband got me this to help me sleep. What he didn't realize is I was sleeping it just took me a couple hrs sometimes. Occasionally maybe 10 times out of a yr I can't sleep all night. This is my 1st time taking meds and I don't know what to do. Ugh I am not happy. $22 down the drain."

Joyfuljennie86 February 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I am 24 and have suffered from depression and severe anxiety since I was a young teenager. I've attempted suicide and been on tons of antidepressants which didn't help. My brother researched natural medicine and found this to treat his depression plus st johns wort in the mornings, and I decided to try it per his recommendation. So glad I found this. I finally feel like life is worth living and have hope in the future again. I take the 5-htp at night because it knocks me out and gives me vivid dreams. I only take 100mg daily."

Solveig1 February 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "DANGER!! DANGER!! Do your research before you take this drug. There is a potential contaminant that could lead to serious health conditions. I took this garbage for 1 month and my face swelled up and my breathing became restricted before I looked into it more and discovered the possibility of a condition called esonophilic mylagia which is correlated with improper production techniques. I stopped taking it but the side effects still linger."

martin67vang January 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I have been taking 5htp for about for days and feel sleepy all the time. Has anyone else found this or have any advice for me?"

Ryan v December 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "5-HTP HAS CHANGED MY LIFE!!! I'm 27 and have suffered from chronic depression since I was 13. Have attempted to take my life several times and by age 17 I took to drugs to get away from my depression. I spent years searching for a substance/experience to help me feel "normal" Once I got clean the depression came back worse than ever. I tried several meds cymbalta/prozac/effecxor and they all made me worse or no effect. Once I started 5-htp I started to feel better within 3 days. I play around between 100-300mg and they just work like magic for me. I feel totally normal on them I buy mine off internet and I can honestly say I have suffered no side effects whatsoever other than very vivid dreams. I would highly recommend everyone to try."

JohnG89 December 25, 2016