User Reviews for 5-hydroxytryptophan

Also known as: 5-HTP

Learn more about 5-hydroxytryptophan.

Depression 3 reviews 79 medications

Insomnia 9 reviews 107 medications

5.2
Summary of 5-hydroxytryptophan reviews 64 reviews 6.9

Reviews for 5-hydroxytryptophan

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "5htp has changed my life ! After trying tons of antidepressant medications none of them are working so I decided to try something natural five HTP is amazing and helps with sleep, helps with stress and just makes you feel like a wonderful kind of you. A good feeling all the time, I love it and I recommend it to everybody"

Red 19 (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "I have been unable to sleep for years and have tried everything from OTC to prescription without much relief. I read about 5 HTP (100mg) and decide to try it. At first it seemed to help somewhat, but not a dramatic change. I then added 5mg Melatonin and that seems to do the trick. I am sleeping a lot better, although not through the night. However, now when I awake I read about 30-45 minutes and then go back to sleep for the remainder of the night. I sometimes, also take another 5HTP. Overall satisfied with results. I am definitely sleeping better and longer."

Goochy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 5, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "It has been the only thing that has relieved my symptoms of depression and anxiety and possibly my pain. The only downside is that it makes me vomit, make sure you eat BEFORE taking it. Also can make stomach hurt and nauseous. That's the only reason I didn't give it a 10."

5htp (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I felt great...very calm and confident. But combining 5-HTP with alcohol has caused adverse reactions. Additionally, I feel a sudden down swing, sometimes, and take a second dose, each dose being 50 mg. Since the supplement I take called Medulla also contains GABA, I am not sure I am doing the right thing, especially drinking up to 4 glasses of wine per night. Lately, I have poured the wine out, because I've felt odd. I am afraid that combining this with other supplements I take, plus Avapro for hypertension might eventually do harm, as the depression feels on the edge of returning and I feel agitated at times."

Portend April 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I have been troubled with severe generalised anxiety disorder (GAD) and social anxiety disorder for several years. I occasionally get panic attacks as well, and I struggle with insomnia. I have tried escitalopram, venlafaxine and sertraline in the past; and while they all helped a lot (specially the first 6 months) they did by no means take off more than 40-50% of the anxiety - max. I have been on 5-HTP for 1 week now. I am astonished of how well it works! I have absolutely no anxiety left! I feel completely normal... I don't have social anxiety, I don't even think or worry about issues that I usually always did and that has tormented me so long. Of course all this can be placebo, but I have tried many medications and no one can compare to this!"

Sufferer of GAD + insomnia April 11, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I have been taking 5-HTP for about a month now for depression and mood swings. Works on depression and moods but over the last few days I have been experiencing severe stomach cramps. I have not changed my diet and still doing and taking everything as normal. The only difference is that I had added 5-HTP to my daily diet. After experiencing these stomach cramps I decided to research these effects it was having on me. Apparently stomach cramps are a well known side effect of 5-HTP so I have decided to stop taking them and try something different. "

NoNickname (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "So far so good as only on it for about 5 days at 300mg per day. I have combined it with multi vitamin, vitamin b complex, niacin plus vitamin c. I am reducing big pharma medication to almost nil and feel better with 5-htp. Better sleeps, better days as I divide the dosages at breakfast, dinner and before bed. Big pharma medications only mask up the problem whilst this feels so normal."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I've usually been able to pull myself out of episodes of anxiety/depression through CBT and other non-drug strategies but this was becoming harder and harder to do, especially after the death of my dad. Long story short - I looked into non-pharmaceutical supplements because I'd sooner be sad and anxious than foggy and addicted. 5HTP helped me and I have experienced no side effects. I take it at night, am able to sleep well with no residual grogginess in the morning. Am I a happy person now? No, but I'm not miserable and my interest in life is increasing. I'm more optimistic which in itself is a big deal and I'm finding that I'm not going down the 'dark path' of negative thoughts as often or for as long."

HotelMusic April 7, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "Took 50mg sublingual this morning kicked in about 30 minutes longer.. Had not eaten.. Wanted to see how it worked.. I am bipolar.. GAD and PTSD. I do suffer from anxiety and panic attacks. Made me feel happy but it caused me too much mania meaning high and very anxious. Increased my talking. Did give a boost but not great for anxiety. I have just eaten so it would bring me down some."

Pink sunshine (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "This stuff works great! For people that get sick or anything I'm just going to tell you, most likely you got serotonin syndrome from it because of too much of the chemical in your system and that is dangerous so be careful. I do note that it makes me sleep super well but the grogginess tends to linger around and I need a couple cups of coffee to cut through it. That being said I have that niarvana feeling of calmness and clarity. My mood and motivation is improved massively as well. I had especially hard times with waking up and getting started in anything that includes things I love doing and finishing things, after taking this it right away really sparked up my missing link. I will probably get st. Joins wort for tolerance breaks."

Aldoyle (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "It's caused mixed rxn, often awake and cannot return to sleep. Foggy feelings during the day, with occasional odd sense of impending doom. Anxiety that keeps me indoors...But, when I decide to go out despite odd feelings, I find myself to be strangely aggressive. It's a seems that I'm less tolerant to other people. For example, there is a cashier who is always rude, a real eye roller, with frequent head shaking and sighs. Well, after she rolled her eyes at me for asking for a pen, she reluctantly smacked down on the counter. I tossed it at her after using it. Hmmm, this is odd behavior for me, I usually don't react to other people like that..So, I've decided to quit this 5- Htp for now. I could end up doing something that gets me on the news"

Intentionally Blank February 19, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "It helped me sleep at 1st for a few days and even slowed my brain down from racing thoughts but the past couple days its not been working. I have been up all night tonight as well as the night before. Also I have been having headaches that don't go away with ibuprophen. I am gonna try and only take 1 a day instead if 2. My husband got me this to help me sleep. What he didn't realize is I was sleeping it just took me a couple hrs sometimes. Occasionally maybe 10 times out of a yr I can't sleep all night. This is my 1st time taking meds and I don't know what to do. Ugh I am not happy. $22 down the drain."

Joyfuljennie86 February 4, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I am 24 and have suffered from depression and severe anxiety since I was a young teenager. I've attempted suicide and been on tons of antidepressants which didn't help. My brother researched natural medicine and found this to treat his depression plus st johns wort in the mornings, and I decided to try it per his recommendation. So glad I found this. I finally feel like life is worth living and have hope in the future again. I take the 5-htp at night because it knocks me out and gives me vivid dreams. I only take 100mg daily."

Solveig1 February 2, 2017

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "DANGER!! DANGER!! Do your research before you take this drug. There is a potential contaminant that could lead to serious health conditions. I took this garbage for 1 month and my face swelled up and my breathing became restricted before I looked into it more and discovered the possibility of a condition called esonophilic mylagia which is correlated with improper production techniques. I stopped taking it but the side effects still linger."

martin67vang January 10, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I have been taking 5htp for about for days and feel sleepy all the time. Has anyone else found this or have any advice for me?"

Ryan v December 30, 2016

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "5-HTP HAS CHANGED MY LIFE!!! I'm 27 and have suffered from chronic depression since I was 13. Have attempted to take my life several times and by age 17 I took to drugs to get away from my depression. I spent years searching for a substance/experience to help me feel "normal" Once I got clean the depression came back worse than ever. I tried several meds cymbalta/prozac/effecxor and they all made me worse or no effect. Once I started 5-htp I started to feel better within 3 days. I play around between 100-300mg and they just work like magic for me. I feel totally normal on them I buy mine off internet and I can honestly say I have suffered no side effects whatsoever other than very vivid dreams. I would highly recommend everyone to try."

JohnG89 December 25, 2016

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Fibromyalgia: "100mg of 5 HTP has been very effective for my insomnia and Fibro. I combine it with an edible of THC/ melatonin. I have been doing this for 4 months and feel much better. It's not the magic bullet but better than prescription drugs. I was taking Norco and Valium."

Madalaine (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 25, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I tried to take 5-HTP for depression and anxiety accompanied by insomnia (early morning awakenings). I took antidepressant in the past, and it really helped, but this time I decided to try natural remedy. I went from 100 mg a day to 300mg. At first the results were great-just like when I took antidepressant. My depression lifted, sleep improved, I was not as anxious. Unfortunately, after a few weeks 5-HTP just stopped working. The positive effects were very short-lived."

Tashka (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 21, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "for those who may not be aware Could a Gene Mutation be causing your depression or bipolar? i highly recommend researching this -With the MTHFR gene mutation you may not be able to make the enough of the active form of the vitamin folate/ vit b9 needed to make the neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine causing mental health problems- google: balancingbrainchemistry the treatment for this gene mutation is taking mentholated b12 and and methyl folate/b9"

robnz October 19, 2016

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "I suffer from depression, anxiety, ptsd, panic attacks, insomnia & migraines. I prefer holistic treatments so after some research tried 5HTP. All my "issues" have either improved massively or disappeared completely. I take 100mg time release each morning. In times of extra stress I take another 100mg at night just to stay on top of everything. Note: Your body needs a break from 5HTP every now & then or it will become used it & not be as effective. I usually take it for 3 months then take a 1 to 2 month break (during which I supplement with St John's Wort if I find I'm having any "head space" or stress issues). IMPORTANT: Check with dr if you are already on antiD meds as it can interract with some nasty side effects."

Earthmumma October 18, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Insomnia: "This pill made me loose my mind. Do not take it. My experience was I couldn't sleep, I had the worse panick attacks. This pill should not be on the market due to it's horrible the effects it had on me"

Women11 (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "This medication made me so ungodly sick; I vomited all night! I couldn't stop shaking! Scariest thing I've been through! Sorry I wasted my $ on it."

Kit kay (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) for Anxiety: "Regular user of this "

Devotee (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 11, 2016

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Took this to try and stay natural been dealing with anxiety recently and read a lot good reviews and a few bad. Went to walmart and purchased day before yesterday and took 1 pill just before I went to sleep. When I woke up it was like a living nightmare! Anxiety was magnified by 1000! Never have I felt so out of control! It was very scary horrible thoughts went through my head. I went back and read some more reviews and read another person had the same experience as me so I am not alone. It was unbelievable how a herbal pill can make you react I was so scared I forced myself to take zquil so I could try and sleep it off I prayed it would work and it did. Woke up about 8hrs later feeling much better. Hope that more people read this!"

brian Edwards August 28, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety: "Listed my reason for taking as anxiety but I am taking it for depression also. Jarrow's 5htp has been amazing for me. I've been taking 50mg in the morning and at night, I've felt the best that I've felt in months. Happy, in a good mood, far less anxious than I usually am. I'm feeling excited to live each day again. Did not work immediately but after a few days I started to feel the good effects."

Kellbellllll August 28, 2016