Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 12, 2020.
Uses of Zofran:
- It is used to treat or prevent upset stomach and throwing up.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Zofran?
- If you have an allergy to ondansetron or any other part of Zofran (ondansetron oral solution).
- If you are allergic to Zofran (ondansetron oral solution); any part of Zofran (ondansetron oral solution); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a long QT on ECG.
- If you are taking apomorphine.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Zofran (ondansetron oral solution).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Zofran (ondansetron oral solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Zofran?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Zofran (ondansetron oral solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Zofran) best taken?
Use Zofran (ondansetron oral solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Zofran (ondansetron oral solution). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Zofran (ondansetron oral solution).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Zofran (ondansetron oral solution) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Zofran (ondansetron oral solution) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Stomach pain.
- Trouble passing urine.
- A type of abnormal heartbeat (prolonged QT interval) has happened with Zofran (ondansetron oral solution). Sometimes, this has led to another type of unsafe abnormal heartbeat (torsades de pointes). Call your doctor right away if you have a fast or abnormal heartbeat, or if you pass out.
- A severe and sometimes deadly problem called serotonin syndrome may happen. The risk may be greater if you also take certain other drugs. Call your doctor right away if you have agitation; change in balance; confusion; hallucinations; fever; fast or abnormal heartbeat; flushing; muscle twitching or stiffness; seizures; shivering or shaking; sweating a lot; severe diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up; or very bad headache.
What are some other side effects of Zofran?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Zofran?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Protect from light.
- Store upright with the cap on.
- Store in original container.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Zofran (ondansetron oral solution), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
More about Zofran (ondansetron)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- 242 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: 5HT3 receptor antagonists
- Patient Information
- Zofran injection
- Zofran (Advanced Reading)
- Zofran Oral, Oromucosal (Advanced Reading)
- Zofran (Ondansetron Injection)
- Zofran (Ondansetron Tablets)
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.