Generic Name: Ciclesonide Nasal Aerosol (sye KLES oh nide)
Brand Name: Zetonna
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 20, 2020.
Uses of Zetonna:
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Zetonna?
- If you have an allergy to ciclesonide or any other part of Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol).
- If you are allergic to Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol); any part of Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Zetonna?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- It may take a few weeks to see the full effect.
- This medicine may raise the chance of cataracts or glaucoma. Talk with the doctor.
- Talk with your doctor if you come into contact with anyone who has chickenpox or measles and you have not had chickenpox, measles, or the vaccines for them.
- If you have had any recent nose surgery, injury, ulcers, or sores, talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may affect growth in children and teens in some cases. They may need regular growth checks. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Zetonna) best taken?
Use Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol) by mouth. Use in your nose only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes (may burn).
- Prime by spraying 3 sprays before first use or if Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol) has not used for 10 days.
- If the device is dropped and it comes apart, put back together and test spray before using.
- Blow your nose before use.
- When using, tilt your head back.
- Close 1 nostril.
- Put nose spray tube into other nostril.
- Spray up the nose only. Do not spray onto the wall joining the two nostrils.
- Put the cap back on after you are done using your dose.
- Do not blow your nose for 15 minutes after you use Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol).
- Follow how to clean carefully.
- Keep using Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Do not use near an open flame or while smoking. It may burst.
- This product has a dose counter to keep track of how many doses are left. Throw away when the dose counter reaches "0."
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
- Signs of infection like fever, chills, very bad sore throat, ear or sinus pain, cough, more sputum or change in color of sputum, pain with passing urine, mouth sores, or wound that will not heal.
- Signs of a weak adrenal gland like a very bad upset stomach or throwing up, very bad dizziness or passing out, muscle weakness, feeling very tired, mood changes, not hungry, or weight loss.
- Nose sores.
- Runny nose that is new or worse.
- Whistling sound when you breathe.
- Redness or white patches in mouth or throat.
- Change in eyesight.
What are some other side effects of Zetonna?
- Nose or throat irritation.
- Ear pain.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Zetonna?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from heat or open flame. Do not puncture or burn even if it seems empty.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal aerosol), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about Zetonna (ciclesonide nasal)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: nasal steroids
- FDA Approval History
Other brands: Omnaris