Generic Name: Eluxadoline (el ux AD oh leen)
Brand Name: Viberzi
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 10, 2020.
Uses of Viberzi:
- It is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Viberzi?
- If you are allergic to Viberzi (eluxadoline); any part of Viberzi (eluxadoline); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: A problem with the part of your body that controls the flow of bile and pancreas juice to the small bowels (sphincter of Oddi), bile tract blockage, liver problems, or stomach or bowel blockage.
- If you do not have a gallbladder. The chance of very bad pancreatitis is higher in people who do not have a gallbladder. This could lead to having to go to the hospital or death.
- If you have or had problems with alcohol abuse, alcohol addiction, or drink more than 3 alcoholic drinks per day.
- If you have ever had any of these health problems: Pancreas problems like blockage in your pancreas or pancreatitis, problems caused by constipation, or very bad or long-lasting constipation.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Alosetron; loperamide; opioid drugs like oxycodone; or oxybutynin or other drugs like it.
- If you are taking any drugs that may cause constipation. There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Viberzi (eluxadoline).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Viberzi (eluxadoline) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Viberzi?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Viberzi (eluxadoline). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- If you have liver problems, avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Viberzi (eluxadoline) affects you.
- Severe and sometimes deadly pancreas problem (pancreatitis) has happened with Viberzi (eluxadoline). If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- A problem with the part of your body that controls the flow of bile and pancreas juice to the small bowels (sphincter of Oddi) has happened with Viberzi (eluxadoline). Sometimes, people have had to go to the hospital.
- If you are 65 or older, use Viberzi (eluxadoline) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Viberzi) best taken?
Use Viberzi (eluxadoline) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take Viberzi (eluxadoline) with food.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a pancreas problem (pancreatitis) like very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain that is new or worse.
- Stomach pain that may move to your back or shoulder, with or without upset stomach or throwing up.
- Constipation has happened with Viberzi (eluxadoline). Some people have had to go to the hospital. Sometimes, very bad constipation has led to other very bad health problems like bowel blockage and holes in the bowel. If you have very bad constipation, call your doctor right away.
What are some other side effects of Viberzi?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach.
- Signs of a common cold.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Viberzi?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Viberzi (eluxadoline) is refilled. If you have any questions about Viberzi (eluxadoline), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Viberzi (eluxadoline)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 204 Reviews
- Drug class: peripheral opioid receptor mixed agonists/antagonists
- FDA Alerts (1)
- FDA Approval History