Uretron D/ S
Generic Name: hyoscyamine/methenamine/methylene blue/phenyl salicylate/sodium phosphate (HYE-oh-SYE-a-meen/meth-EN-a-meen/METH-i-leen/FEN-il sa-LIS-i-late/SOE-dee-um FOS-fate)
Brand Name: Examples include Uta and Uretron D/S
Uretron D/ S is used for:
Treating painful and irritating symptoms of the urinary tract due to urinary tract infections or diagnostic procedures.
Uretron D/S is a urinary antiseptic, urinary acidifier, analgesic, and anticholinergic combination. It works by helping to kill bacteria in the urine, decreasing pain and inflammation, and reducing muscle spasms in the urinary tract. These actions work together to help relieve discomfort while urinating.
Do NOT use Uretron D/ S if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Uretron D/S
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin, other salicylate medicines, or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- you have angle-closure glaucoma, problems with your esophagus, bowel motility problems, a blockage of your bladder or bowel, severe intestinal problems (eg, ulcerative colitis), severe bleeding, flu or chickenpox, myasthenia gravis, severe kidney problems, or you are severely dehydrated
- you are taking a sulfonamide (eg, sulfamethoxazole)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Uretron D/ S:
Some medical conditions may interact with Uretron D/S. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have constipation, diarrhea, an infection of the stomach or bowel, a hiatal hernia, or stomach ulcers
- if you have nervous system problems, glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G-6-PD) deficiency, gout, influenza, Kawasaki syndrome, rheumatic disease, open-angle glaucoma, risk factors for angle-closure glaucoma, kidney or liver problems, an enlarged prostate, bladder problems, or you are unable to urinate
- if you have a history of stroke or brain blood vessel problems (eg, aneurysm), an irregular heartbeat, heart blood vessel problems, congestive heart failure, heart valve problems, or other heart problems
- if you are on a low-salt (sodium) diet
- if you are taking medicine for a mental or mood problem
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Uretron D/S. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticholinergics (eg, benztropine) because they may increase the risk of Uretron D/S's side effects
- Ketoconazole because it may decrease Uretron D/S's effectiveness
- Narcotic pain medicine (eg, codeine) because the risk of serious side effects may be increased
- Medicine for myasthenia gravis (eg, ambenonium), phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole), thiazide diuretics (eg, hydrochlorothiazide), or urinary alkalinizers (eg, sodium bicarbonate) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Uretron D/S
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Uretron D/S may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Uretron D/ S:
Use Uretron D/S as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Uretron D/S by mouth with or without food.
- Do not take antacids or antidiarrheal medicines that has loperamide) within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take Uretron D/S.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Uretron D/S is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of Uretron D/S, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Uretron D/S.
Important safety information:
- Uretron D/S may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Uretron D/S with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use more often than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Uretron D/S may discolor the urine or stool a blue-green color. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Uretron D/S contains salicylate. Salicylates have been linked to a serious illness called Reye syndrome. Do not give Uretron D/S to a child or teenager who has the flu, chickenpox, or a viral infection. Contact your doctor with any questions or concerns.
- Use Uretron D/S with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitement, agitation, drowsiness, and confusion.
- Uretron D/S is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Uretron D/S while you are pregnant. Uretron D/S is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Uretron D/S, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Uretron D/ S:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dry mouth; flushing; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; difficulty urinating; dizziness; fast or irregular heartbeat.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Uretron D/S:
Store Uretron D/S between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Uretron D/S out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Uretron D/S, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Uretron D/S is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Uretron D/S or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Uretron D/S. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Uretron D/S. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Uretron D/S.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Uretron DS (hyoscyamine / methenamine / methylene blue / phenyl salicylate)
- Side Effects
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: urinary antispasmodics