Generic Name: Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Oral Powder (ten OF oh vir dye soe PROX il FUE ma rate)
Brand Name: Viread
- Hepatitis B has gotten worse when tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder was stopped in some people with hepatitis B. Close follow-up for a few months is needed when therapy is stopped in people who have hepatitis B. Do not stop taking this medicine without calling your doctor. Talk with your doctor.
Uses of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Oral Powder:
- It is used to treat HIV infection.
- It is used to treat hepatitis B infection.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Oral Powder?
- If you have an allergy to tenofovir or any other part of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking another drug that has the same drug in it.
- If you are taking adefovir.
- If you are taking any drugs that can raise the chance of kidney problems. There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take this medicine.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Oral Powder?
For all uses of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder:
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Bone problems like bone pain, soft bones, and thin bones have happened with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder. This may lead to broken bones. You may need to have a test to check your bones. Talk with your doctor.
- Take calcium and vitamin D as you were told by your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine does not stop the spread of diseases like HIV or hepatitis that are passed through blood or having sex. Do not have any kind of sex without using a latex or polyurethane condom. Do not share needles or other things like toothbrushes or razors. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may rarely cause swollen liver and an acid health problem in the blood. This may be deadly in some cases. The chance may be higher in women, in overweight people, and in people who have taken drugs like this one for a long time. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine while you are pregnant.
Treating HIV infection:
- This medicine is not a cure for HIV. Stay under the care of your doctor.
- Hepatitis B testing needs to be done as you were told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- If giving to your child, the dose of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder may need to be changed as your child's weight changes. Have your child's weight checked often. Talk with the doctor before changing your child's dose.
Hepatitis B infection:
- This medicine is not a cure for hepatitis infection. Stay under the care of your doctor.
- You will need to have an HIV test as you were told by your doctor. Talk with your doctor.
How is this medicine (Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Oral Powder) best taken?
Use this medicine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder at the same time of day.
- It is important that you do not miss or skip a dose of this medicine during treatment.
- Keep taking tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Use only the scoop that comes with the powder to measure powder.
- Mix powder with 2 to 4 ounces (60 to 120 mL) of a soft food like applesauce, baby food, or yogurt. Swallow right away without chewing. Chewing the food may make it taste very bad.
- Do not mix with any liquid.
- Wash and dry the scoop after each use. Do not store it in the bottle.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you are not sure what to do if you miss a dose, call your doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
For all uses of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Signs of too much lactic acid in the blood (lactic acidosis) like fast breathing, fast heartbeat, a heartbeat that does not feel normal, very bad upset stomach or throwing up, feeling very sleepy, shortness of breath, feeling very tired or weak, very bad dizziness, feeling cold, or muscle pain or cramps.
- Low mood (depression).
- Bone pain.
- Muscle pain or weakness.
- Pain in arms or legs.
Treating HIV infection:
- This medicine may help the immune system work. If you have an infection that you did not know you had, it may show up when you take tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder. Tell your doctor right away if you notice any signs of infection like fever, sore throat, weakness, cough, or shortness of breath after you start this medicine.
What are some other side effects of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Oral Powder?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Trouble sleeping.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate Oral Powder?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to throw out unused drugs.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using tenofovir disoproxil fumarate oral powder.
Review Date: November 1, 2017
More about tenofovir
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- 10 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs)
Other brands: Viread