Generic Name: methylprednisolone (METH-il-pred-NIS-oh-lone)
Brand Name: Examples include A-methapred and Solu-Medrol
Solu-Medrol solution is used for:
Treating certain conditions associated with decreased adrenal gland function. It is also used to treat severe inflammation caused by certain conditions, including severe asthma, severe allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, certain blood disorders, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and certain eye and skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Solu-Medrol solution is a corticosteroid. It works by modifying the body's immune response to various conditions and decreasing inflammation.
Do NOT use Solu-Medrol solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Solu-Medrol solution
- you are presently taking mifepristone
- the patient is a premature infant
- you have a systemic fungal infection
- you are scheduled to have a live vaccine (eg, smallpox vaccine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Solu-Medrol solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Solu-Medrol solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of bleeding problems, heart problems (eg, congestive heart failure, recent heart attack), high blood pressure, kidney problems, liver problems (eg, cirrhosis), low blood potassium levels, diabetes, seizures, an underactive or overactive thyroid, adrenal gland problems, fluid retention (eg, swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet), or any mental or mood problems
- if you have recently had a fungal, bacterial, viral, or other type of infection; herpes infection of the eye or other eye problems (eg, glaucoma, cataracts); chickenpox; measles; or shingles
- if you have HIV infection or tuberculosis (TB), or you have ever had a positive TB skin test
- if you have any stomach problems (eg, ulcers), intestinal problems (eg, blockage, perforation, infection, unexplained diarrhea, diverticulitis, ulcerative colitis), or inflammation of the esophagus, or you have had recent intestinal surgery
- if you have weak bones (eg, osteoporosis), muscle problems (eg, myasthenia gravis), or recent head trauma
- if you have had any recent vaccinations (eg, smallpox)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Solu-Medrol solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aprepitant, azole antifungals (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole), clarithromycin, cyclosporine, diltiazem, neostigmine, or troleandomycin because side effects, such as adrenal gland or nervous system problems (eg, seizures) or severe muscle weakness, may occur
- Estrogens (eg, oral contraceptives) and macrolide antibiotics (eg, erythromycin) because they may increase the risk of Solu-Medrol solution's side effects
- Aminoglutethimide, barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, cholestyramine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), lithium, or rifampin because they may decrease Solu-Medrol solution's effectiveness
- Amphotericin B, aspirin, digoxin, live vaccines, mifepristone, potassium-depleting diuretics (eg, furosemide), quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), or ritodrine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Solu-Medrol solution
- Aldesleukin, oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), antidiabetic medications (eg, glipizide), isoniazid, salicylates (eg, aspirin), or certain skin tests (eg, skin allergy tests) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Solu-Medrol solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Solu-Medrol solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Solu-Medrol solution:
Use Solu-Medrol solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Solu-Medrol solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Solu-Medrol solution at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Solu-Medrol solution. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Solu-Medrol solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Solu-Medrol solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Solu-Medrol solution.
Important safety information:
- Solu-Medrol solution may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Solu-Medrol solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Diabetes patients - Solu-Medrol solution may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine while you are using Solu-Medrol solution.
- Serious health problems have happened when corticosteroids, including Solu-Medrol solution, have been given into the spine (epidural). These include paralysis, blindness, stroke, and sometimes death. Safety and effectiveness of corticosteroids given into the spine have not been confirmed. Corticosteroids are not approved for this use. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Solu-Medrol solution may have benzyl alcohol in it. Do not use medicine with benzyl alcohol in NEWBORNS or INFANTS. It may cause serious and sometimes fatal nervous system problems and other side effects. Check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if your product has benzyl alcohol in it.
- Lab tests, including adrenal function, blood pressure monitoring, and eye exams, may be performed while you use Solu-Medrol solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Solu-Medrol solution may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Solu-Medrol solution for a few days before the tests.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use Solu-Medrol solution.
- Solu-Medrol solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Solu-Medrol solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Solu-Medrol solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Solu-Medrol solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Dizziness; facial flushing; headache; increased sweating; mild nausea; pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site; stomach pain or bloating; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody, black, or tarry stools; changes in body fat; changes in menstrual period; chest pain; fainting; fever, chills, or sore throat; increased hunger, thirst, or urination; mental or mood changes (eg, depression, personality or behavioral changes); muscle pain, weakness, or wasting; seizures; severe nausea or vomiting; shortness of breath; slow, fast, or irregular heartbeat; slow wound healing; stomach pain; sudden, severe dizziness or headache; swelling of the feet or legs; tendon, bone, or joint pain; thinning or discoloration of the skin; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual skin sensation; unusual weight gain; vision changes or other eye problems; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Solu-Medrol solution:
Solu-Medrol solution is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Solu-Medrol solution at home, store Solu-Medrol solution as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Solu-Medrol solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Solu-Medrol solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Solu-Medrol solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Solu-Medrol solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Solu-Medrol solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Solu-Medrol solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Solu-Medrol solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Solu-Medrol (methylprednisolone)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 8 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: glucocorticoids