Generic Name: reteplase (reh-TEH-plase)
Brand Name: Retavase and Retavase Half-Kit
Retavase Half-Kit is used for:
Improving heart function and reducing long-term effects of a heart attack. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Retavase Half-Kit is a tissue plasminogen activator. It works by activating a substance that helps to break up blood clots. Blood clots can prevent oxygen and nutrients from getting to the heart, which causes tissue death and long-term damage to the heart.
Do NOT use Retavase Half-Kit if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Retavase Half-Kit
- you have an aneurysm, heart or blood vessel defects, bleeding disorders, severe uncontrolled high blood pressure, a history of stroke, or internal bleeding; you have had brain or spinal surgery; or you have suffered recent trauma
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Retavase Half-Kit:
Some medical conditions may interact with Retavase Half-Kit. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a disease or infection in the heart, brain, or blood vessels; severe liver or kidney disease; blood in the urine or stool; a stomach ulcer that is bleeding; high blood pressure; or bleeding in your eye because of diabetes or other conditions; you are taking blood thinners; or you have had recent major surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Retavase Half-Kit. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Blood thinners (eg, warfarin, heparin, enoxaparin) because the risk of bleeding will be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Retavase Half-Kit may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Retavase Half-Kit:
Use Retavase Half-Kit as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Retavase Half-Kit is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- If you miss a dose of Retavase Half-Kit, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Retavase Half-Kit.
Important safety information:
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Retavase Half-Kit.
- Retavase Half-Kit may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. To prevent bleeding, avoid situations in which bruising or injury may occur. Report any unusual bleeding, bruising, blood in stools, or dark, tarry stools to your doctor.
- Retavase Half-Kit is not recommended for use in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Retavase Half-Kit, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Retavase Half-Kit during pregnancy. It is unknown if Retavase Half-Kit is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Retavase Half-Kit, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Retavase Half-Kit:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; bleeding at the injection site; chest pain; severe bleeding; sudden, severe headache; trouble breathing; vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Retavase Half-Kit:
Retavase Half-Kit is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Retavase Half-Kit at home, store Retavase Half-Kit as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider.
- If you have any questions about Retavase Half-Kit, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Retavase Half-Kit is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Retavase Half-Kit or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Retavase Half-Kit. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Retavase Half-Kit. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Retavase Half-Kit.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Retavase Half-Kit (reteplase)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: thrombolytics
Other brands: Retavase