The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: iron and folic acid (EYE-urn/FOE-lik AS-id)
Brand Name: Examples include Proferrin-Forte and Tandem F
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or doctor at once.
Proferrin-Forte is used for:
Treating anemia caused by low levels of iron or folate in the blood. It is used during pregnancy to prevent and treat low levels of iron in the blood and to provide a maintenance dose of folic acid. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Proferrin-Forte is an iron and folic acid combination. It works by replacing or adding iron and folic acid when the body does not produce enough of its own.
Do NOT use Proferrin-Forte if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Proferrin-Forte
- you have pernicious anemia or hemolytic anemia
- you have certain iron metabolism problems (eg, hemosiderosis, hemochromatosis), or you have high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Proferrin-Forte:
Some medical conditions may interact with Proferrin-Forte. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, ulcerative colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis, a peptic ulcer)
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions, anemia, or a blood disorder (eg, thalassemia, porphyria)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Proferrin-Forte. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate, risedronate), cephalosporins (eg, cephalexin), hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), methyldopa, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), thrombopoietin mimetics (eg, eltrombopag), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Proferrin-Forte
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Proferrin-Forte may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Proferrin-Forte:
Use Proferrin-Forte as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Proferrin-Forte is absorbed better on an empty stomach but may be taken with food if it upsets your stomach.
- If you are taking a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), a cephalosporin (eg, cephalexin), methyldopa, penicillamine, a quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), a tetracycline (eg, minocycline), or a thrombopoietin mimetic (eg, eltrombopag) along with Proferrin-Forte, you may need to space the doses several hours apart. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how much time is needed between doses of Proferrin-Forte and your other medicines.
- Do not take Proferrin-Forte within 1 hour before or 2 hours after antacids, eggs, whole grain breads or cereal, milk, milk products, coffee, or tea.
- Take Proferrin-Forte with a full glass (8 oz/240 mL) of water.
- Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking Proferrin-Forte.
- If you miss a dose of Proferrin-Forte, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Proferrin-Forte.
Important safety information:
- Proferrin-Forte has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away. Keep Proferrin-Forte out of the reach of children.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) unless otherwise directed by your doctor.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose or take Proferrin-Forte for longer than 6 months without checking with your doctor.
- Proferrin-Forte may darken the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Proferrin-Forte may cause false test results with kits used to check for blood in the stool or blood cholesterol. Check with your doctor if you are using either kind of test kit.
- Lab tests, including blood tests and iron levels, may be performed while you use Proferrin-Forte. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Proferrin-Forte should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Proferrin-Forte is intended for use during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Proferrin-Forte, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Proferrin-Forte:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; heartburn; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; fever; severe or persistent vomiting with continuing stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, bloody, or tarry stools; blue or pale skin; coma; drowsiness; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Proferrin-Forte:
Store Proferrin-Forte at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Proferrin-Forte out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Proferrin-Forte, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Proferrin-Forte is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Proferrin-Forte or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Proferrin-Forte. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Proferrin-Forte. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Proferrin-Forte.