Generic Name: multivitamins with folic acid/iron (muhl-tee-VYE-ta-mins/FOE-lik AS-id/EYE-urn)
Brand Name: Examples include Ferocon and TL Icon
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
TL Icon is used for:
Treating or preventing low levels of vitamins, folic acid, and iron in the body. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
TL Icon is a vitamin, folic acid, and iron supplement. It works by providing extra vitamins, folic acid, and iron to the body when you need more than what you get in your diet.
Do NOT use TL Icon if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in TL Icon
- you have certain iron metabolism problems (eg, hemosiderosis, hemochromatosis) or high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using TL Icon:
Some medical conditions may interact with TL Icon. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bowel problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), certain blood disorders (eg, hemolytic or pernicious anemia, porphyria cutanea tarda, thalassemia), glucose-6-phosphate-dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency, or a peptic ulcer
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with TL Icon. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by TL Icon
- Cephalosporin antibiotics (eg, cephalexin), eltrombopag, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), methyldopa, mycophenolate, penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), tetracycline antibiotics (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by TL Icon
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if TL Icon may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use TL Icon:
Use TL Icon as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take TL Icon by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take TL Icon with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take TL Icon.
- Avoid taking TL Icon with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in TL Icon.
- If you miss a dose of TL Icon, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use TL Icon.
Important safety information:
- Do not take large doses of vitamins while you use TL Icon unless your doctor tells you to.
- TL Icon may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- TL Icon has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- TL Icon has folic acid and iron in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has folic acid or iron in it too. If it does not or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using TL Icon while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use TL Icon, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of TL Icon:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood in the vomit; persistent nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; blood in the vomit; diarrhea; headache; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of TL Icon:
Store TL Icon at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep TL Icon out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about TL Icon, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- TL Icon is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take TL Icon or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about TL Icon. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to TL Icon. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using TL Icon.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about TL Icon (multivitamin with iron)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating