Generic Name: folic acid/iron/vitamin c (FOE-lik AS-id/EYE-urn/VYE-ta-min C)
Brand Name: Examples include FoliTab 500 and Iron-C
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or a doctor at once.
FoliTab 500 is used for:
Preventing and treating certain types of anemia (eg, caused by low blood iron levels, poor nutrition). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
FoliTab 500 is a vitamin, folic acid, and iron combination. It works by providing vitamins, folic acid, and iron to the body.
Do NOT use FoliTab 500 if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in FoliTab 500
- you have certain iron metabolism problems (eg, hemosiderosis, hemochromatosis) or you have high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using FoliTab 500:
Some medical conditions may interact with FoliTab 500. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have pernicious anemia or a history of other blood problems (eg, porphyria, thalassemia)
- if you have a peptic ulcer or stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcerative colitis)
- if you have glucose-6-phosphate-dehydrogenase (G6PD), a bleeding problem, have had multiple blood transfusions, or are receiving dialysis
- if you have a history of seizures
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with FoliTab 500. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by FoliTab 500
- Bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate), cephalosporins (eg, cefdinir), hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, methyldopa, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by FoliTab 500
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if FoliTab 500 may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use FoliTab 500:
Use FoliTab 500 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take FoliTab 500 by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take FoliTab 500.
- Avoid taking FoliTab 500 with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in FoliTab 500.
- If you also take a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), a cephalosporin (eg, cefdinir), methyldopa, penicillamine, a quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or a tetracycline (eg, doxycycline), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with FoliTab 500.
- If you miss a dose of FoliTab 500, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use FoliTab 500.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while you use FoliTab 500 unless your doctor tells you to.
- FoliTab 500 has folic acid and iron in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it also has folic acid or iron in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- FoliTab 500 has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- FoliTab 500 may interfere with certain lab tests, including tests used to check for blood in the stool. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking FoliTab 500.
- Lab tests, including hematocrit, hemoglobin levels, and blood iron levels, may be performed while you use FoliTab 500. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- FoliTab 500 should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using FoliTab 500 while you are pregnant. FoliTab 500 is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use FoliTab 500, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of FoliTab 500:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry, or bloody stools; severe or persistent stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry, or bloody stools; blue or unusually pale skin; drowsiness or dizziness; fast heartbeat; increased thirst or urination; seizures; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; sluggishness; vomiting blood; weakness.Proper storage of FoliTab 500:
Store FoliTab 500 at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep FoliTab 500 out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about FoliTab 500, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- FoliTab 500 is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take FoliTab 500 or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about FoliTab 500. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to FoliTab 500. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using FoliTab 500.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about FoliTab 500 (multivitamin with iron)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating