Ferrex 150 Forte Plus
Generic Name: cyanocobalamin/vitamin c/folic acid/iron/succinic acid (SYE-an-oh-koe-BAL-a-min/VYE-ta-min/FOE-lik AS-id/EYE-urn/sux-IN-ic AS-id)
Brand Name: Ferrex 150 Forte Plus
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or a doctor at once.
Ferrex 150 Forte Plus is used for:
Preventing and treating certain types of anemia (eg, caused by low blood iron levels, poor nutrition). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ferrex 150 Forte Plus is a vitamin, folic acid, and iron combination. It works by providing vitamins, folic acid, and iron to the body.
Do NOT use Ferrex 150 Forte Plus if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ferrex 150 Forte Plus
- you have certain iron metabolism problems (eg, hemochromatosis, hemosiderosis) or have high levels of iron in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ferrex 150 Forte Plus:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ferrex 150 Forte Plus. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have pernicious anemia, hemolytic anemia, or a history of other blood problems (eg, porphyria, thalassemia)
- if you have a peptic ulcer, stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcerative colitis), or liver problems
- if you have glucose-6-phosphate-dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency or a bleeding problem, have had multiple blood transfusions, or if you are receiving dialysis
- if you have a history of seizures
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ferrex 150 Forte Plus. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Fluorouracil because the risk of its side effects may be increased by Ferrex 150 Forte Plus
- Bisphosphonates (eg, alendronate), cephalosporins (eg, cefdinir), hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, methyldopa, penicillamine, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin), tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline), or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Ferrex 150 Forte Plus
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ferrex 150 Forte Plus may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ferrex 150 Forte Plus:
Use Ferrex 150 Forte Plus as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Ferrex 150 Forte Plus by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- If you also take an antacid, a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), a cephalosporin (eg, cefdinir), methyldopa, penicillamine, a quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or a tetracycline (eg, doxycycline), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Ferrex 150 Forte Plus.
- If you miss a dose of Ferrex 150 Forte Plus, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ferrex 150 Forte Plus.
Important safety information:
- Do not take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while you use Ferrex 150 Forte Plus unless your doctor tells you to.
- Ferrex 150 Forte Plus has folic acid and iron in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it also has folic acid or iron in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Ferrex 150 Forte Plus has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Ferrex 150 Forte Plus may interfere with certain lab tests, including tests used to check for blood in the stool. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are taking Ferrex 150 Forte Plus.
- Lab tests, including hematocrit, hemoglobin levels, and blood iron levels, may be performed while you use Ferrex 150 Forte Plus. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Ferrex 150 Forte Plus should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ferrex 150 Forte Plus while you are pregnant. Ferrex 150 Forte Plus is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ferrex 150 Forte Plus, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ferrex 150 Forte Plus:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry, or bloody stools; severe or persistent stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry, or bloody stools; blue or unusually pale skin; drowsiness or dizziness; fast heartbeat; increased thirst or urination; seizures; severe or persistent diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain, or vomiting; sluggishness; vomiting blood; weakness.Proper storage of Ferrex 150 Forte Plus:
Store Ferrex 150 Forte Plus at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ferrex 150 Forte Plus out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ferrex 150 Forte Plus, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ferrex 150 Forte Plus is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ferrex 150 Forte Plus. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Ferrex 150 Forte Plus (multivitamin with iron)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: iron products