Primatene Mist aerosol
Generic Name: epinephrine (ep-i-NEF-rin)
Brand Name: Examples include Asthmahaler and Primatene Mist
Primatene Mist aerosol is used for:
Treating shortness of breath, chest tightness, and wheezing associated with asthma, emphysema, and other breathing problems. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Primatene Mist aerosol is an alpha- and beta-receptor stimulant. It works by widening the airway, which makes it easier to breathe.
Do NOT use Primatene Mist aerosol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Primatene Mist aerosol
- you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the past 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Primatene Mist aerosol:
Some medical conditions may interact with Primatene Mist aerosol. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have an overactive thyroid, urinary problems, an enlarged prostate, diabetes, high blood pressure, ischemic heart disease, irregular heartbeat, or other heart problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Primatene Mist aerosol. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), droxidopa, or phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine) because the risk of high or low blood pressure and fast or slow heartbeat may be increased
- Bromocriptine, furazolidone, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because the risk of side effects, such as headache, high temperature, and high blood pressure, may be increased
- Catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, entacapone), digoxin, or medicines for irregular heartbeat (eg, quinidine) because they may increase the risk of Primatene Mist aerosol's side effects
- Guanethidine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Primatene Mist aerosol
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Primatene Mist aerosol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Primatene Mist aerosol:
Use Primatene Mist aerosol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Primatene Mist aerosol. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Before using Primatene Mist aerosol, be sure that the canister is properly placed in the inhaler unit. Shake well. Breathe out slowly and completely. Place the mouthpiece between your lips and try to rest your tongue flat, unless your doctor has told you otherwise. Your doctor may have told you to hold the inhaler 1 or 2 inches (2 or 3 centimeters) away from the open mouth or to use a special spacing device. As you start to take a slow deep breath, press the canister and mouthpiece together at exactly the same time. This will release a dose of Primatene Mist aerosol. Continue breathing in slowly and deeply and hold for as long as comfortable, then breathe out slowly through pursed lips or your nose. If more than 1 inhalation is to be used, wait a few minutes and repeat the above steps. Keep the spray away from your eyes.
- If you miss a dose of Primatene Mist aerosol, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Primatene Mist aerosol.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Primatene Mist aerosol may cause dry mouth or an unpleasant taste in your mouth. Rinsing your mouth with water after each dose may help relieve these effects.
- Primatene Mist aerosol should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 4 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Primatene Mist aerosol while you are pregnant. Primatene Mist aerosol is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Primatene Mist aerosol, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Primatene Mist aerosol:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Difficulty sleeping; fast heartbeat; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; tremors.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include headache; irregular heartbeat; nausea; tremor; vomiting; weakness.Proper storage of Primatene Mist aerosol:
Store Primatene Mist aerosol at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Keep Primatene Mist aerosol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Primatene Mist aerosol, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Primatene Mist aerosol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Primatene Mist aerosol or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Primatene Mist aerosol. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Primatene Mist aerosol. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Primatene Mist aerosol.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Primatene Mist (epinephrine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 9 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: adrenergic bronchodilators