How is the new Primatene Mist different to the old formulation?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 1, 2020.
Why was the old Primatene Mist removed from the market?
The new Primatene Mist is a metered dose inhaler (MDI) of epinephrine containing hydrofluoroalkane (HFA) propellants instead of CFC propellants.
In 2011, OTC Primatene Mist (epinephrine) was removed from U.S. pharmacy shelves due to international agreements to phase out products worldwide containing ozone-depleting chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). However, in 2018 Primatene Mist returned to the U.S. market with a newly patented formulation.
- Primatene Mist is used for the temporary relief of mild symptoms of intermittent asthma (eg, wheezing, chest tightness, shortness of breath) in patients aged ≥12 years.
- The new mixture of Primatene Mist is a metered dose inhaler (MDI) of epinephrine containing hydrofluoroalkane (HFA) propellants instead of CFC propellants.
- The product’s new inhalation delivery system also provides a built-in spray indicator and a metal canister which replaces the original glass container.
- Primatene Mist returns as the only FDA-approved asthma inhaler available without a prescription in the U.S.
- View the step-by-step directions for use below.
If you have used Primatene Mist for asthma symptoms, see a doctor if:
- you are not better in 20 minutes or get worse
- need more than 8 inhalations in 24 hours
- have more than 2 asthma attacks in a week.
Related Medical Questions
- Norepinephrine vs epinephrine: what's the difference?
- Can vitamin C prevent or treat COVID-19 (coronavirus)?
- Prednisone vs Prednisolone - What's the difference?
- What are the side effects of steroids?
- Trelegy vs. Breo: How do they compare?
- Is loss of sense of smell a symptom of COVID-19?
- Can you take Symbicort and prednisone together?
- Does coffee help with asthma?
- Can you take Trelegy and Symbicort together?
- Is Wixela Inhub the same as Advair Diskus?
- Does Fasenra weaken your immune system?
- How long does it take for Nucala to work?
- How long does Fasenra take to work?
- What is Fasenra used for and how does it work?
- How does Dupixent help with asthma?
- How long does an asthma attack last?
- Primatene Mist Information for Consumers
- Primatene Mist Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Primatene Mist (detailed)