Generic Name: Thyroid, Desiccated (THYE roid DES i kay tid)
Brand Name: Armour Thyroid, Nature-Throid, NP Thyroid, Westhroid, WP Thyroid
- Do not use Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated) to treat obesity or for weight loss. Very bad and sometimes deadly side effects may happen with Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated) if it is taken in large doses or with other drugs for weight loss. Talk with the doctor.
Uses of Nature-Throid:
- It is used to add thyroid hormone to the body.
- It is used to treat or prevent an enlarged thyroid.
- It is used to manage thyroid cancer.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Nature-Throid?
- If you have an allergy to thyroid drugs or any other part of Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated).
- If you are allergic to Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated); any part of Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Overactive thyroid gland or weak adrenal gland.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Nature-Throid?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not run out of Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated).
- It may take several weeks to see the full effects.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is made from pork (pig) thyroid tissue. There is a very small risk of getting a viral disease from Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated). No cases have been reported. If you have questions, talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Nature-Throid) best taken?
Use Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is best to take Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated) on an empty stomach.
- There is more than 1 brand of Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated). One brand cannot safely be used for the other. The doctor will tell you about any needed change.
- Do not take colesevelam, colestipol, or cholestyramine within 4 hours of Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated).
- Some foods like soybean flour (infant formula) may change how Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated) works in your body. Talk with your doctor.
- Take Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated) at the same time of day.
- Keep taking Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Fast or abnormal heartbeat.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Lump on the neck.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Bothered by heat.
- Sweating a lot.
- Feeling more or less hungry.
- A change in weight without trying.
- Stomach cramps.
- Throwing up.
- Feeling irritable.
- Leg cramps.
- Muscle weakness.
- Period (menstrual) changes.
What are some other side effects of Nature-Throid?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Hair loss may happen in some people in the first few months of using Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated). This most often goes back to normal.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Nature-Throid?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Nature-Throid (thyroid, desiccated), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Nature-Throid (thyroid desiccated)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 66 Reviews
- Drug class: thyroid drugs
- FDA Alerts (3)