Generic Name: Cromolyn (Nasal) (KROE moe lin, NA zal)
Brand Name: NasalCrom
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
Uses of NasalCrom:
- It is used to ease allergy signs.
- It is used to prevent nose stuffiness.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take NasalCrom?
- If you have an allergy to cromolyn sodium or any other part of NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take NasalCrom?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you have had any recent nose surgery, injury, ulcers, or sores, talk with your doctor.
- It may take a few weeks to see the full effect.
- Do not use NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)) to treat a sinus infection, asthma, or cold symptoms.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (NasalCrom) best taken?
Use NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)) to prevent the allergy. Once signs start, NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)) will not help.
- Do not take NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)) by mouth. Use in your nose only. Keep out of your mouth and eyes (may burn).
- Shake well before use.
- Blow your nose before use.
- Close 1 nostril.
- Tilt your head forward a little.
- Put nose spray tube into other nostril.
- While breathing in through the nose, press down once to release spray.
- Breathe out from your mouth.
- Spray up the nose only. Do not spray onto the wall joining the two nostrils.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Shortness of breath.
- Bad nose irritation.
What are some other side effects of NasalCrom?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Nose irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out NasalCrom?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about NasalCrom (cromolyn (nasal)), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.