Generic Name: Dronedarone (droe NE da rone)
Brand Name: Multaq
Medically reviewed on Sep 5, 2018
- Do not use Multaq (dronedarone) if you have very bad heart failure. Do not use Multaq (dronedarone) if you have had to go to the hospital lately for your heart failure. The risk of dying may be greater. Talk with your doctor.
- Do not use Multaq (dronedarone) if you have a type of atrial fibrillation (Afib) called permanent Afib. The risk of dying, stroke, and having to go to the hospital for heart failure may be greater. Talk with your doctor.
Uses of Multaq:
- It is used to treat certain types of abnormal heartbeats.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Multaq?
- If you have an allergy to dronedarone or any other part of Multaq (dronedarone).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have had liver or lung problems when taking amiodarone.
- If you have any of these health problems: Heart block or a heart problem called sick sinus syndrome without a working pacemaker, liver disease, long QT on ECG, or slow heartbeat.
- If you have any of these health problems: Low potassium or magnesium levels.
- If you are pregnant or may be pregnant. Do not take Multaq (dronedarone) if you are pregnant.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Multaq (dronedarone).
- If you are taking any drugs used for a heartbeat that is not normal.
- If you are taking any drugs that can cause a certain type of heartbeat that is not normal (prolonged QT interval). There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- If you take any drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) that must not be taken with Multaq (dronedarone), like certain drugs that are used for HIV, infections, or depression. There are many drugs that must not be taken with Multaq (dronedarone). Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you if you are taking a drug that must not be taken with Multaq (dronedarone).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Multaq (dronedarone).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Multaq (dronedarone) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Multaq?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Multaq (dronedarone). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You may need to have an ECG checked before starting Multaq (dronedarone) and while taking it. Talk with your doctor.
- Avoid grapefruit and grapefruit juice.
- This medicine may affect how much of some other drugs are in your body. If you are taking other drugs, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while taking Multaq (dronedarone) with your other drugs.
- Liver problems have happened with Multaq (dronedarone). Sometimes, this has been very bad and a liver transplant has been needed. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause harm to the unborn baby if you take it while you are pregnant. If you are pregnant or you get pregnant while taking Multaq (dronedarone), call your doctor right away.
- Use birth control that you can trust to prevent pregnancy while taking Multaq (dronedarone).
How is this medicine (Multaq) best taken?
Use Multaq (dronedarone) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with meals.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking Multaq (dronedarone) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Signs of lung or breathing problems like shortness of breath or other trouble breathing, cough, or fever.
- Slow heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Heart failure has happened with Multaq (dronedarone), as well as heart failure that has gotten worse in people who already have it. Sometimes, this has been deadly. Tell your doctor if you have heart disease. Call your doctor right away if you have shortness of breath, a big weight gain, a heartbeat that is not normal, or swelling in the arms or legs that is new or worse.
- Kidney problems like kidney failure have happened in people taking Multaq (dronedarone). Most of the time, these effects have gone back to normal when Multaq (dronedarone) was stopped and with care. Call your doctor right away if you have a change in the amount of urine passed.
What are some other side effects of Multaq?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Multaq?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time Multaq (dronedarone) is refilled. If you have any questions about Multaq (dronedarone), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Multaq (dronedarone)
- Multaq Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 28 Reviews
- Drug class: group III antiarrhythmics
- FDA Alerts (3)