Grass Pollen Allergen Extract (5 Grass Extract)
Generic Name: Grass Pollen Allergen Extract (5 Grass Extract) (GRAS POL uhn al er juhn EK strakt five GRAS EK strakt)
Brand Name: Oralair, Oralair Adult Sample Kit, Oralair Childrens and Adolescents Sample Kit
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 6, 2019.
- Allergic reactions have happened with grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract). Rarely, some reactions can be very bad or life-threatening. Talk with the doctor.
- The first dose will be given in a doctor's office.
- Your doctor will give you another drug (epinephrine) to use in case of an allergic reaction. Be sure you know how and when to use it. Certain drugs may make epinephrine not work as well or raise the chance of side effects. This includes some drugs used to treat depression, heart problems, or high blood pressure. There are many drugs that interact with epinephrine. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure it is safe to take epinephrine with all of your drugs.
- Do not take grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract) if you have very bad asthma or asthma that is not controlled.
Uses of Grass Pollen Allergen Extract:
- It is used to treat a grass pollen allergy.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Grass Pollen Allergen Extract?
- If you have an allergy to grass pollen allergen extract or any other part of grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have asthma.
- If you ever had a very bad allergic reaction.
- If you have ever had eosinophilic esophagitis.
- If you have sores or other irritation in your mouth or throat.
- If you have a mouth or throat infection.
- If you are having or have had recent dental work or surgery in the mouth.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Grass Pollen Allergen Extract?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine will not help allergy signs get better if the signs are already present. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is most useful if started before contact with the allergen. Take at least 4 months before.
- If you have asthma and you have trouble breathing or your asthma gets harder to control, call your doctor right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Grass Pollen Allergen Extract) best taken?
Use grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract) out of the blister pack until you are ready to take it. Take grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract) right away after opening the blister pack. Do not store the removed drug for future use.
- Place under tongue and let dissolve all the way before you swallow. Do not chew, suck, or swallow tablet.
- Do not eat or drink while the tablet is dissolving or for 5 minutes after the tablet dissolves.
- Wash hands after use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss more than 1 day of taking grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract), talk with your doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Trouble swallowing or speaking.
- Pain with swallowing.
- Chest pain or pressure, a fast heartbeat, or passing out.
- Shortness of breath.
- Cough that does not go away.
- Severe diarrhea.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach cramps.
- Very bad belly pain.
What are some other side effects of Grass Pollen Allergen Extract?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Itching in the ear, mouth, or tongue.
- Throat pain.
- Throat irritation.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Grass Pollen Allergen Extract?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract) is refilled. If you have any questions about grass pollen allergen extract (5 grass extract), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about mixed grass pollens allergen extract
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: allergenics
- Mixed grass pollens allergen extract
- Sweet vernal/orchard/perennial rye/timothy/kentucky blue grass mixed pollen allergen extract Sublingual (Advanced Reading)
Other brands: Oralair