Generic Name: Gabapentin Oral Solution (GAB a PEN tin)
Brand Name: Neurontin
Uses of Gabapentin Oral Solution:
- It is used to treat seizures.
- It is used to treat painful nerve diseases.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Gabapentin Oral Solution?
- If you have an allergy to gabapentin or any other part of gabapentin oral solution.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have kidney disease or are on dialysis.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with this medicine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take gabapentin oral solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Gabapentin Oral Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how gabapentin oral solution affects you.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take this medicine.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol or use other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- This medicine is not the same as gabapentin enacarbil (Horizant™). Do not use in its place. Talk with the doctor.
- A very bad and sometimes deadly reaction has happened with gabapentin oral solution. Most of the time, this reaction has signs like fever, rash, or swollen glands with problems in body organs like the liver, kidney, blood, heart, muscles and joints, or lungs. Talk with the doctor.
- Do not stop taking this medicine all of a sudden without calling your doctor. You may have a greater risk of side effects. If you need to stop gabapentin oral solution, you will want to slowly stop it as ordered by your doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use this medicine with care. You could have more side effects.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using gabapentin oral solution while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Gabapentin Oral Solution) best taken?
Use this medicine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Keep taking gabapentin oral solution as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Do not take antacids within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking this medicine.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with gabapentin oral solution. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure this medicine.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Change in eyesight.
- Feeling confused.
- Shortness of breath, a big weight gain, or swelling in the arms or legs.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Not able to control eye movements.
- If seizures are worse or not the same after starting gabapentin oral solution.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Swollen gland.
- Fever or chills.
- Sore throat.
- Muscle pain or weakness.
- Change in balance.
- Trouble speaking.
- Not able to focus.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Patients who take this medicine may be at a greater risk of having thoughts or actions of suicide. The risk may be greater in people who have had these thoughts or actions in the past. Call the doctor right away if signs like low mood (depression), nervousness, restlessness, grouchiness, panic attacks, or changes in mood or actions are new or worse. Call the doctor right away if any thoughts or actions of suicide occur.
What are some other side effects of Gabapentin Oral Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Dry mouth.
- Feeling tired or weak.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Gabapentin Oral Solution?
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time gabapentin oral solution is refilled. If you have any questions about this medicine, please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take gabapentin oral solution or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to gabapentin oral solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
Review Date: February 7, 2018
More about gabapentin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1558 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: gamma-aminobutyric acid analogs
- Gabapentin Capsules
- Gabapentin Tablets (PHN)
- Gabapentin Tablets 600 mg and 800 mg
- Gabapentin (Advanced Reading)