Generic name: Vancomycin Oral Solution (van koe MYE sin)
Brand name: First-Vancomycin 25, First-Vancomycin 50, Firvanq
Drug class: Glycopeptide antibiotics
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Dec 19, 2020.
Uses of First-Vancomycin 25:
- It is used to treat diarrhea caused by a bacterial infection called C diff.
- It is used to treat a type of bowel infection.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take First-Vancomycin 25?
- If you have an allergy to vancomycin or any other part of First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution).
- If you are allergic to First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution); any part of First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take First-Vancomycin 25?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Kidney problems like kidney failure have happened with First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution). Tell your doctor if you have ever had kidney problems.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- You may need to have hearing tests while you use First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution). Talk with the doctor.
- Do not use longer than you have been told. A second infection may happen.
- Use with care in children. Talk with the doctor.
- If you are 65 or older, use First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (First-Vancomycin 25) best taken?
Use First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Keep taking First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Your pharmacist will need to mix First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution) before you get it.
- Shake well before use.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of kidney problems like unable to pass urine, change in how much urine is passed, blood in the urine, or a big weight gain.
- Signs of low potassium levels like muscle pain or weakness, muscle cramps, or a heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Pain when passing urine.
- This medicine may cause hearing loss that may not go away. The chance may be higher if you use First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution) for a long time. Do not use First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution) longer than you have been told by your doctor. Tell your doctor right away if you have a change in hearing or hearing loss.
What are some other side effects of First-Vancomycin 25?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain or diarrhea.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Back pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out First-Vancomycin 25?
- Store in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Protect from light.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Be sure you know how long you can store First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution) before you need to throw it away.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about First-Vancomycin 25 (vancomycin oral solution), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
- Can you drink alcohol while taking vancomycin?
- What is the difference between Firvanq and the CutisPharma FIRST-Vancomycin Compounding Kit?
More about vancomycin
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- 40 Reviews
- Drug class: glycopeptide antibiotics
- Latest FDA Alerts (5)
- Drug Information
- Vancomycin injection
- Vancomycin (Advanced Reading)
- Vancomycin Intravenous, Injection (Advanced Reading)
- Vancomycin Capsules
- Vancomycin Oral Solution
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.