Generic Name: Butalbital, Aspirin, and Caffeine (byoo TAL bi tal, AS pir in, & KAF een)
Brand Name: Fiorinal
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 14, 2019.
Uses of Fiorinal:
- It is used to treat tension headaches.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Fiorinal?
- If you have an allergy to butalbital, aspirin, caffeine, or any other part of Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have gotten nasal polyps or had swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat; unusual hoarseness; or trouble breathing with aspirin or NSAID use.
- If you have any of these health problems: Bleeding problems like hemophilia or von Willebrand's disease, liver problems, low platelet count, porphyria, or ulcers or other problems in the stomach or bowels.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
- If your child or teenager has or is getting better from flu signs, chickenpox, or other viral infections. The risk of a very bad problem called Reye's syndrome may be raised. Do not give Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine) to a child or teenager who has or is getting better from a viral infection.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Fiorinal?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Avoid driving and doing other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert until you see how Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine) affects you.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine).
- This medicine may be habit-forming with long-term use.
- Do not take Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- Avoid alcohol or other drugs and natural products that slow your actions.
- You may bleed more easily. Be careful and avoid injury. Use a soft toothbrush and an electric razor.
- If you have high blood sugar (diabetes), you will need to watch your blood sugar closely.
- Limit your use of caffeine (for example, tea, coffee, cola) and chocolate. Use with Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine) may cause nervousness, shakiness, and a fast heartbeat.
- If you are 65 or older, use Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine) with care. You could have more side effects.
- Birth control pills and other hormone-based birth control may not work as well to prevent pregnancy. Use some other kind of birth control also like a condom when taking Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine).
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Fiorinal) best taken?
Use Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- This medicine is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of bleeding like throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds; coughing up blood; blood in the urine; black, red, or tarry stools; bleeding from the gums; vaginal bleeding that is not normal; bruises without a reason or that get bigger; or any bleeding that is very bad or that you cannot stop.
- Very bad belly pain.
- A very bad skin reaction (Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Fiorinal?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Fiorinal?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Fiorinal (butalbital, aspirin, and caffeine), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Fiorinal (aspirin / butalbital / caffeine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 67 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: analgesic combinations
Other brands: Butalbital Compound