Generic Name: colestipol (koe-LES-ti-pol)
Brand Name: Colestid
Colestipol is used for:
Lowering blood cholesterol levels. It is used along with changes in diet.
Colestipol is a bile acid sequestrant. It works in the bowel to help remove bile acids from the body. The body then uses cholesterol to make more bile acids. This causes blood cholesterol levels to decrease.
Do NOT use colestipol if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in colestipol
- you have severe constipation, bile blockage or drainage problems, certain types of high blood lipid levels, or hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis (a type of high blood acid level)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using colestipol:
Some medical conditions may interact with colestipol. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have constipation, hemorrhoids, or problems swallowing, or if you choke easily
- if you have heart disease, blood problems (eg, bleeding or clotting problems), high blood triglyceride levels, kidney or liver problems, or underactive thyroid
- if you cannot absorb nutrients properly into your body
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with colestipol. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because their effectiveness may be altered by colestipol
- Chlorothiazide, digoxin, furosemide, gemfibrozil, hydrochlorothiazide, mycophenolate or mycophenolic acid, oral hydrocortisone, oral phosphate supplements, penicillin, or tetracycline because their effectiveness may be decreased by colestipol
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if colestipol may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use colestipol:
Use colestipol as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take colestipol by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow colestipol whole. Do not cut, crush, or chew tablets.
- Always take 1 tablet at a time. Swallow the tablet right away.
- Take each dose with at least 1 full glass (8 oz [240 mL]) of water or other liquid. Swallowing the tablet will be easier if you drink plenty of liquids as you swallow each tablet.
- Take any other medicines at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after you take colestipol.
- Drinking extra fluids and making sure you get enough fiber is recommended while you are taking colestipol. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Continue to take colestipol even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of colestipol, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use colestipol.
Important safety information:
- Colestipol may cause dizziness or light-headedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use colestipol with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Follow the diet and exercise program given to you by your health care provider.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If severe or persistent constipation occurs, ask your doctor about taking a stool softener while you take colestipol.
- If the tablet gets stuck after you swallow it, you may notice chest pressure or discomfort. If this happens, contact your doctor right away. Do not take another tablet unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Lab tests, including blood cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels, may be performed while you use colestipol. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Colestipol should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if colestipol can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using colestipol while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use colestipol, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of colestipol:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bloating; constipation; diarrhea; gas; heartburn; indigestion; loose stools; nausea; stomach pain or cramping; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the stools; chest pressure or discomfort; irregular heartbeat; muscle weakness; severe constipation; trouble swallowing; unusual bruising or bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of colestipol:
Store colestipol at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep colestipol out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about colestipol, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Colestipol is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take colestipol or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about colestipol. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to colestipol. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using colestipol.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about colestipol
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating