Generic Name: Cimetidine Oral Solution (sye MET i deen)
Uses of Cimetidine Oral Solution:
- It is used to treat or prevent GI (gastrointestinal) ulcers.
- It is used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD; acid reflux).
- It is used to treat heartburn and sour stomach.
- It is used to treat syndromes caused by lots of stomach acid.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Cimetidine Oral Solution?
- If you have an allergy to cimetidine or any other part of cimetidine oral solution.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are taking dofetilide.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take cimetidine oral solution.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with cimetidine oral solution.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take cimetidine oral solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Cimetidine Oral Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take cimetidine oral solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Tell your doctor if you have black, tarry, or bloody stools; you throw up blood; or your throw up looks like coffee grounds.
- If you have trouble swallowing, talk with your doctor.
- Some other drugs may need to be taken at some other time than cimetidine oral solution. If you take other drugs, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than cimetidine oral solution.
- This medicine may affect how much of some other drugs are in your body. If you are taking other drugs, talk with your doctor. You may need to have your blood work checked more closely while taking cimetidine oral solution with your other drugs.
- If you are 50 or older, use cimetidine oral solution with care. Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using cimetidine oral solution while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Cimetidine Oral Solution) best taken?
Use cimetidine oral solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food.
- Do not take antacids at the same time as cimetidine oral solution. Talk with your doctor.
- To prevent heartburn take cimetidine oral solution 30 minutes before eating foods or drinking liquids that cause heartburn.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with cimetidine oral solution. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure cimetidine oral solution.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take cimetidine oral solution on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times cimetidine oral solution is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Feeling confused.
- Feeling agitated.
- Mood changes.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- For males, enlarged breasts.
- Liver problems have happened with drugs like this one. Sometimes, this has been deadly. Call your doctor right away if you have signs of liver problems like dark urine, feeling tired, not hungry, upset stomach or stomach pain, light-colored stools, throwing up, or yellow skin or eyes.
What are some other side effects of Cimetidine Oral Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Cimetidine Oral Solution?
- Store at room temperature.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about cimetidine oral solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take cimetidine oral solution or any other medicine. Only the healthcare provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for a specific patient. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about cimetidine oral solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to cimetidine oral solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from the healthcare provider. You must talk with the healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using cimetidine oral solution.
Review Date: March 7, 2018
More about cimetidine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 8 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: H2 antagonists